Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2018, 09:05   #11401
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Alathur-Kollengode-Pollachi route which is the best alternative to the ever irritating, and in my opinion quite dangerous Coimbatore L&T bypass. One could eventually merge with NH 544 via Pollachi-Kamanaikanpalayam-Karumathampatti, a few km before Avinashi.
Is this even a practical option at all ? Just to avoid L&T bypass, is it necessary to throw away all the 4L that is available from post-kuthiran all the way to just before avinashi ? This alternate route (narrow, any hiccup/jam will ripple heavily), will add a minimum of 1 hr to an otherwise ~3hr journey - thats 33%. Of course, goes without saying that close to 200 rupees in toll saving is there.
Old 11th July 2018, 09:48   #11402
BHPian

I am planning to drive from Pune to Calicut this weekend. Not exactly sure what Monsoon will have in store for me.

The query is specific to the choice of the ghat to descent to Kerala. Which ghat is likely to be in better shape , Wayanad (Thamarassery) or Nadugani ghat?

I keep reading that there has been a lot of rains in Wayanad over the last couple of days or so..

Thanks in advance for the responses!

Last edited by Bigzero : 11th July 2018 at 09:48. Reason: simpler grammar
Old 11th July 2018, 14:29   #11403
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigzero View Post
I am planning to drive from Pune to Calicut this weekend. Not exactly sure what Monsoon will have in store for me.
You can find details here.
Old 11th July 2018, 15:03   #11404
BHPian

What is the present condition of Athirappilly - Vettilappara - Kalady Plantation - Malayattoor - Kuruppampady road? Anyone did this route recently may please update.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11th July 2018, 19:06   #11405
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBoss View Post
What is the present condition of Athirappilly - Vettilappara - Kalady Plantation - Malayattoor - Kuruppampady road? Anyone did this route recently may please update.

Thanks in advance.
I did Thrissur ~ Athirappilly a week back, so I can comment on the section between Vettilappara and Athriappilly is all good.
More to it, this is the best time to visit the falls. Bith Vazhachaal and Athirapilly both were on full glory.

Cheers!
treadmark is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2018, 10:56   #11406

Quote:
There are generally two routes that people consider. Both enter Thrissur from the north side (Viyyur side).

1. Palakkad-Kulappully-Wadakkanchery-Thrissur. Excellent road with usual KL SH width. Longer by about 15-20 km when compared to the Kuthiran route. Hotspots are the major towns en route - Ottapalam, Shoranur and Wadakkanchery. Getting on to this route from Chandranagar is a bit of a hassle.

2. Palakkad-Alathur-Mullurkara-Thrissur. Narrower road than (1), but shorter. Towns could be tougher to negotiate (Pazhayannur, Chelakkara). You get to drive on NH 544 for a bit longer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadmark View Post
As binand mentioned there is no need to deviate if you are crossing Kuthiran at dark.

I prefer Option 2 over 1 as you have to negotiate Palakkad town and Ottapalam which are relatively bad when compared to Pazhayannur and Chelakkara. Palakkad ~ Ottapalam in spite of being wide sees more traffic now a days.

Cheers!
Thank you all. I recollect now that we had driven through Pazhayannur - Chelakkara route. That route was narrower and winding, but minimal traffic. The drive was scenic through the sleepy towns.

We prefer not to drive past mid-night. Just one of the safe driving practices we follow . Drove through Kuthiran from Thrissur to Palakkad a couple of weeks ago. Construction is ongoing even past Kuthiran. There are long stretches around Vadakkencherry where the roads are uneven and broken due to the construction work, but can't be avoided.
Old 12th July 2018, 12:04   #11407

Hi Everyone, please help me with the current road conditions of the following route. (Bangalore - Salem - Coimbatore - Thrissur - Kochi). I intend to travel towards the end of Jul 2018. Thanks!
Old 12th July 2018, 12:28   #11408
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_ak View Post
Hi Everyone, please help me with the current road conditions of the following route. (Bangalore - Salem - Coimbatore - Thrissur - Kochi). I intend to travel towards the end of Jul 2018. Thanks!
All fantastic roads throughout, except for an 18km stretch between Alathur and Mannuthy (between Palakkad and Thrissur) where a pair of tunnels are being constructed to replace the present road.

Just before Salem bypass starts, there is a flyover being constructed. All the remaining flyovers on the bypass have been opened already.

Dual carriageway throughout except the aforementioned 18km stretch and the 28km Coimbatore bypass.

Bangalore-Krishnagiri, Chengapalli-Coimbatore and some sections between Alathur and Thrissur are 6 lane. Rest all are 4 lane (excluding the single carriageway sections).

Numerous signals once you enter Kerala. From Angamaly to Kochi it is only as good as a city road and treat it as such.

Bangalore (Silk Board) - Kochi (Edapally) is about 560 km.
Old 12th July 2018, 12:30   #11409
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_ak View Post
Did this route on 27-Jun, and it was all good except Kuthiran.
Repsol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2018, 19:04   #11410
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Just before Salem bypass starts, there is a flyover being constructed. All the remaining flyovers on the bypass have been opened already.
there is a special place reserved in hell, for the team who did the salem flyovers :
1. Shoulder for 2 wheeler absent
2. expansion joints are pathetic. How can somebody approve a road with frequent 2-inch level differences ? How hard was it to smooth it out before opening the flyover for traffic ?
venkyhere is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th July 2018, 21:48   #11411
BHPian

A follow up on the Kuthiran section, today’s newspaper informed that there has been some landslides and in view of this traffic pile up resulting in serious delays. Therefore, it would be better to re-route via Alathur-Chellakara-Wadkancherry-Trichur. There has been heavy rains for last few days and general traffic congestion is common.
Old 12th July 2018, 23:02   #11412
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
1. Shoulder for 2 wheeler absent
2. expansion joints are pathetic.
And 3. They are only 2 lanes each way. Generally the GQ/NS Corridor flyovers are 3 lanes each way, which allows painless future widening.

There are few other stretches down south that are crying for widening more than Krishnagiri-Salem.

I also feel that the lanes are narrower than the regulation 3.5m.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2018, 10:39   #11413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky@home View Post
A follow up on the Kuthiran section, today’s newspaper informed that there has been some landslides and in view of this traffic pile up resulting in serious delays. Therefore, it would be better to re-route via Alathur-Chellakara-Wadkancherry-Trichur. There has been heavy rains for last few days and general traffic congestion is common.
I was welcomed by this traffic yesterday night near Vaniyampara post office, didn't check in Google as it was late in the night. I had to travel back and took Vaniyampara ~ Elanad ~ Chelakara ~ Wadakancherry route.
Old 13th July 2018, 11:07   #11414
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadmark View Post
I was welcomed by this traffic yesterday night near Vaniyampara post office, didn't check in Google as it was late in the night. I had to travel back and took Vaniyampara ~ Elanad ~ Chelakara ~ Wadakancherry route.
And what is the condition of roads on this route? It was ok type a few years back.
JohnnyBoss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2018, 11:21   #11415
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky@home View Post
A follow up on the Kuthiran section, today’s newspaper informed that there has been some landslides and in view of this traffic pile up resulting in serious delays.
Is there any update on when the tunnels will be opened?

Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks