Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2018, 22:21   #11566
AAD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinothAJ View Post
Mate, cancel without a second thought. I'm canceling my Oct bookings cos even if the rains subside, damage to roads, hotels and other spots are very extensive. Locals would need time, help and money to get things back to normal.

Thanks VinothAJ. I already cancelled my trip and made alternate booking in the Nilgiris.

And not surprisingly it looks like all the cancellations from Kerala are heading that way. While I was making online booking for the same property from several different booking sites, I could see the rooms disappear. I quickly booked one for myself and immediately all the other booking sites immediately reported that property to be sold out. Phew
Old 19th August 2018, 11:25   #11567
BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAD View Post
Thanks VinothAJ. I already cancelled my trip and made alternate booking in the Nilgiris.

And not surprisingly it looks like all the cancellations from Kerala are heading that way. While I was making online booking for the same property from several different booking sites, I could see the rooms disappear. I quickly booked one for myself and immediately all the other booking sites immediately reported that property to be sold out. Phew
which road would you be taking to Nilgiris (ooty?), please. also approx travel dates? Are you taking BLR-Mysore-Ooty road?
Old 19th August 2018, 13:49   #11568
BHPian

Any latest news on Kuthiran as of today? Planning to travel to Ernakulam from Bangalore on Tuesday. Will be carrying some material for flood relief as well.

As of now (1:45PM) google maps shows no road closure at kuthiran, but shows closure at many places along the route, till Chalakudy. Surprisingly, the worst affected areas - Chalakudy and Aluva seems clear as per maps. Does anyone know the ground reality please?
Old 19th August 2018, 15:23   #11569
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZENnist View Post
Any latest news on Kuthiran as of today? Planning to travel to Ernakulam from Bangalore on Tuesday. Will be carrying some material for flood relief as well.
Does anyone know the ground reality please?
Kuthiran is open but single lane traffic is being allowed. Expect some delay but you can cross Kuthiran.

PS: am at Palakkad now for relief work. So this is not WhatsApp / unverified info but what I got from the team involved with transportation.

Last edited by HappyWheels : 19th August 2018 at 15:25.
HappyWheels is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th August 2018, 17:29   #11570
BHPian

Quote:

As of now (1:45PM) google maps shows no road closure at kuthiran, but shows closure at many places along the route, till Chalakudy. Surprisingly, the worst affected areas - Chalakudy and Aluva seems clear as per maps. Does anyone know the ground reality please?
I was with family in Perumbavoor since Wednesday last week. Drove back to Bangalore this morning after helping the Perumbavoor relief camp, that’s housing people from badly affected Chalakudy and Kalady apart from the ones in Perumbavoor, the last couple of days.

The water on the highway 544 at Chalakudy and Kalady has completely receded. Aluva is clear too. I recommend taking the Private Bus route to Aluva from Perumbavoor or driving straight to Aluva from Angamaly if you don’t have to touch Kalady/Perumbavoor. The highway has, surprisingly, held up pretty well considering the battering it faced. Few broken patches. You’ll find road closures on service roads but the highway is clear with a couple of diversions because of ongoing work.

I gave Kuthiran a miss and took an alternate root via Wadakkanchery and Alathur. Here’s the route that I took: https://goo.gl/maps/4z9WkxXS5hP2

Started at 4:30am and reached Bangalore at 1:30pm. You may want to follow this route.

Last edited by achyu : 19th August 2018 at 17:49.
achyu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th August 2018, 17:37   #11571
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by achyu View Post
I gave Kuthiran a miss and took an alternate root via Wadakkanchery and Alathur. Here’s the route that I took: https://goo.gl/maps/4z9WkxXS5hP2
Hi,
Hows the road condition on the wadakkancherry,alathur route?
Also, is the travel distance more in this route compared to Kuthiran?
Old 19th August 2018, 17:48   #11572
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshiqueS View Post
Hi,
Hows the road condition on the wadakkancherry,alathur route?
Also, is the travel distance more in this route compared to Kuthiran?
It’s not great but not too bad either. There are a few patches here and there but nothing threatening. Considering the delay you are likely to face at Kuthiran, this is a great alternative. It’s a little longer but I’m sure travellers will get to their destinations faster. Kuthiran is now narrower than what is was before and traffic is slow moving. I’m surprised that more people aren’t using the Wadakkanchery route.
achyu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2018, 17:58   #11573
BHPian

Quote:

Plz don't depend on Google maps as it not updated in time. While returning from Munnar to Bangalore, it was showing all blue but locals told me that Munnar main road is flooded. I found it correct. Luckily resort owner came and helped me to take small alternate roads till everything was clear towards mayooor. Check with local people is best bet in my opinion.
Old 19th August 2018, 18:52   #11574
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by achyu View Post

Started at 4:30am and reached Bangalore at 1:30pm. You may want to follow this route.
Thank you for the route map. i was considering the same route to avoid kuthiran.
Old 19th August 2018, 18:55   #11575
AAD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sknair View Post
which road would you be taking to Nilgiris (ooty?), please. also approx travel dates? Are you taking BLR-Mysore-Ooty road?

I will be taking the Blr-Mysore-Masinagudi road to go to the resort. Checked with the resort and they said the road is open.
Old 19th August 2018, 21:49   #11576
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAD View Post
I will be taking the Blr-Mysore-Masinagudi road to go to the resort. Checked with the resort and they said the road is open.
Thanks.
btw. I had originally a booking in Masinagudi next week, the resort called me last week and said they cancelled all the bookings based on a supreme court order to shut down the resorts in the area (27 of them).
https://www.ndtv.com/tamil-nadu-news...l-nadu-1898108

please double check your booking.

Meanwhile, the ever busy Mysuru-Nanjangud road which forms part of Bengaluru-Masinagudi-Ooty National Highway (NH-766), was partially opened for vehicular movement this morning, with the authorities opening one side of the road.
https://starofmysore.com/nanjangud-l...k-to-normalcy/

Last edited by sknair : 19th August 2018 at 21:58.
Old 20th August 2018, 06:59   #11577
AAD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sknair View Post
I had originally a booking in Masinagudi next week, the resort called me last week and said they cancelled all the bookings based on a supreme court order to shut down the resorts in the area (27 of them).

Thanks for the info about the road and the resorts. Fortunately I am not staying in Masinagudi so all good on that front.

Last edited by ampere : 20th August 2018 at 07:31. Reason: Compacted quoted post
Old 20th August 2018, 11:15   #11578
BANNED

Planning to drive to Kottayam from Bangalore. Which route is better. Is Theni, Kumali, Kottayam open ?
Old 20th August 2018, 12:48   #11579
BHPian

I think the Theni, Kumali road is open. You will be avoiding the flood affected Palakkad-Angamali-Muvattupuzha stretch.
Old 20th August 2018, 13:05   #11580

Quote:
Originally Posted by swageo View Post
Planning to drive to Kottayam from Bangalore. Which route is better. Is Theni, Kumali, Kottayam open ?
Not sure if it helps - Manorama is providing current updates on Kerala road conditions and blockages here:

https://specials.manoramaonline.com/...ion/index.html

This is a Malayalam edition though.
Thunderbird is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed