Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2018, 12:08   #11176
BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Understand from the local malayalam newspaper, the Kerala MVD has fixed cameras on the Vadakencherry to Walayar sector of the NH for catching overspeeding vehicles. They have fixed around 37 cameras, and i think the maximum speed allowed is around 80~90. So watchout.
sparky@home is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2018, 12:15   #11177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky@home View Post
Understand from the local malayalam newspaper, the Kerala MVD has fixed cameras on the Vadakencherry to Walayar sector of the NH for catching overspeeding vehicles. They have fixed around 37 cameras, and i think the maximum speed allowed is around 80~90. So watchout.
MVD claims that the cameras can read number plates and calculate the average speed as well.

speed limit is 90kmph
arjithin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2018, 12:19   #11178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky@home View Post
According to the newspaper, these cameras calculate the speed by taking into account the distance and time. So even if you slow down near the cameras, you may end up being charged for overspeeding. Speed limit is 90 kmph.
knightrider_7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2018, 12:39   #11179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightrider_7 View Post
According to the newspaper, these cameras calculate the speed by taking into account the distance and time. So even if you slow down near the cameras, you may end up being charged for overspeeding. Speed limit is 90 kmph.
With the numerous signal lights enroutes, I dont think that anyone can exceed the average speed of 90kmph in day time. You also have Highway patrol with speed guns on the route.
ontheroad is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th March 2018, 16:55   #11180
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
With the numerous signal lights enroutes, I dont think that anyone can exceed the average speed of 90kmph in day time. You also have Highway patrol with speed guns on the route.
Ever since they have opened the 4 lane section, I haven't seen a single interceptor along this route. Yes, there are highway patrols but haven't any speed guns. The usual spot was right after Walayar check post but again, haven't seen them lately. But damn sure there will be one as they really make use of the equipment .

Time to reinstall "Waze" app.

Speed limit is 90 kmph. A photo was circulated last month.

All Roads to Kerala-img20180226wa0010.jpg
Old 18th March 2018, 17:18   #11181
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Speed limit is 90 kmph. A photo was circulated last month.
Speed limits in Kerala are permanently available on the MVD website:

http://www.keralamvd.gov.in/index.ph...2014/91-14.pdf
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2018, 21:12   #11182
Senior - BHPian

It was a very conservative 70 kmph till about a couple of years ago. Thankfully good sense prevailed and they have increased it to 90 kmph for the 4 laned NH's. Still this too slow for a proper sedan (1.5 l petrol and above). Should have kept it at the ton mark at the bare minimum.
Old 18th March 2018, 21:29   #11183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
It was a very conservative 70 kmph till about a couple of years ago. Thankfully good sense prevailed and they have increased it to 90 kmph for the 4 laned NH's. Still this too slow for a proper sedan (1.5 l petrol and above). Should have kept it at the ton mark at the bare minimum.
I don't think the total 4-lane stretch in Kerala (NH+SH combined) would exceed 1000 km. Walayar-Cherthala of NH 544 is probably about 170 km, which passes through two large corporations (Kochi & Thrissur) and several mid-sized municipalities (Palakkad, Aluva, Kalamassery, Angamali, Chalakudi...) that have lower speed limits as per the chart.

Keeping higher speed limits in Kerala is a bit of a problem. The state is among the top sufferers in terms of increasing vehicle population and road accidents. Even with these rigorously enforced limits there is a lot of rash driving on Kerala roads - by all classes of drivers.
Old 18th March 2018, 22:11   #11184
Senior - BHPian

Due to some emergencies had to make a quick dash to Kerala and back, over the week end.

Left Bangalore at around 2PM, reached Salem by around 5PM for a quick stop at the Saravana Bhavan. "Crew change", and left the place by 5:30PM and reached Palakkad by 7:45PM. Reached Kongad by 8:30PM. The minor irritants were the L&T bye-pass and the state roads between a point after Mundur and Kongad surroundings.

Return journey started from Guruvayur at 1:00PM. Had less traffic on the Kerala side, and crossed Kuthiran etc. in a jiffy. Crossed into TN by around 2:40PM.

The irritant stretch was from Salem to Krishnagiri toll. The irritating road barriers, which was confusing lot many people and forcing many to brake hard. It was around 6PM when I started from Salem after a long halt at Saravana Bhavan inside Salem city. I think from now on, I should stick to the Palacode-Rayakottai route after sun set. The drive on that state highway is a much better experience.

---
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
You also have Highway patrol with speed guns on the route.
Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Ever since they have opened the 4 lane section, I haven't seen a single interceptor along this route.
They ("Interceptors" with speed guns) are very much there. From what I came to know, in a busy day they make around Rs. 15,000-20,000 by focusing on Sec 183 MV Act alone (fine is generally Rs. 400/vehicle).

Every district these days have an Interceptor vehicle. In Palakkad Dt. they may be pulled out from the National Highway to run radar on the good stretches of the state highways as well (there are some really good spots on the Palakkad-Pathirippala-Ottapalam stretch).

The Highway Police vehicles are generally a bit more relaxed. Their focus seems to be on over-loaded vehicles, riding without helmets etc. etc.
sachinpk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2018, 23:29   #11185
BHPian

Guys.. Need a quick help. Can anyone suggest a good quality restaurant in Guruvayur to have lunch with family after Darshan. Preferably at walking distance from the temple.
Old 19th March 2018, 09:47   #11186
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i20ian View Post
Guys.. Need a quick help. Can anyone suggest a good quality restaurant in Guruvayur to have lunch with family after Darshan. Preferably at walking distance from the temple.
Ramakrishna Lunch Home/Restaurant is decent, right in front of the temple on the East Nada. There is an AC Family hall on the first floor.
Almost behind this (there is a small lane next to Ramakrishna that takes you to the parallel road) there is Rugmini Regency. Inside the hotel, they have a good restaurant. There are few other restaurants as well around the East Nada, but haven't tried them.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2018, 10:43   #11187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
... From what I came to know, in a busy day they make around Rs. 15,000-20,000 by focusing on Sec 183 MV Act alone (fine is generally Rs. 400/vehicle).
...there are some really good spots on the Palakkad-Pathirippala-Ottapalam stretch ...The Highway Police vehicles are generally a bit more relaxed. Their focus seems to be on over-loaded vehicles, riding without helmets etc. etc.
The fine amount starts from Rs.300. The quantum of the fine will depend on the margin. The highway police interceptors are located at strategic points to catch speed limit violations. Over-loaded vehicles are usually stopped near the checkpost or at places where there's a safe lay-by. Riding without helmets, driving without seat belt on etc are usually taken up by the local traffic cops.
Old 19th March 2018, 11:04   #11188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
Had less traffic on the Kerala side, and crossed Kuthiran etc. in a jiffy.

Thanks for the update. Any updates on Kuthiran tunnel? Is there any progress?
Old 19th March 2018, 11:55   #11189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
Thanks for the update. Any updates on Kuthiran tunnel? Is there any progress?
The only striking difference I could see is that the approach roads are getting readied at a steady pace. Especially the approach road with the bridge from Palakkad side. The tunnel still looks a bit incomplete. Especially at the entrance (from Thrissur side), I could not see a very clear finishing touch being given to the entry points. Which means that there is much more work to be done. The whole stretch of road from Thrissur side also is yet to be widened. My gut feeling is that there is still 2-3 months of work left.
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2018, 18:59   #11190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i20ian View Post

I like the lunch at Hotel Elite in east nada but that is about a km walk once you are out.
vinucv is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks