Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2018, 16:51   #11596
BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by i20ian View Post
Planning to drive down to Kozhikode this Friday from Palakkad. Any updates on the road conditions? Also which is the best route to take?
I drove to Kozhikkode from Bangalore via Coimbatore-Palakkad-Perinthalmanna-Angadippuram-Kottakkal on 15th August and returned on 19th August. Had to take the Angadippuram-Kottakkal route as the Kondotty route was flooded. The roads from Palakkad till Thiruvazhiyode (don't remember exactly) is in shambles (read - horrible). After that, it's fine. The route via Kondotty is open now and the condition seems to be OK. I had to go till Calicut University campus and route via Kottkkal and further worked fine for me.

Last edited by A350XWB : 21st August 2018 at 16:55.
A350XWB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2018, 17:32   #11597
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaganm View Post
I have cancelled my trip to Munnar and the resort club Mahindra is also advising all the members to change their plan. I was disappointed initially as we had planned this trip for a long time but on reflection, there will not be too much to see as lot of places may be inaccessible and we tourists will only get in the way of things getting back to normal
Munnar has been completely disconnected from rest of the world for a few days. As per news reports, all roads to munnar were blocked due to multiple landslides, no electricity, no network coverage and no relief or food supply were able to reach there. Not sure about current situation though. Be glad that you cancelled the trip.
Midas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2018, 18:43   #11598
BHPian

Travelling to Thrissur from Bangalore tomorrow (early) morning. Will take Kuthiran / Alathur - Chelakkara route depending on the traffic condition at that point of time.
Old 21st August 2018, 22:43   #11599
Senior - BHPian

Planning to drive down to Thrissur day after tomorrow. Planning to stay on the NH47 till the Alathur turn-off and then proceed via Chelakkara > Wadakancherry > Thrissur.

If anyone is passing through this route, please provide an update on the road condition. Much appreciated.
Old 22nd August 2018, 06:40   #11600
BHPian

Travelled by bus on Monday 20th night by bus. It took close to an hour to cross Kuthiran. The road was pretty uneven and one-way not too far after the toll gate. Now on my way back for day time travel. In case of any updates please let me know. Will update the status after I cross.
Old 22nd August 2018, 07:12   #11601
BHPian

https://www.business-standard.com/ar...2200008_1.html

Toll waived off for 3 plazas in Kerala.
Those who have Fastag, stay away from the lane.

Last edited by bejoy : 22nd August 2018 at 07:14.
bejoy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2018, 14:53   #11602
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
Planning to drive down to Thrissur day after tomorrow. Planning to stay on the NH47 till the Alathur turn-off and then proceed via Chelakkara > Wadakancherry > Thrissur.

If anyone is passing through this route, please provide an update on the road condition. Much appreciated.
I did Bangalore Thrissur (Irinjalakuda) today. Took Alathur - Chelakkara - Wadakkanchery route. Roads are ok.

No traffic on this diversion till Wadakkanchery. Road condition / traffic in and around Wadakkanchery is bad. Some stretch, you have to literally crawl in 1st gear. ( But, it's not much. May be less than half a KM).

Kuthiran was avoided because it was showing a traffic delay of 40 minutes. Also my friend who travelled by bus yesterday said the traffic is very slow between Vadakkumchery - Thrissur.

Started 4AM. Reached home 1PM with a breakfast break at Salem Saravanabhavan.
522 KM door to door.
Old 22nd August 2018, 15:19   #11603
BHPian

Friends,

This is my situation. I booked a holiday to Munnar, Kerala from Sept 13th to Sept 16th. I booked flight from Mumbai to Kochi. From Kochi there is a 4 hour drive to Munnar. The deluge in Kerala has taken a heavy toll of the infrastructure there. From what I hear and read, many roads to Munnar is still not motor-able. I am not sure if the roads will be repaired properly before Sept 13th. Even if we manage to reach, there is possibility of water borne diseases spreading and I don;t want to be in the midst of that.

I approached the airline for cancellation but they have waiver only till Aug 26th. The cancellation charges are pretty steep so I will be losing considerable money if I cancel with the existing policy. I booked the holiday through Make My trip. I have escalated to them to discuss with airline to consider cancellation waiver.

Anyone else in the same boat?? Any suggestions? Do you still think making a trip to Munnar at that time should be okay? We are a family of four with a 11 year old included.
Old 22nd August 2018, 16:59   #11604
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree73 View Post
I did Bangalore Thrissur (Irinjalakuda) today. Took Alathur - Chelakkara - Wadakkanchery route. Roads are ok.

No traffic on this diversion till Wadakkanchery. Road condition / traffic in and around Wadakkanchery is bad. Some stretch, you have to literally crawl in 1st gear. ( But, it's not much. May be less than half a KM).

Kuthiran was avoided because it was showing a traffic delay of 40 minutes. Also my friend who travelled by bus yesterday said the traffic is very slow between Vadakkumchery - Thrissur.

Started 4AM. Reached home 1PM with a breakfast break at Salem Saravanabhavan.
522 KM door to door.

Thank you Sree! Appreciate your help. I'll be taking the same route home tomorrow.
Old 22nd August 2018, 19:27   #11605
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi30 View Post
Friends,

Do you still think making a trip to Munnar at that time should be okay? We are a family of four with a 11 year old included.
with just 20 days to go, may be not a good idea to proceed with the trip. Plenty of road blockages, lot of damage in the town, accessibility issues due to that etc. A peaceful holiday would not be guaranteed under the circumstances.
sandsun7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2018, 19:43   #11606
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Do you still think making a trip to Munnar at that time should be okay? We are a family of four with a 11 year old included.
I echo what sandsun7 said.

IANAM (I am not a meteorologist), but the rains should have stopped by then. So that direct risk is not a problem. However, Munnar will be recovering and rebuilding at that time, and you may not get a "normal" experience - you might have limitations on the menu, power cuts, etc. Not to mention that the tourist aspect of Munnar will have also taken a hammering, so it might not be as picturesque as it would have otherwise been. (Based on my experience growing up in the Nilgiris).

So, if you view your holiday as a "rough it out" adventure, you might be fine (take water purification tablets, etc.), but I would recommend cancelling, especially with kid(s) in the picture. In your shoes, given my cautious mentality, I'd cancel.
arunphilip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2018, 21:56   #11607
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LobsterB View Post
Now on my way back for day time travel. In case of any updates please let me know. Will update the status after I cross.
Took Kuthiran itself on the way back as Google was showing only +14min around 11am. The 4km Kuthiran stretch from Chuvannamannu to Vaniampara was the major problem in the whole route. Also all the temp roads around the flyover construction at Pattikad and Mudikode was in pretty bad shape as well. Btw, there was road repair for flood water damage at Chalakudy today. Should be over by now.

Btw, overall the road was pretty much doable on any four wheeler (btw, I was on my Aria). Need to worry about traffic delays only.
Old 23rd August 2018, 13:59   #11608
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
Those who have Fastag, stay away from the lane.
No need of staying away from the Fastag lane. At the first toll booth in Kerala when we travel from Coimbatore, I went through the Fastag lane nothing was charged. There was a notice saying that the toll collection is suspended temporarily. I think the automatic readout was disabled in the toll booth.
A350XWB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2018, 17:35   #11609
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Friends,

This is my situation. I booked a holiday to Munnar, Kerala from Sept 13th to Sept 16th. .
See if a postponement or re-booking can be arranged, if not wait for another week and check with the resorts on how the conditions are. They would be the right people to guide you on reality, especially the last mile connectivity.

As much as we worry about the conditions and our safety, there is a softer angle of getting the state back on it's feet. And tourism is a huge revenue for kerala, if everyone backs out (esp if conditions are ok on ground) it will again hamper the economy of the region.
Jaggu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2018, 20:59   #11610
Senior - BHPian

Taking Self Drive Rental Cars to Kerala

Don't know if this has been discussed in TBHP threads or not, but I learned this the hard way
  1. Self Drive Rental Cars going in to Kerala require an Annual Permit Fee Paid Receipt in the Car
  2. The Self Drive Cars need to have the Registration Number Displayed on the sides.

I had booked a Self Drive Rental Car for couple of days, from Bangalore. I was advised on booking confirmation that the Rental Company will not reimburse interstate permit charges or taxes.

Since I was planing to go to Kerala I got in touch with the company and told them that I will be taking the car to Kerala and what are the Tax Permit situation there.

I was told (by the Rental Agent of the ReputedRental Company) that I will have to pay the weekly permit fee which will amount to INR 200 aproximately and I have to approach the RTO Counter at the checkpost on Kerala State Border to pay the same. I was warned that I should be definitely doing this at the first Kerala RTO counter enroute.

I thought it was quiet OK and comparable with the Tax Fees I had paid whilst traveling between Delhi and UP/Haryana/Rajsthan etc.

Dutifully I approached the RTO Counter at the Checkpost at Iritty in the Virajpet - Thalassery Road

I was informed by a very friendly AMVI in Charge there that I need to pay the Annual Tax and there is no provision to pay any pro-rata for the period I was going to be in the state and since the vehicle I was having did not have a side Registration Display, a fine also will have to be paid.

Annual Permit Fee - INR 7,200.00
Fines for the non display INR 800.00
Total INR 8,000/-
(not sure if this was the exact breakup or not as the receipt was showing 7,700+ Compunding Fee 200+ Cess of 100)

That was a shocker. I got in touch with Rental Company and they had a talk with the MVI and were advised that this is a Change of Rules and if the owners of the vehicle were not aware, then that is there problem.

He also advised the owners that he will be/can seize the vehicle as it was technically in the state without a Valid Permit and Incorrect Registration number display

As per my understanding in discussing the issue with RTO/MVI is that the Rental Guys have cars that have Kerala RTO Permit fees paid and they charge and additional fee for such cars when it is rented for trips to Kerala.

Thought I should share this information for the benefit of others who are planing such trips.

Best Regards & Drive Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed