Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2017, 09:18   #10831
Team-BHP Support

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Some updates on Cochin - Wayanad-Coorg route.
I remembered an old suggestion to take the Trichur-Kunnamkulam bypass - Pannithadam-Eddapal option instead of the coastal NH17. That seems to be much better. (I thought it was the default these days. Hence did not suggest it earlier)

Quote:
Coorg-Mysore-Walayar - Cochin
4) After this section, I completely lost my way as the GPS signal was lost and some good amount of time was wasted here. Also, I made a mistake of not bypassing Coimbatore (GPS had selected the route via Coimbatore).
The option is : At Annur either turn to Avinashi or take Somannur road to Karumathampatti. But then its a bigger detour for you. However its a breeze.

Quote:
Thrissur to Cochin is still a nightmare with heavy traffic and signals. They made one huge blunder by sticking to a 4 lane highway.
This is what surprises me. Is the traffic so bad (as others too have posted) that they need to put in signals on a 4-lane ?

All in all hope you had a good vacation!

Last edited by ampere : 21st October 2017 at 09:19.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2017, 11:16   #10832
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I remembered an old suggestion to take the Trichur-Kunnamkulam bypass - Pannithadam-Eddapal option instead of the coastal NH17. That seems to be much better. (I thought it was the default these days. Hence did not suggest it earlier)

The option is : At Annur either turn to Avinashi or take Somannur road to Karumathampatti. But then its a bigger detour for you. However its a breeze.

This is what surprises me. Is the traffic so bad (as others too have posted) that they need to put in signals on a 4-lane ?

All in all hope you had a good vacation!
I decided to stick with NH-17 as I had an early morning start. But the roads disappointed me. If it had been during rush hour, I would have taken NH-47

It was via Karumathampatti. Since the GPS was busy trying to find a shorter route, I managed to reach few dead ends. But as you said, the roads were good, pretty wide and empty. This is a screenshot from my timeline. Pretty useful even though google is tracking your every move .

All Roads to Kerala-screenshot_20171021110034.jpg

Oh man! it was horrible and add a Diwali weekend to it plus the unfinished sections between thrissur and palghat is getting bad now and as I had mentioned, guess they wont bother to repair it as it's going to be a new road soon. They will just fill it up with gravel and metal. The signal just before that bridge near Angamaly is super bad. Not to mention the stretch between Angamaly and Cochin. Anyways, we did enjoy our return drive as the ghat section was good and my wife got to drive around 100 kms. Both happy. Now waiting for the receipts from MVD for taking our photos .
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2017, 17:25   #10833

Just returned from Marari beach(Alleppey) to Brookefields(Home).

Started at 6:15am at Marari Beach, Break in Cochin, Break at CCD, Shoolagiri and reached Brookefields at 4:10pm.

(1) The road conditions from Marari beach to Kuttiraan is very good, but like all Kerala roads its difficult to average above 60km per hour.

(2) Kuttiraan till Vadakkencherry is lots of diversions, uneven road conditions. Plan to lose time on this stretch.

(3) Vadakkencherry to Coimbatore L&T bypass road is good roads but again kerala traffic lets you cover only average 60km in an hour.

(4) Coimbatore L&T bypass road condition is deteriorating and had lots of traffic at tolls because of holiday makes like us

(5) Once you hit Salem- Coimbatore road, its perfect road conditions and its a breeze

(6) Salem bypass again very high traffic because of speed barriers ("S" Barriers) & extended holiday makers.

(7) There after till Bangalore usual highway traffic in near perfect road conditions
GOTJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2017, 09:42   #10834
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
What is the best route to reach Pamba from Chalakudy for a Sabarimala trip on 20th?? (Saw many videos of waterlogging in highrange area after recent rains)
Back from the trip..
Onward - Chalakudy - Angamali - Muvattupuzha - Thodupuzha - Erappupetta - Kanjirapally - Erumeli - Pamba

Roads are all good except the Thodupuzha Erattupetta section where road works are happening in 3-4 short stretches, hopefully that will be complete before the season. Rest of this section has new coat of tar

Started at 4.15AM from chalakudy and reached Pamba by 8:15 AM after breakfast

Return trip:
Pamba - Erumeli - Ponkunnnam - Pala -Koothattukulam - Muvattupuzha - Angamali - Chalakudy.

Roads are good all across except few short stretches of road work in MC road before Muvattupuzha.

Took the Koothattukulam route instead of Thodupuzha route to visit a relative en route; Roads are not very wide but good and traffic is less.

Took 5:15 hrs to return including lunch break.

Its better to stick to the Thodupuzha - Pala route for upcoming season I think.
Old 23rd October 2017, 10:10   #10835
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

The NH 47 from Walayar to Kochi doesn't look like a highway. The drive feels like one on a city road with large number of signals. The ones between Chandra nagar and Walayar are switched on even before 8:00 AM with wait times on 1 min on the highway. Angamaly and Aluva are a pain to cross during day time. Aluva is the worst with signals before and after the flyover. I can't understand the use of the flyover.

At many places between Walayar and Vadakkencherry, they should have constructed flyovers. Now all these junctions have signals.
pramodpk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2017, 12:13   #10836
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
Took the Koothattukulam route instead of Thodupuzha route to visit a relative en route; Roads are not very wide but good and traffic is less.
Glad to see my home town (KKLM) mentioned here. How is the road broadening work between KKLM and Muvattupuzha coming along ? I am thinking of a drive in December, not yet decided on the dates.

Any updates on the Valayar-Trissur tunnels and road widening works ? My last trip was in Oct 16, and it was a nightmare on that stretch having no space on the sides but buses overtaking non-stop like no tomorrow !!
Old 24th October 2017, 17:11   #10837
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
The NH 47 from Walayar to Kochi doesn't look like a highway. The drive feels like one on a city road with large number of signals. The ones between Chandra nagar and Walayar are switched on even before 8:00 AM with wait times on 1 min on the highway. Angamaly and Aluva are a pain to cross during day time. Aluva is the worst with signals before and after the flyover. I can't understand the use of the flyover.

At many places between Walayar and Vadakkencherry, they should have constructed flyovers. Now all these junctions have signals.
I have changed my travel timings to workaround these obstacles. I try to start from Bangalore by around 3.30 pm (after picking Jr directly from school), by the time you reach Walayar, all the signals will be off. Angamaly and Aluva will be a breeze, Kuthiran will have truck traffic, but is nothing compared to day time. There wont be much crowd at the Toll plazas, I could reach home before midnight with dinner break at Walayar. 4 lane from Walayar is so well lighted, it is like driving during the day

On the way back, try to start early morning and try to cover Walayar before the traffic signals opens their eye
gadadhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2017, 23:38   #10838
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Pardon me if there is already a response above to a similar query.

Driving solo from Bangalore to Pattambi to attend a wedding on this Friday morning.

Thinking to start at 3:00 AM so that I can reach by lunch there.

- What is the exact route and which are the bypasses that I need to watch out for?

- Road conditions throughout?

- Tentative arrival time in moderate speeds with a break of 30mins? (Car: Chevy Beat)
Old 25th October 2017, 08:25   #10839
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Driving solo from Bangalore to Pattambi to attend a wedding on this Friday morning.

- What is the exact route and which are the bypasses that I need to watch out for?

- Tentative arrival time in moderate speeds with a break of 30mins? (Car: Chevy Beat)
I had gone to Edappal (about 25 km beyond Pattambi) for a wedding last weekend, so can give you the most recent information.

Stage 1: Bangalore-Salem (NH 44, 200 km). Just take the BETL/Hosur Road from Silk Board and you can't go wrong. This is a straight, 6/4 lane route. Major towns are Hosur (some junctions), Krishnagiri (the NH 48 turn-off towards Chennai is here, but only those going there need to search for the right exit) and Dharmapuri. Just follow the contour of the road and bulk of the traffic. 5 toll booths till Salem including BETL's.

Stage 2: Salem-Palakkad (NH 544, 200 km). The junction of NH 44 and NH 544 on Salem bypass is a major interchange; but the exit ramp is not very clearly signposted. After entering Salem bypass you will pass 2 junctions where flyovers are being constructed; after the last of these watch out for a bridge over a small river and then the exit ramp is to your left. Once on the NH 544 it is again a straight 4/6 lane route. Major towns are Bhavani, Avinashi and Coimbatore (which has a single carriageway bypass that is about 30 km long and a bunch of maniacs driving on it). 4 toll booths till Palakkad and a further 6 (but only one toll payment; rest just flash the receipt) on Coimbatore bypass.

When alone I do stages 1 & 2 in a bit over 5 hours; budget 5.5-6 hours depending on your comfort level and expected traffic.

Stage 3: Palakkad-Pattambi (Palakkad-Ponnani Road). Passing through Palakkad is a bit of a problem. On my trip I went straight into Palakkad town from Chandranagar junction (where the bypass starts) but given your start time that might be a bit foolhardy. Better idea would be to take the bypass and then the Chittur Road to enter the town, eventually joining the Ponnani Road at Mepparamba. I think this would take nearly an hour on a weekday morning.

Once on the Ponnani Road it is again a straight route to Pattambi for about 60 km. Major towns are Ottapalam and Kulapulli (where the road to Thrissur turns off). I think this stretch would take about 1.5-2 hours. Note that the recent rains have created many bad sections on this road, so be careful.
binand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2017, 08:45   #10840
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
You have two options.
Bangalore ~ Salem ~ Palakkad ~ Ottapalam ~ Pattambi. This is a straight one with 4/6 lane toll roads till Palakkad. This is a straight one until Palakkad Chandranagar. You can opt to take a right here and get onto Ponnani road else take a right at Chittur road. Either way expect this stretch to be crowded for a start at 3AM. Once you are onto Ponnani road, the road is wide with typical Kerala traffic. Ottpalam will be the only mess. Parali, pathiripala and Kulapully junctions should be relatively easy

Bangalore ~ Mysore ~ Bandipur ~ Gudalur ~ Nilambur ~ Perinthalmanna ~ Pattambi. Though this is a shorter one will consume more time due to narrow roads and vehicle density will be more once you get into Nilambur. Choose this only if you want a scenic one through national reserve.

Quote:
Road conditions are good all along for the first option and for the second option it is good for most of the part, except for few stretches due to recent monsoon.

Quote:
For a start at 3 AM and a sedate drive will take around 7 hours through Salem. Consider another hour for the one through Nilambur.

Last edited by treadmark : 25th October 2017 at 08:52.
treadmark is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2017, 10:44   #10841
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Stage 1: Bangalore-Salem (NH 44, 200 km).
Stage 2: Salem-Palakkad (NH 544, 200 km).
One point I forgot to mention. At some junctions before Salem you will find exits marked Palakkad. You shouldn't take any of these, since they all go through many interior TN towns. You should follow signs to Salem till Salem and to Coimbatore/Palakkad beyond.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2017, 11:26   #10842
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
....Coimbatore (which has a single carriageway bypass that is about 30 km long and a bunch of maniacs driving on it........At some junctions before Salem you will find exits marked Palakkad. You shouldn't take any of these, since they all go through many interior TN towns...
Whenever I passed this stretch (coimbatore single way) I found most those 'maniacs' were KA registered engines, me with a KA04 trying to beat them all Its not route specific habit, I saw the same tantrums thrown around on Goa roads by KA engines during major holidays ! May be the IT label gets into one's brain more than its required !!

Last time, I took a right deviation from Omalur junction (before entering Salem) and the entire stretch was butter smooth although it is single lane. Only issue was re-entering the Salem-Coimbatore highway after 40 kms drive, which I saw above me with no entry points around. Google was confusing, had to check with people around and finally made way through Sankari. I still saved time because it was major flyover and broadening works happening on the main highway.
shajufx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2017, 11:48   #10843
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Last time, I took a right deviation from Omalur junction (before entering Salem) and the entire stretch was butter smooth although it is single lane. Only issue was re-entering the Salem-Coimbatore highway after 40 kms drive, which I saw above me with no entry points around.
Yes, that's one of the reasons I don't recommend this route to the uninitiated. You have to deviate from the road towards Idappady and join NH 544 at a point a few kms ahead on Sankari bypass.

Other reasons are the many small towns/villages with numerous bikers and that with Salem traffic police finding its mojo, the direct route is not time consuming at all despite the flyovers construction.
binand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2017, 15:52   #10844
Senior - BHPian

I've observed a rise in the number of barricades placed on the highways in the Salem-Erode area. Almost all major cross-roads and colleges along the highway are vantage points. These barricades are not well marked and can catch anyone not used to the place by surprise.
Old 28th October 2017, 13:10   #10845
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I had gone to Edappal (about 25 km beyond Pattambi) for a wedding last weekend, so can give you the most recent information.
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadmark View Post
You have two options.
Bangalore ~ Salem ~ Palakkad ~ Ottapalam ~ Pattambi.
Thanks for the inputs, that really helped with my plan.

Just did this yesterday, and I started a little earlier, and it was a really peaceful drive with very low traffic and loved this drive.

Time:

Silk Board : 01:30 AM
Salem Bypass: 04:00 AM (15 mins break)
Coimbatore : 06:00 AM
Palakkad : 07:00 AM
Pattambi : 08:30 AM

Tolls:

Bangalore - Salem
45 (BETL) + 25 + 65 + 90 + 75 = 300

Salem - Coimbatore
55 + 50 + 85 = 190

Coimbatore - Palakkad
31 + 55 = 86

Total = 576/-

Palakkad - Pattambi stretch is in a very bad state. Also had to go beyond up to Perinthalmanna, and that stretch was terrible.

Last edited by balenoed_ : 28th October 2017 at 13:12.
balenoed_ is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed