Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2018, 11:39   #11311
BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Speed limit is 90kmph on 4-lane divided highways inside Kerala, and unofficially the cops manning the interceptors allow a 5-7kmph margin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
When going from Bangalore, just after the Walayar toll, there is a speed limit signage for 50kmph. Such boards can be seen on the stretch between Walayar-Palakkad-Alathur. Are these 50kmph limits enforced (if yes, how ?)
This is exactly what my confusion is. I have noticed these signage boards of 50 kmph on this stretch, but I never understood the rationale behind it, as the road is pretty good, and maintaining 50 kmph feels so frustrating here.
Old 8th May 2018, 11:40   #11312
BHPian

90KMPH is the maximum speed in the highway. There is speed restrictions in places where pedestrian crossings, schools, accident spots etc. Whenever you see 50Kmph speed limit board, it is always expected to reduce speed.
Old 11th May 2018, 17:19   #11313
BHPian

I am planning a drive to Alleppey on 13-May (Sun) @ 03:00 AM. Is there any reason to worry because of the KA elections happening on 12-May (Sat)?
Old 11th May 2018, 21:09   #11314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repsol View Post
I am planning a drive to Alleppey on 13-May (Sun) @ 03:00 AM. Is there any reason to worry because of the KA elections happening on 12-May (Sat)?
Nothing to worry. Rather it will be more safe as better police presence will be there.
Sree73 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2018, 19:13   #11315
BHPian

I drove from North Paravur to Bangalore last Monday. Took the Angamaly - Thrissur - Palakkad - Salem - Hosur route. As others have reported, except Kuthiran stretch, most of Thrissur - Alathur highway widening is completed. There are frequent small stretches where the wide road suddenly narrows down with oncoming traffic though. Please be careful especially at night. Kuthiran is in the same state as others have reported. There are frequent signals in the Angamali- Palakkad stretch. The green light for highway traffic is less than 30 seconds at most places. Numerous speed cameras are being installed in the Alathur - Walayar stretch. Some of them may be in operation. They look like a cross made of metal poles with multiple small cameras on them covering all lanes in both directions of traffic. In Tamilnadu, as one nears Salem, the speed barriers at junctions start popping up with more frequency. They are there at almost every junction post Salem. On the whole, I did not feel much troubled with them. I feel one should be careful to slow down and look for cross traffic as two wheelers can have a blind spot due to the barriers. If one concentrates too much on swerving through the barriers at max speed possible, there's a danger that a two wheeler trying to cross may be missed. One thing that I felt regarding the barriers while making the onward journey in the night is that they have very bright reflectors that can be spotted easily. Thanks to TN police for that. Started at 6:00 AM. Reached in about 8.5 hours of driving time and 1.5 hours of breaks.

Last edited by MinivanDriver : 12th May 2018 at 19:15. Reason: grammar
Old 13th May 2018, 20:28   #11316
BHPian

Drove from Thrissur to Kochi and back today. Surprisingly no toll was collected at Paliyekkara toll gate. Is this a temporary phenomenon or has it been stopped?
Old 13th May 2018, 20:32   #11317
Team-BHP Support

Speedcams have been setup near the Walayar toll booth. Spotted two of them on either side of the toll booth manning the lanes independently. Not sure if they've already started working.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2018, 18:31   #11318
BHPian

Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Fastag experience from recent trip to Palakkad and back (left on Sunday and returned on Monday to escape the holiday traffic):
Onward (Bangalore-Palakkad):

9. L&T Coimbatore bypass - does not accept Fastag, P-A-I-N-F-U-L experience as usual, too much criss-crossing local traffic (drive very carefully and be alert always), most plazas had just one booth operating and need to keep showing the receipt at each plaza
Newbie to FASTag - just applied via Equitas online last night. Hoping I will receive in Bangalore by Friday

Planning a weekend trip to Palakkad (leaving Bangalore on 19/5 and returning on 21/5), read the last 15 - 18 pages of this discussion, I see some mentions of needing to be careful with the Coimbatore Toll - what is the real issue? Is it that it doesn't accept FASTag (which I guess is the case), is there anything else that one needs to be cautious about?
Old 15th May 2018, 19:04   #11319
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonblr View Post
I see some mentions of needing to be careful with the Coimbatore Toll - what is the real issue? Is it that it doesn't accept FASTag (which I guess is the case), is there anything else that one needs to be cautious about?
Doesn't accept FASTag.

The problem really is that this the only section that is 2 laned and undivided road (all other sections on either side of this tolled stretch are either 4 or 6 laned with median). There are also several cross roads/junctions with 2 wheeler traffic and even regular traffic is generally indisciplined on this section, so just need to be alert. Additional pain is having to show the receipt at multiple booths along the way on this stretch.
If you're driving from Coimbatore side to Palakkad side, you pay the full toll amount at the first plaza and then there are multiple plazas en route on this tolled stretch where you need to show them the same receipt for validation! This is because the tolled stretch has multiple entry/exit points.

Last edited by NPV : 15th May 2018 at 19:07.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2018, 19:05   #11320
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonblr View Post
I see some mentions of needing to be careful with the Coimbatore Toll - what is the real issue? Is it that it doesn't accept FASTag (which I guess is the case), is there anything else that one needs to be cautious about?
It's an undivided single carriageway with 2 lanes which comes in between a 4/6 laned roads. Heavy traffic, multiple toll-booths that don't accept Fastag, overtaking is a pain, night driving is an even bigger pain due to the high beams from the oncoming vehicles, 2 major junctions (has signals but doesn't operate at night). All these makes this stretch a mess!
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2018, 22:58   #11321
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
It's an undivided single carriageway with 2 lanes which comes in between a 4/6 laned roads. Heavy traffic, multiple toll-booths that don't accept Fastag, overtaking is a pain, night driving is an even bigger pain due to the high beams from the oncoming vehicles, 2 major junctions (has signals but doesn't operate at night). All these makes this stretch a mess!
Does it make sense to drive through CBE at night instead?
Old 15th May 2018, 23:36   #11322
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
If destination is Palakkad or further down towards Kerala, driving through the city of Coimbatore is a detour and involves few narrow and one way sections inside the city.
I'd rather time this section well, so prefer an early start from Bangalore, 4 am works very well. In the other direction, I prefer to cross this section latest by noon.

Last edited by ajmat : 16th May 2018 at 00:17.
Old 16th May 2018, 01:16   #11323
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Nope. It's a long detour. The bypass OTOH is a straight road. I usually cross this stretch around 1-2 AM during the onward journey.

Only one lane on the toll booths are operational most of the time and vehicles pass by quickly. I keep that toll slip on the windshield's ticket holder and don't bother thereafter.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2018, 10:09   #11324
BHPian

All Roads to Kerala

Have anyone done Valparai - Chalakudy route recently? I am planning to do Bangalore - Valparai - Cochin in mid June.
Old 21st May 2018, 10:20   #11325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgginish View Post
Have anyone done Valparai - Chalakudy route recently? I am planning to do Bangalore - Valparai - Cochin in mid June.

I did during the last week. The tarmac is in excellent condition but no more scenic! Forest department staff give you 2 hours to complete this stretch of 55 km failing which threaten with fine of Rs.2000!
Gokrish is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed