Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2019, 19:48   #12226
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Did a Bangalore-Tirur-Ponnani-Bangalore round trip over the weekend. My usual route of Sarjapur-Nallur Road-Hosur and then the regular highway to Palakkad- Ottapalam-Pattambi- Kuttipuram-Tirur. On the return since it was the end of the long weekend and I could start only by 11am, thought to take the state highways that avoided the tolls, but finally stuck to the NH route only.

The toll after Salem and Krishnagiri were the worst with close to 1km of queues. and 20-30 min of wait time. Fastag did not help much as is expected in such situations. Also got stuck in the middle of a jam caused by an accident for 30-40 min.

Most tolls have all lanes marked as Fastag enabled (in preparation for the Dec 1st Roll Out), In many cases it was basically hand scanners though. Prominent displays all along the highway on Fastag becoming mandatory. Still don't see how it will be implemented smoothly though.

On the road conditions, most of the stretches after Palakkad which I drove on have become patchy with deep pot holes. Not seen the roads in this state for a long time now. Hopefully since the rains have subsided, will be fixed soon.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2019, 19:55   #12227
BHPian

Folks, Advice needed. Is Bangalore to Trivandrum doable by road with 2 young kids and wife? How long does it take? Does the road have good stops for eat and loo etc.?
Old 4th November 2019, 21:46   #12228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshtrao View Post
Is Bangalore to Trivandrum doable by road with 2 young kids and wife?
Why not?

We drove Bangalore-Kanyakumari in 8.5 hours (5AM-1.30PM) during pooja holidays. Then Kanyakumari-Trivandrum in about 3 hours of driving time (we stopped at Shuchindram and also took a detour to Thirparappu falls, so this timing is approximate).
binand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2019, 22:43   #12229

Quote:
Folks, Advice needed. Is Bangalore to Trivandrum doable by road with 2 young kids and wife? How long does it take? Does the road have good stops for eat and loo etc.?
Definitely doable. Via Salem - Madurai - Kanyakumari - TVM should be about 13 hrs driving time. Via Salem - Coimbatore - Palakkad - Ernakulam - TVM will be 15 hours of driving. Add about 2 hours for breaks.

Both the routes have excellent food and restroom facilities all along the way.
Old 5th November 2019, 09:44   #12230
ike
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrnair80 View Post
Via Salem - Coimbatore - Palakkad - Ernakulam - TVM will be 15 hours of driving. Add about 2 hours for breaks.
TVM - Thrissur via cherthala - EKM took me 8 Hrs approximately on a Sunday. It is better to stick ti the less congested TN highways as much as possible. Kanyakumari - TVM is congested but manageable.
Old 5th November 2019, 10:18   #12231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
We drove Bangalore-Kanyakumari in 8.5 hours (5AM-1.30PM) during pooja holidays. Then Kanyakumari-Trivandrum in about 3 hours of driving time
Quote:
Via Salem - Madurai - Kanyakumari - TVM should be about 13 hrs driving time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ike View Post
Kanyakumari - TVM is congested but manageable.
Maybe this point isn't clear - one needn't go all the way to Kanyakumari to go to Trivandrum. The turn-off is sign-posted at a place called Kavalkinaru which is about 30 km before.
Old 5th November 2019, 10:39   #12232
BHPian

Quote:
Absolutely doable. It should be 13-14 hours if you drive leisurely with breaks.
Majority of the drive would be through national highways which has eateries with decent options to freshen up.

How young are the kids and would the driving duty be shared ?
Old 5th November 2019, 10:42   #12233

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Maybe this point isn't clear - one needn't go all the way to Kanyakumari to go to Trivandrum. The turn-off is sign-posted at a place called Kavalkinaru which is about 30 km before.
I should have been more clear! I was just referring to the general direction to take and not the actual route to navigate.
Old 5th November 2019, 10:51   #12234
BHPian

Quote:
Definitely doable. Via Salem - Madurai - Kanyakumari - TVM should be about 13 hrs driving time. Via Salem - Coimbatore - Palakkad - Ernakulam - TVM will be 15 hours of driving. Add about 2 hours for breaks.

Both the routes have excellent food and restroom facilities all along the way.
15 hours for Blr - Ekm-TVM would be a stretch , especially with young kids on board. Unless Palakkad to TVM is covered late night to early morning.
Old 5th November 2019, 10:59   #12235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mate, Very much doable. I did Bangalore to Kanyakumari in 2015 in 10 hrs 15 min with the odo not crossing even the 100 kmph mark. Sedate driving with my wife and 2 kids. This total time includes 20 min tiffin break at Krishnagiri and nearly 45 min lunch break at Tirumangalam near Madurai.

I left Bangalore by 6 30 AM and checked into the hotel at Kanyakumari by 4 45 PM.

Last edited by suresh_gs : 5th November 2019 at 11:07.
Old 5th November 2019, 11:01   #12236

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMichael View Post
15 hours for Blr - Ekm-TVM would be a stretch , especially with young kids on board. Unless Palakkad to TVM is covered late night to early morning.
It is Doable. I usually take about 17-18 hours (with breaks) most of the times I have used this route. On one very fortuitous day (read truckers strike!) I even reached Electronic City, from Kollam, in about 12 hours (with breaks)!!!

Of course, start times will definitely be early morning on all trips (around 4-5 AM).
Old 5th November 2019, 11:25   #12237
BHPian

Quote:
It is Doable. I usually take about 17-18 hours (with breaks) most of the times I have used this route. On one very fortuitous day (read truckers strike!) I even reached Electronic City, from Kollam, in about 12 hours (with breaks)!!!

Of course, start times will definitely be early morning on all trips (around 4-5 AM).
Yes it is doable - even 12 hours is doable , but as I said it would be a stretch. With an early morning start , you would typically take lesser time to reach Bangalore from Kerala than the other way , because you would beat the Kerala traffic. If 4am start would mean you would reach Palakkad by around 10:30 -11 and would hit peak traffic all the way to TVM - not to mention the Kuthiran mess.
Old 5th November 2019, 22:24   #12238
BHPian

Hi all! I have booked a stay at Sterling Anaikatti this weekend. I would be driving down from Trichy. I plan to take my VW Polo GT on the trip, but I am a bit apprehensive about the road conditions from Coimbatore to Anaikatti and Kottathara.
Would anyone know about the road conditions there post the monsoon?
If the roads are bad I would be forced to borrow a Ford Ecosport for the trip.
Old 8th November 2019, 10:26   #12239
BHPian

What is the current status of Kuthiran? Heard patch work has began; is it complete?
Old 8th November 2019, 10:50   #12240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBoss View Post
What is the current status of Kuthiran? Heard patch work has began; is it complete?
Driven through Kuthiran on 26th Oct. Was hell of a ride. No road whatsoever. Don't know the recent condition.
rajivr1612 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks