Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2020, 15:10   #12721
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by deemash View Post
Is KL address mandatory to apply domestic returnees pass? (https://covid19jagratha.kerala.nic.in/home/addDomestic)
No. KL address is not mandatory. My brother in-law who has a Bangalore address got the acknowledgement from CovidJagrata site and was able to travel last month.
mpksuhas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2020, 23:34   #12722
BHPian

We're planning to drive from Bangalore to Trivandrum (Vellayambalam) in a week or two. Which is the best route considering covid restriction, checkpost experiences etc?

I've heard options b/w Nagercoil and walayar. But Google maps shows me an even shorter route via Salem - - > Madurai - - > Vellayambalam.
Which of these three is the best option?
Old 30th August 2020, 09:49   #12723
pms
BHPian

As per Unlock 4.0 rules Central govt has re-iterated no regulations for interstate travel, HQ and state govts has to comply by it. I think post this, registrations and approvals are not required on the jagratha portal to travel to KL.
Old 30th August 2020, 16:37   #12724
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pms View Post
As per Unlock 4.0 rules Central govt has re-iterated no regulations for interstate travel, HQ and state govts has to comply by it. I think post this, registrations and approvals are not required on the jagratha portal to travel to KL.
Did they mention anything about HQ? I don’t think they did. They did say that free movement should be allowed but that’s continuing from last time.
Garth is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2020, 17:24   #12725
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Letter written by chief secretary govt of india, directing states and UTs about the 'relaxations' vide Unlock 4.0 is doing the rounds all over social media. It is clearly mentioned no travel restriction and no requirement for taking permission for crossing state borders with any registration or e-pass.

Who is making sure that this is being followed ? Last I heard, KL and TN are still insisting on registration/passes. One friend who was returning from KL to blore through TN was stopped at first entry into TN, made to apply for TN transit pass (which took 45mins of waiting for e-approval) and then let go. Every district he crossed, required getting out and entering details in some ledger. Who is held accountable if this process of getting in-n-out too many times, imparts corona ?
venkyhere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2020, 09:39   #12726
pms
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garth View Post
Did they mention anything about HQ? I don’t think they did. They did say that free movement should be allowed but that’s continuing from last time.
You are right, there is no specific mention about HQ. But free travel across states without any registration, presumed HQ will be relaxed and unmonitored. Will have to wait and see from the recent travellers. Am planning to drive down third week of Sep for a week, hopefully it gets relaxed by that time.
Old 31st August 2020, 12:12   #12727
BHPian

Actually the same rule was there since unlock 3.0. Infact states were implementing permits off their own accord. That’s why the central govt came with it’s diktat around August 23 asking states to relax things. Till now things haven’t changed much except for Karnataka removing most travel restrictions. Seems TN also a epass is required as yesterday’s order mentioned an epass (auto approval) is needed for travels from other states. No epass needed for inter district travel within TN. Kerala no need yet so I think it’s status quo.

Let’s see how it pans out.
Old 31st August 2020, 14:02   #12728
BHPian

Can anyone give any idea on the status of the road from Kasargod to say Pattambi?

This would be my 2nd road trip from Pune to Kerala. In the earlier one i had to reach Kochi and the route suggested was the one that passed Salem and all so it was all the way National Highways.

This time however I have to go to Pattambi and Google suggests that the coastal route is better. This means that after Belgaum, it turns towards Gokarna and then Mangalore, Kasaragod, Kannur, Kozhikode and eventually to Pattambi.

From my last research i remember regular BHPians on this route complaining about pathetic road conditions once you hit Kerala near Kasaragod.

Anyone has any idea on the road from Kasaragod to Kannur to Kozhikode to Pattambi? I would be traveling anywhere between 10th to 12th September.
Old 31st August 2020, 18:03   #12729
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashwin Morey View Post
Can anyone give any idea on the status of the road from Kasargod to say Pattambi?

This would be my 2nd road trip from Pune to Kerala. In the earlier one i had to reach Kochi and the route suggested was the one that passed Salem and all so it was all the way National Highways.

This time however I have to go to Pattambi and Google suggests that the coastal route is better. This means that after Belgaum, it turns towards Gokarna and then Mangalore, Kasaragod, Kannur, Kozhikode and eventually to Pattambi.

From my last research i remember regular BHPians on this route complaining about pathetic road conditions once you hit Kerala near Kasaragod.

Anyone has any idea on the road from Kasaragod to Kannur to Kozhikode to Pattambi? I would be traveling anywhere between 10th to 12th September.
Can't answer your actual Q, but just want to make sure that you are already aware that the fastest, smoothest and stress-free stretch, by a huge margin, is the NH-4lane-till-palakkad-then-excellent 2L highway till kolappulli-take-right-to-pattambi.
Old 31st August 2020, 18:17   #12730
Senior - BHPian

Agree with venkyhere. But due to COVID related travel restrictions, is there a chance that there is lesser traffic on the road and thereby reducing stress?

I am sure you will save some distance - but not sure about the time saving part. BTW, the better alternate was go till Hubli by-pass, take Karwar Road to Ankola via Yellapur and onwards to Mangalore. (Route from Belgaum to Yellapur is via Haliyal; Belgaum to Dandeli road is supposed to be better now read a post about somebody travelling on this route pretty recently). Moderator Ampere may have some idea about this.

Haven't done Mangalore -> Kozhikode trip for more than three years now. Good way to learn patience and overcome one's urge to floor the accelerator. Usually, post rains, the road conditions turn pretty bad.

Last edited by vrprabhu : 31st August 2020 at 18:24.
Old 31st August 2020, 21:21   #12731
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post
BTW, the better alternate was go till Hubli by-pass, take Karwar Road to Ankola via Yellapur and onwards to Mangalore. (Route from Belgaum to Yellapur is via Haliyal; Belgaum to Dandeli road is supposed to be better now read a post about somebody travelling on this route pretty recently).
Google Maps is alternating between 2 routes - Mostly it is showing a coastal route which is taking the same route that you mention i.e. Hubli By-pass to Ankola via Yellapur to Gokarna to Murudeshawar to Mangalore and then Kozhikode to Kannur to Pattambi.

The other route that Google suggests is Hubli-Davengere-Kadur-Hassan and then ultimately going through the entire Nagarhole National Park & Tiger Reserve and then coming onto Malappuram in Kerala.

I don't think I will be taking this route though because if i start in morning in Pune then i will be in the national park bang in the middle of the night and I don't think I would prefer that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
just want to make sure that you are already aware that the fastest, smoothest and stress-free stretch, by a huge margin, is the NH-4lane-till-palakkad-then-excellent 2L highway till kolappulli-take-right-to-pattambi.
When i traveled from Pune to Kochi back in Dec 18, the route i took was the one that took me through Davengere-Chitradurga-Tumkur-Coimbatore-Palakkad-Thrissur. Are you referring to this one?

I agree that in terms of road conditions and safety it would be one of the best. However that also means that I cross Karnataka, TN and then Kerala. Whereas the coastal route coming via Mangalore means that I directly come to Kerala from Karnataka.

I do remember a lot many BHPians saying that the roads of Kerala are a shocker as soon as you enter from Kasargod. Also the traffic is a headache but I think that shouldn't be a concern because i would mostly cross the entire stretch in the dead of night.

Appreciate the insights.
Old 31st August 2020, 22:27   #12732
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I do remember a lot many BHPians saying that the roads of Kerala are a shocker as soon as you enter from Kasargod. Also the traffic is a headache but I think that shouldn't be a concern because i would mostly cross the entire stretch in the dead of night.
I can give some clue on Mangalore - Kasargod - Kannur - Calicut stretch as that is my native belt.

No, the road condition is not bad as soon as you enter Kasargod. Mangalore - Kasargod was notorius earlier but the roads are fixed now. I am sure you know that this is a full and full single carriage way even though it is an NH. You will be shocked to see how narrow a NH can be if you have already not learnt about that. Traffic wise, yes again, in the past it was notorious with nightmarish blocks around Kannur - Calicut stretch. But in the current situation, with buses off the road, there is significant reduction in the traffic, but expect some. Overall, this can be the preferred route for you. And roads are a breeze 4/6 lane till Mangalore and until Talapady toll plaza (KL border)
Old 1st September 2020, 13:31   #12733
BHPian

Quote:

A friend of mine drove from Mumbai to Calicut on 28th Aug in 19 hours. As per him, coastal Karnataka roads are a breeze... no problem at all. However, once you cross the border, the roads are pathetic with tons of potholes. And if it is raining when you are on this stretch, it can become even worse.
Sandy28 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2020, 14:18   #12734
ike
BHPian

Quote:

It's always better to drive as less as possible within Kerala. The route via Bangalore - Salem will be a relaxed drive till palakkad and only the final lap will be undivided single lane roads.

As others have pointed out, Kasargod - Calicut means driving on a single lane road with heavy traffic.
ike is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2020, 15:51   #12735
BHPian

Friends,

Are there any updates on the e-pass system from KL government?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks