Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2022, 10:09   #13981
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by EV NXT View Post
Probably because its Easter and a lot of folks may chose to travel back tomorrow.
Guess the traffic density begins to pick up towards the evening, when such long weekends come to a close. Mornings are less busy.
adisan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2022, 04:43   #13982
BHPian

Returned back to Bangalore from Thrissur yesterday (17th Apr). Very less traffic. Started at 7:10 and reached 3:15 with a 30 minute break for lunch at Salem.

At Krishnagiri, a truck had run into the divider and entire road towards Salem was blocked. That traffic was diverted into the other side (towards Bangalore) making it a two way. Somehow escaped without much trouble.

Peacocks are regular visitors at home. A pride of 6 are always seen on field/rooftop.
Attached Thumbnails
All Roads to Kerala-img20220416175055__01.jpg  

All Roads to Kerala-img20220410075850__01.jpg  

Last edited by Sree73 : 18th April 2022 at 04:56.
Sree73 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2022, 15:37   #13983
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Please mention a few. For long those of us who used to do Bangalore-Calicut via Chamarajanagar used to lament the lack of any decent food options along this route. We only had a Nijaguna (whose food was terrible IMO) for a long time.
Not sure about the condition of the food options there. I remember seeing quite a few hotels. While traveling, we always used to push towards Mysore for food. I mentioned the place since OP posted that he is traveling with a kid.

A quick google search shows some options, not too sure about their quality though.
Old 18th April 2022, 17:15   #13984
BHPian

Ruchi sagar i had tried years back and it was good
https://goo.gl/maps/m2ea57H1aaSKjcAz8
+ its on the highway. but i am not sure about its restroom condition

for restroom i had tried few pumps in chamarajanagar/kollegal and they were decent
Old 18th April 2022, 17:35   #13985
Senior - BHPian

Drove Tirur-Kozhikode-Bangalore (Jakkur) today morning via Chelari-Kozhikode bypass-Thondayad-Medical college-Kunnamangalam-Kalpetta-Bathery-Gundlupet-Mysore ORR- Srirangapatna-Pandavapura-Bellur Cross-Nelamangala-Hebbal.

Started at 6 AM and reached home at 3.30 with a 20-minute breakfast break at Mintflower, Bathery, and another 20-minute lunch break at Paakashala (Near Yediyur on NH75). Both places are highly recommended! Good food and decent service.
Thamarashery ghats had a lot of downhill traffic which slowed down progress overall. overtaking a heavy vehicle was tough due to continuous oncoming traffic. A tourist bus had broken down on the 8th hairpin bend and a pileup was beginning to build up. Fortunately, I was able to cross this under 10 minutes. Overall road conditions are excellent to good. As per fellow bhpian binand's advice took the Kalpetta town route instead of bypass.
sandsun7 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th April 2022, 09:13   #13986
BHPian

During the long recent long weekend, I made a long due trip to Kalady (Sri Adi Shankara Janmabhoomi Kshethram) for my mom. For my onward journey we planned to start by 4AM but eventually got going only at 4:45AM and reached Kalady at 13:40PM with a single breakfast stop for an hour at Aasai Aasai Anandha Bhavan Delight Omalur. I took the google maps suggested route out of Whitefield - Varthur - Sarjapur - Attibele - Hosur but changed it to Sarjapur Bagalur Hosur (GRT Jewellers) section to avoid joining the NH44 just before the attibele toll gate and to explore an alternate route. Having read the road condition already here on this forum, I was prepared but at the same time skeptical of what unknown may arise suddenly. The route from Sarjapur to Bagalur on KA side is less great than the TN side (NH 648) which seems freshly laid with well laid out lane markers and reflectors, smooth, can maintain good speeds as well since the traffic was sparse the time I took on this stretch. Bagalur - Hosur continue to be very good. Upon reaching NH44 found cars to be very impatient and a couple of them lacked simple manners to not cut others dangerously at metal barricades inspite of letting the indicators show my intent. These we so called "educated lot" who behaved very cheap. As per the guidance on team bhp, I kept my cool and let that guy win over me and enjoy few moments of achievement.

While I have started reading about Coimbatore bypass only recently since I started planning this trip, it is funny that it is still a single lane 44 kms long with 6 toll gates and with 3 traffic signals. Driving was not quite a challenge unlike the Hubli - Dharwad bypass which is narrower and demanding.

On my return I made an overnight halt at Guruvayur, had darshan the following day, a must visit to Punnathur Kotta for the kids and started only around 1PM. It rained a lot that evening between Avinashi and Erode first and then from Salem until Hosur with a 30 min jam at Omalur flyover works. Reached Whitefield at 12 midnight with a couple of halts totalling 1.5hrs for lunch and tea breaks.

I refilled only once at Indian Oil COCO Pump at Pongam, Kizhakkummuri. Turns out 18.5kmpl fuel efficiency on my 2021 Creta Diesel AT SX(O) on a tank full method.

Please note, the Dommasandra - Sarjpur section is better compared to its return counterpart as road works are on. I took this inspite of being aware as this was a small price compared to huge queues anticipated due to long weekend at Attibele and BETL toll gates on the return leg.
Awaz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2022, 01:07   #13987
BHPian

Friends which route is better for Munnar. Google maps shows two options after Salem. One via Erode and Tirrupur (seems shorter but slower) and another via Dindigul (longer but faster.
Old 21st April 2022, 08:24   #13988
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsroy View Post
Friends which route is better for Munnar. Google maps shows two options after Salem. One via Erode and Tirrupur (seems shorter but slower) and another via Dindigul (longer but faster.
You are better off asking in the dedicated Bangalore-Munnar thread (Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries), but I think the Tiruppur-Udumalpet and onwards to Kerala via Marayur border is the preferred route.
Old 21st April 2022, 19:43   #13989
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
You are better off asking in the dedicated Bangalore-Munnar thread (Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries), but I think the Tiruppur-Udumalpet and onwards to Kerala via Marayur border is the preferred route.
Thanks. I posted there and got some good pointers
Old 22nd April 2022, 19:18   #13990
BHPian

Gents i had previously updated about roadworks in NH-544 between walayar and Palakkad. Has been quite non intrusive in all the days till today. Today i experienced the worst between ITI Palakkad and next 6km stretch towards Palakkad. Inching traffic for the entire distance. If people want to bypass this stretch by taking velanthavalam chittur alathur route from Coimbatore, They can plan accordingly. (Of course only for people heading southwards). This should get solved in next week or so. So statement applies only for people travelling this weekend.
rohitoasis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2022, 00:02   #13991
BHPian

Guys, just wanted to confirm......is there any RT-PCR requirements for traveling to Kerala from Karnataka or vise-versa ?
Old 23rd April 2022, 07:39   #13992
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsroy View Post
Guys, just wanted to confirm......is there any RT-PCR requirements for traveling to Kerala from Karnataka or vise-versa ?
No..there are no such requirements currently.
Old 26th April 2022, 15:14   #13993
BHPian

What is the ideal route for Bangalore to Kalpetta? Google map shows Srirangapatnam-Hunsur-Gonikoppa-Kutta-Mananthwady route. I thought Mysore-Gundlupet-Sultan Bathery via Muthanga was the ideal route. Any suggestions pl on which route and road conditions?
Old 26th April 2022, 23:07   #13994
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy28 View Post
What is the ideal route for Bangalore to Kalpetta? Google map shows Srirangapatnam-Hunsur-Gonikoppa-Kutta-Mananthwady route. I thought Mysore-Gundlupet-Sultan Bathery via Muthanga was the ideal route. Any suggestions pl on which route and road conditions?
Mysore-Gundlupet-Sultan Bathery via Muthanga is indeed the best route. However, you may be aware that the road through Bandipur forest is closed between 9PM and 6PM and the Kutta route will be the backup option if you must drive in the night. Google maps is aware of the road closure and will show you the alternate route depending on which time of day you are searching (and I suspect is the reason why it showed you the alternate route).
satnan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 07:30   #13995
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satnan View Post
Mysore-Gundlupet-Sultan Bathery via Muthanga is indeed the best route. However, you may be aware that the road through Bandipur forest is closed between 9PM and 6PM and the Kutta route will be the backup option if you must drive in the night. Google maps is aware of the road closure and will show you the alternate route depending on which time of day you are searching (and I suspect is the reason why it showed you the alternate route).
Thanks Satnan. I had google searched in afternoon and so was confused why it was recommending Kutta route.
Any idea how is the Kanakpura route? I heard theres lot of road work on this route as well.
Thanks for sharing the forest timings. I thought it was till 4 am. Good to know it is 6 am.
Sandy28 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed