Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2019, 13:45   #12106
BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Any other options?
How about something to the South?

I am hearing from my parents that there is rains in Trivandrum too, however it is not as intense as in Kochi, I believe.

Maybe try Ponmudi.

Needless to say, but do check the situation where you are going.
dragntailonfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2019, 16:48   #12107
Distinguished - BHPian

My friend just got back from Munnar. It's raining heavily and there were flooding and landslides along the route. It's not advisable right now as the rains are predicted till Monday (red alert in some districts including Wayannad and Idukki while others are under orange alert).

Also do check the authenticity of the video forwards. Some are from last years flood. Wonder why people circulate such false news.
Old 8th August 2019, 17:08   #12108
Senior - BHPian

The hill districts of Kerala seems to be seeing the wrath of rains again.
Heavy rains: Landslides in Idukki, restrictions on tourism.
Kerala flood: Heavy rains, landslides wreak havoc in state; red alert issued in 4 districts
Tree falls on railway track in Kozhikode, Chalakudy; trains delayed by hours.

As I write this, my folks in Alwaye (Ekm. Rural Dt.) side is also reporting heavy rains. It may be better to be in a wait and watch mode when considering to travel to Kerala right now.
Old 8th August 2019, 17:40   #12109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnredkar View Post
As mentioned in my previous post, I was planning to travel to Kochi via Coimbatore from Bangalore starting tomorrow. But looking at the news and weather forecast, I am inclined towards cancelling the trip. Any advice?
Kuthiran, Chalakudy & Aluva should be the only places that's troublesome on the NH. An orange alert has been declared in Ernakulam, Thrissur and Palakkad. Kuthiran is a bottleneck, probability of trees falling or a landslide only increases with the rain.
My friends in Aluva said it's been raining since morning, Parts of North Paravur are already flooded and Manapuram is under water now. There is water-logging on the NH in Ambattukavu area. If it keeps on raining then more areas along that stretch will get water-logged. No idea about Chalakudy.

Travelling should be fine on NH544 as of now but wouldn't recommend if you have to go back soon should they close the bridge at Aluva and NH66, the alternate route goes through even lower lying areas.
Drive safe!

Last edited by TSIboy : 8th August 2019 at 18:07. Reason: Typo
Old 8th August 2019, 17:45   #12110
BHPian

Was planning to drive to Chengannur from Bangalore.

Situation can get really tricky between thrissur-ernakulam on the NH. How about the alternate routes via Madurai-Tenkasi-Punalur?
Old 8th August 2019, 21:08   #12111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post

Situation can get really tricky between thrissur-ernakulam on the NH. How about the alternate routes via Madurai-Tenkasi-Punalur?
Tenkasi punalur route can also be tricky at this time as it involves crossing the ghats. But right now problems are not reported in that area. If you can avoid the drive now, that will be better.
ask_017 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2019, 07:33   #12112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post

Avoid travelling now as there is water logging reported on many roads. If possible, all travel to Kerala should be avoided till the situation improves.
Aditya_Bhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2019, 07:35   #12113
BHPian

Dear friends, avoid travelling to kerala as the situation is becoming almost similar to last year's floods.
Kochi airport is also closed at least till Sunday.
Holiday declared in all 14 districts.
https://english.manoramaonline.com/n...red-alert.html
Old 9th August 2019, 11:07   #12114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ask_017 View Post
Dear friends, avoid travelling to kerala as the situation is becoming almost similar to last year's floods.
Agree 100%.

Not just the weather, the general atmosphere in Kerala is quite tense, anticipating 2018 like foods. Might not be an ideal time for recreational travel! Keeping myself glued to the news portals.
Geo_Ipe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2019, 11:08   #12115
BHPian

Hello All,
The situation is worrisome, as it looks like a repeat, if the rains continue, though the water reservoirs are still not full, like Idukki etc. Authorities have asked people staying alongside Chalakudy river to shift if possible as the river is likely to overflow. However what is also dangerous is the intermittent local cyclonic conditions in which trees and tin roofs get uprooted, lot damages have been reported, so it pays to be cautious and avoid travel until its necessary.
Old 9th August 2019, 12:30   #12116
BANNED

My offices at Paravut (on the one way from Kottapuram bridge to Paravur) is closed. Staff have reported water levels rising in their homes.

At Muvattupuzha, the office is inside the town, in market area, and seems water levels around the office are rising. So people travelling along MC Road should take care.
Old 9th August 2019, 15:33   #12117
BHPian

I don't think the current situation is comparable with that of last year. Last year there were heavy rainfall for weeks leading to the floods. All the reservoirs were filled to the brim. This year there were hardly any heavy rain tiil last one week. The reservoirs are at 30%of the capacity, as per the electricity board. So there will be only rain water to worry about. Idukki dam and all will not get opened for sure. And today rainfall is pretty press compared to yesterday. Nothing wrong in being cautious though.
Vishfull is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2019, 17:50   #12118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishfull View Post
I don't think the current situation is comparable with that of last year.
This time, Wayanad has faced the brunt of rain damages so far.

The roads are flooded in my native place of Pattambi - Thrithala (Palakkad district) on the banks of Bharathapuzha. My relatives had to move to another place as a precaution, as there is a possibility of hospital visit. This situation happened last year after several days of rain and when the Malampuzha dam opened, however, it feels like the flooding started a bit quicker than last time around. Also, they are yet to open the dam.

Even though the rain has simmered down for now in Kochi, the red alert still stands till tomorrow as per the KSDMA site. The latest rainfall forecast info-graphic is available in the site.

http://sdma.kerala.gov.in/
Old 9th August 2019, 19:14   #12119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
At Muvattupuzha, the office is inside the town, in market area, and seems water levels around the office are rising. So people travelling along MC Road should take care.
Water level is coming down now. The flooding affected the usual areas only, especially in the market region, the roads parallel to the river and some water logging in low lying areas. The situation cannot be compared to 2018, although it may get worse in the coming days, if the weather turns bad.

This time, Idukki district wasn't affected much, except for a few landslides. Majority of the problems are in Northern Kerala, especially in Wayanad and Mallapuram, where multiple landslides have taken away 1000s of homes and buildings, causing huge loss to life and property.
Old 9th August 2019, 20:14   #12120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragntailonfire View Post
This time, Wayanad has faced the brunt of rain damages so far.

The roads are flooded in my native place of Pattambi - Thrithala (Palakkad district) on the banks of Bharathapuzha. My relatives had to move to another place as a precaution, as there is a possibility of hospital visit.
That's really sad.Any info on the pattambi-guruvayur bridge?Has it flooded again this year?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks