Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2022, 18:58   #13861
BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Gentlemen, allow me to report and additional hassle that you may encounter while crossing tamilnadu over the next few days.

Yesterday at the L&T bypass toll near Madukarrai, in the direction towards Kerala, I saw few cars stopped by police. They looked to be Kerala registration mostly. I could not gather the reason why they were stopped.

Today also i saw quite a few cars there. This time mostly Karnataka registration. I looked at them inquisitively and was promptly stopped. So the deal is That Tamilnadu local body elections are coming soon and checks are being initiated for that. I asked them when the elections were and if checks would be there till then. I was made to understand the elections are on 19th and yes there will be checks till then. I would also like to report that i saw few cars zooming by without stopping. Anyway do anticipate delay on account of these checks in your trip timeline. Please be wary of carrying excessive cash if commuting in this period
rohitoasis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2022, 19:02   #13862
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitoasis View Post
Anyway do anticipate delay on account of these checks in your trip timeline. Please be wary of carrying excessive cash if commuting in this period
These are routine event in Tamil Nadu to curb black money and related matters that spike during election time. Usually they will do a quick scan/check and let you go, especially if you are with family.
Old 3rd February 2022, 15:17   #13863

For travelling to Bangalore from Kerala, is it mandatory to have a negative RTPCR report? The entry would be through TN (Attibele)
Old 3rd February 2022, 16:38   #13864
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by confortablynumb View Post
For travelling to Bangalore from Kerala, is it mandatory to have a negative RTPCR report? The entry would be through TN (Attibele)
Yes, you need negative RTPCR. But they will not stop you if you are in a KA car.
Old 3rd February 2022, 19:15   #13865
BHPian

Hello all,

We are planning a drive down to Thrissur from Mangalore... I know, I know. We shouldn't even think about it. But circumstances are unavoidable

Are there any tips, in terms of the route or otherwise (in terms of the process at the border) which could help make the trip a little easier for all involved?

My parents will be there too... and I was hoping to find a way other than the dreaded stretch near Kottakal. Is a detour through Tirur a calmer option?
Old 3rd February 2022, 19:29   #13866
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kung_foo_fanta View Post
and I was hoping to find a way other than the dreaded stretch near Kottakal. Is a detour through Tirur a calmer option?
You are worrying about the high tide while ignoring the tsunami that is Kannur-Kozhikode.

The detour through Tirur might be advisable if your journey starts from Kozhikode. If you are passing through (ie, taking the bypass) then the detour does not make sense at all.

I would suggest looking at an overnight train, though.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2022, 19:40   #13867
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
You are worrying about the high tide while ignoring the tsunami that is Kannur-Kozhikode.
Oh right. Thank you.
Unfortunately, I am not that well-versed with the route as we are primarily based in Dubai. Hence, the worry about the high tide and the ignorance of the tsunami

Like I mentioned, unfortunately, we don't have any other option other than to drive down. Beyond the route Google Maps provides, any other detours or suggestions, perhaps regarding the best time to avoid at least a part of the tsunami?
Old 3rd February 2022, 19:53   #13868
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Beyond the route Google Maps provides, any other detours or suggestions, perhaps regarding the best time to avoid at least a part of the tsunami?
Just stick to this route.

There is no avoidance of Kerala's traffic - unless you are OK driving overnight. Remember that almost the entirety of this 350+ km journey will be via single carriageway roads.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 09:00   #13869
BHPian

Is RTPCR checking still being enforced at Attibelle while travelling to Bangalore from Kochi in a KL registered vehicle? If you do not have an RTPCR, do they send you back?
Old 4th February 2022, 09:25   #13870
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Like I mentioned, unfortunately, we don't have any other option other than to drive down. Beyond the route Google Maps provides, any other detours or suggestions, perhaps regarding the best time to avoid at least a part of the tsunami?
As Binand said, this is the best route and it is hard to avoid traffic on this stretch. One option could be to start by 4.30-5AM or so and try to cover up the Mangalore-Telicherry-Vadakara-Koyilandy stretch before peak hour. The worst stretch in the entire route would be Kannur-Koyilandy. Rest I feel is manageable by being patient and curb the urge to floor down the pedal except for tight overtakes !
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 11:43   #13871
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varkey View Post
Is RTPCR checking still being enforced at Attibelle while travelling to Bangalore from Kochi in a KL registered vehicle? If you do not have an RTPCR, do they send you back?
As of 21-Jan, they were stopping KL vehicles, I am assuming they still do.
If you happen to be travelling without RTPCR you can take Hosur - Bagalur - Sarjapura route to avoid Attibele.

Folks here who frequently travel to Hosur and back with KL plate take this route.
vinodmk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 12:39   #13872
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodmk View Post
As of 21-Jan, they were stopping KL vehicles, I am assuming they still do.
If you happen to be travelling without RTPCR you can take Hosur - Bagalur - Sarjapura route to avoid Attibele.

Folks here who frequently travel to Hosur and back with KL plate take this route.
Thank you. This is good information. I'll try that route this time, I need to go towards Banaswadi anyway so that route is not much of a deviation for me. I have never travelled through those areas before so it would be good to explore as well.

I need to travel tomorrow and I don't have time today to go for an RT-PCR test today.
Old 4th February 2022, 15:01   #13873
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varkey View Post

I need to travel tomorrow and I don't have time today to go for an RT-PCR test today.
Dear BHP-ians,

If you are travelling on this route please do update here about the checking (e-pass, RTPCR etc).

I am travelling to Cherai on 12th Feb. Since this is my first interstate travel post Covid a little unsure about the new travel rules. Google maps shows this route:

Bangalore - Hosur - Dharmapuri - Salem - Coimbatore - Palakkad - Thrissur - Cherai.

If I follow this route will enter TN through Attibelle and enter KL through Walayar. Plan to take the same route while travelling back.

Appreciate your help. If there is a better route available for Bangalore - Cherai do mention that as well.
Old 4th February 2022, 19:23   #13874
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adutta2k View Post

Bangalore - Hosur - Dharmapuri - Salem - Coimbatore - Palakkad - Thrissur - Cherai.

Appreciate your help. If there is a better route available for Bangalore - Cherai do mention that as well.
The route you have mentioned is the best one. Be aware that Salem, Coimbatore, Palakkad, Thrissur cities are bypassed(Google will be usually routing you through the respective bypasses, so no worries).

For the last stretch Thrissur bypass - Cherai, I see a possibility that, google may route you through inner roads to save some kms, via Mala etc., but those are usually narrow and busy inner roads. If you are not familiar with this area, your best option is to stick to NH 544 all the way till Paravur Jn. at Aluva via Chalakkudy, Ankamaly. Take right turn from NH 544 at Aluva(known as Paravur Jn.), pass North Paravur town and reach Cherai.

Another option is right turn at Athani junction after Ankamaly, reach Paravur via Manjali and proceed to Cherai.

But, the best would be sticking to 544 all the way till Paravur junction at Aluva.

Have a nice drive!
MSAneesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th February 2022, 14:44   #13875
Distinguished - BHPian

Drove Bangalore Calicut via Kanakpura, Mysore, Bandipur, Wayanad today. No Covid related checks when entering Kerala. But was stopped at the excise checkpost and asked to get down for a full car search. But then they noticed we were a family with a kid and asked us to proceed. Apparently drug related issues on the rise and hence stricter checks being enforced. All cars were being stopped.

Most Viewed