Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2018, 10:39   #11161
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

I was in Kuthiran day before yday (This time in a bus for a change) and from outside the tunnels looked very close to travel ready.
arjithin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2018, 13:09   #11162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
... to lodge a complaint with the Grievance Redressal Cell.
This is an update from the NHAI:

All Roads to Kerala-lt_grievance_2.jpg
silversteed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2018, 13:25   #11163
Senior - BHPian

I travelled to Kerala on 22nd Feb and saw that the toll for L&T highway is now 45 INR, from the earlier 32 INR. This road does not see much upkeep and there are no visible plans for widening, so wonder what prompted a sudden increase of around 40% toll amount.

--Anoop
Old 28th February 2018, 21:38   #11164
ike
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike View Post
Guys, what is the best route to take from Madurai to Thrissur? Madurai - Dharapuram - Pollachi or the longer Madurai - Dindigul - Avinashi - Walayar? Google map shows an increase of 50KM on the avinashi route but the time mentioned is about the same. I know that the Dindigul Pollachi is single lane undivided all the way till wadakkanchery.
I travelled Chennai - Srirangam - Rameswaram - Madurai - Thrissur - Chennai last week. The route via Dharapuram is roundabout and the apparently the roads are poor. I reached Oddanchatram from Madurai and checked with the local cabs and all of them suggested going via Palani pollachi instead of Oddanchatram - Dharapuram - Pollachi route. The road was good even though it is single lane.
ike is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2018, 21:06   #11165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
I was in Kuthiran day before yday (This time in a bus for a change) and from outside the tunnels looked very close to travel ready.
Malayalam regional media "Mediaone TV" reports the work at Kuthiran is again stopped due to financial crisis
Read the full report HERE

Cheers!
Old 1st March 2018, 22:27   #11166

Hey fellas,

Sharing a few pics that i got.
Heard that the Thrissur and Wadakkenchery flyovers, one-way Kuthiran tunnel and the toll collection will open soon.
courtesy my friend SUREJ.

cheers,
theREDcamero.
Attached Thumbnails
All Roads to Kerala-img_20180212_173553927_topm.jpg  

All Roads to Kerala-mimg_20180212_173550046.jpg  

All Roads to Kerala-mimg_20180212_173551825.jpg  

All Roads to Kerala-mimg_20180212_173553927.jpg  

theREDcamero is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2018, 12:23   #11167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadmark View Post
Malayalam regional media "Mediaone TV" reports the work at Kuthiran is again stopped due to financial crisis
Quote:
Originally Posted by theREDcamero View Post
Heard that the Thrissur and Wadakkenchery flyovers, one-way Kuthiran tunnel and the toll collection will open soon.
Huh? That too posts that are just about 100 minutes apart. :-(

I'll take the media report (even if it is Media One) over the WhatsApp forward.
Old 7th March 2018, 12:50   #11168
Senior - BHPian

Due to some urgent issues at home, had to make a dash for Thrissur & back. From what I noticed, the Kuthiran tunnel would take more than 1-2 months to be readied. The approach bridge (from Palakkad side) to the tunnel are also not any where near completion. The entrance from Thrissur side (at least for tunnel) did not look any good to be considered complete.

Plus there are also lots of "revolutions/protests" going on for various issues on this stretch. Some of them around about building fly overs over existing road junctions (which as per now would have to be controlled using signal lights).

PS: On our return leg, we left Thrissur town at 11:30Hrs and cleared the Walayar border by around 12:40hrs. That too even when parts of the four lane highway are not yet ready. I remembered those days; 30-35 years back when a private bus from Thrissur took around 1 hr 40 mins to reach Palakkad (through the two laned highway, with mandatory exists at Vadakkanchery, Alathur etc. etc.).

Last edited by sachinpk : 7th March 2018 at 12:52.
Old 7th March 2018, 13:36   #11169
Senior - BHPian

My folks travelled to Palakkad from Bangalore via Chamarajanagara on the last sunday. It was a gruelling 12 hours drive, since the road work on Kanakapura road and day time traffic ensured that the maximum speed they could drive was at the speed of the slowest vehicle on the road at that time. They had crossed Silk Board at around 10 o'clock, and could reach Nijaguna Residency Chamarajanagara only by 3 o'clock in the afternoon. The slow moving traffic on the ghat section, followed by the traffic in Sathyamangalam town and of course the mess that's called L&T bypass ensured that it took them another 6 hours from there. From what they said, it's best to avoid this route till the roads are done up. Places where the road is being widened are extremely rough. Certain places are quite a challenge for vehicles with low ground clearance.
silversteed is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th March 2018, 15:05   #11170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
Plus there are also lots of "revolutions/protests" going on for various issues on this stretch. Some of them around about building fly overs over existing road junctions (which as per now would have to be controlled using signal lights).
Then the protests would be for which junctions were left out without a flyover!The only solution is to have an elevated highway from Edappally to Walayar
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2018, 16:51   #11171
BHPian

Ranjit, the dream elevated highway would start at Kanyakumari and end in Mangalore. That is the only way to have a decent highway in Kerala. Pipe dream, of course!
SajiNSalin is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th March 2018, 07:45   #11172
BHPian

Friends, what's the condition of Sullia-Panathur-Ballal-Cheemeny-Payyanur route? Is it better than regular Sullia-Mulleria-Cherkala-Payyanur-Kannur route?
Old 8th March 2018, 09:46   #11173

Hi, I have a road trip coming up from Kochi to Bangalore.

Thinking of going via Palakkad, Walayar, L&T Byepass, Annur, Sathyamangalam, Chamarajanagar, Kolligal, Maddur.
Halt at Maddur and then proceed next day to bangalore.

Has anyone taken this route recently ? How is the road condition ?
Old 8th March 2018, 10:50   #11174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboride View Post
Hi, I have a road trip coming up from Kochi to Bangalore.

Thinking of going via Palakkad, Walayar, L&T Byepass, Annur, Sathyamangalam, Chamarajanagar, Kolligal, Maddur.
Halt at Maddur and then proceed next day to bangalore.

Has anyone taken this route recently ? How is the road condition ?
You will not have any problem till Neelambur or Karumathampatty, except the L&T bypass mess. The road to Annur from either of the two places (the latter involves paying Rs.85 toll for just 3-4km of 6 lane highway before you turn off to the Annur road) is decent shape, usual TN 2-lane roads. Sathyamangalam town will be busy if you're passing through during day time.

The Dimbham ghat section is also in good shape, but it's a hit or miss affair concerning traffic. One broken down truck or accident is all it takes to cause an hours long jam. After the ghat section and till Kollegal, the roads are not that great. Your progress will be slow because of road widening work (and traffic if travelling during daylight hours). Kollegal-Maddur - no idea. Maddur to Bangalore is the Bangalore-Mysore highway, 4 lanes with decent surface and mad traffic on weekends.

IMO, you're better off sticking to the Mannuthy-Palakkad-Salem-Hosur route - with short breaks for food and refreshment instead of breaking the journey across two days.

If you want to avoid toll, you can as well try Kochi-Mannuthy-Vadakkanchery-Nenmara-Pollachi-Mangalam-Avinashi-Omallur-Dharmapuri-Palacode-Attibele route. You can start late in the afternoon and stay at Pollachi and resume early next morning, if you're more comfortable that way.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2018, 22:20   #11175
BHPian

Agree with silversteed. I think the money you spend on toll is easily recovered if you stick to the cbe - salem - Hosur road. Add to that, the convenience and time saved. Unless you have strong reason to take to the route you had mentioned, I would recommend Cbe-Salem route.
tortoise is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks