Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2019, 15:47   #12346
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnjdnght View Post
I thought the speed limit in Kerala for divided highways was 90 Kmph and 70 Kmph on 2-lane regular highways.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
Speed limit is 90 KMPH on 4 lane highways, 85 on 2 lane national highways and 80 on State Highways. However, Police usually set lower limits in ghat sections.
This was the clarification from the Transport Commissioner:

https://www.facebook.com/mvdkerala/p...87614077973251

Quote:
From April 2018 onwards, the Motor Vehicle Department's speed cameras on 4 lane NH roads are catching hold of only light motor vehicles of 8 seaters and below, which speed above 100 meters. On other NH roads, speed limit is 80 km/hr as per the State notification though in the Central notification dated March 2018, it was specified as 70 km/hr. On new roads which have reported high accident rates, the speed limit has been limited to 70 km/hr.
(There's a typo - 100 meters instead of 100 km/hr)

This information is available in the Kerala MVD website, as a MoRTH Notification

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnjdnght View Post
hope you've tried those cameras at 100 kmph.
I set the cruise control to ~95kmph these days, in place of the 85kmph earlier. My last trip was earlier in December. Nothing from the MVD in the post yet, and the interceptor cops didn't stop me (on an afternoon) either

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
The "where in Wynad" remark ...
There is no town, village or place named Wynad.
Isn't it the same with Idukki as well? But nobody plans a trip to Idukki, like a trip to Wayanad

Last edited by silversteed : 19th December 2019 at 15:59.
silversteed is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th December 2019, 18:07   #12347
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Isn't it the same with Idukki as well? But nobody plans a trip to Idukki, like a trip to Wayanad
More like Coorg I'd say. There's a township called Idukki and people do go there (to visit the eponymous dam and power generation plant).
Old 19th December 2019, 18:59   #12348
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Do watch out for moron KSRTC drivers from Cherthala to Alleppey where the roads are 2 lane. A teaser below (This was just before entering Alleppey town) :
Seems like a nice guy. He actually braked and aborted the overtake. Most folks would have just kept coming expecting you to move to the shoulder which was available.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2019, 14:50   #12349
BHPian

I am planning to drive from Bangalore to Kollengode/Palakkad next week and have some general queries as I am driving this route after about 4 years.

1) Is Bangalore-Salem-Coimbatore Byepass-Palakkad ByePass-Kollengode the best route or any other recommendations? Planning to start around 4 am.
2) Is FastTag compulsary? What if I dont have one?
3) Please list out good food+bio break points, especially for breakfast and lunch.
4) Any recommendations for stay in and around Kollengode town? I know of places in Palakkad itself and so you may skip that.
Old 20th December 2019, 15:56   #12350
BHPian

I did Bangalore-Palakkad this morning. Started at 5.30am and reached the Kongad region of Palakkad by 12.30 pm that includes 1 breakfast and 1 fuel stop.
Being a working day, the roads were crowded with cars and the usual truck traffic.
FasTag worked all through. At most tolls (especially from Thoppur onwards) there was conscious effort to segregate Cash and Fastag users. It did work well in some tolls and the usual chaos at others. Cash only was supposed to be the left lanes while fastag on the right lanes AND cash still being accepted in all lanes.
Thoppur down hill has now been converted to a single right lane, the left lanes were barricaded.
Salem flyover deviation is only for short stretch, shouldn't be an issue if you start early.
In the first few kms of the L&T bypass there were 2 sections where barricades have been placed to slow down the traffic. What more do you want on that narrow stretch?
Palakkad town bypass towards Olavakode has a new surface laid out.
sansvk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2019, 17:26   #12351
BHPian

Today evening avoid travel through MC Road in Ernakulam district. All roads are blocked and multiple diversions are there due to protests taking place against CAA.
Aditya_Bhp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th December 2019, 18:28   #12352

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Resist the temptation to turn right after Kuttipuram bridge and continue along NH66 to Ernakulam via Ponnani-Kodungallur. While beach-hugging and scenic this is narrow and crowded and will add about 2 hours to your overall time.
Thanks for the detailed reply . Would definitely help . Travelling on 22nd afternoon ( Sunday )from close to Kalpetta(- A homestay near Suchipara falls.)

any restaurants enroute Kalpetta -Kozhikode- Kuttipuram that serves some good Kozhikode Malabar biriyani. Based on the replies above am thinking of leaving a bit early and catching lunch enroute

Last edited by BlackPearl : 20th December 2019 at 21:21. Reason: Trimmed the post in quotes for better readability. Thanks
Old 20th December 2019, 20:06   #12353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meconi View Post
any restaurants enroute Kalpetta -Kozhikode- Kuttipuram that serves some good Kozhikode Malabar biriyani. Based on the replies above am thinking of leaving a bit early and catching lunch enroute
Kozhikode is a gourmet's delight. If you are looking for authentic biriyani try the original Paragon. With one-ways and loops and minimal parking getting there is a pain though.

Paragon Restaurant
Kannur Rd, near CH Over bridge, Kozhikode, Kerala 673001
0495 404 0000
https://maps.app.goo.gl/mxYhKFGBmSeFYRYQ7

Alternately, there is Sagar:

Sagar Restaurant
Mavoor Rd, Opp Big Bazar, Arayidathupalam, Kozhikode, Kerala 673004
0495 272 0152
https://maps.app.goo.gl/6DVLCTRxynEmKMtP8

I'd suggest exiting the bypass at Thondayad junction for both (not skip it altogether).
binand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th December 2019, 20:13   #12354
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meconi View Post
One more in addition to what Binand mentioned above. Malabar Masala

This is on the bypass, so no deviation. First preference would be Paragon though.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2019, 20:34   #12355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Kozhikode is a gourmet's delight. If you are looking for authentic biriyani try the original Paragon.
Agree. Paragon is definitely worth the detour. Undoubtedly, the best Chicken Biriyani in Calicut. Their seafood is also great.

meconi, if you're dining at Paragon, buy home some hot banana chips from Kumari Chips opposite Paragon (they also sell good Kozhikoden Halwa). And, there's a small shop that sells sarbath- their milk sarbath is famous.

Other good options in Calicut are : Kuttichira Biriyani Centre (basic facilities, parking is tricky, but the Biriyani is great), Hotel Rahmath (best Beef Biriyani in Calicut).

And if you start late or feel hungry early, you can try White House Restaurant, Engapuzha. Their fish biriyani is better than chicken biriyani. Also, Chicken and Mutton Mandhi are good.

Last edited by Klub Class : 20th December 2019 at 20:58.
Klub Class is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th December 2019, 22:45   #12356

Wonderful. Thanks. Will definitely try out Paragon ! Sure looks like a worth detour
Old 21st December 2019, 10:07   #12357
BHPian

I did Bangalore to Cochin. Left at about 1230 am today, Saturday.

Nothing to write about the rest of the route, but Coimbatore bypass is now fastag enabled. The right side toll is fastag+cash, left is cash only. No boards put up yet though.

Trishur toll was chaotic at about 7 am. The traffic was backed up to the top of the flyover!
ak916 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st December 2019, 16:37   #12358
BHPian

How is the road condition between Nagercoil to Trivandrum? Please let me know whether it's okay to take that route.
Old 21st December 2019, 16:49   #12359

I completed Bangalore to Kochi starting on 18th afternoon.Took a break in Salem. I stayed at Radisson in Salem and then continued on from Salem in the morning reaching Kochi at 2:30 PM.

FastTag update:

Toll booths in Karnataka both at Electronics city flyover and Attibele were in utter confusion. Traffic was piled up with no clear demarcation for fastag and non fastag users with users delaying auto toll pays.

In Kerala and Tamilnadu most toll booths have a clear demarcation of Cash vs Fast tag with users diverting traffic. In a couple of places, where there were no people and a few cars went into unmanned booths and had to wait for people to pay cash delaying automatic entry. The journey was much smoother than before with more booths accepting fastag. Previous fastag lanes were either hooged by slow trucks or you were stuck behind a cash payment car.

Road update:
Kuthiran and Coimbatore bypass still a major problem. Highways in Kerala from Walayar till Thrissur being widened or in maintenance with some diversions near junctions. Google maps provides accurate times. There is increased surveillance in Kerala for speeding and I notcied at least 7-8 speed monitoring vans from Walayar to Kochi.
sudheen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2019, 17:39   #12360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak916 View Post
I did Bangalore to Cochin. Left at about 1230 am today

Nothing to write about the rest of the route, but Coimbatore bypass is now fastag enabled.

Trishur toll was chaotic at about 7 am.
I drove this morning. 3.30 am departure from Bangalore, 12.30 pm arrival at Perumbavur. Pretty much identical experience. I really enjoyed the full potential fastag experience at all toll booths till Coimbatore - Attibele included - did I have to stop (ie, come to a standstill).

Serendipitously found out that even the Coimbatore bypass takes fastag now, but only on the right of the two lanes. In one booth I went in the left lane, and the booth attendant had to come out to manually open the boom for me. Two charges, one at the entry point for Rs. 17 and the other at the exit for Rs. 28 seems to be the protocol.

Paliyekkara was a 20 minute delay. I complained that though the lane I took was marked strictly for tag-sporting vehicles they were letting in cash payers also. The toll attendant said they will stop that only from January.

Saw a 10 minute jam in Angamali limits so too the Google-suggested route through FISAT campus towards Malayattoor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijujj View Post
How is the road condition between Nagercoil to Trivandrum?
I had driven that way in October. It is very good with heavy traffic. No other worries.
binand is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed