Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2018, 20:13   #11701
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

https://www.thenewsminute.com/articl...mpression=true

Please avoid travel to Munnar over the weekend.
Old 8th October 2018, 13:48   #11702
Senior - BHPian

Read that filling of potholse is completed in the Kuthiran stretch. I am planning to drive through this leg next week, looking for a firsthand report to decide between taking the Chelakkara route.
Old 8th October 2018, 21:26   #11703
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
Read that filling of potholse is completed in the Kuthiran stretch.
Not first hand report, however a friend traveled through Kuthiran over weekend and says that roads are patched. No need to worry.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2018, 22:51   #11704
BHPian

Quote:
Read that filling of potholse is completed in the Kuthiran stretch. I am planning to drive through this leg next week, looking for a firsthand report to decide between taking the Chelakkara route.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Not first hand report, however a friend traveled through Kuthiran over weekend and says that roads are patched. No need to worry.
I did that today and all potholes are filled, doesn't make sense to take Chelakkara stretch unless Google shows any red band over Kuthiran for other uncertainties.

Saw this just now, not sure about the authenticity though, be cautious if driving at night.

Since the video is in Malayalam the essence of it is about a robbery that had happened on 6th October near Radisson Blu hotel (Salem). 9 folks in 4 bikes waylaid and fled with all belongings, missed the car key during the commotion else they would have taken the vehicle too.

Cheers!

Last edited by treadmark : 8th October 2018 at 23:00. Reason: Added Youtube link
treadmark is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2018, 10:06   #11705
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadmark View Post
I did that today and all potholes are filled, doesn't make sense to take Chelakkara stretch unless Google shows any red band over Kuthiran for other uncertainties.

Saw this just now, not sure about the authenticity though, be cautious if driving at night.

Since the video is in Malayalam the essence of it is about a robbery that had happened on 6th October near Radisson Blu hotel (Salem). 9 folks in 4 bikes waylaid and fled with all belongings, missed the car key during the commotion else they would have taken the vehicle too.

Cheers!
Thanks. I will stick to Kuthiran unless Google paints the stretch in deep red.

That video looks genuine and it is scary. Though we have heard of many such incidents on the Mysore Kozhikode stretch, Salem Coimbatore was supposedly safe and the traffic is not that thin even during the night.

I generally try to start around 3pm from Bangalore, this helps to avoid a very early morning start and the morning rush on the roads and toll-plazas during the long weekends and reach home before midnight to catch some good sleep. This incident will make me more careful while taking a break or even rethink on the night travels.

Last edited by moralfibre : 9th October 2018 at 12:12. Reason: Removing embedded video from quoted post.
Old 9th October 2018, 10:25   #11706
BHPian

Quote:
Kuthiran route is fully patched up now and some stretches have been fully tarred. Had been through this route last week. No issues overall with this route. Definitely much better than Chelakkara route.
i20ian is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th October 2018, 10:27   #11707
BHPian

Quote:
That video looks genuine and it is scary. Though we have heard of many such incidents on the Mysore Kozhikode stretch, Salem Coimbatore was supposedly safe and the traffic is not that thin even during the night.
The reason I couldn't digest everything is that.
  • The spot he mentioned should be somewhere near SAIL junction on the highway, which is always crowded anytime I had crossed.
  • Imagine 9 folks with a long sickle at a crowded highway which is well lit for the entire stretch
  • On a run from Bangalore ~ Coimbatore, why would you even stop around that junction to pee, it's the bad choice even from the privacy aspect
  • Can't rule out the chances of road rage which is prevalent.

That said still it is better any day to stop at toll booths, petrol bunks or any crowded restaurants which are plenty all along.

Cheers!
Old 9th October 2018, 11:29   #11708
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
  • The spot he mentioned should be somewhere near SAIL junction on the highway, which is always crowded anytime I had crossed.
  • Imagine 9 folks with a long sickle at a crowded highway which is well lit for the entire stretch
  • On a run from Bangalore ~ Coimbatore, why would you even stop around that junction to pee, it's the bad choice even from the privacy aspect
  • Can't rule out the chances of road rage which is prevalent.

That said still it is better any day to stop at toll booths, petrol bunks or any crowded restaurants which are plenty all along.

Cheers!
I couldn't find the exact time of the incident from that video. I guess even that stretch can get very deserted during the wee hours.

Road rage related incident is quite possible and I sincerely hope that is the truth. And I don't recollect a media report on this incident. If it is planned robbery, we may hear more such incidents till the culprits are nabbed.
Old 9th October 2018, 13:27   #11709
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Saw this just now, not sure about the authenticity though, be cautious if driving at night.... it is about a robbery that had happened on 6th October near Radisson Blu hotel (Salem). 9 folks in 4 bikes waylaid and fled with all belongings, missed the car key during the commotion else they would have taken the vehicle too.
Quote:
Though we have heard of many such incidents on the Mysore Kozhikode stretch, Salem Coimbatore was supposedly safe and the traffic is not that thin even during the night.
I've heard another similar story, but from Chavadi area, between Coimbatore and Walayar. That stretch can get desolate in the odd hours, and there's a greater chance of getting mugged here than the Salem area. But, so far I have not come across any news item or verified account of such an incident.
Quote:
+1

Quote:
This is the most sensible thing to do
Old 9th October 2018, 14:29   #11710
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
I've heard another similar story, but from Chavadi area, between Coimbatore and Walayar. That stretch can get desolate in the odd hours, and there's a greater chance of getting mugged here than the Salem area. But, so far I have not come across any news item or verified account of such an incident.
I have a vague memory of hearing/reading about a horrific incident of accident victims being murdered and looted in the Chavady area, this was in the late 80's or early 90's.

Yes, this stretch till Walayar can be risky during the odd hours, it is deserted except for the border check-posts and police outposts.
Old 9th October 2018, 14:57   #11711
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post

Quote:
I have a vague memory of hearing/reading about a horrific incident of accident victims being murdered and looted in the Chavady area, this was in the late 80's or early 90's.

Not any more with the byepass from Amrita College even that stretch is safe nowadays.

Heard from my Mom, during late 70's my grandfather was driving down from Pykara (Ooty) to Thrissur and met with an accident head on with one of those mammoth Tamarind trees on either side. While he was trapped locals looted him before some good soul came for rescue.
So Chavady is like that for long

Cheers!
Old 9th October 2018, 16:40   #11712

I am planning to drive to Kottayam coming weekend. My first preference is to go via Salem - Kumali - Kottayam route. Any known issues/challenges in this route after the recent rain and flood situations ? Anybody has travelled in this route recently?
Old 10th October 2018, 17:10   #11713
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaisonjose View Post
I am planning to drive to Kottayam coming weekend. My first preference is to go via Salem - Kumali - Kottayam route. Any known issues/challenges in this route after the recent rain and flood situations ? Anybody has travelled in this route recently?
It seems the Cumbum-Kumily stretch is closed and you will need to go via Cumbum Mettu. See the post below :

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ml#post4473890 (Current road condition from Madurai to Kumily/ Thekkady?)
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2018, 21:52   #11714
BHPian

Hello guys

How’s the post flood situation at Nadukani - Manjeri route? I’m planning Blore - Malappuram this weeekend. 145mm sedan can handle? Or should I choose the Pajero?
Old 12th October 2018, 13:26   #11715

I am sure a lot of BHPians are driving to different part of Kerala being Dassara vacation. Kindly keep updating the road conditions here as it would help other friends following.

Most Viewed