Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2017, 08:56   #10456
BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
My biggest problem with that arrival time is the heavy private bus traffic. That did not affect you? My personal assessment is that arrive in Bangalore before 5 am or not at all.
You are right. I was at Electronic city by 530am. The lines at the toll for the ecity flyover was too much,so I took the normal road.Sheer luck led to my choosing the lanes which emptied faster at all the signals.Had to take the silk board flyover,the entrance of which was jammed by buses offloading passengers. I used the rightmost lane,survived the browbeating by the bigger buses and popped into madivala road. Then on normal traffic till my home in jayanagar.
Old 21st April 2017, 11:42   #10457
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Though I'm not the expert, I think it is indeed the quickest way to get to Thiruvananthapuram from Bangalore... The Nagercoil-Thiruvananthapuram sector I have heard is a frustrating drive with a single carriageway road
Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Challenge will be Nagercoil - Marthandam which is traffic heavy and there is a Flyover construction going on in Marthandam causing traffic jams.
Thank you, both! Started at 05:00 hrs from Bangalore and reached Kovalam by 18:00 hrs, with 4 breaks (Salem, Madurai, Capsi family restaurant and Nagercoil).

The single carriage way is indeed frustrating at the fag end of a long drive. That's not an issue however since it prepped me well for the next 9 days of driving in Kerala.

Please budget 90 mins of extra time due to the flyover construction. It was a royal mess despite reaching that section during off peak hours.

Last edited by Safety is Param : 21st April 2017 at 11:44.
Old 21st April 2017, 11:49   #10458
Lij
BHPian

How is the road condition from Vandiperiyar to Gavi? Planning to do a trip in 2nd or 3rd week of May, vehicle would be Linea 125S. If its quite bad I might opt for the KSRTC service.

Is the Seethathode-Angamoozhy-Gavi road open for private vehicles?

Also any chance of pachyderm encounter? Heard that recently it has become very rare on Vandiperiyar-Gavi route.

Last edited by Lij : 21st April 2017 at 11:50.
Old 21st April 2017, 15:35   #10459
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lij View Post
How is the road condition from Vandiperiyar to Gavi? Planning to do a trip in 2nd or 3rd week of May, vehicle would be Linea 125S. If its quite bad I might opt for the KSRTC service.

Is the Seethathode-Angamoozhy-Gavi road open for private vehicles?

Also any chance of pachyderm encounter? Heard that recently it has become very rare on Vandiperiyar-Gavi route.
Undertook the trip on this route during March. From bad to worst for almost 5 or 6 km, but manageable! If you can start by 6 am from the Forest check post gate, sighting might be a possibility! But, not much water inside the forest and the Gavi lake has only minimum water reserve. We had spotted panther near the lake. Try to book guest house (the one facing the lake front) online and try for a chinna bamba trekking. If you are not going with kids, try to book accommodation inside deep jungle to increase the chances of sighting animals!
Gokrish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2017, 15:44   #10460
Lij
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish View Post
Undertook the trip on this route during March. From bad to worst for almost 5 or 6 km, but manageable! If you can start by 6 am from the Forest check post gate, sighting might be a possibility! But, not much water inside the forest and the Gavi lake has only minimum water reserve. We had spotted panther near the lake. Try to book guest house (the one facing the lake front) online and try for a chinna bamba trekking. If you are not going with kids, try to book accommodation inside deep jungle to increase the chances of sighting animals!
Thanks!! The "bad to worst" is for which route - Vandiperiyar-Gavi or Angamoozhy-Gavi? Would be reaching the checkpost (Vandiperiyar side) around lunch time as I will be travelling from Aluva in the morning.

Yes plan is for an overnight stay, on that front how is the upkeep of the KFDC rooms in Gavi?
Old 21st April 2017, 17:05   #10461
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lij View Post
Thanks!! The "bad to worst" is for which route - Vandiperiyar-Gavi or Angamoozhy-Gavi? Would be reaching the checkpost (Vandiperiyar side) around lunch time as I will be travelling from Aluva in the morning.

Yes plan is for an overnight stay, on that front how is the upkeep of the KFDC rooms in Gavi?
I meant Vandiperiyar to Gavi forest route. Rooms are neat and clean. And the food and the services of the staff is excellent too! They may entice you with a Jeep trip to Chinna Bamba as it is not part of booking and it is worth it. Except the trekking to Sabarimala view point (via a different but restricted forest route, as claimed by the guide) and the ⛵, not many places to visit. Lake front guest houses with a tree top leisure place, are solar fenced on all sides and we spotted a panther near the guest house on its way to the lake.Have a good trip!
Gokrish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2017, 05:48   #10462
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish View Post
I meant Vandiperiyar to Gavi forest route. Rooms are neat and clean. And the food and the services of the staff is excellent too! They may entice you with a Jeep trip to Chinna Bamba as it is not part of booking and it is worth it. Except the trekking to Sabarimala view point (via a different but restricted forest route, as claimed by the guide) and the ⛵, not many places to visit. Lake front guest houses with a tree top leisure place, are solar fenced on all sides and we spotted a panther near the guest house on its way to the lake.Have a good trip!
Hi,

Did you mean the tents near the lake or Green mansion, the uphill rooms? Am planning on a first week of may trip there. Online weather suggests it'll be raining around that time. Have young kids along.. wanted to know if the tents near the lake would be safer for them.
Old 22nd April 2017, 07:49   #10463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanmd View Post
Hi,

Did you mean the tents near the lake or Green mansion, the uphill rooms? Am planning on a first week of may trip there. Online weather suggests it'll be raining around that time. Have young kids along.. wanted to know if the tents near the lake would be safer for them.
I didn't find the mansion near the musium exciting. I was referring to the tents near the lake that are clean and very exciting too! Though these tents are slightly away from the main office and dining area, they are safe as these are fenced on all sides. However, don't let the kids go outside the tent campus without somebody accompanying them even during day time as it was during day light that we spotted the animal!
Gokrish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2017, 18:02   #10464
BHPian

Hi Everyone,

Need some quick help on the Bangalore - Allepey - Munnar - Bangalore Route. Planning to do this route on the May1st long weekend.

Sorry for the long post. But, travelling to this part of Kerala after almost 8 years. Any kind of inputs will help Travelling with my wife.

Starting from Bangalore on Thursday evening - 27th April (Plan to be around electronic city around 5PM), plan is to reach Coimbatore by around 1030 PM.

1. Any suggestions of a good place to have dinner on the way would help. Won't mind an early dinner around 8 or 830PM as well.

Plan to leave Coimbatore the next day morning around 8AM and reach Allepey by around 2PM. Planning the route via Thissur which google map shows.

2. Any other alternate routes I can try between Coimbatore and Allepey?
3. Does it help if we leave very early (Say 5AM) from Coimbatore instead of 8AM. We thought we can have breakfast and leave from the Hotel itself

If we leave early, any good place to have breakfast on the way. I see from the other thread on team-bhp where people have mentioned that there is hardly anything available between Coimbatore and Thrissur.

4. Which is a good place to have breakfast between Coimbatore and Thrissur?

Now to the tricky part. We plan to leave from Allepey by around 11AM on Saturday and reach Munnar by around 5PM.

Google Map shows me 3 different route from Allepey to Munnar. The time difference between all the 3 routes is only around 10 minutes. (One is through NH 66/85 through Cochin and the other two are majorly through state highways 40).

5. Which is the best route to take between Allepey and Munnar?

The best route from Munnar to Bangalore I think should be through Thiruppur and Salem. Let me know if there are any alternatives for that as well. Plan to leave Munnar by around 10 or 11AM on Monday morning and reach Bangalore by evening.

Another big concern is getting stuck in tolls while returning on Monday evening. Long weekend and everyone returning back, is there any way around that problem ?
Old 22nd April 2017, 18:53   #10465
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimified View Post
Hi Everyone,

Need some quick help on the Bangalore - Allepey - Munnar - Bangalore Route. Planning to do this route on the May1st long weekend.

Sorry for the long post. But, travelling to this part of Kerala after almost 8 years. Any kind of inputs will help Travelling with my wife.

Starting from Bangalore on Thursday evening - 27th April (Plan to be around electronic city around 5PM), plan is to reach Coimbatore by around 1030 PM.

1. Any suggestions of a good place to have dinner on the way would help. Won't mind an early dinner around 8 or 830PM as well.

Plan to leave Coimbatore the next day morning around 8AM and reach Allepey by around 2PM. Planning the route via Thissur which google map shows.

2. Any other alternate routes I can try between Coimbatore and Allepey?
3. Does it help if we leave very early (Say 5AM) from Coimbatore instead of 8AM. We thought we can have breakfast and leave from the Hotel itself

If we leave early, any good place to have breakfast on the way. I see from the other thread on team-bhp where people have mentioned that there is hardly anything available between Coimbatore and Thrissur.

Now to the tricky part. We plan to leave from Allepey by around 11AM on Saturday and reach Munnar by around 5PM.

Google Map shows me 3 different route from Allepey to Munnar. The time difference between all the 3 routes is only around 10 minutes. (One is through NH 66/85 through Cochin and the other two are majorly through state highways 40).

5. Which is the best route to take between Allepey and Munnar?

The best route from Munnar to Bangalore I think should be through Thiruppur and Salem. Let me know if there are any alternatives for that as well. Plan to leave Munnar by around 10 or 11AM on Monday morning and reach Bangalore by evening
Another big concern is getting stuck in tolls while returning on Monday evening. Long weekend and everyone returning back, is there any way around that problem ?

1. There are many options for food..Large food plazas are there right after Salem, then right before Vaikundam toll booth, another one at end of Sankari bypass, then another one at Perundurai bypass, etc. You dont need to worry on this.
2. No, route via Thrissur is the best
3. Certainly it will help to save 1 hour+ driving time if you start at 5. You can cross all the towns till Angamali before traffic picks up.
4. If you leave CBE around 5 AM, you should reach Thrissur bypass around 7 and near to Kochi around 8. Be aware that typical Kerala hotels serve breakfast only after 7-730AM.

5. Stick to Kochi - Muvattupuzha - Kothamangalam - Munnar.
6. Return - Do expect delays on toll booths on May 1st second half. You can start early from Munnar or start very late to avoid traffic. Or why dont you plan to spend another day in KL and travel on Tuesday?

Edit: If you are not in a hurry, and want to try new roads & new car, you can try Avinashi - Chamarajanagar - Kollegal - Kanakpura - Bangalore. But that route for sure will take more time than NH route including toll delays, and has limited food/break options

Last edited by arjithin : 22nd April 2017 at 19:13. Reason: typo
Old 22nd April 2017, 20:57   #10466
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimified View Post
Hi Everyone,

If you are leaving Coimbatore at 5, then the best option would be close to Angamaly.
If you are leaving late, there are options as you reach Palakkad bypass, near Mannuthy bypass and also between Mannuthy and Angamaly (Aryaas, Aanandha bhavan).
Old 22nd April 2017, 21:42   #10467
BHPian

Did Bangalore - Thrissur today. Started at 10:45AM. Took the normal route - Bangalore-Salem-Coimbatore-Palakkad-Thrissur. All the tolls were pretty smooth. Reached home @8:00PM with a Lunch break of 45 mins.

Tried driving in 90 - 100 range and got a FE of 24.9 Kmpl. 100% AC in 23 - 24 Degc. Entire Tamil Nadu stretch, the outside temperature was 41 - 42 Deg.
Did 510 KMs with an average speed of 65Kmph.
Attached Thumbnails
All Roads to Kerala-1492877155278.jpg  

Last edited by Sree73 : 22nd April 2017 at 22:04.
Sree73 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2017, 22:45   #10468
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree73 View Post
Tried driving in 90 - 100 range and got a FE of 24.9 Kmpl. 100% AC in 23 - 24 Degc.
And this was the FE midway. Traffic in Kuthiran played spoilsport
Attached Thumbnails
All Roads to Kerala-1492881209149.jpg  

Old 23rd April 2017, 01:11   #10469
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
1. There are many options for food..Large food plazas are there right after Salem, then right before Vaikundam toll booth, another one at end of Sankari bypass, then another one at Perundurai bypass, etc. You dont need to worry on this.
2. No, route via Thrissur is the best
3. Certainly it will help to save 1 hour+ driving time if you start at 5. You can cross all the towns till Angamali before traffic picks up.
4. If you leave CBE around 5 AM, you should reach Thrissur bypass around 7 and near to Kochi around 8. Be aware that typical Kerala hotels serve breakfast only after 7-730AM.

5. Stick to Kochi - Muvattupuzha - Kothamangalam - Munnar.
6. Return - Do expect delays on toll booths on May 1st second half. You can start early from Munnar or start very late to avoid traffic. Or why dont you plan to spend another day in KL and travel on Tuesday?

Edit: If you are not in a hurry, and want to try new roads & new car, you can try Avinashi - Chamarajanagar - Kollegal - Kanakpura - Bangalore. But that route for sure will take more time than NH route including toll delays, and has limited food/break options

Thank you so much for the detailed reply. Will do all that you have suggested accordingly.

Will stop for dinner at Salem. Try and leave early next morning. If not 5 am, atleast as early as we can.

Can't come back on Tuesday since I can't take leave that day. Have an important monthly meet on that day at office :( Hopefully fasttag would help me beat some traffic at tolls!

The Kankpura Road is two lane I am guessing. Don't want to take the risk of taking that route since once the sun goes down, driving on those two lane roads becomes a hassle with headlights of oncoming traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansvk View Post
If you are leaving Coimbatore at 5, then the best option would be close to Angamaly.
If you are leaving late, there are options as you reach Palakkad bypass, near Mannuthy bypass and also between Mannuthy and Angamaly (Aryaas, Aanandha bhavan).
Thanks. I have made a note of that. Will try and have breakfast at Angamaly.
Old 23rd April 2017, 05:55   #10470
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
This is the best route to Trivandrum, good 4L roads till Kavalkinaru(around 650Kms from bangalore), then its 2L but they are in good condition.

Challenge will be Nagercoil - Marthandam which is traffic heavy and there is a Flyover construction going on in Marthandam causing traffic jams.

Took Nagercoil - Marthandam route last week but traffic was manageable. Yes there are traffic jams @ few places due to construction but did not have to wait too long
vinucv is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks