Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2017, 11:11   #10606
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
I will be driving to Trivandrum (Kesavadasapuram) on Friday.
Planning to start at 5:00 AM from Whitefield. Which route do you suggest?

1. Kavalkinar - Nagercoil - Balaramapuram - Kesavadasapuram
2. Kavalkinar - Nagercoil - Poovar - Kesavadasapuram
3. Kavalkinar - Aralvaimozhi-Bhoothapandi-Vellarara-Kattakkada- Kesavadasapuram
4. Rajapalayam - Thenmala - Palode - Kesavadasapuram
Which is your point of origin? The Thenmala route is scenic but narrow and winding and prone to getting stuck behind goods ladden trucks. I like the route but my family does not as the winding roads going up and down makes them mad at me :P

The Aralvaimozhi route is best to avoid traffic but you cannot make up time in that stretch. So if you want a relaxed drive then it is the route to take. Time taken to Trivandrum would be the same as compared to the traditional balaramapuram route but that route would be hectic with bumper to bumper traffic in many places.

The poovar route is good but with the work going on at Marthandam it is a pain to cross the town.
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2017, 11:43   #10607
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Which is your point of origin? The Thenmala route is scenic but narrow and winding and prone to getting stuck behind goods ladden trucks. I like the route but my family does not as the winding roads going up and down makes them mad at me :P

The Aralvaimozhi route is best to avoid traffic but you cannot make up time in that stretch. So if you want a relaxed drive then it is the route to take. Time taken to Trivandrum would be the same as compared to the traditional balaramapuram route but that route would be hectic with bumper to bumper traffic in many places.

The poovar route is good but with the work going on at Marthandam it is a pain to cross the town.
Sorry. Forgot to mention my point of origin. It's Whitefield, Bangalore.
Old 21st June 2017, 12:02   #10608
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
Sorry. Forgot to mention my point of origin. It's Whitefield, Bangalore.
Cool. Then the boothapandi-vellarada-kattakada route would be nice just for the peace of mind. Patches are bad in the TN side of things though.
Old 21st June 2017, 13:18   #10609
BHPian

Quote:
Cool. Then the boothapandi-vellarada-kattakada route would be nice just for the peace of mind. Patches are bad in the TN side of things though.
I am also planning a drive through that route. I just want to drive on good roads, no targets to meet. Is the road between Nedumangad and Kulasekharam good? Anything to take care of?
Old 21st June 2017, 16:41   #10610
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBoss View Post
I am also planning a drive through that route. I just want to drive on good roads, no targets to meet. Is the road between Nedumangad and Kulasekharam good? Anything to take care of?
You don't need to go to Nedumangad to reach Trivandrum in that route if i assume that you are indeed going to Trivandrum

Roads are ok on the Kerala side of the border. The bad patches are on the TN side and can be deceptive. So be careful.

Petrol bunks are scarce in this route and so are decent hotels. So if with family breaking at Aralvazimozhi or Kavalknaru would be recommended unless you want to go premium, then you can visit the Anantya resort on the way. Nice place to relax a while.

Night drive would be kind of scary i reckon due to the desolate nature of the stretch. For night drives after 8PM the balaramapuram route would be best because roads would be empty and you can make up time nicely.

On the way you can stop on the side to admire the view of the chittar lake.

Google maps would be recommended as the stretch has a few lefts and rights which can be confusing and you won't find many people to stop and ask.

Last edited by deathwalkr : 21st June 2017 at 16:44.
Old 22nd June 2017, 13:53   #10611
BHPian

Quote:
You don't need to go to Nedumangad to reach Trivandrum in that route if i assume that you are indeed going to Trivandrum
Thanks buddy for the detailed response. I am driving from Kochi and intent to drive through that route for the first time. That's why I mentioned Nedumangad as I am familiar till there.

Any view point or special spot to see the beauty of Chittar Lake at it's best?

Last edited by ampere : 22nd June 2017 at 14:08. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Old 22nd June 2017, 13:55   #10612
Senior - BHPian

You can't miss the lake when you drive through. Places to stop are less so you can stop where you can. Otherwise take a break for food at the Anantya resorts. The open restaurant has a great view as the resort is on the banks of the lake.
Old 24th June 2017, 15:42   #10613
Senior - BHPian

Anyone's taken the Bangalore-Dimbam-Coimbatore-Palakkad route recently? I have three questions:

1. What is the best route to take between Malavally-T. Narasipur since I want to avoid Kollegal? Google Maps is showing a road closure on Kirugavalu-Sosale, so I guess I should take either Bannur-Sosale or Purigali-Sosale to get to T. Narasipur and then onwards to Ch. Nagar. I don't want to go into Talakadu.

2. What is the correct route to go through Bhavanisagar if one doesn't want to go to Satyamangalam? Google is showing this:

Name:  1.png
Views: 1732
Size:  88.4 KB

Is that correct?

3. Is it OK to drive Annur-Coimbatore-Madukkarai-Palakkad, given that I'm driving through here on a Sunday? Or will I get stuck in Coimbatore's traffic?
Old 24th June 2017, 21:24   #10614
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
3. Is it OK to drive Annur-Coimbatore-Madukkarai-Palakkad, given that I'm driving through here on a Sunday? Or will I get stuck in Coimbatore's traffic?
Only bottleneck could be traffic from Town hall to Ukkadam. However, that depends on the time of the day. Generally, evening traffic would be bit tough to negotiate.
Gokrish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2017, 17:25   #10615
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anyone's taken the Bangalore-Dimbam-Coimbatore-Palakkad route recently?
Didn't take this route eventually, went the usual Salem - Coimbatore route instead. Managed Bangalore - Chandranagar in 5h 15mins with a fuel stop and sundry signals on Coimbatore bypass and Walayar - Palakkad sections preventing a sub-five hour drive (not to mention the Coimbatore bypass tolls; though for a change Fastag worked flawlessly everywhere else).

The exit to Coimbatore city from Salem side is now fully functional. The exit on Palakkad side is still work in progress.

Now there are no diversions on Madukkarai - Walayar section. The entire carriageway is open for traffic.
binand is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 26th June 2017, 11:16   #10616
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Palakkad-Vadakkencheri is fully 4 laned (approx 40kms ).Vadakkencheri-Kuthiran is 4 laned in patches.Kuthiran-Mannuthy is work in progress especially near Chovannamannu.If you are driving in the dark,my suggestion would be to take alternate routes like Palakkad-Alathur-Wadakancheri-Thrissur or Palakkad-Shoranur-Wadakkancheri.If you are driving during daylight,sticking to the NH should be ok(unless there is a vehicle breakdown or an accident on kuthiran-traffic piles up for kilometers quickly as there are no alternate routes around that area for traffic to be diverted onto).
We took Palakkad-Alathur-Wadakancheri-Thrissur route to avoide kuthiran. Roads are very good all the way till thrissur, except the last stretch. But this route may not be ideal during day time as it is a two lane road with private buses plying... but a pleasure for night drive.

We are planning to take punalur - shenkottai- madurai route on the way back. Any idea on the road conditions on this route? Has anyone recently travelled via punalur - shenkottai - madurai route?
Old 27th June 2017, 10:49   #10617
BHPian

Did a Bangalore-Guruvayoor-Kozhikkode-Bangalore round trip this weekend. This was the first trip for me with Fastag on. Started from Bannerghatta road on Saturday (24th) at 5am and the first hurdle was Attibele toll booth. There was a long queue, with vehicles piling up on the fly-over. Managed to reach the Fastag lane and from then on, it was a smooth ride. Fastag did not work at couple of tolls, but they allowed me to pass through after noting down the number; no time loss at all. Omalur toll was really a breeze where Fastag worked perfectly.

Reached Coimbatore and there was a medium sized queue at the by-pass toll. The system seemed to be too inefficient as the time taken by the people for each vehicle was simply too much. On top of that, if you have to travel the full distance, the number of times you have to show the ticket is ridiculous. Every time I travel through here, the time seems to increase.
Took the right at Alathur, through Pazhayannoor, Chelakkara, Wadakkanchery, Kechery, Choondal route to Guruvayoor. Good, scenic route and good roads. Reached Guruvayoor by 2:15 pm, with couple of breaks, as I was traveling with my family.

After the temple visit, I decided to travel to my in-laws place, which is next to Calicut University campus. Initially, I was planning to stay overnight at Guruvayoor, but decided to continue and get a proper night's sleep instead of getting up early the next day. Took the Chamravattom route and it turned out to be a disaster. Started from Guruvayoor at 7:40pm and reached home by 10pm (2h20mins for 75km).

The road is in pathetic condition after the Chamravattom regulator almost till Tirur. Crater sized potholes after the recent rains. I would advise not to take this route, unless absolutely necessary.

On 26th, I started from Calicut University campus at 5:15am and reached Bangalore by 2pm. Hit horrible traffic block at Channapatna and traffic block & a detour at Ramnagara due to Ramzan festivities. Lost quite a lot of time.

The Thamarassery ghat section is in OK condition, I noticed broken road only near the 3rd hairpin bend and maybe also near 6th or 7th (don't remember), but nothing really bad. Rest of the roads are good.
A350XWB is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th June 2017, 10:54   #10618
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
The road is in pathetic condition after the Chamravattom regulator almost till Tirur.
How is it between Tirur and Chelari? Traffic and road condition?
Old 27th June 2017, 11:52   #10619
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
Reached Coimbatore and there was a medium sized queue at the by-pass toll. The system seemed to be too inefficient as the time taken by the people for each vehicle was simply too much. On top of that, if you have to travel the full distance, the number of times you have to show the ticket is ridiculous.
Exactly! Is there a way to bypass this road?? What if we go through the town during night drive? i don't think the distance difference is that great..
Old 27th June 2017, 12:04   #10620
BHPian

Quote:
How is it between Tirur and Chelari? Traffic and road condition?
From Tirur, the roads are OK, with few potholes here and there. Nothing like the roads till Tirur. Not much traffic also. I don't take the Parappanangadi-Chelari route, but go further and take a right at Anangadi towards Anangadi-Athanikkal road and on to Thenhipalam-Olipramkadavu road. This road is superb for an in-road, with reflectors on both sides & centre-line and a smooth surface. This road joins the NH at Chettiyarmadu bus stop (After University, towards Calicut).

Quote:
Originally Posted by guruji View Post
Exactly! Is there a way to bypass this road?? What if we go through the town during night drive? i don't think the distance difference is that great..
I've gone through the city couple of times, but during peak hours. Then it is a problem, with multiple signals etc. But during night time, I think there won't be much issue. The by-pass is an irritating road to drive through, I must admit.

Last edited by A350XWB : 27th June 2017 at 12:07.
A350XWB is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed