Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2019, 16:29   #12091
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnredkar View Post
I plan to start at 5am so as to reach by 3/3:30pm. Is it fine or should I start earlier?
With a 5 AM start you can reach Cherai around 02.30 PM. However, if its possible to start early, it would be better. This way you will avoid Salem town before traffic picks up and also you can reach Cherai by lunch time.

For breakfast you can consider Saravana Bhavan, just before Vaikundam toll.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2019, 17:04   #12092
BHPian

Quote:
Any other pointers/guidelines would be helpful?
Once you enter Kerala, there are cameras every 4-5 kms. The speed limit is restricted to 50 kmph. So control your speed.

Also, I do not want to scare you or anything, just be aware of this thread here (Bad experience with a bike gang on the Coimbatore - Palakkad highway)
Sunil2307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2019, 18:16   #12093
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil2307 View Post
Once you enter Kerala, there are cameras every 4-5 kms. The speed limit is restricted to 50 kmph. So control your speed.
I thought it is 90 Kmph on the 4 lane highway from Valayar to Kochi. Are you sure it is 50 Kmph?
gadadhar is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 6th August 2019, 18:29   #12094
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil2307 View Post
The speed limit is 90kmph, those 50kmph signs are just before signals to indicate one needs to slow down, it's actually not intuitive. You will see this pattern right after walayar toll till Alathur, not sure beyond that.
NPV is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th August 2019, 09:35   #12095
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am aware of the route till Salem. But after that, the route is new to me. Are there any recommended breakfast restaurants on Salem-Coimbatore leg? And what would be a good place for lunch break. Any other pointers/guidelines would be helpful?
Just continue along the same highway from Salem. Approx 3 hours to Coimbatore (L&T byepass) from Salem. Thereafter continue to Walayar - Palakkad(turn left under the bridge to stay on the national highway) - Trichur - Chalakudy - Angamaly - Aluva (turn right to get off the highway just before the 2nd bridge at Aluva) - North Paravoor - Cherai.

There is a good veg eatery with clean restrooms on the left side of the road just before the first toll after Salem town. I can't recall the name now. Its about 500 metres before the toll (Vaiguntam toll I guess). There are a few other options too closer to Coimbatore. There is an A2B outlet just after you enter Walayar that serves veg food too.
longhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2019, 09:58   #12096
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are there any recommended breakfast restaurants on Salem-Coimbatore leg? And what would be a good place for lunch break. Any other pointers/guidelines would be helpful?
This thread used to maintain a list of possible eateries:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...-thrissur.html (Noteworthy Highway Eateries on NH7 - NH47 (Bangalore-Salem-Thrissur))

It is a bit outdated now. But I guess with a 5 AM start you could be in Perundurai A2B at around 9 and enter Kerala (Walayar) at around 12.

Once you enter Kerala of course, it is all non-veg paradise. Veg options would be minimal (though I think there are a couple along the Thrissur bypass).

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
Approx 3 hours to Coimbatore (L&T byepass) from Salem.
Salem-Coimbatore is only about 150 km. It can be done in ~2 hours.
binand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2019, 10:47   #12097
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Salem-Coimbatore is only about 150 km. It can be done in ~2 hours.
I have done Chennai - Salem (approx 330 km) in 4 hours flat a couple of years back. Nowadays 4.5 hours is the norm for me for an early morning start. The same route takes me at least 5 hours during the return journey. For all these long distance journeys its the average speed that matters more than the top speed. The longer you are able to maintain your cruising speed and the lesser the time you spend at toll booths is what makes all the difference.

My best timing for Salem - Coimbatore has been 2.5 hours for an 8 AM start from Salem. I guess we could do it in 2 hours for an earlier start.
Old 7th August 2019, 12:46   #12098
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
My best timing for Salem - Coimbatore has been 2.5 hours for an 8 AM start from Salem. I guess we could do it in 2 hours for an earlier start.
Just last month (26/7 to be precise) I exited Salem bypass at around 6 PM and entered Coimbatore bypass at around 7.30 PM. Cruise control + Fastag + solo drive helps.

Of course from there till Olavakkode took another 1.5 hours. I average 35-45 mins to clear the Coimbatore bypass.
binand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2019, 14:05   #12099
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
The speed limit is 90kmph, those 50kmph signs are just before signals to indicate one needs to slow down, it's actually not intuitive. You will see this pattern right after walayar toll till Alathur, not sure beyond that.
Thanks for pointing that out. But usually should they not be putting up those 90 kmph signs to indicate the speed limit. I have seen maybe at most one or two signs indicating 90 kmph. I have also always felt how can they have such ridiculous speed limits on such highways.

But authorities and logic do not go hand in hand in our country. Do they?
Old 7th August 2019, 19:58   #12100
BHPian

What's the status of rains in Munnar currently? Have been planning to travel to Munnar on August 15-17. The Orange & Red alerts in the state have been worrisome.

Anyone can throw some light?
Geo_Ipe is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2019, 09:34   #12101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
What's the status of rains in Munnar currently? Have been planning to travel to Munnar on August 15-17. The Orange & Red alerts in the state have been worrisome.

Anyone can throw some light?
There is incessant rains and wind in Idukki, a friend from Rajakumari said. There is a red alert for the region. Ernakulam is also seeing heavy rains. Today morning it was pouring literally. It won't be advisable, however, check again next week since you are planning for 15th.
dragntailonfire is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 8th August 2019, 10:42   #12102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
What's the status of rains in Munnar currently?
Malayala Manorama is reporting that there is large-scale landslides in Idukki district affecting vehicle movement and Munnar town has been stranded. Waterlogging is everywhere. Three nearby dams have raised their shutters.

Also that Nilambur town is seeing heavy waterlogging and no traffic is possible along the Gudalur-Nilambur-points beyond road.

We are witnessing v2.0 of last years floods from what I can make out.
binand is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th August 2019, 13:07   #12103
BHPian

As mentioned in my previous post, I was planning to travel to Kochi via Coimbatore from Bangalore starting tomorrow. But looking at the news and weather forecast, I am inclined towards cancelling the trip. Any advice?

- Prasad
Old 8th August 2019, 13:08   #12104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
We are witnessing v2.0 of last years floods from what I can make out.
Getting serious déjà vu really; the parallels are eerily similar, the dates as well.

I just drove through one of the heaviest rains that I have ever encountered, during my daily commute to office that is in Kakkanad area. It lasted for 15 - 20 minutes, with visibility very poor. Everywhere other than the immediate vicinity was shroud in a misty white blanket. Roads were overflowing with water.

In addition, getting lots of videos via WhatsApp, from Munnar and nearby areas - entire regions flooded.

If there is no change in the weather, then indeed we will be looking at another disaster.
Old 8th August 2019, 13:24   #12105
BANNED

Was planning a weekend trip. And now the rains!!!!

How will be Kochi - Chalakudy - Vazachal - Valparai - Nelliyampathy?

I wont take the road to Vazachal through Ezattumughom. The roads through plantation corporation estate was in shambles some months back.

Kumily / Thekkady - Vagamon and Munnar Marayoor - Udumalaipettai were the other options we considered. But both are ruled out now. Any other options?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks