Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2018, 13:24   #11131
BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujithsidhardha View Post
I know the routes. I need to know about the the road condition? How is the tarmac and potholes? Any maintenance recently?
I had taken the Guruvayur - Kochi NH17 route in Dec and the roads were pretty good. But I suggest you take the Trissur route, since you are traveling during the peak time.
bejoy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2018, 09:52   #11132
Senior - BHPian

Today Malayala Manorama report on Kuthiran .

It says The contractor has informed NHAI that one of the tunnel will be ready for traffic in a week; and NHAI will decide when it can be opened for traffic. Second tunnel will be ready by April.
arjithin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2018, 12:12   #11133
BHPian

Considering today's verdict on Cauvery dispute, which route should be preferred for HSR > Thakazhy tomorrow? For a KA vehicle, are there any alternatives which do not touch TN, instead enter KL from KA? And how is the road condition?
Old 16th February 2018, 13:35   #11134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repsol View Post
Considering today's verdict on Cauvery dispute, which route should be preferred for HSR > Thakazhy tomorrow? For a KA vehicle, are there any alternatives which do not touch TN, instead enter KL from KA? And how is the road condition?
The only route available to enter Kerala bypassing TN is via Mysore-Gundlupet-Bathery. The route even though has excellent roads and is of same distance compared to that of the Salem-Coimbatore route would be far more time consuming and tiring, considering it has majority of 2 lane highways with high vehicle density, right from the time you enter Kerala. I suggest you wait for a day and decide based on the reports coming out post verdict.

Last edited by sandsun7 : 16th February 2018 at 13:37.
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2018, 14:08   #11135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repsol View Post
I would say avoid TN - heard some rabble-rousing is happening there. There are several roads from KA that enters KL directly; but given that Thakazhy is south of Alapuzha you probably are better off waiting. If you absolutely have to go, take Bangalore-Calicut-Thrissur-Edapalli-Alapuzha-Thakazhi (or local alternatives). This will be so slow and painful you will hate it.
binand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2018, 18:35   #11136
BHPian

How is the situation in Tamil Nadu now? Is it safe to take Hosur ~ Salem ~ Coimbatore stretch tomorrow to Thrissur?
Appreciate any first hand information from today.
Thank you in advance.
Cheers!
Old 17th February 2018, 19:10   #11137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadmark View Post
How is the situation in Tamil Nadu now? Is it safe to take Hosur ~ Salem ~ Coimbatore stretch tomorrow to Thrissur?
Thank you in advance.
Cheers!
I did see TN state transport buses plying on Bangalore roads. Also saw KSRTC Volvo buses coming from Chennai.
Looks like no problem.
suresh_gs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2018, 19:35   #11138
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadmark View Post
Thank you in advance.
Cheers!
Immediate family traveled to Krishnagiri /Ambur today. No problems encountered atleast till now(They are back only tomorrow).
Rajeevraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th February 2018, 22:19   #11139
BHPian

Guys,

Need to drive from Vellore to Calicut on Monday, 19th Feb. I'm familiar with the route till Palakkad. Google tells me to take the following route, which looks straight forward on the map:

Palakkad - Mundur - Perinthalmanna - Malappuram - Karipur - Calicut

Should this route be alright? Anything I need to be aware of road conditions or traffic conditions before I set off?

Thanks in advance!
Old 17th February 2018, 22:26   #11140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
Guys,

Need to drive from Vellore to Calicut on Monday, 19th Feb. I'm familiar with the route till Palakkad. Google tells me to take the following route, which looks straight forward on the map:

Palakkad - Mundur - Perinthalmanna - Malappuram - Karipur - Calicut

Should this route be alright? Anything I need to be aware of road conditions or traffic conditions before I set off?

Thanks in advance!
This is the straight forward route - National Highway. Only thing, you need not get into Malappuram town. There is well marked bypass after Koottilangadi bridge

Alternate Route

Palakkad-Mundur-Kongad-Cherpulassery-Angadippuram-Malappuram-Calicut

This route is much shorter and is relatively less winding. But there is a near 10 km stretch, from just after Kongad till Kadampazhippuram that the road is rough and broken. But this route will avoid two very congested towns - Mannarkad and Perintalmanna
mallumowgli is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th February 2018, 10:43   #11141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
Today Malayala Manorama report on Kuthiran .

It says The contractor has informed NHAI that one of the tunnel will be ready for traffic in a week; and NHAI will decide when it can be opened for traffic. Second tunnel will be ready by April.
I passed this place, twice, over the last few days, and I am not sure how any one of the two tunnels is ready for traffic! Either that or they are very good at hiding the actual progress they have made.
Old 20th February 2018, 13:14   #11142
Senior - BHPian

I had received these pictures from an acquaintance a week ago:

All Roads to Kerala-img20180215wa0024.jpg

All Roads to Kerala-img20180215wa0025.jpg

All Roads to Kerala-img20180215wa0026.jpg

All Roads to Kerala-img20180215wa0028.jpg

It does appear to be nearing completion.

The Hindu reports:
Quote:
The construction of one of the two tunnels to avert traffic congestion in the Kuthiran hill region of the busy National Highway 544 stretch between Palakkad and Thrissur is almost complete and it will be opened for road users soon after the mandatory safety inspections.

Construction of the left tunnel, with two km inside the forests in Kuthiran, is over and the approach roads are also in the final stage. Work on the right tunnel will be completed by April end.

Last edited by silversteed : 20th February 2018 at 13:17.
silversteed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2018, 16:56   #11143
BHPian

The work on the left kuthiran tunnel is over according to news yesterday. There is report in The Hindu. The work on the right tunnel is expected to be over by april end.
Cant wait for it.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/nationa...le22791595.ece
Old 20th February 2018, 21:09   #11144
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Need to travel trivandrum (kazhakkottam) to bangalore.
- avoiding kaliyikkavilai route due to terrible construction activity
- avoiding travelling ekm-palakkad route to reduce fatigue from 2L traffic

Travel will start anytime between 0000 & 0300. ONLY priority is smooth surface. The option being considered is :

stretch 1:
kazhakkoottam-pothenkodu-kilimanoor-nilamel-madathara-kulathupuzha-thenmala-aryankavu

-KL/TN border-

stretch 2:
-ilanji (left turn to rajapalayam highway) - puliyangudi (turn right) - sankarankovil - kalugumalai - join NH7 near kovilpatti - always on NH7 until bangalore.

Question about stretch 1:
How good/bad is the surface ? will there be terrible thuds in the dark, due to surprise potholes ? any particular stretch is pot-hole-y ? how heavy will be the opposite traffic in the night ?

Question about stretch 2:
how is the road condition in the above stretch till hitting NH7 ?
The idea is to hit NH7 as quickly as possible, hence avoiding rajapalayam-siriviliiputhur-kalluppatti-tirumanagalam highway ; Or do you think I should take this and avoid a couple of NH7 tolls ?
Old 20th February 2018, 22:35   #11145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
Need to travel trivandrum (kazhakkottam) to bangalore.
- avoiding kaliyikkavilai route due to terrible construction activity
- avoiding travelling ekm-palakkad route to reduce fatigue from 2L traffic

Travel will start anytime between 0000 & 0300. ONLY priority is smooth surface. The option being considered is :

stretch 1:
kazhakkoottam-pothenkodu-kilimanoor-nilamel-madathara-kulathup

Question about stretch 1:
How good/bad is the surface ? will there be terrible thuds in the dark, due to surprise potholes ? any particular stretch is pot-hole-y ? how heavy will be the opposite traffic in the night ?
Road surface is good in almost all places. The road is very twisty. At one or places, near to culvets, there are small potholes. They are near to Thenmala, inside the forests. Opposite and same direction traffic will be mostly TN truck traffic, but nothing to be too much to worry about.
ontheroad is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed