Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2019, 18:50   #11926
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
Angamaly-Kalady-Perumbavoor-Muvattupuzha stretch is almost completely relaid now. Although, traffic condition hasn't improved much. Traffic blocks are common in Kalady, Perumbavoor and Muvattupuzha.
This route bypasses three of these four towns (coming from Thrissur side at Angamali and going towards Kothamangalam, Muvattupuzha and towns beyond):

https://goo.gl/maps/KvEpeMASveQ2

Take it when Google Maps shows bad jams in these towns.
binand is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 17th January 2019, 11:08   #11927
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
Angamaly-Kalady-Perumbavoor-Muvattupuzha stretch is almost completely relaid now. Although, traffic condition hasn't improved much. Traffic blocks are common in Kalady, Perumbavoor and Muvattupuzha. In Kalady and Perumbavoor traffic will not even crawl during peak traffic jam, as both are junctions without alternate routes - A dead lock. Traffic block in Muvattupuzha, at least see resolving, due to town traffic unit actively working. Government must seriously work out a plan to complete bypasses at Muvattupuzha, Perumbavoor and Kalady. I believe 4 laning just like Vyttila-Angamaly stretch of NH544 is needed in the stretch between Muvattupuzha-Angamaly also.
The Angamaly Perumbavoor route has become a nightmare to drive. Can't imagine what the authorities are thinking. There is no guarantee when you will reach the other end when you start from one, even though the distance is just 15 kms. What's worse, the Kalady bridge isn't the only choke point now. Perumbavoor town, Oushadi junction, Vallom bridge junction, Kalady bridge, Kalady bus stand and Angamaly (LF junction) all put together ensure than you have a harrowing time navigating this stretch.

Four laning of the Angamaly - Perumbavoor route is long past its due. Its really sad to see that the authorities have not even started to think in that direction. These clowns want to four lane the Nayathode Jn to airport route that hardly sees any traffic. Absolute lack of direction on what work needs to be prioritized. Kalady and Perumbavoor are bursting at the seams due to lack of a flyover at the important junctions. I used to due Perumbavoor - Angamaly in 20 minutes in my humble Maruti 800 way back in 2000. Today you can't do it in 20 minutes even with a Lamborghini.
longhorn is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th January 2019, 11:54   #11928
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
Its really sad to see that the authorities have not even started to think in that direction.
I'm also really sad how our political system works for themselves alone. Planning starts only after a situation has worsened; and by the time the work finishes, the planned capacity would have been breached long ago.

Going to airport, I was stuck at Muvatupuzha town on monday 9 pm in the night for more than half an hour. Another half hour before Kalady due to the ongoing tarring. Luckily it was for a pick up, not to catch a flight or a drop off.
Old 17th January 2019, 13:46   #11929
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Four laning of the Angamaly - Perumbavoor route is long past its due.
Given that the Kollam bypass took 43 years as per press reports, I guess my grandchildren might be able to drive on this "four lane" road you propose. :-)

Here is how it will play out:

1. Somebody would say the route needs to be widened. Someone else who can take things forward (perhaps the local MLA) will take notice.
2. Some pittance will be mentioned in the budget. This will be barely sufficient to setup a two-person office in the local administrative office.
3. Few years on, said two-person office will come up with a paper saying yes, a four-lane road is a good thing to have.
4. Surveying will start. Immediately an action council will be formed. Said council will accuse the tehsildar/collector/other responsible officer of modifying alignment to suit the whims of local bigwigs.
5. Survey team will be gheraoed or otherwise prevented from doing their work. Cops will turn up. Lathi charge will ensue.
6. There will be at least one state-wide bandh/hartal. Several local ones too.
7. High court will stay all surveying works till the matter is resolved.
8. Some years later, High court will allow surveying work to proceed. By this time action council members would have gone off to "gulf".
9. Sometimes 5-8 will continue in a loop. Otherwise, a land acquisition plan will be formulated, invariably with inadequate compensation to be paid out.
10. Land owners will approach court complaining about inadequate compensation.
11. Genuine land deals will come to a standstill. Only land sharks will deal during this time accumulating large land banks at a fraction of the market price.
12. An action council (usually one with a different political affiliation) will start a campaign to reduce the road width from 30m to 15m. They will allege a large land scam. "30m is good for North India where these is enough free space, but in Kerala we need only 15m".
13. A vigilance enquiry will be ordered.
14. Many years later, a vigilance report will be filed. It will usually absolve everyone, and hence will be challenged in court.
15. Court will ask vigilance to re-do the enquiry. By this time power equations would have changed, so the new enquiry will find a few people guilty.
16. These people will allege political motives and approach court to squash vigilance proceedings.
17. A few years on, those named in the report might or might not escape. But contract might be ready for award. By this time though, the project would be a hot potato nobody in the administration would want to touch.
18. A socio-cultural organisation will notice that there is toll collection planned. Another action committee will be formed to oppose the toll plans.
19. Contract will be awarded to the bidder who has greased the most palms. He will take it up but will soon find excuses for not executing the project (lack of labour or raw material, high costs, hot summer, heavy rains, Mangalyaan project, run on the US dollar...)
20. After a few years, everyone's favourite project executors, ULCCS will take over the project. They will complete it in record time.
21. The completed road will stay unopened and unavailable till some worthy finds enough free time to inaugurate it.
binand is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 17th January 2019, 15:53   #11930
Senior - BHPian

43 years to build a single lane Kollam byepass, and they have the audacity to shoot videos using drones and highlight this crap of a road (just look at the narrow width and how it meanders). A byepass needs to be a straight road as far as possible with gentle curves. .I'm sure you will end up with potholes dime a dozen by the end of the next monsoon season.
longhorn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2019, 16:40   #11931
Senior - BHPian

Kalady-Perumbavoor stretch is unpredictable during both the day and night time. While the re-tarring was going on, I had to take the alternate route through Kanjoor-Marampally-Perumbavoor to reach Muvattupuzha from airport. It is a narrow road in most parts until we reach Marampally.

Some good news after re-laid Angamaly-Muvattupuzha MC road route: The big speed breakers near Keezhillam temple are all removed!. I find that, they tarred the maximum possible width especially after Keezhillam till Perumbavoor. There are now 2 or 3 speed radar's installed in the Muvattupuzha-Perumbavur sector.
--

We cannot expect good highways or bypasses to finish in Kerala, especially Ernakulam district now. Land acquisition is impossible now. I read proposed Thankalam(Kothamangalam)-Kakkanad-Ernakulam 4 lane highway is dropped now. This road was supposedly very strategic (Kochi-Munnar will be a lot faster had this project took off) that connects Kothamangalam to Ernakulam city centre in less than 40kms through Airapuram-Kizhakkambalam-Kakkanad-Vennala. A reduction of 15kms or more. Same goes with other proposals like an outer ring road proposed by NHAI from Angamaly passing through Kalady-Puthenkurish to reach Aroor. No new roads. Another proposal in the state budget was Thodupuzha-Ernakulam greenfield highway which promises connecting Thodupuzha, an aspiring highland city to Kochi in less than 50kms. No new developments. Thrissur district has now better roads compared to Ernakulam.
Old 18th January 2019, 22:00   #11932
BHPian

Quote:
(just look at the narrow width and how it meanders)... A byepass needs to be a straight road as far as possible with gentle curves.
Agree about the narrow width. But the map of the Kollam byepass road does not indicate any unnecessary meandering. Pic Courtesy: Wikipedia.
Attached Thumbnails
All Roads to Kerala-map_of_kollam_bypass.jpg  

Old 19th January 2019, 10:14   #11933
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorsan View Post
Agree about the narrow width. But the map of the Kollam byepass road does not indicate any unnecessary meandering. Pic Courtesy: Wikipedia.
Take a look at this.
Attached Thumbnails
All Roads to Kerala-kollambypass.1547485200.jpg  

longhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2019, 11:58   #11934
BHPian

Hello Bhpians, I wanted to pick your brains on something.
I am planning a road trip from Cochin to Goa with my family. I'll be undertaking this trip only in April, but being the OCD ridden mess I am, I keep worrying about the route I have to take & places I have to stay during the trip.
Please help me in deciding a route.
Google maps seem to favor the Kunnamkulam-Thalassery-Kannur-Mangalore-Udupi-Murudeshwar-Karwar route. I have only been upto Kannur on this stretch and I have felt that the roads a little narrow and traffic a little intense for me. However I've braced myself to drive through this one way as my dad has been telling us it is a really scenic route. And for the return I've thought of going via the Dharwad-Davengere-Tumkur-Coimbatore- Palakkad route. My queries are
1:Any changes in the routes I mentioned to make the journey better.
2:On the onward journey, where should I spend the night and then resume the journey to safely reach Goa (preferably Palolem or Colva).
3: Same thing for the return journey.

I know I sound like I have no idea, it's really because I don't .
Old 25th January 2019, 14:30   #11935
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraken View Post
I am planning a road trip from Cochin to Goa with my family. [...]Please help me in deciding a route.

Google maps seem to favor the Kunnamkulam-Thalassery-Kannur-Mangalore-Udupi-Murudeshwar-Karwar route.

And for the return I've thought of going via the Dharwad-Davengere-Tumkur-Coimbatore- Palakkad route.
Your destinations seem to be in South Goa. I'm not an expert by any stretch of imagination, but I'll start the discussion. You'll get more help in the Bangalore-Goa (Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries) thread.

First, you need to decide whether the route scenery matters to you or your priority is to reach Goa quickest and safest. If it is the former, I think your father is right; the coast-hugging route is very pleasant.

Second, it is not clear how you plan to go from Tumkur to Coimbatore. Google Maps seems to be suggesting the Dimbam ghat route; which has its share of concerns. The other options is via, but bypassing Bangalore but that has its own problems.

Third, Goa-Dharwad is probably via the Anmod ghat route; that I think is closed/partially open due to widening works. You might want to consider the Karwar-Yellapur-Bankapura route.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2019, 15:08   #11936
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post

Second, it is not clear how you plan to go from Tumkur to Coimbatore. Google Maps seems to be suggesting the Dimbam ghat route; which has its share of concerns. The other options is via, but bypassing Bangalore but that has its own problems.
I'm really sorry for being so vague about the route. The google map route was via Tumkur-Maddur-Kollegal-Hasanur-Annur-Karumathampatti-Coimbatore.
Thank you so much for your inputs. I'll surely check the thread you mentioned.
Also if you could tell me the issues regarding via Bangalore route, it would be nice, considering that I'm familiar with Hosur-Krishnagiri-Salem-L&t-Palakkad-Thrissur-Edappally route as I have driven the stretch.
Old 25th January 2019, 17:13   #11937
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraken View Post
Also if you could tell me the issues regarding via Bangalore route
The presence of Bangalore. On most days you'll be able to get onto the NICE Road (Bangalore's bypass road, so to speak) without issues but occasionally it could be a pain. Plus that road has a huge toll.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2019, 21:53   #11938
BHPian

I am planning to travel from Whitefield to Muvattupuzha/Kottayam this week. First time driving directly to Kerala.

Need some tips and recommendations from the experienced TeamBHP-ians here.

1. Route : Shall I just follow what Google suggests? (https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Maha...d9.8079628!3e0). Or, any changes recommended?

2. Realistic travel time? : By browsing through the last few pages, I am not getting a fair idea on how much travel time to expect. Google says 10.5 hrs. Adding couple of hours for refreshment breaks, it becomes 12.5 hrs. Is this what to realistically expect? Please note that I am a reasonably sedate driver and rarely only betters Google's estimates (<10% probability).

3. Refreshments : Any recommendations for breakfast/lunch/snacks breaks along the way? The preference is for hygiene and safety, given that I am going to travel with my family. I am sure this would be covered somewhere in this long thread. Couldn't locate it, hence asking. Please bear with me on this one.

4. Any other tips, headsup suggestions from folks who have travelled recently in this route?
Old 27th January 2019, 22:20   #11939
BHPian

Forgot to add that I am planning to start from Whitefield by 4-4.30 am.

Also, please suggest some breakfast/lunch/tea break suggestions on the way back from Kerala to Bangalore. Planning to start from Muvattupuzha around 5 am.
Old 28th January 2019, 08:30   #11940
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by victoriacc View Post
I am planning to travel from Whitefield to Muvattupuzha/Kottayam this week.

1. Route : Shall I just follow what Google suggests? [...] Or, any changes recommended?
Yes, just follow that route. No deviations from that suggested route is recommended and is to be tried only during localized accentuated circumstances.

Quote:
2. Realistic travel time? : By browsing through the last few pages, I am not getting a fair idea on how much travel time to expect. Google says 10.5 hrs.
I do Bangalore-Perumbavur in about 8.5-9 hours with meal stops. Google's estimate sounds spot-on.

Quote:
3. Refreshments : Any recommendations for breakfast/lunch/snacks breaks along the way? I am planning to start from Whitefield by 4-4.30 am.
Sometime back an effort was made to create this speadsheet:

https://goo.gl/U30Ybu

I think it is still relevant. With your start time you should be good for breakfast between Salem-Bhavani. Note that the A2B at row 21 is now closed for renovation.

If you are into non-veg an early lunch could be had at one of those famous places near Palakkad. Here's a popular one: https://goo.gl/maps/qKbhghyNL1p. Note that if you choose to drive on, then good places are available probably only after you reach Thrissur.

Quote:
4. Any other tips, headsup suggestions from folks who have travelled recently in this route?
  • Be careful going down the Thoppur ghats. You will take this during the early morning hours. Because of the road quality people take the downhill drive at 100 kmph+ speeds, but it is very dangerous.
  • Be very careful on the Coimbatore bypass. I can't stress this point enough, especially to new drivers along this route.
  • And be very patient at Kuthiran. You'll reach there I guess during peak traffic hours.
  • In fact, keep your cool between Thrissur-Angamali and Angamali to beyond Muvattupuzha. :-)

Last edited by binand : 28th January 2019 at 08:35.
binand is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed