Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2017, 22:42   #10441
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post
Unable to find much update on the Bangalore - Trivandrum route (lots of updates on Kochi route though!)

Google maps shows Hosur - Krishnagiri - Salem - Namakkal - Karur - Dindigul - Madurai - Kovilpatti - Tirunelveli - latch on to NH-944 - then NH-66 - Poovar - Kovalam - Trivandrum Is this the best route?
Though I'm not the expert, I think it is indeed the quickest way to get to Thiruvananthapuram from Bangalore. Two things to keep in mind, though:

1. Interior TN at this time of the year would be unbearably hot for many. Make sure your passengers can withstand the conditions that would be prevalent along your route. Keep fluids and ORS, and make sure your car a/c works.

2. The Nagercoil-Thiruvananthapuram sector I have heard is a frustrating drive with a single carriageway road (has it been converted yet?) and heavy traffic. Since you will be tired after your early start and day-long drive through TN, be doubly alert.

Edit: There is a team-bhp thread here: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...e-queries.html (Trivandrum to Bangalore : Route Queries)

Last edited by binand : 14th April 2017 at 23:06.
binand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2017, 10:03   #10442
Senior - BHPian

I returned from Chalakudy Sunday night. 4.15 PM start from Chalakudy and 12:45 AM at Whitefield Including 1 hour breaks.

Traffic was less till Coimbatore bypass (reached in 2 hour), but picked up from there. Google maps showed long red lines at Thoppur and Krishnagiri toll booths around 9 PM so decided to take Sankari bypass - Edappadi - Mecheri - Pennagaram - Palakode- Hosur road. Took exactly 3 hours (9 PM to 12 AM) to reach Hosur. Traffic was very very less till Palakode. After that there was occasional truck traffic.

Google maps was showing 12 AM to reach Hosur via NH route, so in effect I saved only the toll amount, not any time. Hence I wont take this route anymore, the roads were too deserted. Even though the drive was enjoyable, it was scary at some points.

Going forward, I will take Omalur bypass then take Thoppur toll and later turn to old highway via Palakode at Dharmapuri, if toll booths are clogged.

But Pennagaram - Sankari road is very good for an early morning relaxed drive, especially if one plans to reach Pennagaram around 6-6.30 AM.
arjithin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2017, 11:11   #10443
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post
Unable to find much update on the Bangalore - Trivandrum route (lots of updates on Kochi route though!)

Google maps shows Hosur - Krishnagiri - Salem - Namakkal - Karur - Dindigul - Madurai - Kovilpatti - Tirunelveli - latch on to NH-944 - then NH-66 - Poovar - Kovalam - Trivandrum Is this the best route? Considering it's GQ most of the way, I don't expect alternate roads to be better, however, considering 12 hrs of journey time on this route do we have similar or 80% similar roads that can cut down the travel time by an hour or two?

I intend to reach the destination before sundown, considering that I am planning to start from Banashankari 3rd stage by 4 am!

Max speed would be 90 kmph and at least 4 breaks of 30 mins each, is what I am considering at the moment. 1st break at Salem for breakfast.
This is the best route to Trivandrum, good 4L roads till Kavalkinaru(around 650Kms from bangalore), then its 2L but they are in good condition.

Challenge will be Nagercoil - Marthandam which is traffic heavy and there is a Flyover construction going on in Marthandam causing traffic jams.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2017, 10:58   #10444
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Krishnagiri - they changed the fastag lane.
Yes, I noticed that, but was a bit hard to reach as there was a truck in front trying to change lanes as he was not allowed into the lane.
Quote:
The big one was Kaniyur (the last one before Coimbatore). The queue must have been easily an hour long, but the booth staff valiantly guarded the fastag lane. The Rs. 200 extra, not to mention the charge for loading money to the tag, was all worth it to see the look of jealousy on the exasperated drivers who saw me cruising along what they thought was a non-functional lane.
Never thought that this side could have heavy traffic too. Haven't seen anything longer except at Toppur & Krishnagiri. However good that they maintain the lane for the tag users. I too had a good experience this time, though it was the morning of Vishu / Good friday. Travel time was just under 7.5 hrs, Bangalore - Thrissur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
Worst fasttag experience was at Paliakkara (thrissur) toll, there every one was allowed in fasttag lane.
Oops never thought this one could have heavy traffic. Also they were much more disciplined and used to open up whenever the lines are quite big.
Since I made my travel on the morning of Vishu, the traffic was much more sparse when I entered Kerala.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
Return is on Sunday evening. Thinking of starting around 4pm from Chalakudy and take the statehighway route from Bhavani.
Hope you had a safe and quick journey all the way back too
Old 19th April 2017, 11:30   #10445
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unni246 View Post
Quote:
The big one was Kaniyur (the last one before Coimbatore).
Never thought that this side could have heavy traffic too. Haven't seen anything longer except at Toppur & Krishnagiri.
Hmm. Why did you think they six-laned the Coimbatore-Avinash/Tiruppur section before even the state capital had the privilege? :-) That is a heavily industrialized corridor, with large number of people and goods movers travelling along this road. I have taken this section at various times of the day; in my view the traffic density peaks between 5 and 8 PM.

Anyway at the time I traveled a large fraction of the traffic must have been Malayalees living in the Coimbatore-Salem belt going home for Vishu/Easter.

Quote:
Hope you had a safe and quick journey all the way back too
I returned yesterday, via Kalpetta-Mysore. Had a terrible time negotiating the stretch between Gundlupet and Kalale due to early evening traffic and heavy rains. Finally stopped somewhere and waited the rain out which took about an hour. Started from Calicut at 3 PM and reached home at 11:30 PM.

If anyone needs a recommendation - I stopped for a late lunch or early dinner at Hotel Rolex at Kalloor. This is an old-world Kerala hotel - wooden benches, a samovar and a glass case with common "kadi" items (snacks that go with tea). They had hot parottas and freshly made non-chicken non-veg fry that was quite heavenly. I have had appams for breakfast here once in the past; the place does have good food.

binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2017, 12:25   #10446
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry, I always count from the left of the direction I'm travelling in. Best method to convey the message, provided I clearly mention it (which I didn't this time).
Guess I was not clear either.
What I meant that at Krishnagiri, they have numbered the lanes differently compared to Thoppur. At Krishnagiti, Lane 1 is numbered starting from your right hand side while at thoppur, the numbering starts from the left side. Hope it was more uniform.

On my return from Cochin, I started at 5PM. Not a good time to start, which I realised later. There was a lot of traffic till Wadakkencerry. The Paliyekkara toll had a huge line. They as usual let other vehicles occupy the FASTag lane. Guess they are least concerned about the tag lane. WHen I asked about this to the toll booth attendant, he was least bothered and as usual, got the arrogant reponse. Just lodged a grievance, hope this one gets resolved too.
All Roads to Kerala-gipl.jpg
The crowded toll.

And I see another toll coming up a bit after the Kuthiran tunnel. Its WIP.
All Roads to Kerala-img_20170414_032548_hht.jpg
The new toll, sorry about the bad picture quality.
Old 19th April 2017, 12:45   #10447
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmz View Post
And I see another toll coming up a bit after the Kuthiran tunnel. Its WIP.
Just FYI; NHAI rules say that distance between successive toll booths has to be 60 km minimum. But there is an exception to this rule that if the toll is to pay for a bridge, bypass road or tunnel. So this Kuthiran toll, even though it might be within 35 km of Paliyekkara toll, is justified as per NHAI.

Similarly for Attibele & BETL tolls & probably Thoppur & Omalur tolls.
Old 19th April 2017, 20:32   #10448
BHPian

Quote:
Hmm. Why did you think they six-laned the Coimbatore-Avinash/Tiruppur section before even the state capital had the privilege?
Clever guys indeed.

Quote:
I returned yesterday, via Kalpetta-Mysore.
If anyone needs a recommendation - I stopped for a late lunch or early dinner at Hotel Rolex at Kalloor. This is an old-world Kerala hotel

Thanks binand, I might take this route on my return on 1st of May and could probably try this out.

Quote:
Paliyekkara toll had a huge line. They as usual let other vehicles occupy the FASTag lane. Guess they are least concerned about the tag lane. WHen I asked about this to the toll booth attendant, he was least bothered and as usual, got the arrogant reponse. Just lodged a grievance, hope this one gets resolved too.
Nothing happens, I myself have lodged multiple complaints on Thoppur & Krishnagiri booths. They haven't even bothered to reply or call back
Old 19th April 2017, 20:46   #10449
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks binand, I might take this route on my return on 1st of May and could probably try this out.
I have added the place to Google Maps; it should be available for anyone to search and discover soon enough. This is my kind of place where I can chew the cud with the owner while downing a glass of strong and invigorating tea, made in the one true Kerala way. :-)
binand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2017, 20:50   #10450
BHPian

Quote:
Nothing happens, I myself have lodged multiple complaints on Thoppur & Krishnagiri booths. They haven't even bothered to reply or call back
Have you tried pgportal ?
I had lodged a grievance a while back on Thoppur plaza; I got a response and a snail mail from the NHAI Salem division. Pasted the response here
glenmz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2017, 20:56   #10451
BHPian

Quote:
I have added the place to Google Maps; it should be available for anyone to search and discover soon enough. This is my kind of place where I can chew the cud with the owner while downing a glass of strong and invigorating tea, made in the one true Kerala way. :-)
Great, that's the way to enjoy a good tea with some snacks ! My kind of way too

Quote:
Have you tried pgportal ?
I had lodged a grievance a while back on Thoppur plaza; I got a response and a snail mail from the NHAI Salem division. Pasted the response here
Nope, will definitely try that.
Think I wrote to: etc.nodal@ihmcl.com which was listed on http://www.nhai.org/
unni246 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2017, 22:18   #10452
BHPian

I did the Easter Vishu trip to Angamaly via Salem palghat. Started at 1am on 13th morning and was at Angamaly at 830am. The fastest that I have been. On Sunday the 16th,I started at 10pm from Kottayam and reached Bangalore by 6am. Again the fastest time ever.
All thanks to the better roads, sparse traffic and no queues at the toll booths.
Old 19th April 2017, 22:39   #10453
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijelj View Post
On Sunday the 16th,I started at 10pm from Kottayam and reached Bangalore by 6am. Again the fastest time ever.
My biggest problem with that arrival time is the heavy private bus traffic. That did not affect you? My personal assessment is that arrive in Bangalore before 5 am or not at all.
Old 20th April 2017, 15:08   #10454
BHPian

Driving from Thalassery to Kochi(Paravur) this weekend. Which one of these routes would you suggest, given road conditions and traffic? Haven't driven in this area for a while. Planning a early(sigh) morning start

Kozhikode byepass - Kuttipuram - Ponnani - Chavakkad - Kodungallur - Paravur

Kozhikode byepass - Chelari - Chettipadi - Tirur - Chamravattom - Ponnani - Chavakkad - Kodungallur - Paravur

Kozhikode byepass - Kuttipuram - Edappal - Kunnamkulam - Guruvayoor - Kodungallur - Paravur
Old 20th April 2017, 16:11   #10455
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSAneesh View Post
Driving from Thalassery to Kochi(Paravur) this weekend. Which one of these routes would you suggest, given road conditions and traffic? Haven't driven in this area for a while. Planning a early(sigh) morning start

Kozhikode byepass - Kuttipuram - Ponnani - Chavakkad - Kodungallur - Paravur

Kozhikode byepass - Chelari - Chettipadi - Tirur - Chamravattom - Ponnani - Chavakkad - Kodungallur - Paravur

Kozhikode byepass - Kuttipuram - Edappal - Kunnamkulam - Guruvayoor - Kodungallur - Paravur
How early in the morning?? Suggest 4 AM, so that you enjoy the drive than traffic!!!

My suggestion is Kozhikode bypass - Kuttipuram - thrissur - irinjalakuda - kodungallur - Paravur.

Plan for breakfast after crossing thrissur town.
arjithin is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed