Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2018, 20:18   #11191
BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Ramakrishna Lunch Home/Restaurant is decent, right in front of the temple on the East Nada. There is an AC Family hall on the first floor.
Almost behind this (there is a small lane next to Ramakrishna that takes you to the parallel road) there is Rugmini Regency. Inside the hotel, they have a good restaurant. There are few other restaurants as well around the East Nada, but haven't tried them.
Thank you NPV. By the time we reached Ramakrishna it was closed. So went on and had lunch from Saravana Bhavan almost half a kilometre from east nada opposite to woodland hotel. The lunch was sumptuous. They have a good AC family hall upstairs. Should try out next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
Thanks for the update. Any updates on Kuthiran tunnel? Is there any progress?
Kuthiran tunnel is all the same. Work still going on at crawling pace. No signs of getting opened in near future. The approach roads are getting readied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinucv View Post
I like the lunch at Hotel Elite in east nada but that is about a km walk once you are out.
Thank you. Will try out next time
i20ian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2018, 09:36   #11192

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
You will not have any problem till Neelambur or Karumathampatty, except the L&T bypass mess. The road to Annur from either of the two places (the latter involves paying Rs.85 toll for just 3-4km of 6 lane highway before you turn off to the Annur road) is decent shape, usual TN 2-lane roads. Sathyamangalam town will be busy if you're passing through during day time.
Thanks for the suggestion. Did the usual palakkad-salem-hosur route both ways. It was indeed the right choice as I was travelling with family and had my 5 month old baby also. Lots of new restaurants have come up on the highway side and we took almost 4 hours of break altogether.

Just curious about the pollachi-avinashi-dharmapuri-hosur route, won't it go through all the small towns that the new toll road bypasses ?

Last edited by ampere : 21st March 2018 at 10:32. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Old 21st March 2018, 11:50   #11193
Senior - BHPian

Did a Bangalore-Calicut drive yesterday. Started from office at 2:30 PM, but a number of important phone calls (some work-related, some tutoring my son who's having annual exams) meant that I lost a lot of time parked on the roadside attending them. :-) It was past 9 when I entered Palakkad and nearly 9:45 that I started proceeding towards Calicut after dinner, via the NH 213 beyond Olavakkode.

Took the usual Mundur-Cherpulassery-Perinthalmanna route. Few culverts in the problem Kongad-Mangalamkunnu section are being rebuilt; I'm hoping this is the precursor to the final repair of this 13 km section.

The Jubilee Road bypass to Perinthalmanna was closed (resurfacing work), so I had to take the slightly circuitous route via the main junction with NH 213. From there onwards I had the company of a large convoy of car carriers.

By the time I reached Angadipuram, I was getting frustrated and then I remembered my brother (who does Palakkad-Calicut frequently) suggesting Perinthalmanna-Manjery-Arekode-Calicut. So I took the turnoff towards Manjeri at Tirurkad junction. This road was quite good (though narrow; wouldn't suggest taking it during daytime) till Anakkayam where it joins the road from Malappuram. Beyond this point (which is basically Manjery town limits) there is road widening, rebuilding of culverts and resurfacing work happening; so it was bumpy and slow progress.

There are two routes from Perinthalmanna to Manjery: The shorter Angadipuram-Tirurkad-Anakkayam-Manjery route that I took, and the slightly longer one via Pattikkad-Pandikkad. With hindsight, I probably should have taken the latter.

Somewhere in between I had stopped for tea and had time to check Google Maps about the Arekode route; figured that it is a bit longer (the actual arrival time at Calicut was about 20 minutes later). So eventually I decided to turn towards Valluvamburam at Manjery and take NH 213 again. Took the bypass and arrived at Valluvamburam somewhere in the middle of the car carrier convoy.

Then it was a painful drive till Ramanattukara. I regretted several times the decision not to go via Arekode. For the uninitiated, the route is to not take the bypass; instead go into Manjery city, go straight at the main junction (left: Calicut, right: Pandikkad, straight: Nilambur) and then take left at the Melakkam junction that comes a couple of kms later. From Arekode one can reach Calicut city via Edavannapara-Perumanna or Mavoor-CMC.

Remember that the Valluvamburam-Ramanattukara section has, apart from the truck traffic, all the vehicles that are proceeding to or from the Calicut Airport. It is maddening traffic even in the dead of the night.

Finally arrived at BMH at 12:45 AM where I parked in the corporation parking under the bridge and walked home (the approach road to my home is not wide enough for my car).

One point: Every bar that was closed by the Oommen Chandy government, is now being reopened. They are all getting spruced up - you can notice the proliferation of the distinctive rhombus-shaped "BAR" boards all along the route. In a few months night driving in Kerala will become as scary as it was, with drunk drivers unable to control their vehicles all along the road. Be aware.
binand is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 21st March 2018, 15:59   #11194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Did a Bangalore-Calicut drive yesterday. Started from office at 2:30 PM....

Finally arrived at BMH at 12:45 AM where I parked in the corporation parking under the bridge and walked home (the approach road to my home is not wide enough for my car).

One point: Every bar that was closed by the Oommen Chandy government, is now being reopened. They are all getting spruced up - you can notice the proliferation of the distinctive rhombus-shaped "BAR" boards all along the route. In a few months night driving in Kerala will become as scary as it was, with drunk drivers unable to control their vehicles all along the road. Be aware.
Sir, would it be possible for you to plot the suggested route on Google Maps and share the image? The Bangalore-Kozhikode-Palakkad section is one which I also have to use quite often. I have not tried the Areecode-Mukkam route at all.

Yes, the bars are now getting opened left, right & center; but my hope is that enforcement of Sec.185 MV.Act also would be high. Not because of any greater social responsibility from the Govt. of Kerala, but because of the potential income from the same. Sell liquor at around 150-200% above the actual cost, pocket the income, and then use the state police to enforce the drunken driving laws and generate revenue from there as well. Rs.3000-4000 per drunk driver is not small money .

PS: From what I could glean out from a couple of friends who are in the police. Shutting down bars actually did not make any change in the liquor consumption or associated issues. People who wanted to booze still purchased the liquor from the Bev.Co outlets. If they could not booze at home, they identified lesser inhabited areas. Pretty much any shady/empty spot was a potential "bar". The police too faced a big challenge here, they did not have enough men to patrol such places. When bars were aplenty, the police had things a bit easy.
Old 21st March 2018, 17:08   #11195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
Yes, the bars are now getting opened left, right & center; but my hope is that enforcement of Sec.185 MV.Act also would be high. Not because of any greater social responsibility from the Govt. of Kerala, but because of the potential income from the same. Sell liquor at around 150-200% above the actual cost, pocket the income, and then use the state police to enforce the drunken driving laws and generate revenue from there as well. Rs.3000-4000 per drunk driver is not small money .

PS: From what I could glean out from a couple of friends who are in the police. Shutting down bars actually did not make any change in the liquor consumption or associated issues. People who wanted to booze still purchased the liquor from the Bev.Co outlets. If they could not booze at home, they identified lesser inhabited areas. Pretty much any shady/empty spot was a potential "bar". The police too faced a big challenge here, they did not have enough men to patrol such places. When bars were aplenty, the police had things a bit easy.
This drink and drive is a serious problem, and with the govt. giving permission left right and centre, wonder where it will end. The police will anyway catch the tipplers, i have once watched around 4 pm a police jeep waiting just down the road from a bar to catch these chaps leaving the bar, they had a chap waiting outside who was passing the information. So its win all for the government.
sparky@home is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2018, 18:10   #11196
BHPian

Can anyone suggest the best route from Calicut to Palakkad? I will be starting from Kattangal (near Mukkam) at 5 am, on this Friday. I will be traveling by two-wheeler, with my wife. Recommendations for breakfast en-route are also appreciated.
Old 21st March 2018, 18:33   #11197
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightrider_7 View Post
Can anyone suggest the best route from Calicut to Palakkad? I will be starting from Kattangal (near Mukkam) at 5 am, on this Friday. I will be traveling by two-wheeler, with my wife. Recommendations for breakfast en-route are also appreciated.
Since you're starting early, stick to NH 213 (now NH966 ?) via Malappuram, Perinthalmanna.
Not sure about eateries en route but maybe you can have breakfast at Palakkad itself ?
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2018, 18:48   #11198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Since you are starting from near Mukkam you can also consider Mukkam-Areekode-Manjeri-Perintalmanna-Cherpulasseri-Mundur-Palakkad. This is much shorter than going all the way back to Calicut. But there are small bad stretches near Areacode (about 3 kms) and from near Kadambazhippuram to just before Kongad (about 6 kms)

https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/Ka...10.7995079!3e0
mallumowgli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2018, 19:13   #11199
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Would second what mallumowgli recommended.But why on a two wheeler? Won't you be better off taking a bus. Calicut -Palakkad is not a nice route for a two wheeler.

If it has to be a two wheeler, would be worth checking the route via two wheeler mode in Google maps. I am sure it would have some recommendations which may help avoid the main traffic filled highways and still be faster.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2018, 19:19   #11200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Won't you be better off taking a bus. Calicut -Palakkad is not a nice route for a two wheeler.
I concur. The KURTC low-floor service is supposed to be superb for inter-city travel in Kerala these days.
binand is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2018, 05:23   #11201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Since you're starting early, stick to NH 213 (now NH966 ?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post

Quote:
If it has to be a two wheeler, would be worth checking the route via two wheeler mode in Google maps.
Many thanks for the pointers. I did the two-wheeler mode search in Google maps and found the following route, which shows only 2.5 hrs travel time.

The route is Kattangal-Areekode- Manjeri- Pandikkad- Melattur- Mannarkad- Palakkad.

All Roads to Kerala-screenshot_20180322050858821_com.google.android.apps.maps.png

Quote:
But why on a two wheeler?
Quote:
I concur. The KURTC low-floor service is supposed to be superb for inter-city travel in Kerala these days.
The actual plan is to stay at a relative's house in Palakkad on Friday and complete the Pollachi- Valparai - Chalakudy route on the next day. I guess that route would be more enjoyable in a bullet.

Thanks again for the quick responses.
knightrider_7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2018, 09:36   #11202
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
I have travelled in the city versions of the KURTC low floor. The plastic moulded seats are really narrow and make you sit bolt upright. Wouldn't it be uncomfortable for any long distance journey ? In fact, I wonder whether KSRTC is even bothered about seat comfort for passengers (who have to pay through the nose) before deploying these on long distance routes.
Old 22nd March 2018, 12:39   #11203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
I have travelled in the city versions of the KURTC low floor. The plastic moulded seats are really narrow and make you sit bolt upright. Wouldn't it be uncomfortable for any long distance journey?
Do they run different buses for within-city routes and inter-city routes? Within city I guess are buses sourced under JNNURM scheme. Not sure of inter-city. The reason is, my father-in-law (who does Nedumbassery-Calicut) and brother (who does Palakkad-Calicut) both swear by these low-floor buses.
Old 22nd March 2018, 13:04   #11204
Senior - BHPian

Kuthiran: National Highway construction without adequate security warnings (Malayalam news paper report)
The report mentions that a "contempt of court" petition has been filed after it was found that the NH construction activities are being done with no security measures in place. On last Wednesday a truck with cement bags fell into a ditch dug up due to the construction activities. On March 13th two huge container trucks collided with each other. The High Court of Kerala had entrusted Sub-Inspectors of Police of Pattikad, Mannuthi and Vadakkanchery, and Superindent & Commissioners of Police of Palakkad and Thrissur respectively, to ensure that the security measures are in place. The contempt of court petition would be against these officials.

The road in this stretch has now got a different lay out and alignment, and there are no adequate and clear warnings of diversions, uneven roads, and ditches/pits etc. Night time driving is extremely risky because of this.
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2018, 13:14   #11205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Many thanks for the pointers. I did the two-wheeler mode search in Google maps and found the following route, which shows only 2.5 hrs travel time.

The route is Kattangal-Areekode- Manjeri- Pandikkad- Melattur- Mannarkad- Palakkad
This would be the same distance as the route suggested by me. And the roads are also fine (except for a small stretch after Manjeri). You will hit NH at Kumaranputhur and then you have to cross Mannarkad town. If you reach here before 8 then fine, else it will be congested.

You didn't mention Bullet or Valparai - that's why people are suggesting buses Means you are going for a ride and not commuting

Quote:
Do they run different buses for within-city routes and inter-city routes? Within city I guess are buses sourced under JNNURM scheme. Not sure of inter-city. The reason is, my father-in-law (who does Nedumbassery-Calicut) and brother (who does Palakkad-Calicut) both swear by these low-floor buses.
Both inter and intra city routes are JNNURM buses.They took special approval to operate inter-city. Bus and seating arrangement are same, except the seats are slightly different with taller back support. But not too comfortable over long distances

Last edited by mallumowgli : 22nd March 2018 at 13:19.
mallumowgli is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks