Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2021, 08:17   #13651
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Re: All Roads to Kerala

regarding L&T bypass, I didn't "notice" any construction equipment/dig-ups while passing through daybreak hours in north-south direction. I felt the surface was smoother than before, and there were no white markers anywhere. I guess that would mean that the construction activity is over and only cosmetics are left.
venkyhere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 09:06   #13652
BHPian

Thanks guys. One of my friends who travelled a couple of weeks back, maybe 3 told me of the work happening on the stretch. Maybe it’s done now.

I will post an update on road conditions after I have completed the journey.
Old 14th October 2021, 10:00   #13653
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garth View Post
Is there some work happening on the L&T bypass? Any updates on that front?
Travelled from Pathanamthitta, Kerala to Bengaluru via Ernakulam-Palakkad-Salem on 12th Oct and there’s work happening on the L&T bypass.

The right lane was blocked for construction and the incoming/ongoing traffic was allowed to use the left lane alternatively, every 10-15 minutes.

Latitude N 10° 59’ 51.70”
Longitude E 77° 3’ 46.87”

(10.9975000, 77.0627778)

The block started near that point (I took a photo for reference and got the coordinates from that).

It took around 30 minutes to reach the other end of the bypass from that point (during day, 3-4pm).
robincsamuel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 11:19   #13654

Is there any updates on Kumily?
I was planning for Pathanamthitta - Blr. Initially thought of taking Pkd-Salem route. But with updates about construction at LT Bypass, and given the fact that Kumily route is at least 1 hour less travel, though winding roads, thinking about this option.
Any inputs on road condition as well as COVID checks at Kumily checkpost would be helpful.
Old 14th October 2021, 23:45   #13655
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varkey View Post
Is the TN ePass still mandatory to transit through TN? (will be travelling from Kochi to Bangalore via Palakkad -- Salem -- Hosur)

My wife and I are fully vaccinated, is that enough or do I really need to get the ePass too to transit?
Completed this trip today (Palakkad -- Salem -- Hosur -- Bangalore). Started from Perumbavoor at 5 AM and reached Silk Board at 2 PM with around 1 hour spend during stops (breakfast, tea, refreshments etc). KL registered vehicle.

There were absolutely zero checks for RT-PCR, ePass or vaccinations certs at any point during the entire trip. I had RT-PCR reports, TN ePass based on @pms 's suggestion and vaccination certificates with me just in case. At Walayar border, the highway was blocked and vehicles had to take the service road, but the check point was completely un-staffed. However, I could see vehicles towards Kerala being stopped and the officers collecting some details. At TN-KA border, what appeared to me as a shelter used as a check point was completely un-manned, there was just a lot of vehicles waiting at the toll plaza, took 5-10 min to cross that short stretch. With the number of vehicles passing, I don't think its practically feasible anyway to single out the KL vehicles and ask for RT-PCR or any docs.

Coming to the road conditions, I found it decent. There was road re-surfacing work going at a short stretch so vehicles in both directions were sharing one side of the highway. The overall delay due to that was less than 10 min. Also, there were over bridge construction work in 2-3 places and vehicles had to use the service road, but no traffic block or delays due to that.

Traffic was relatively much higher once we entered KA. And of-course the trip from Silk Board to my home was at a crawling pace along the Outer Ring Road.

OT Trivia - Total toll cost for a trip from Ernakulam to Bangalore came to Rs 760

All Roads to Kerala-screenshot-20211014-11.35.40-pm.png

Mod Note: Post Edited. Smiley usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please do NOT use more than 2 smileys in a post.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 15th October 2021 at 11:37.
varkey is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th October 2021, 08:46   #13656

Quote:
Originally Posted by george.joe View Post
Is there any updates on Kumily?
I was planning for Pathanamthitta - Blr. Initially thought of taking Pkd-Salem route. But with updates about construction at LT Bypass, and given the fact that Kumily route is at least 1 hour less travel, though winding roads, thinking about this option.
Any inputs on road condition as well as COVID checks at Kumily checkpost would be helpful.

I travelled via Kumily yesterday 13th Oct to Pandalam.
Road conditions are pretty good for almost all of the trip. The travel was a breeze except for some small irritants. There were some congestion at Karur for flyover constructions. In Dindigul- Kumily road there are a few bypass construction going on. There are absolutely no boards to warn it is either completed or not. Theni bypass is not completed so please take the town route. Cumbum bypass is completed though.
From Kumily the roads till Ranni are in excellent condition. Road widening is happening at Ranni-PTA road, so went via Kozhenchery Aranmula to Pandalam. May be you can try that for PTA too.

Regarding checks, we might have gotten lucky, no one stopped us either in TN or KL to check anything.
roshithr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2021, 11:33   #13657
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varkey View Post
There were absolutely zero checks for RT-PCR, ePass or vaccinations certs at any point during the entire trip. I had RT-PCR reports, TN ePass based on @pms 's suggestion and vaccination certificates with me just in case.
I had a very similar experience, same route, zero checks, unmanned shelters, etc. I too had RT-PCR and vaccination certificates with me but no e-passes as I wasn't able to figure out the right websites/passes.

Quote:
OT Trivia - Total toll cost for a trip from Ernakulam to Bangalore came to Rs 760
Thanks for sharing the statement. I searched for this before the travel and was planning to post the same once I settle down. My Fastag statement looks the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshithr View Post
I travelled via Kumily yesterday 13th Oct to Pandalam.
Can you share how long it took? I initially planned to take this route but changed my mind since the route was unfamiliar, including winding roads, and wasn't sure about good restaurants/washrooms (traveled with a baby).
robincsamuel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2021, 12:18   #13658

Quote:
Originally Posted by robincsamuel View Post
Can you share how long it took? I initially planned to take this route but changed my mind since the route was unfamiliar, including winding roads, and wasn't sure about good restaurants/washrooms (traveled with a baby).
We always take this route to and from Bangalore. It took me around 12-13 hours, started at 0430 and reached home around 1700 ish. Didn't try to rush anywhere, maintained around 100-110 on highway. After Dindigul roads are beautiful and scenic, but there are many small towns to cross. Yes, there won't be huge and popular restaurant like you get on bigger highways, but there are many good, decent places to stop. We stopped at Karur for breakfast and stopped at a few random roadside shops for snacks and tea. The drive was amazing with a couple of small waterfalls and many valley views to stop and take pics.
roshithr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2021, 17:57   #13659
BHPian

I completed the Bangalore to Ernakulam trip today. Road conditions were generally good. Just a small stretch at L&T by pass was under construction. Didn’t take more than 2 mins of stoppage. Some minor irritants here and there, but generally good driving conditions.

And as usual the irritating and unscientific speed limits once you enter Kerala. At on stretch the speed limit is 30 on a newly laid tarmac on a flyover. And as soon as the fly over finishes it’s 60 and road conditions turn bad. Seriously someone should pay with his job for such arrogance and unscientific decisions. Rant over.
Garth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2021, 08:25   #13660
can

Any new update on RT PCR checking at Walayar or Attibele while traveling from Kerala to Bangalore?
Old 16th October 2021, 13:01   #13661

Quote:
Originally Posted by can View Post
Any new update on RT PCR checking at Walayar or Attibele while traveling from Kerala to Bangalore?
Travelled on 15th Oct. No checks at Walayar or at Attibele. At Walayar though, there were officials and those vehicles volunteering to stop in front of them found re-starting in a minute or so. No one is stopping any vehicles. Not sure if this is due to festival and less people to manage checking.

Other updates:
LT bypass road relaying in progress. For around 500 mtrs, was directed off road. Delayed almost 10 mins to this. On a busy day, this stretch is likely to delay travel considerably.
Generally toll road conditions are good. Though can't say the same about city roads once you enter Blr. Most of the small roads are in pathetic conditions.
george.joe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2021, 18:05   #13662

Folks, Supposed to drive to Bangalore from Alapuzha tommorow morning - Sunday . hearing about water logging and rain challenges across. is it safe? any inputs on blockages esp Kochi , Kuthiran stretch and Palakkad ?
meconi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2021, 16:30   #13663
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garth View Post
I completed the Bangalore to Ernakulam trip today.
Were the cops stopping vehicles for checking for passes?

We intend to travel tomorrow, I made the pass on the portal but did not receive the SMS nor am I able to download the pass from the portal. Have taken a screenshot of the page if they bother with it. We have the final vaccination certificate in any case.
Old 21st October 2021, 18:30   #13664
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Update as on 5:40pm today. I asked the cops what to do in case of jagratha not generating the sms. They said that we can pass through if we have the covid certificate alone also. On this subject. The jagratha portal does act up often. But does come back online a few hours later. If I am not wrong you should be able to get otp and other sms now from the portal.(I checked just now and i was getting the sms without delay)

A bit more of an update below.

If it is raining as heavily as it was today, they would not even be stopping the cars. They were all inside the tent today unable to step out due to the heavy rain.

On the subject of rains, it was sunny all day today. Only towards evening did the rains start, but by God they were heavy rains. Wishing you a safe drive. Please be careful.

The road conditions are ok for now. Coimbatore side has patched up all the holes. Be mindful of a barrier set up just before the huge nandhi temple near Walayar. It is blocking the right side lane. Was difficult to spot in the rains.

Roads inside Kerala are not patched up. The worst section is the signal near kurudikad.
rohitoasis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2021, 07:05   #13665
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Yes. They did stop. Just asked us if we have any of EPA’s, vax cert, or rt-PCR. We had the docs in our hand, but he didn’t even look at those. Just waved us on as soon ACE said we have those.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 22nd October 2021 at 09:08. Reason: Fixing broken quote. Thanks for the response man.
Garth is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks