Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2019, 15:38   #12376
BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by meconi View Post
Coimbatore to Salem - Google maps was playing messy. It was recommending detours all through. Continued on the tried and tested highways and did not encounter any problem at triple digit speeds.
I drove from Erode to Bangalore on the 26th. I also faced this problem of Google maps trying to direct me off the highway onto side roads. I ignored the directions and continued straight on the highway itself.
Old 28th December 2019, 17:50   #12377
BHPian

Google maps cannot be trusted completely. Last week it directed me through Madhurai city while driving towards Rameswaram and we lost at least 1 hr negotiating Saturday evening traffic inside the city.

While returning it directed us through the bye pass which was a breeze to drive through..
Old 30th December 2019, 10:19   #12378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
There were several sections where road widening work was in progress on this route if you are taking Palode-Kulathupuzha-Thenmala route.

This was the condition in September this year. On Tamilandu side the roads were in good condition and it is good to stay on SH744 till Madurai if you are going towards Bangalore (or Chennai as I noticed from your location).
Went to Courtallam this weekend and took this route. Few spots are still bad with no roads but nothing too worrying for my tjet. The Thenmala stretch was a joy to drive in the night with hardly any traffic. New reflectors on the road, newly paved tarmac and me in a remapped tjet with a gear throw reducer fixed!
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2019, 13:23   #12379
Senior - BHPian

Fastag up and running on Coimbatore L&T bypass. All the intermediate tolls have Fastag too. Initially an amount of 17 is deducted and when you cross the final toll an amount of 28 is further deducted.

The inner lane is Fastag as of now. No boards or any other indicators for the Fastag lane as yet - probably because it's imolemented recently (couple of days).

Last edited by AMG Power : 30th December 2019 at 13:25.
AMG Power is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th December 2019, 19:56   #12380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Went to Courtallam this weekend and took this route. Few spots are still bad with no roads but nothing too worrying for my tjet. The Thenmala stretch was a joy to drive in the night with hardly any traffic. New reflectors on the road, newly paved tarmac and me in a remapped tjet with a gear throw reducer fixed!
Night drive on this stretch is serene. Happy to know that the TJet enjoyed it as well!
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2019, 21:51   #12381
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post

The inner lane is Fastag as of now. No boards or any other indicators for the Fastag lane as yet - probably because it's imolemented recently (couple of days).
There are some small cardboards placed in some tolls, this is visible when coming from Kerala. But the cash lane was definitely faster.
Old 1st January 2020, 12:29   #12382
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Yes you can bypass the problem stretch between Madathara and Thenmala if you take Kottarakara Punalur Shenkotta route but it will be a long detour. A slightly shorter one is Ayur Anchal Punalur route.
I took Ayur->Anchal->Thenmala route yesterday. Except for a few very short stretches where road work was going on near Kularthupuzha, road condition was good. I started late around 7.00AM and could reach Madurai bypass in 6.30 Hrs.

Last edited by vb-saan : 1st January 2020 at 13:00. Reason: Broken quotes corrected
bijujj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2020, 15:15   #12383
BHPian

Drove to Cherthala (alappuzha dist) on Dec 20th evening. The journey was OK till Paliyekkara toll plaza. Here it was complete mess of vehicles and the traffic started piling up on the approaching flyover too. Took 30 to 35 minutes to cross this mess.

Drove back to Coimbatore on Dec 31, 2019 night and reached Coimbatore on 1.1.2020. I usually take Aroor -> Edappally -> and before reaching kumbalangi vazhi there is a Church on the right hand side. I took that route and this took me to the Thoppumpady - Kudanoor road. Took the Tevara sacred hearts college road, Ravipuram left turn and this took me to BTH near Subash bose park. From there to Container road toll plaza. No hiccup, the Fastag read real quick and I was out in less than 10 seconds. No traffic in the roads and again the pain area of Paliyekkara toll plaza reached. Easily took 25 minutes to cross this plaza and never expected thing happened. I usually check the Google maps for traffic at Kuthiran. This time I missed it as I thought there will not be any blocks due to good roads. When I was nearing Kuthiran Google maps said "Congestion ahead!" and there was big traffic block. Took 45 minutes to cross this. Not sure why the block was. Overall, very bad journey when returning. I guess some road widening work is going on in this area since the tunnel is not going to be opened.
Paliyekkara toll is a cursed toll and do not think this will recover anytime soon. Expect traffic jams at this toll plaza. Always better to take the "Fastag Express" lane, the one marked in Orange.

I again admire the solid and wide roads TN has.
deemash is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2020, 15:15   #12384
BHPian

Folks,

I request for advice from this group on the best route from Kozhikode to Coonoor. Google says the following:
Option 1: Kozhikode - Nilambur - Gudalur - Ooty - Coonoor
Option 2: Kozhikode - Perintalmanna - Attapadi - Mettupalayam - Coonoor
I presume the first one would be more scenic and therefore more inclined to take the same. However, any recent experiences with regard to road conditions would greatly help.

Thanks in advance
Rahulb22
Old 1st January 2020, 17:31   #12385
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulb22 View Post
Folks,

I request for advice from this group on the best route from Kozhikode to Coonoor. Google says the following:
I presume the first one would be more scenic and therefore more inclined to take the same. However, any recent experiences with regard to road conditions would greatly help.

Thanks in advance
Rahulb22
Definitely the first option. Only thing to check is the status of Nadugani ghats between Nilambur and Gudalur. It had been closed for repairs but I think is now open.

An alternate route in my opinion would be through Wayanad. Vythiri-meppadi- devala-gudalur.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2020, 17:45   #12386
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
An alternate route in my opinion would be through Wayanad. Vythiri-meppadi- devala-gudalur.
Is there a route via Bathery also ? Bathery-Gudalur-Ooty-Coonoor ? I remember a friend mentioning he used to take that on his Calicut-Ooty trips since roads were better.
NPV is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st January 2020, 17:52   #12387
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Is there a route via Bathery also ? Bathery-Gudalur-Ooty-Coonoor ? I remember a friend mentioning he used to take that on his Calicut-Ooty trips since roads were better.
Yes. Almost the same distance (May be ~10KM more).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
Fastag up and running on Coimbatore L&T bypass. All the intermediate tolls have Fastag too. Initially an amount of 17 is deducted and when you cross the final toll an amount of 28 is further deducted.

Good to hear about this update. Taking the 45 rupee toll and reproducing it at all the other 6 toll gates on this stretch was a real pain. previously they used to read the toll ticket through the window glass. Last time, had to open the windows at all booths and stretch out for the scanner to read the ticket.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 1st January 2020 at 19:21. Reason: Merged back to back posts.
Sree73 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2020, 20:26   #12388
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulb22 View Post
I think in most cases option 1 is the right choice. I took a look at Google Maps, your option 2 is routing you through Anaikatti and Mettupalayam to Coonoor and not via Mulli-Manjoor. That makes it quite less desirable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Is there a route via Bathery also ? Bathery-Gudalur-Ooty-Coonoor ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Once upon a time there were two Kerala SHs between Calicut & Gudalur - via Nilambur and via Vythiri. Rajeev I believe is suggesting the latter. It turns off the present-day NH 766 at Chundale (a few km shy of Kalpetta); the two merge at Nadugani.

There are two more roads deviating off NH 766, one at Meenangadi and the other inside Sulthan Bathery town (both signposted nicely) that merge and join the road coming from Mysore at Gudalur (a bit before the main signal where you go straight to Ooty or right to Calicut; there's a roundabout here).
binand is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 1st January 2020, 22:53   #12389
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
There are two more roads deviating off NH 766, one at Meenangadi and the other inside Sulthan Bathery town (both signposted nicely) that merge and join the road coming from Mysore at Gudalur (a bit before the main signal where you go straight to Ooty or right to Calicut; there's a roundabout here).

I do remember folks commenting mostly about the route via Meppadi. (Vythri-Meppadi-Nadugani).

Dont know much about the Bathery-Gudalur route. The Meppadi route is the one which more often is taken if I remember right.

But good to find out the latest status.

Last edited by ampere : 1st January 2020 at 23:16.
Old 1st January 2020, 23:24   #12390
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Dont know much about the Bathery-Gudalur route. The Meppadi route is the one which more often is taken if I remember right.
I have family in Ambalavayal, so I've been through these roads.

The Chundale-Meppadi road was in shambles some time back, the local press had extensively covered it.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks