Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2017, 20:13   #10681
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
The Gudalur-Nilambur stretch should be pretty decent now. Had been recently relaid (unless this years rains have messed it up). So this route should be the default choice.

The 2nd route you have mentioned is the one via Manjoor-Mulli. Had taken it a couple of years back and had detailed the route in this post (Driven: Bangalore to Calicut via Palakkad, Coimbatore, Coonoor, Ooty & Manjoor)

It is extremely scenic, roads should be good mostly and traffic is non existent. The 44 hair pin bends are also enjoyable. On the down side, lots of sections with absolutely no mobile coverage and no one for miles around. So if alone with just family, would not recommend it. In addition since it is still monsoon, higher changes of some blocks in this route.

Thanks for your advice. I also went through the link you shared. My wife and I have driven through Manjeri, Avalanche, Emerald quite a few times and we're okay with that route. Your points like "no one for miles, no network coverage" and "will do this drive with a group not family" made me decide against this route. We ended up taking Gudalur-Nilambur-Perinthalmanna-Pattambi route. It took us exactly 4 hours and 45 minutes, including 5-10 minutes of bison clicks, Nilgiri Langur, and a snake (could not click this one).

Road quality was great overall, except 100-200 meters just after turning left from Gudalur Junction in to Calicut road and around 2-3 km of small craters/ peeled off tarmac just after Perinthalmanna.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
The quickest route would be Ooty-Coimbatore-Palakkad-Ottapalam-Pattambi-Kunnamkulam-Guruvayur.IMO the Attapadi route is not a wise option,since it is still raining in parts,the possibility of the presence of blocks and bad roads is quite high.

Nilambur route is good,but it is going to take you a long time-narrow roads and heavy day time traffic.
As mentioned in my response to RajeevRaj, ended up going through Nilambur. Traffic was bad right through. At one stretch (I think Perinthalmanna), we covered 1.5 km in a "breeze" - 20 minutes

Road quality was great given my last experience (around 4 years back).

Thanks for your advice.

Cheers

Road Tripper

Last edited by aah78 : 21st August 2017 at 20:20. Reason: Posts merged. Please use QUOTE+/MULTI-QUOTE when responding to multiple posts. Thanks!
Old 21st August 2017, 13:17   #10682
BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by SajiNSalin View Post
I guess the earlier you start, the better. How about a 4am or 5am start from Bangalore. You can easily reach Chengannur by night..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
You can easily do it in a day's drive.Unless you would like to break it up into two days with a rest in between. Hosur to Theni should take you around 7hours drive,speeds will drop after sun down.Western Gatz at Theni is good for a night's stay.
Thanks for the inputs. I am inclined to start early in the morning and reach before sunset.

I took the below route last December & the roads were excellent throughout:

https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/Cu...03306000?hl=en

Do you have a recent update of the road condition on this route? Thanks.

Rgds,
Vinod
Old 21st August 2017, 13:46   #10683
BHPian

The road from Kumily to Chengannur via Ranni, Kozhenchery is good. The Cumbum-Kumily road is generally in good condition, but I haven't traveled this stretch recently.
Old 21st August 2017, 14:01   #10684
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SajiNSalin View Post
The Cumbum-Kumily road is generally in good condition, but I haven't traveled this stretch recently.
Traveled this stretch last week and tarmac is in very good condition.
Gokrish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2017, 19:44   #10685
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prkiran View Post
Any update on the status of Kuthiran stretch after monsoon? Have a KL trip coming up this weekend and might need to drive between Thrissur and Palakkad.
I had driven to Coimbatore from Kochi on 10th Aug taking the Trichur- Chelakkara- Alathur diversion on the way up and via Kuthiran on the way down on 12th. Kuthiran stretch has seen worse conditions. But you have to be careful about the potholes. The discouraging aspect is the heavy bumper to bumper traffic from Wadakancherry till Mannuthy.
The Trichur Chelakkara stretch is also not in good condition, but good from Chelakkara till Alathur with limited traffic.
Old 22nd August 2017, 23:13   #10686
Distinguished - BHPian

Anyone has idea about the road condition of the below route?
Thenmala - Punalur - Pathanapuram - Adoor - Paranthal - Pandalam
Old 23rd August 2017, 12:45   #10687
BHPian

The road is OK with a few potholes due to the Monsoon. Lots of curves though and it is two lane, so speeds will be around 50kmph.
SajiNSalin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2017, 15:45   #10688
Senior - BHPian

Folks

A query. Which is the best route option by road from Guruvayur to Kanyakumari. How are the road conditions ?
Old 23rd August 2017, 17:24   #10689
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Anyone has idea about the road condition of the below route?
Thenmala - Punalur - Pathanapuram - Adoor - Paranthal - Pandalam
The stretch between punalur - adoor is very bumpy, but this is only available option at this point in time as the enathu" bridge is getting repaired.

The route via kottarakara takes the MC road & its very comfortable to drive, if you don't mind the waiting time (30 minutes) to cross the enathu bridge.

Last edited by Mr_Bean : 23rd August 2017 at 17:25. Reason: edit
Mr_Bean is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2017, 17:34   #10690
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Which is the best route option by road from Guruvayur to Kanyakumari. How are the road conditions ?
I think for Guruvayoor-Kanyakumari, it is better to avoid traversing the length of Kerala by going via Kochi and Trivandrum (or other interior Kerala roads), instead Guruvayoor-Chelakara-Pazhayannur-Alathur-Kollengode-Pollachi-Dharapuram-Oddanchatram-Dindigul-Madurai-Tirunelveli-Kanyakumari may be a better choice. Once you get to Dindigul, it's the NH7/44 all the way.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2017, 21:26   #10691
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I think for Guruvayoor-Kanyakumari, it is better to avoid traversing the length of Kerala by going via Kochi and Trivandrum (or other interior Kerala roads), instead Guruvayoor-Chelakara-Pazhayannur-Alathur-Kollengode-Pollachi-Dharapuram-Oddanchatram-Dindigul-Madurai-Tirunelveli-Kanyakumari may be a better choice. Once you get to Dindigul, it's the NH7/44 all the way.
Its a big round about. I was trying to how much extra we do on this. Its near 25%. We are looking at ~500 as against ~400. There does not seem to be an easy way out here.
Old 23rd August 2017, 21:33   #10692
anb
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
The stretch between punalur - adoor is very bumpy, but this is only available option at this point in time as the enathu" bridge is getting repaired.

The route via kottarakara takes the MC road & its very comfortable to drive, if you don't mind the waiting time (30 minutes) to cross the enathu bridge.
The Enathu bridge will open for traffic by August 31st.
anb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2017, 23:05   #10693
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Its near 25%. We are looking at ~500 as against ~400. There does not seem to be an easy way out here.
For this drive, I would prefer comfort over distance and time here and hence suggested this. I just checked on gmaps and time wise it only estimates 35 minutes more
Yes there doesn't seem to be other viable options for these 2 places.
Old 24th August 2017, 09:22   #10694
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Folks

A query. Which is the best route option by road from Guruvayur to Kanyakumari. How are the road conditions ?
if you start early in the morning, or drive late in the night; traffic inside KL will not be a problem.
arjithin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2017, 10:04   #10695
BHPian

Quote:
Folks

As suggested by "Arjithin" try to start after 11:00 PM and go through Kerala you can save more than 2 hours easily when compared with day drive.
For a Trivandrum ~ Wadakkanchery drive last month we stater at 1:00 AM and was able to cover the entire stretch in little above 5 hours and the time we saved is significant.

Cheers!

Most Viewed