Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2018, 09:53   #11551
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAD View Post
Hi Everyone,

I am travelling to Neelakurunji Plantation Resort, about 20kms from Munnar, off NH 85 on Tue, 21st August from Bengaluru. The route I propose to take is via Salem- Dindigul- Theni to the resort.

Wanted to check if this route is affected by the current rains in Kerala. We are scheduled to visit Eravilulam National Park to view the once in 12 year blossoming of the Neelakurunji flower.

A quick reply clarifying if it is safe to travel from forum members in the know will be highly appreciated as I need to otherwise cancel my booking and make other plans.

Many thanks in advance.
Munnar and surrounding areas have been battered. The town is still cut off. Damage is extensive as per the various reports that have been coming in. Request you to cancel the plan. The last thing anyone wants there is lot of tourists hampering rescue and rehabilitation.
Old 18th August 2018, 10:34   #11552
AAD
BHPian

Thank you Sandsun7 and Flyer. Will cancel my plans. Thankfully I get full refund. Hope to visit that part of our beautiful country some other time.
Old 18th August 2018, 10:42   #11553
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer View Post
No fuel is available anywhere in Kerala. All petrol pumps are empty and closed now. Fuel trucks are unable to reach for distribution. Fuel is not even being made available for rescue operation!
Please don't spread this news, which will further aggravate the situation.
Old 18th August 2018, 10:46   #11554
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
It's a truth unfortunately. Refineries have enough for the coming days, but due to logistics issues in the flood scenario - fuel is running out at the bunks.

Parents had to visit four closed bunks and one with a queue of 1.5 hours to get fuel yesterday. Fuel was required because mom has a health condition which doesn't allow to walk much, else would have skipped it.
Old 18th August 2018, 10:55   #11555
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAD View Post
Hi Everyone,

I am travelling to Neelakurunji Plantation Resort, about 20kms from Munnar, off NH 85 on Tue, 21st August from Bengaluru. The route I propose to take is via Salem- Dindigul- Theni to the resort.

Wanted to check if this route is affected by the current rains in Kerala. We are scheduled to visit Eravilulam National Park to view the once in 12 year blossoming of the Neelakurunji flower.

A quick reply clarifying if it is safe to travel from forum members in the know will be highly appreciated as I need to otherwise cancel my booking and make other plans.

Many thanks in advance.
Mate, cancel without a second thought. I'm canceling my Oct bookings cos even if the rains subside, damage to roads, hotels and other spots are very extensive. Locals would need time, help and money to get things back to normal.
Old 18th August 2018, 11:37   #11556
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No fuel is available anywhere in Kerala. All petrol pumps are empty and closed now. Fuel trucks are unable to reach for distribution.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
It's a truth, unfortunately. Refineries have enough for the coming days, but due to logistics issues in the flood scenario - fuel is running out at the bunks.
Please avoid over generalisation. "Most of the petrol pumps.."

Few pumps near my place have run out of fuel. The remaining pumps are giving limited fuel at a time to customers.
ecenandu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th August 2018, 11:56   #11557
Distinguished - BHPian

Fuel pumps in and around my area are operating. It was crowded for 3 days. I would urge everyone that aint traveling not to fill the tanks. Give preference to the rescue vehicles (many are running out of fuel).
naveen.raju is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th August 2018, 11:59   #11558
Senior - BHPian

Guys, anybody has info on the route from Pathanamthitta to Kozhencherry, I'll be driving from Chennai to Pathanapuram by my Fiesta and then getting a friend's Thar from there to get to Kozhencherry. Any information on the route will be really helpful!

If anybody wants to send any relief stuff from Chennai, I can carry that as well!
Old 18th August 2018, 12:01   #11559
BHPian

Quote:
I don't understand how this fact will aggravate the situation. I am not spreading any false news. I'm talking from my own experience. People have to know and plan things accordingly. There are many who are travelling now or stuck on the way as they check this thread for travel updates/route clearance etc. They might not be aware of this.

On the other hand, arrangements has to be made to make fuel available for boats doing rescue operations. I'm sure this will be done with priority and would have been taken care of by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Please avoid over generalisation. "Most of the petrol pumps.."
"Most of the petrol pumps.." I mean 95% of them are out of stock now. That is the fact. Even you say only few pumps have petrol that too limited. What is few? Give me a number. In my place only 1 pump had diesel (no more petrol) today morning. That too after lot of searching.
_ _

Just got an update from a petrol pump owner that fuel will be made available to pumps south of Ernakulam (Kollam, Tvm etc.) by today evening.

Last edited by Flyer : 18th August 2018 at 12:08.
Flyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2018, 12:55   #11560
BHPian

Quote:
I don't understand how this fact will aggravate the situation. I am not spreading any false news. I'm talking from my own experience. People have to know and plan things accordingly. There are many who are travelling now or stuck on the way as they check this thread for travel updates/route clearance etc. They might not be aware of this.

On the other hand, arrangements has to be made to make fuel available for boats doing rescue operations. I'm sure this will be done with priority and would have been taken care of by now.

"Most of the petrol pumps.." I mean 95% of them are out of stock now. That is the fact. Even you say only few pumps have petrol that too limited. What is few? Give me a number. In my place only 1 pump had diesel (no more petrol) today morning. That too after lot of searching.
_ _

Just got an update from a petrol pump owner that fuel will be made available to pumps south of Ernakulam (Kollam, Tvm etc.) by today evening.
Spreading news like:
Quote:
No fuel is available anywhere in Kerala. All petrol pumps are empty and closed now.
is indeed factually incorrect. People are already under distress and these kind of messages are only causing more trouble.

Last edited by bejoy : 18th August 2018 at 12:57.
bejoy is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 18th August 2018, 13:56   #11561
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Any info on roads out of Trivandrum to Nagercoil/Aralvaimozhi?
Road is fine except for the regular road blocks due to flyover construction works
mallumowgli is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th August 2018, 16:19   #11562
Senior - BHPian

Here's a statement from BPCL that says there's no need to worry about fuel scarcity in Kerala:

https://www.thehindu.com/news/nation...le24716871.ece

Quote:
A BPCL official said that there is a small regulation in Thrissur district was brought in as the road to the district is cut-off at Aluva on the Kochi side and Kudiran on the Palakkad side.
However, I heard from a few who'd been to that side that Kuthiran is open for traffic albeit selectively.

A general request: Please think twice before posting warnings or SOS messages (not only on T-BHP, but on social media as well) - a forwarded message or image need not be authentic, current or genuine. It's always better to go by official statements - the authorities have the mechanism to see the big picture and pass on information. "Too many cooks spoil the broth". Thank you

Last edited by silversteed : 18th August 2018 at 16:22.
silversteed is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th August 2018, 17:27   #11563
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Guys, anybody has info on the route from Pathanamthitta to Kozhencherry, I'll be driving from Chennai to Pathanapuram by my Fiesta and then getting a friend's Thar from there to get to Kozhencherry. Any information on the route will be really helpful!

If anybody wants to send any relief stuff from Chennai, I can carry that as well!
Kozhenchery Pathanamthitta road is unaffected and safe. I've been driving to and fro Pathanamthitta from kozhenchery. If anyone needs medicines I can help. If you can pass info.
Old 18th August 2018, 18:25   #11564
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Any info on roads out of Trivandrum to Nagercoil/Aralvaimozhi?
Trivandrum - Nagercoil is open minus the Marthandam and Parvathipuram flyover work. Nagercoil - Aralvaimozhi is not in a great condition.
Old 18th August 2018, 18:25   #11565
BHPian

Drove today from Kanjikode to Alathur on NH 544. Refueled from Kanjikode. They had just received a tanker load of fuel. Didn't notice any fuel shortage on the highway.

However the situation is a bit different in interior regions. In Kollengode, muthalamada the petrol pumps are shut down. There is fuel shortage in many other interior areas.

On a positive note saw a convoy of trucks from different parts of Tamil nadu heading towards Palakkad with essential supplies for the flood victims. Hope the situation improves soon.
i20ian is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks