Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2020, 10:46   #12466

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post
Kinda agree with him. I travel between Coimbatore and Ernakulam every week. We already pay tolls at the L&T by-pass, Walayar and the pathetically inefficient Paliyekkara. The stretch passing through Vadakkenchery all the way to Mannuthi are no where near completion, including the Kuthiran tunnel. Absolutely no reason to collect tolls in this situation. Let work progress some more, atleast the tunnel and a couple of fly-overs and then they can start collecting tolls.
I thought completion of 70% work allows them to collect toll, country wide. In my opinion, toll collection is required to ensure cash flows and hence completion/maintenance of the project. May be a mid path can be adopted, say 50% toll till the work is completed. Paying some toll and thereby some progress is better than leaving the project in current state endlessly.
Old 8th March 2020, 11:59   #12467
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by george.joe View Post
I thought completion of 70% work allows them to collect toll, country wide. In my opinion, toll collection is required to ensure cash flows and hence completion/maintenance of the project.
The question is, 70% of what? The toll concession company will claim it is 70% of project cost spent. In many cases what we see is that the basic road is constructed and toll collection is started claiming this 70% threshold has been met. Then the promised service roads, under/over passes, interchanges/junctions, amenities like toilets, bus bays & lay-bys, bypasses etc. are never built; the toll company is happy just collecting the toll amount and never handling a bag of cement again.

The cash flow is a specious argument. Since toll revenue is guaranteed and inflation-indexed and traffic projections can only err on the side of caution, as long as the concessionaire maintains books properly lenders will queue up.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2020, 17:54   #12468
BHPian

Recently my car was pulled by the automated control system for over speeding. It was at Kodungalloor lane 1, I understand this should be the mini bypass between Kodungalloor and thrissur, and has many signals. My car was pictured clocking 77 kmph, and penalty is 1500 INR. Is this amount as per new revised penalty structure or for multiple counts? With it being impossible to tell which part of the road is a taluk road or highway or corporation road, what is the practical guidance to drive in a state highway in Kerala?
Old 8th March 2020, 20:09   #12469
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopa99 View Post
Recently my car was pulled by the automated control system for over speeding. It was at Kodungalloor lane 1, I understand this should be the mini bypass between Kodungalloor and thrissur, and has many signals. My car was pictured clocking 77 kmph, and penalty is 1500 INR. Is this amount as per new revised penalty structure or for multiple counts? With it being impossible to tell which part of the road is a taluk road or highway or corporation road, what is the practical guidance to drive in a state highway in Kerala?

Hi, When you mean automated control system for speeding I am guessing you are referring to fixed speed cameras. From what I know there are just three blanket speed limits applicable across Kerala. 120Km/hr on Expressway, 100 Km/hr on 4 lane or above divided highways and for rest of the roads 70 Km/hr. ( Note:- individual speed limits near schools etc. can be found out from boards on location). I am also attaching speed notification defining speed limits and list of fines ( including amounts ) as pdf. To verify the Rs. 1500, Please look at the section you are booked for and check the appropriate section's fine in the pdf. Rs. 1500 seems to be new penalty structure as old over speeding fines I have heard of were in the range of Rs. 300 and Rs. 400.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf GOP30_2019_trans.pdf (408.6 KB, 370 views)
File Type: pdf speed_notification.pdf (1.71 MB, 109 views)
The Mechanic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2020, 20:24   #12470
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My car was pictured clocking 77 kmph, and penalty is 1500 INR. Is this amount as per new revised penalty structure or for multiple counts?
The Rs. 1500 is the fine for a single instance. Refer to this gazette notification:

https://mvd.kerala.gov.in/images/mvd...2019_trans.pdf

(Section 183(1)(i) deals with overspeeding of cars)

Quote:
With it being impossible to tell which part of the road is a taluk road or highway or corporation road, what is the practical guidance to drive in a state highway in Kerala?
If you are driving along the NH/SH/MDRs of coastal/mid Kerala, it is very rare to be on sections that don't fall under "Within Corporation/Municipality limits" and therefore aren't under the 50 kmph limit.

The other day I checked for my route - Walayar to Ernakulam - and it emerged that once I'm down from Kuthiran, I'm within a municipality or corporation practically all the way till Kochi.

Kerala speed limits: https://mvd.kerala.gov.in/index.php/...2014/91-14.pdf
Old 8th March 2020, 20:45   #12471
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post

If you are driving along the NH/SH/MDRs of coastal/mid Kerala, it is very rare to be on sections that don't fall under "Within Corporation/Municipality limits" and therefore aren't under the 50 kmph limit.

The other day I checked for my route - Walayar to Ernakulam - and it emerged that once I'm down from Kuthiran, I'm within a municipality or corporation practically all the way till Kochi.

From what I know of these are old speed limits. The one I have attached as pdf in the above post are new limits. From your link you can do 85Km/Hr on a national highway but if you do that on regular two lane national highways in Kerala you will be booked for over-speeding.

My neighbor was booked for speeds less than 80 but was over 70Km/hr on NH 183 ( K K Road to be specific ) and was told that according to new MoRTH notification:- S O 1522 (E) dated 06-04-2018 the speed limit on the road is reduced to 70Km/Hr. Do note that he was booked by speed interceptor vehicle and not fixed cameras and hence he paid fine on the spot.This was few months back and I don't remember the exact amount he paid but it was less than Rs. 1500.

Please refer to following link:- https://mvd.kerala.gov.in/index.php/...s#central-govt

Last edited by The Mechanic : 8th March 2020 at 21:08. Reason: misspelled if as of
Old 9th March 2020, 07:58   #12472
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mechanic View Post
From what I know of these are old speed limits. The one I have attached as pdf in the above post are new limits.
These limits are not applicable in Kerala, because Kerala chose to not implement them. Therefore the previous limits (link in earlier post) are used.

https://www.mathrubhumi.com/auto/new...peed-1.2748753 (in Malayalam)

Anyway the point was that in coastal/western/mid Kerala, you are more often than not within some corporation or municipality limits especially when on highways so it is best to stick to the speed limit applicable to these areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mechanic View Post
My neighbor [...]
Old 9th March 2020, 09:31   #12473
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post

So what does this mean ? what is the speed limit between :
1. mannuthy <-> kuthiran
2. mannuthy <-> kochi 4 lane
3. all the junctions and signals (when they are green) in 2 above.

What would the MVD department impose as the limit, if its a 4-L national highway, thats winding and climbing (like a ghat section) and has a school on the service road ? 30 ? 45 ? 85 ? 90 ?
Old 9th March 2020, 10:24   #12474
BHPian

Quote:
Others have already answered your query related to the amount of fine. One quick question though. I see your location is Bangalore, so is your vehicle KL registered?

Reason I am asking this is, this automated challan system seems to only impacting KL vehicles. I regularly take the Walayar - Kuthiran route (with numerous speed cams), but never have received any violations (saying this because I am aware that I have been over the limits many times ). My vehicle is KA registered.
Repsol is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2020, 10:39   #12475
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
So what does this mean ? what is the speed limit between :
1. mannuthy <-> kuthiran
2. mannuthy <-> kochi 4 lane
3. all the junctions and signals (when they are green) in 2 above.
Mannuthi-Pattikkad-Kuthiran is under construction with detours, so limits are locally determined by the local transport commissioner I guess. If it is completed then the 90 kmph limit should apply, except except maybe the ghat section. The tunnels when completed would have their own limits.

Mannuthi-Kochi as mentioned previously, has the Thrissur and Kochi corporations at the ends and passes through Chalakudy, Ankamali, Aluva and Kalamassery municipalities. Even if these are sections outside of these, those would be so short that you might not even get a chance to speed up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
What would the MVD department impose as the limit, if its a 4-L national highway, thats winding and climbing (like a ghat section) and has a school on the service road
This is common sense, no? That the lowest of the limits would prevail?

Service road constraints aren't supposed to affect things on the main carriageway (that is the purpose of the service road). So a school on the service road shouldn't affect the speed limit on the highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repsol View Post
I regularly take the Walayar - Kuthiran route (with numerous speed cams), but never have received any violations.
Same here. There was an interview with the transport minister in which he expressed inability to trace and send challans to out of state vehicles. They were hoping the migration to the Vahan/Sarathi system would ease this.

In Bangalore of course, they extract all pending fines from you any time they catch you on the road.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2020, 10:48   #12476
Senior - BHPian

The speed limit in all 4 lane national highway roads within Kerala has now been increased to 100 kmph.
AMG Power is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2020, 12:03   #12477
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I regularly take the Walayar - Kuthiran route (with numerous speed cams), but never have received any violations (saying this because I am aware that I have been over the limits many times ). My vehicle is KA registered.
Same in my case, and the simple reason being we are using non Kerala registered vehicle. But soon this may change with introduction of the central system, let us enjoy the privilege till then
gadadhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2020, 12:11   #12478
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
Same in my case, and the simple reason being we are using non Kerala registered vehicle. But soon this may change with introduction of the central system, let us enjoy the privilege till then
Yes right, but then please be careful too, as you never know when they decide to place an interceptor vehicle as a surprise. That won't spare us
Repsol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2020, 12:12   #12479
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
The speed limit in all 4 lane national highway roads within Kerala has now been increased to 100 kmph.
Thanks for the info. Could you please share the source of this information?
Old 9th March 2020, 12:20   #12480
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes right, but then please be careful too, as you never know when they decide to place an interceptor vehicle as a surprise. That won't spare us
I haven't seen them in action on the stretch between Walayar and Ernakulam.

I got chellan twice from interceptor while in Kerala with KA vehicle, one was on Pattambi Shornur stretch and the other on Kothamangalam Adimaly route

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks