Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2019, 20:27   #12121
BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSIVTEC View Post
That's really sad.Any info on the pattambi-guruvayur bridge?Has it flooded again this year?
Yes, it has flooded again. When I checked with my relative who lives there, he said there was no traffic movement across the bridge. This was during the afternoon. I am not sure if the situation has improved now. He again updated that it was still raining in the evening as well.
Old 10th August 2019, 10:18   #12122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSIVTEC View Post
That's really sad.Any info on the pattambi-guruvayur bridge?Has it flooded again this year?
Yes saw on TV yesterday, Bharatpuzha is flowing over the bridge, infact it has breached in many places. in Ottapalam, Palakkad etc.
Old 12th August 2019, 08:30   #12123
BANNED

Did Palarivattom Guruvayoor yesterday, via Trichur. NH 544 or whatever the old NH 47 is called now has plenty of holes and rough patches between Aluva and the turn off to Ollur. On return, hit one at 65kmph. Was a jarring experience. So be careful. And keep a ship's length (no, barge pole wont do) from other vehicles. And be extra cautious about the super bikes and the helmetless geniuses riding them.

If you have a good eye, and can keep away from other vehicles, you can avoid these reflexes - cum - suspension testers.

Edit - the Kunnamkulam road had water logging before Cherpu, and Google sent us via Pavaratty - Poovathur - Amala. This too had water logging with water inside houses on reclaimed farmland. There was also plenty on water at Puzhakkal pardon, just before Punkunnam, 1 km before and after Shobha /. My kiďscommented that the tennis academy should name itself the swimming academy.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 12th August 2019 at 08:38.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2019, 11:15   #12124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Did Palarivattom Guruvayoor yesterday, via Trichur. NH 544 or whatever the old NH 47 is called now has plenty of holes and rough patches between Aluva and the turn off to Ollur. On return, hit one at 65kmph. Was a jarring experience. So be careful. And keep a ship's length (no, barge pole wont do) from other vehicles. And be extra cautious about the super bikes and the helmetless geniuses riding them.

If you have a good eye, and can keep away from other vehicles, you can avoid these reflexes - cum - suspension testers.

Edit - the Kunnamkulam road had water logging before Cherpu, and Google sent us via Pavaratty - Poovathur - Amala. This too had water logging with water inside houses on reclaimed farmland. There was also plenty on water at Puzhakkal pardon, just before Punkunnam, 1 km before and after Shobha /. My kiďscommented that the tennis academy should name itself the swimming academy.

Hows overall traffic ?

We are planning a sabarimala trip on the 16th.
Hopefully situation improves by then.
Old 12th August 2019, 12:20   #12125
BHPian

Think situation is improving now. Yesterday there was pretty less rain in kochi (and in allover kerala) compared to the past one week, and today sun is shining bright after a lot of days.

I have to comment that government is trying to make the road drivable. Past one week there was a huge pothole (not exactly a pothole-the entire road was missing for around one meter) in the karingachira thiruvankulam stretch on Friday. There was a huge traffic jam due to this. Today when I went through it, was expecting a bigger block, but miraculously that pothole had disappeared! Kudos to the administration
Old 13th August 2019, 22:56   #12126
Senior - BHPian

What is the condition of Bangalore Calicut route?
Is the usual muthanga - Churam route open?
Old 14th August 2019, 11:22   #12127
BHPian

Guys any updates on Pune - Kannur route ( via Mangalore) ? I am hoping the Karad-Satara-Kolhapur-Belgaum stretch is driveable now.

And also what should be the best route to take from Kannur to Coimbatore ?
Old 14th August 2019, 11:27   #12128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
The Muthanga-Thamarassery route was reopened on Monday, 12th of August. But as there are more rains predicted, I don't know how long it'll hold up.
I did a Bangalore-Calicut University-Bangalore roundtrip last week (9th - 12th August). Took the Salem-Coimbatore-Palakkad-Perinthalmanna-Angadippuram-Kottakkal-NH66 route. This was the driest route possible during the time. Malappuram, Manjeri, Mankada, Makkaraparamba, Koottilangaadi etc. had flooding. Came back via the same route on 12th, even though Thamarassary route was open. 518km instead of the usual 362km, but felt completely safe, especially with family onboard.

Last edited by A350XWB : 14th August 2019 at 11:30.
A350XWB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 11:40   #12129
BHPian

Quote:
Route was open when I did it yesterday. No water on the roads. Thamarassery route is also open. Roads are good throughout.
Old 14th August 2019, 12:29   #12130
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
No issues. Roads are open. Also, a friend did Ambalavayal - Calicut day before yesterday. Apart from few patchy sections on Kalpetta bye-pass and fallen trees which were blocking part of the road near ghats, no issues. As per him, drive was peaceful thanks to less traffic.
Old 17th August 2019, 16:48   #12131
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys,

Can somebody comment on the road conditions to Periyakulam, Theni? Have a drive sometime next week. Planning to take Rajakkad route as highlighted in the picture (wife not particularly keen on this route as she saw the ghat section in Bodi Hills ). If it's bad, I might return via Kumily - Pala.

Do let me know.

All Roads to Kerala-untitled.jpg

Last edited by naveen.raju : 17th August 2019 at 16:51.
Old 18th August 2019, 07:42   #12132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Guys,

Can somebody comment on the road conditions to Periyakulam, Theni? Have a drive sometime next week. Planning to take Rajakkad route as highlighted in the picture (wife not particularly keen on this route as she saw the ghat section in Bodi Hills ). If it's bad, I might return via Kumily - Pala.

Do let me know.
The route is narrow, you have to take Adimaly-Kallarkutty road to skip Munnar hills. But, Google Maps recommend this route now a days. From Muvattupuzha, you can also go through Vannappuram-Mundanmudy-Blathikavala route to reach Rajakkad and towards Theni. But, I had a feedback from someone from that area, this route has some dangerously steep ghat areas in Mundanmudi which is after Vannappuram. Muvattupuzha-Vannappuram is around 28kms and the roads aren't in the best condition.
deepclutch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2019, 13:52   #12133
BHPian

Adimaly-Rajakkad-Pooppara route was a smooth road when I did it a couple of months ago. However lot of twists and turns and the Bodi ghat section will slow you down. The Kumily route with be faster if you can manage to cross Mundakayam early.
Old 19th August 2019, 16:33   #12134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Multiple news sources are reporting that the Ponnarimangalam Toll Plaza on NH 966A (Container Road; northern ring road from Kalamassery to Vallarpadam in Kochi) will start operating from Thursday 7/2/19. Toll rates can be had from the TIS.
I guess there is an alternate route to go to the Aster med city or to NH544. Instead of taking left turn towards Gosri bridge while coming from Court, turn right and go via Vaduthala which will eventually join 966A.

I never tried this route till date. I go via toll gate-container road. 50 INR for ~10 kms stretch is way too high. When I reach the toll gate, I will tell them I have only Fastag and no cash. So they will open the gate. . Sometimes, I do pay by cash.

Another update on road condition is:
The Aroor palli -> Edakochi -> Kumbalangi vazhi is a night mare. The corp has dug for laying pipelines I guess. Big potholes and a boat like journey. Private buses don't bother and come head-on.

Aroor - Cherthala they have done patch work and definitely is not a good road. May be govt planning for another toll gate . Cherthala - Aroor is somewhat better.

Kuthiraan also has big potholes.

Last edited by deemash : 19th August 2019 at 16:42.
deemash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2019, 17:03   #12135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deemash View Post
I guess there is an alternate route to go to the Aster med city or to NH544. Instead of taking left turn towards Gosri bridge while coming from Court, turn right and go via Vaduthala which will eventually join 966A.
Have they started toll for private vehicles too? Only the commercial vehicles were being charged initially and even the Uber/Ola drivers are avoiding this road nowadays citing the toll charges.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks