Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2018, 08:43   #11386
BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequod View Post
Driving to Goa from Cochin on Saturday, was planning on Bangalore-Hubli-Anmod route, till Google Maps suggested this : Turn left before Avinashi, and take the Kollegal-Kunigal-Hebbur route to Tumkur.

Any feedback on road conditions on this route? Thanks!
I had done Goa-Bangalore-Kochi in May and the route taken was Goa-Mollem-Anmod-Dharwad BP-Bangalore-Kochi and roads are generally very good except some portions in Goa (due to construction), near Alanavar and Kuthiran. And of course, the Coimbatore BP, which is an eternal pain. I took 10 hours for Goa (Candolim) - Bangalore and 9 hours for Bangalore - Kochi with stay at Bangalore (Yelahanka).
JohnnyBoss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2018, 09:07   #11387
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBoss View Post
I had done Goa-Bangalore-Kochi in May
Thanks, but my query was specifically regarding the route to Tumkur from Coimbatore through Kollegal-Kunigal. This route, if road conditions are reasonable, means avoiding Salem Hosur Bangalore altogether.
Old 4th July 2018, 09:50   #11388
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, but my query was specifically regarding the route to Tumkur from Coimbatore through Kollegal-Kunigal. This route, if road conditions are reasonable, means avoiding Salem Hosur Bangalore altogether.
Frankly, I don't think you need to avoid Salem-Hosur-Bangalore at all. In that long a drive the savings to be had by taking the Dimbam ghats route might not amount to much. The only positives are the "scenic drive" aspect and savings on toll. On the other hand even the smallest accident or stuck truck often results in long jams along this route. It goes through many small towns without bypasses too.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2018, 09:53   #11389
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Driving to Goa from Cochin on Saturday, was planning on Bangalore-Hubli-Anmod route, till Google Maps suggested this : Turn left before Avinashi, and take the Kollegal-Kunigal-Hebbur route to Tumkur.

Any feedback on road conditions on this route? Thanks!
The roads are good except for some construction activity around TN-KA border near.
But this route eventually will take more time due to long stretches of 2 lane highways with lot of two-wheeler traffic and a ghat section with 27 hairpin bends. I would advice you to continue with Avinashi-Salem-Bangalore (bypass through NICE road)- Kunigal for a faster and peaceful drive. The Kollegal route is very scenic though, passing through forest areas with chances of wildlife sightings.
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2018, 10:11   #11390
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish View Post
I did during the last week. The tarmac is in excellent condition but no more scenic! Forest department staff give you 2 hours to complete this stretch of 55 km failing which threaten with fine of Rs.2000!
Why they are forcing to exit the route within 2 hours? Is it during daytime or night?
Old 8th July 2018, 13:01   #11391
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
Why they are forcing to exit the route within 2 hours? Is it during daytime or night?
During night, it is closed for traffic completely. This is day time restriction.
Gokrish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2018, 13:20   #11392
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
By the time I reached Angadipuram, I was getting frustrated and then I remembered my brother (who does Palakkad-Calicut frequently) suggesting Perinthalmanna-Manjery-Arekode-Calicut.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
Sir, would it be possible for you to plot the suggested route on Google Maps and share the image?
So I went this way again on Friday. This time I did the full route, which is: https://goo.gl/maps/dpG33e4AFGS2

This is about 10 km/15 minutes longer than the route via Malappuram-Kondotty (which you can see if you remove the middle stop from the map above) but it is so much more peaceful.

Manjery town seems to be awake all-night nowadays due the the medical college. Many stalls for tea/refreshments that are open all night. Next such location is Calicut Medical College.

(On the regular route these locations are at the Calicut Airport junction and at Pantheerankavu on the bypass).

The route was empty most of the time, unlike the super-busy regular route. Once I turned off at Arekode towards Edavannapara I don't think I saw even a single vehicle till I reached CMC.
Old 10th July 2018, 08:18   #11393
BHPian

Drove solo Bangalore ~ Thrissur ~ Bangalore a week back.
Left Bangalore at 4 PM on 29th Friday and surprisingly traffic was lean for a Friday evening but then we were greeted with heavy rainfall from Krishnagiri to Salem all the way. Rain reduced the progress significantly in this stretch. With a stop at Saravana Bhavan Vaikuntam for snack reached Thrissur (Wadakkancherry) before 10 PM.

On the return left Thrissur (Poonkunnam) at 4PM on 1st Sunday and took Wadakkancherry ~ Chelakara ~ Alathur since I heard Kuthiran was bad that day evening. It was a smooth sail till Vaikundam Saravana Bhavan. Post that had to spend long time on all the tolls irrespective of FastTag / Cash. The tolls post Krishnagiri is becoming a nightmare on Sunday evenings, I should have taken State Highways and avoid all tolls.

Cheers!
treadmark is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2018, 09:22   #11394

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadmark View Post
Drove solo Bangalore ~ Thrissur ~ Bangalore a week back.
snip<<<With a stop at Saravana Bhavan Vaikuntam for snack reached Thrissur (Wadakkancherry) before 10 PM.

On the return left Thrissur (Poonkunnam) at 4PM on 1st Sunday and took Wadakkancherry ~ Chelakara ~ Alathur since I heard Kuthiran was bad that day evening. It was a smooth sail till Vaikundam Saravana Bhavan. >>>snip
^^^
Wadakkancherry or Vadakkencherry? I'm all ears for any alternative routes to Thrissur- Palakkad if we can by pass Kuthiran. Sometime back, we took the Shornur-Ottappalam detour to get to Thrissur, but I don't remember the exact route now. Kuthiran can be a hit or miss these days with the tunnel construction.

Thanks.
Old 10th July 2018, 11:07   #11395
BHPian

@Lively, I did a trip to Vadkencherry on 5th via Kuthiran, and it was ok. The traffic was moving smoothly, there was a slight delay at the Pampampalam where a truck had fallen on its side, but on my return, it was removed. You can take that route, imho.
sparky@home is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2018, 11:50   #11396
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lively View Post
Wadakkancherry or Vadakkencherry? I'm all ears for any alternative routes to Thrissur- Palakkad if we can by pass Kuthiran.
There are generally two routes that people consider. Both enter Thrissur from the north side (Viyyur side).

1. Palakkad-Kulappully-Wadakkanchery-Thrissur. Excellent road with usual KL SH width. Longer by about 15-20 km when compared to the Kuthiran route. Hotspots are the major towns en route - Ottapalam, Shoranur and Wadakkanchery. Getting on to this route from Chandranagar is a bit of a hassle.

2. Palakkad-Alathur-Mullurkara-Thrissur. Narrower road than (1), but shorter. Towns could be tougher to negotiate (Pazhayannur, Chelakkara). You get to drive on NH 544 for a bit longer.

I have driven on all; and my selection is Kuthiran route if driving between 9 PM and 6 AM and Shoranur route otherwise. Only if Google Maps show problems in Shoranur route do I take the Chelakkara route.
Old 10th July 2018, 15:36   #11397
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
^^^
Wadakkancherry or Vadakkencherry?
Quote:
take the Chelakkara route.
I take the Paliyekara Toll-Oushadhi Flyover-Nadathara Signal Left-Mission Hospital-Museum-Ashwini Hospital-Bypass-Viyyur-Wadakancheri-Vazhakode-Chelakara-Pazhayannur-Plazhi-Alathur route to Coimbatore just for one single reason

And the reason is below

All Roads to Kerala-487865_10151487286767790_1711113051_n.jpg

Thrissur-Alathur would take you about 90mins(+- 30mins).

https://goo.gl/maps/tVyZwfCn5XP2

Last edited by ranjitp1 : 10th July 2018 at 15:37. Reason: Route map added
ranjitp1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th July 2018, 16:43   #11398
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
I take the Paliyekara Toll-[snip]-Wadakancheri-Chelakara-[snip]-Alathur route to Coimbatore just for one single reason
It is a quick detour from NH 544. Why wouldn't you take the NH and do that?

In any case, I see your SNR and raise you:

https://www.thehindu.com/2005/09/15/...1500450200.htm
Old 11th July 2018, 07:51   #11399
BHPian

Quote:
^^^
Wadakkancherry or Vadakkencherry? I'm all ears for any alternative routes to Thrissur- Palakkad if we can by pass Kuthiran.

Thanks.
I meant Wadakkanchery in Thrissur district and not Palakkad LINK

As binand mentioned there is no need to deviate if you are crossing Kuthiran at dark.

Quote:
There are generally two routes that people consider. Both enter Thrissur from the north side (Viyyur side).

1. Palakkad-Kulappully-Wadakkanchery-Thrissur. Excellent road with usual KL SH width. Longer by about 15-20 km when compared to the Kuthiran route. Hotspots are the major towns en route - Ottapalam, Shoranur and Wadakkanchery. Getting on to this route from Chandranagar is a bit of a hassle.

2. Palakkad-Alathur-Mullurkara-Thrissur. Narrower road than (1), but shorter. Towns could be tougher to negotiate (Pazhayannur, Chelakkara). You get to drive on NH 544 for a bit longer.
I prefer Option 2 over 1 as you have to negotiate Palakkad town and Ottapalam which are relatively bad when compared to Pazhayannur and Chelakkara. Palakkad ~ Ottapalam in spite of being wide sees more traffic now a days.

Cheers!
treadmark is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2018, 08:22   #11400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadmark View Post
I prefer Option 2 over 1 as you have to negotiate Palakkad town and Ottapalam which are relatively bad when compared to Pazhayannur and Chelakkara.
There is one more benefit of using option 2 - it gives one access to the Alathur-Kollengode-Pollachi route which is the best alternative to the ever irritating, and in my opinion quite dangerous Coimbatore L&T bypass. One could eventually merge with NH 544 via Pollachi-Kamanaikanpalayam-Karumathampatti, a few km before Avinashi.

Of all the roads that I frequent, the L&T bypass is the top pick for the most terrifying one.

Most Viewed