Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2018, 15:08   #11446
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avimal View Post
what will be best route from Bangalore to Ashtamudi in the midst of recent heavy rain in Kerala? I wiil be driving this weekend to Ashtamudi, Alleppey and Munnar starting from Bangalore.
Ashtamudy to Alleppey you'll be using the NH which is fine but expect heavy traffic. Roads are fine with small sections of uneven roads. Alleppey to Munnar ( via muvattuppuzha ) is also good with some stretches of moderately bumpy stretches in between. All in all good roads though. And I don't know if you'll be using Bangalore- Krishnagiri- Salem- Coimbatore - Palakkad, but I have heard there is some minor issue on the kuthiran stretch . Can't comment on any issue before thrissur with surety. If using any other route please let me know.
Old 7th August 2018, 11:49   #11447
BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Can someone please recommend good Veg Restaurants between Trivandrum Airport and Kollam?
Old 7th August 2018, 12:06   #11448
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
if you're heading to Munnar town, you can still use the Bangalore-Avinashi bypass-Mangalam-Pollachi (bypass)-Udumalaipettai-Marayoor-Munnar.
I am travelling little beyond Munnar which is central to both Munnar and Idukki. So I guess I should take the route you suggest (Google too seem to suggest same).

Quote:
For your return from Idukki to Mysore you can do Idukki-Munnar-Marayoor-Udumalaipettai-Pollachi-Mangalam-Avinashi (retrace your onward route till here). Then, you can go via Bhavanisagar-Dhimbam-Hasanur-Chamarajanagar-Mysore
Sure, thank you!

Quote:
*Edit:as @binand mentioned do keep a watch on the rain situation. There was also some news about a possible release of water from Idukki dam and the authorities apparently do not have sufficient data/documents to see what could be the impact to the riparian regions due to various encroachments, etc. Scary actually!
Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Incredible amount of rain happening in that part of Kerala, with no respite. If possible, avoid. The Cheruthoni dam might be opened in the next few days and there is a tourist ban in certain panchayats. Right now no road in Kerala is in good condition I believe.
The recent reports seems to suggest situation has improved.
However, I am now concerned if the DMK patriarch's ill health will have an impact on my travel plans this weekend, as the majority of the route is via TN state.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 7th August 2018 at 12:30. Reason: Please avoid using bold fonts unless it is necessary. Thanks.
Old 7th August 2018, 13:51   #11449
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy07 View Post
Can someone please recommend good Veg Restaurants between Trivandrum Airport and Kollam?
Al Saj near Kazhakkootam is good. Rest rooms are a little off but we could manage. Couple of great restaurants have opened up on the airport - Kazhakkootam stretch. After you leave Kazhakkootam I haven't have ventured much, but Prarthana in Attingal or Doubloon in Kallambalam are the only places I can suggest with first hand experience.
Edit: I just saw Veg in your query now. I apologize. You'll have a lot of veg hotels on the airport - Kazhakkootam stretch. Also all restaurants I have named will serve veg food but avoid Al Saj if you're strict vegetarians. You'll also find Aariyas Veg restaurant in Kazhakootam and Kaniyapuram (main road side). Hope it helps !

Last edited by kraken : 7th August 2018 at 14:01. Reason: correction in answer.
kraken is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2018, 19:14   #11450
Senior - BHPian

[Spoilers below]

Saw the latest movie, Karwaan, today. A large part of the movie focuses on a road trip from Bangalore to Kochi undertaken by the three protagonists. Couldn't help noticing a few plot holes in this part.

1. The trip begins late in the evening of a working day leading to a long weekend. The original plan is to drive from Bangalore to Coimbatore. Yet, the lead pair travels to Mysore from Bangalore and not opt for the more straightforward route via Salem.

2. At Mysore, they get the news that they have to take a detour to Ooty. Which they proceed to do, and drive through thick forests overnight. No night travel ban for them. In fact one of the characters makes a fuss that going via Ooty is a 4-hour detour for them.

3. Does the Mysore-side approach road to Ooty go parallel to the toy train? I didn't think so.

I think all these could have been resolved if they had simply cut the reference to Mysore.

At one point in the second half there is a distance board that shows (only) Coimbatore, Mysore and Bangalore - in Malayalam. Where could this have been?
binand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2018, 20:48   #11451
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraken View Post
Ashtamudy to Alleppey you'll be using the NH which is fine but expect heavy traffic. Roads are fine with small sections of uneven roads. Alleppey to Munnar ( via muvattuppuzha ) is also good with some stretches of moderately bumpy stretches in between. All in all good roads though. And I don't know if you'll be using Bangalore- Krishnagiri- Salem- Coimbatore - Palakkad, but I have heard there is some minor issue on the kuthiran stretch . Can't comment on any issue before thrissur with surety. If using any other route please let me know.
Thanks. I will be taking same route Bangalore- Krishnagiri- Salem- Coimbatore- alleppey- ashtamudi. Most of the people seem to have suggested this route ( Google shows same as shortest in terms of time).
Old 8th August 2018, 07:31   #11452
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. I will be taking same route Bangalore- Krishnagiri- Salem- Coimbatore- alleppey- ashtamudi. Most of the people seem to have suggested this route ( Google shows same as shortest in terms of time).
I see today that Google is suggesting route via Madurai now. Not sure which one to take. Can someone help in deciding best route?
Old 8th August 2018, 08:55   #11453
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I see today that Google is suggesting route via Madurai now. Not sure which one to take. Can someone help in deciding best route?
When is your drive planned? Today's Google Maps timings would be skewed to be free (due to the death of the former CM last evening). Buses aren't running, Madras suburban trains aren't running. Today is not a normal day of traffic to base your drive route on.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 9th August 2018 at 12:04. Reason: Typo.
Old 8th August 2018, 15:34   #11454
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
When is your drive planned? Today's Google Maps timings would be skewed to be free (due to the death of the former CM last evening). Buses aren't running, Madras suburban trains aren't running. Today is not a normal day of traffic to base your drive route on.
I am starting tomorrow mid night. Will check Google map again before starting.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 9th August 2018 at 12:04. Reason: Quoted post edited.
Old 9th August 2018, 11:57   #11455
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraken View Post
Edit: I just saw Veg in your query now. I apologize. You'll have a lot of veg hotels on the airport - Kazhakkootam stretch. Also all restaurants I have named will serve veg food but avoid Al Saj if you're strict vegetarians. You'll also find Aariyas Veg restaurant in Kazhakootam and Kaniyapuram (main road side). Hope it helps !
Thanks, Are there any good restaurants on the likes of Suprabhatam (Neendakara) (or) Gowrishankar (Kollam) on the Trivandrum - Kollam stretch?

The reason I'm asking is I'll be landing at around 19:45 tomorrow. Its difficult to reach Kollam before 21:00 and I'm sure I can't starve until then

So, I was looking for inputs!
Old 9th August 2018, 18:00   #11456
BHPian

rain is causing havoc in idukki and nearby areas in Kerala. I am not sure know if it is ok to drive down there. Calling to hotels in desperation as I have to start my drive today late night. As per them roads are open but they can not confirm anything in future. Keeping fingers crossed.
Old 9th August 2018, 18:27   #11457
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I wiil be driving this weekend to Ashtamudi, Alleppey and Munnar starting from Bangalore.
Quote:
I am not sure know if it is ok to drive down there.
Munnar is probably best avoided. I read that the town is isolated from the rest of Kerala. All of Idukki district is facing heavy rainfall, waterlogging and landslides. Plus several dams have been opened that might result in many low-lying areas to be flooded.
Old 9th August 2018, 18:46   #11458
BHPian

Idukki dam has been opened and understand that peryiar has over flowed, so flooding can be expected along the river.
Old 9th August 2018, 19:32   #11459
BHPian

I had plans of visiting Idukki and Munnar over the weekend, should I reconsider ?

Last edited by Thilak29 : 9th August 2018 at 19:35.
Old 9th August 2018, 20:10   #11460
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
I had plans of visiting Idukki and Munnar over the weekend, should I reconsider ?
Definitely reconsider. Conditions are not at all suitable for tourists.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks