Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2019, 11:50   #12241
BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBoss View Post
What is the current status of Kuthiran? Heard patch work has began; is it complete?
Don't risk it. Road is still pathetic and most days there is horrible traffic congestion that can be for hours. Take the Chelakkara - Pazhayannur route
Old 8th November 2019, 12:15   #12242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBoss View Post
What is the current status of Kuthiran? Heard patch work has began; is it complete?
If you can read Malayalam, here is the latest update.
Road work has started. Restriction for trailers during day time to aid repair work.

https://www.mathrubhumi.com/thrissur...lock-1.4262225
pramodpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2019, 15:10   #12243
Senior - BHPian

There is some activity on the L&T toll road to bypass Coimbatore - to me it appears they're adding 2 toll collection lanes on one side of the existing booths. So, the length of queues could reduce but don't expect any respite from the irritating traffic and dangerous intersections. Also expect an increased toll levy from next year, now that L&T has invested some money.

My suggestion to those travelling between Palakkad and Neelambur would be to enter Coimbatore city during the lean hours (between say 10PM and before 5AM) rather than tackle the undivided road. The city roads are wide and well lit, and will take more or less the same time to cover though the route is longer.
silversteed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2019, 18:53   #12244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetorange View Post
I plan to take my VW Polo GT on the trip, but I am a bit apprehensive about the road conditions from Coimbatore to Anaikatti and Kottathara.
I had travelled via Mannarkad-Attapadi-Anaikatti couple of times a year or so back. The route from Coimbatore was alright, but in my opinion the Karamadai-Anaikatti stretch must be avoided in the Polo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
to me it appears they're adding 2 toll collection lanes on one side of the existing booths.
Are they doing this at all the toll booths or only at one or two?
Old 10th November 2019, 13:02   #12245
BHPian

Dear All, I am planning a road trip to Rameswaram during Christmas week. Can somebody help with following queries.
1. Best route from Ernakulam. Google map is giving 2 options. thrissur- Kollengode-Palani- Dindigal-Madhurai-Rameswaram and Adimali-Theni - Madhurai. Which one is best. I will be driving with elderly parents and a 2 year old kid.
2. Approx. Drive time and road conditions. I would like to avoid night driving. Can start around 5 30AM from kalamassery.
3. At the moment planning 3 day trip with 2 nights at Rameswaram. Is this ok or too hectic. Should I break the journey in between for a stop over.
Old 11th November 2019, 11:42   #12246
Senior - BHPian

Drove to Bangalore on Sunday. I try to use cruise control and maintain a steady pace as much as I can, but not yesterday. It was just not possible to keep driving at a constant speed and on the same lane for more than a few minutes, thanks to the heavier than usual traffic.

Had crossed Walayar toll at 3:45 PM. Signal lights were not functioning at the two intersections on the Coimbatore bypass, but thanks to a few container lorries, we were able to get through without a lot of trouble. The infamous chicanes have made an appearance on this bypass too.

The detours after Karumathampatty and then in front of Vinayaka Mission University were clogged, thanks to the narrow service roads. All toll booths had longer queues - we were crawling for about 10 minutes each at Thoppur, Krishnagiri and Attibele toll booths. It helped a bit that all lanes had FASTag readers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Are they doing this at all the toll booths or only at one or two?
The first two (towards Salem) for now.

Last edited by silversteed : 11th November 2019 at 11:48.
Old 11th November 2019, 12:36   #12247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Drove to Bangalore on Sunday.
Had crossed Walayar toll at 3:45 PM.

From where did you start your drive? Did you cross Kuthiran?
Old 11th November 2019, 14:00   #12248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
From where did you start your drive? Did you cross Kuthiran?
Palakkad. Haven't been to Kuthiran since the rains wreaked havoc this year
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2019, 10:06   #12249
Senior - BHPian

As per reports in Malayala Manorama, Kuthiran retarring will be over today. Around 5 KMs road is completely relaid. Here is the report for those who can read Malayalam.

https://localnews.manoramaonline.com...end-today.html
pramodpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2019, 12:15   #12250
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselLover View Post
Dear All, I am planning a road trip to Rameswaram during Christmas week. Can somebody help with following queries.
1. Best route from Ernakulam. Google map is giving 2 options. thrissur- Kollengode-Palani- Dindigal-Madhurai-Rameswaram and Adimali-Theni - Madhurai. Which one is best. I will be driving with elderly parents and a 2 year old kid.
2. Approx. Drive time and road conditions. I would like to avoid night driving. Can start around 5 30AM from kalamassery.
3. At the moment planning 3 day trip with 2 nights at Rameswaram. Is this ok or too hectic. Should I break the journey in between for a stop over.
Have done route 2 some years back. But stayed overnight at Madurai. It was a very relaxed drive, with some time spent going around at Munnar and therefore, we reached Madurai by 7. A slightly earlier start may take you to Rameshwaram by 9. Temple in the morning and Mandapam _ Dhanushkoti in evening. And return on day 3. Ask to see the floating stone @ the now non-existent Mandapam railway station on route to Dhanushkoti.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2019, 20:18   #12251
BHPian

Drove Bangalore to Thrissur on Saturday. Took SH86 from Omalur and joined back NH544 (Hotel Vallalar)from Edappadi-Sankari road. Tharamangalam byepass is complete and it saves some time. SH86 has started deteriorating and there are some potholes that take you by surprise. Took right before Konganapuram and joined Edappadi-Sankari road. This road is in superb condition.

Coimbatore bypass is the usual mess. Took Alathur-Pazhayannur-Chelakkara-Wadakkanchery-Thrissur. Alathur to Chelakkara is not very good at some places but still very much manageable. Road is very bad around Akamala temple and Wadakkanchery railway station.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselLover View Post
Except the kuthiran mess, thrissur to udumalpet is good (Drove in the first week of October). Dindigul-Madurai as well as Madurai-Rameshwaram is superb road (Drove in Aug).

Munnar-Bodimettu is in a terrible state. Road from Bodimettu -Theni is very good.

Last edited by ajmat : 12th November 2019 at 22:19.
SUBRU is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th November 2019, 20:49   #12252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
The route from Coimbatore was alright, but in my opinion the Karamadai-Anaikatti stretch must be avoided in the Polo.
Thank you! I took the Coimbatore- Anaikatti- Kottathara route to Sterling Anaikatti. Strangely, Sterling Anaikatti isn't at Anaikatti at all! The road from Coimbatore to Anaikatti was well surfaced and reasonably wide. There is a bridge at the state border where the road enters Kerala. The change in the quality of the road was so abrupt and alarming! The road was full of potholes and about 20% narrower. I wonder why the Kerala part of the highway is so poorly maintained.
Old 13th November 2019, 06:14   #12253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUBRU View Post

Except the kuthiran mess, thrissur to udumalpet is good (Drove in the first week of October). Dindigul-Madurai as well as Madurai-Rameshwaram is superb road (Drove in Aug).

Munnar-Bodimettu is in a terrible state. Road from Bodimettu -Theni is very good.
Thanks Subru. What is the approximate driving time on this route to Rameswaram. Is it possible to reach before 6pm with a 5;30AM start from Ernakulam.
Old 13th November 2019, 10:14   #12254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUBRU View Post
Drove Bangalore to Thrissur on Saturday. Took SH86 from Omalur and joined back NH544 (Hotel Vallalar)from Edappadi-Sankari road. Tharamangalam byepass is complete and it saves some time. Took right before Konganapuram and joined Edappadi-Sankari road. This road is in superb condition.
I usually take this route to avoid Salem but haven't seen Tharamangalam bypass. Last time when I took this route, noticed a new road (before Tharamangalam when coming from Bangalore). Is this the road that you are talking about?

Also which is this - Took right before Konganapuram and joined Edappadi-Sankari. I usually take a small road and join Edappadi Sankari road. Can you please show your route on google maps?
Old 13th November 2019, 11:31   #12255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
I usually take this route to avoid Salem but haven't seen Tharamangalam bypass. Last time when I took this route, noticed a new road (before Tharamangalam when coming from Bangalore). Is this the road that you are talking about?

Also which is this - Took right before Konganapuram and joined Edappadi-Sankari. I usually take a small road and join Edappadi Sankari road. Can you please show your route on google maps?
I guess it this road marked in RED

All Roads to Kerala-road-before-konganapuram.png
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed