Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2017, 17:49   #10651
BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Guys, Any recommendations for good fuel pump between Salem and Vagamon?
Old 6th August 2017, 17:57   #10652
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcruiser View Post
Guys, Any recommendations for good fuel pump between Salem and Vagamon?
There is a BP run by LOA (Lorry Owners Association) at Salem - this is just after the flyover construction zone ends and before the ramp for NH 47 turn off. Have used this place since ages and found fuel quality to be good.
I'm sure there are several COCO pumps on this route too.

Last edited by NPV : 6th August 2017 at 17:58.
Old 6th August 2017, 21:51   #10653
Senior - BHPian

Quick update on a road trip from Palakkad to Bangalore suburbs done on 06/08/2017.
1. Walayar looked all deserted thanks to GST. No queues of trucks etc.
2. Now from Walayar all the way till the infamous L&T toll booth, the four lane highway is fully operational.
3. The road over bridge at the old junction from where vehicles took a left turn (from Palakkad side) to go to Coimbatore is now open for traffic. Same is the case of the fly over at the other end of the L&T bye-pass. Vehicles coming from Avanashi side can use the over bridge to proceed towards Coimbatore city.
4. Thoppur toll booth seems to be getting messier and messier. Vehicles just queue up at this toll plaza. I was on a non-FasTag vehicle, but FasTag vehicles also did not have an easy run.
5. The Palacode-Rayakottai-Hosur route also now seems to be full of slow moving trucks (mostly TN registration ones). After the wait at Thoppur, I switched to the Palacode route as an easier one. This was at around 1600Hrs. Yet there were too many trucks on the road, and innumerable two wheelers. Reached Attibele at around 1800Hrs; perhaps we may have saved around 15-20 minutes of travel time.
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2017, 09:20   #10654
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
4. Thoppur toll booth seems to be getting messier and messier. Vehicles just queue up at this toll plaza. I was on a non-FasTag vehicle, but FasTag vehicles also did not have an easy run.
More than Krishnagiri, this now seems to be the longer pole! Also they dont seem to have too many counter per side unlike Krishnagiri.

I guess the stable solution still is to be in Bangalore by 5PM. Beyond 4PM queues seem to pile at both these tolls.
Old 7th August 2017, 12:19   #10655
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I guess the stable solution still is to be in Bangalore by 5PM. Beyond 4PM queues seem to pile at both these tolls.
Hmm.. or else need to identify a route which can byepass Thoppur as well. I have experimented with the Palacode-Papparapatty-Mecheri route once. The problem is lack of food & toilet options.
Old 8th August 2017, 16:54   #10656
BHPian

Hi guys,

Planning to drive down to Calicut in a few days for a wedding. The last time I
checked, the Bandipur forest road closes at around 9.00 pm ( both ends) . Is this timing still in place (don't want to reach Gundlupet or Muthanga and turn
back !!! ) .

Thanks .
Old 8th August 2017, 17:44   #10657
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPVEN View Post
The last time I
checked, the Bandipur forest road closes at around 9.00 pm ( both ends) . Is this timing still in place (don't want to reach Gundlupet or Muthanga and turn
back !!! ) .
Yes, but don't cut it too close. Safer to reach the Bandipur side gate around 8pm at least, the forest check post security usually try to make sure you can cross the other gate at Muthanga by 9pm. For your return journey, try to be at the Muthanga gate around 8pm at least.

Last edited by NPV : 8th August 2017 at 17:46.
Old 8th August 2017, 20:57   #10658
BHPian

Is there any bike rental place in Wayanad? Any body can help.
Old 8th August 2017, 23:10   #10659
BHPian

Any update on the status of Kuthiran stretch after monsoon? Have a KL trip coming up this weekend and might need to drive between Thrissur and Palakkad.
Old 9th August 2017, 12:14   #10660
BHPian

Avoid if it is raining, my cousin got stuck for nearly 3 hours last week and huge craters reported in Kuthiran.
majumon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2017, 11:49   #10661
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Need some help to plan a half day visit from Palakkad towards Nenmara, plan is to visit the Pothundi Dam View Point and Seetharkundu Viewpoint and return.

1. Route - via Alathur (turn off at Thrippalur junction towards Nenmara Via Chittilamchery/Melarcode ?). How are the roads on this route ? Is there any other better route ?
2. What is a good time to visit (morning/evening ?)
3. Are there any timing restrictions or permissions required to visit these places ?
4. Anything else to visit nearby to these viewpoints ?

Last edited by NPV : 10th August 2017 at 12:02.
Old 10th August 2017, 12:13   #10662
Team-BHP Support

I just hope the Thoppur toll wouldn't be crowded tonight! It's going to be a long weekend.

I still dread the detour we had to take to bypass the toll on the Christmas weekend last year! The queue was over a km long from the Krishnagiri side and Google Maps indicated over an hour's delay if we were to continue that way. Took a detour and bypassed it in 20 minutes.
Old 10th August 2017, 12:30   #10663
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Need some help to plan a half day visit from Palakkad towards Nenmara, plan is to visit the Pothundi Dam View Point and Seetharkundu Viewpoint and return.

1. Route - via Alathur (turn off at Thrippalur junction towards Nenmara Via Chittilamchery/Melarcode ?). How are the roads on this route ? Is there any other better route ?
2. What is a good time to visit (morning/evening ?)
3. Are there any timing restrictions or permissions required to visit these places ?
4. Anything else to visit nearby to these viewpoints ?
No need to go to Alathur if you are starting from Palakkad.You can go under the Yakkara underpass-Koduvayur-Nemmara-Pothundi.It can get very hot there during the day time.You can drive up to Nelliyampathy and back(i am assuming the place would be very green now thanks to the rains in the region)

https://goo.gl/maps/T3b4fzeLSjQ2
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2017, 13:10   #10664
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
You can go under the Yakkara underpass-Koduvayur-Nemmara-Pothundi.
The map is routing to the Yakkara underpass via U-turn at Kazhchaparambu junction. Is that because the flyover ends there (traffic signal ?).
Old 10th August 2017, 13:33   #10665
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
The map is routing to the Yakkara underpass via U-turn at Kazhchaparambu junction. Is that because the flyover ends there (traffic signal ?).
Yes that is correct.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks