Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2022, 07:04   #14026
BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljai View Post
While travelling two days back from bangalore to kerala, noticed that all along the highway from walayar till right before kuthiran (the older four laned section), speed limit boards mentioning 50 as the limit have come up. Though the limit on four lane roads according to the mvd kerala website is 90, is there any notification modifying the limits on this stretch? Has anyone been fined yet for speeding over 50?
Yes, they send the Challan home if you get a speeding ticket. Even if it's an outstation registered vehicle - I guess RTO details are now centralized.

FWIW, you can see the speed cameras at regular intervals, mounted on overhead arches on the road. I saw many people slow down to less than 90 on reaching these, and then speed away once out of its range
PearlJam is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2022, 09:22   #14027
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJam View Post
Yes, they send the Challan home if you get a speeding ticket. Even if it's an outstation registered vehicle - I guess RTO details are now centralized.

FWIW, you can see the speed cameras at regular intervals, mounted on overhead arches on the road. I saw many people slow down to less than 90 on reaching these, and then speed away once out of its range
We can check challan (issued anywhere in India) on parvihan website by entering vehicle details
https://echallan.parivahan.gov.in/index/accused-challan

Someone I know has traveled to KL couple of times earlier and he found on this site, multiple challans against his car due to over speeding. In fact, it is in the tune of 15000 Rs and it shows that his car is blacklisted. Don't know what it means but my point is that speed limit checks are pretty serious in KL and we need to be alert.

Last edited by Aviator_guy : 15th May 2022 at 09:24.
Aviator_guy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th May 2022, 08:19   #14028
BHPian

Drove Bangalore-Thrissur (Friday) and Thrissur- Bangalore (Sunday). Most of the flyovers between Vijayamangalam toll plaza and start of 6 lane is scraped off for re-asphalting and there were no markers as it was night. Had to be careful for people braking suddenly. Due to multiple flyover construction and intense rain around Salem it was a mess. Traffic towards bangalore was much smoother though. Saw a huge pile up towards Salem on the Bangalore -Salem section before Omalur flyover construction point.
SUBRU is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2022, 10:11   #14029
Senior - BHPian

The condition of this highway is deteriorating fast. I fail to understand the huge number of diversions on this road after Salem. Why so many flyovers are being constructed now, where as the whole 4/6 laning from Salem-Coimbatore was completed few years back. Why didn't they plan the flyovers during the construction phase?

There are numerous speed breakers on this stretch with zig zag road blocks. Also there are multiple humps being set up from Hosur to Bangalore. All these are making this high way looking more and more like city roads permanently under construction. Are we paying close to 2Rs/km toll for this mess?
poloman is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2022, 10:56   #14030
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Why so many flyovers are being constructed now, where as the whole 4/6 laning from Salem-Coimbatore was completed few years back. Why didn't they plan the flyovers during the construction phase?
This is a (prudent) matter of spreading cost over several years rather than spending it all upfront. Had they built the road with 6 lanes and several dozen more flyovers the unit cost for the user (paid as toll) would have been a lot higher. These expansion projects are taken up now, after the traffic density has picked up, so that the unit cost can remain more or less the same.

Quote:
Also there are multiple humps being set up from Hosur to Bangalore. All these are making this high way looking more and more like city roads permanently under construction.
That section is a city road anyway. Bangalore's penchant for speedbreakers is not a secret at all.
binand is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2022, 17:19   #14031
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
This is a (prudent) matter of spreading cost over several years rather than spending it all upfront. Had they built the road with 6 lanes and several dozen more flyovers the unit cost for the user (paid as toll) would have been a lot higher. These expansion projects are taken up now, after the traffic density has picked up, so that the unit cost can remain more or less the same.

That section is a city road anyway. Bangalore's penchant for speedbreakers is not a secret at all.
So highways can be permanently under construction with diversions and people wasting time in jams? Don't see logic here. Every year cost of construction will go up exponentially as well. The toll anyway is going up every year.

I am paying around 2Rs/Km toll. So why should a sedate and responsible driver be penalized with roadblocks and humps on highways?
Old 17th May 2022, 17:36   #14032
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So highways can be permanently under construction with diversions and people wasting time in jams?
That's right. Not permanently perhaps (there will be periods of no activity after construction of one batch is completed).

Quote:
The toll anyway is going up every year.
Tolls go up for a different reason - the toll per km is contractually protected from inflation. If we were to build excess, expected-to-be-unused capacity upfront the toll amount would be a lot higher.

Quote:
I am paying around 2Rs/Km toll. So why should a sedate and responsible driver be penalized with roadblocks and humps on highways?
Personally speaking, I am willing to pay a lot more than that for the generally hassle-free drive I have going to Kerala. And in the days I wasn't, I used to take the various toll-avoidance roads available.
binand is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 17th May 2022, 20:03   #14033
ike
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
4. Coimbatore bypass: At the east end of the bypass avoid/ignore the exit ramp that goes into Coimbatore city. Note that this bypass of 28km is single carriageway and has 6 tollbooths.
Google maps used to always suggest taking this ramp towards the city and then take a byroad that takes you to the second toll booth. Not sure if that is the case now, I don't follow google maps in this stretch anymore.
Old 17th May 2022, 21:13   #14034
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike View Post
Google maps used to always suggest taking this ramp towards the city and then take a byroad that takes you to the second toll booth. Not sure if that is the case now, I don't follow google maps in this stretch anymore.
That allows you to skip the first of the six toll booths. I never used to bother because if there was a pileup in the first toll booth chances were that there would be in the remaining toll booths too. And now with Fastag functional on the bypass these sort of pileups are no longer seen.

(I have Google Maps on all the time; even if I'm going only down the road to the neighbourhood store. The traffic guidance is invaluable).
binand is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2022, 18:12   #14035

Route suggestion required - I am planning a vacation in the second week of June with any of the below 2 driving routes.

Option 1- Hyderabad - Goa - Gokarna - Sakleshpur - Bangaluru - Palakkad
Option 2 - Hyderabad - Bangaluru - Sakleshpur - Gokarna - Goa - Palakkad

Option 1 first leg and last leg, that's the most travelled and comfortable route for me. Wanted to explore option 2. Though the first leg is the most driven route by me, I am bit skeptical about the last leg between Mangaluru and Palakkad stretch. I have not driven till Kozhikkode in that route. With oncoming traffic and start of monsoon which option is best suggested?
Old 23rd May 2022, 18:33   #14036
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniams View Post

Option 1- Hyderabad - Goa - Gokarna - Sakleshpur - Bangaluru - Palakkad
Option 2 - Hyderabad - Bangaluru - Sakleshpur - Gokarna - Goa - Palakkad

Option 1 first leg and last leg, that's the most travelled and comfortable route for me. Wanted to explore option 2. Though the first leg is the most driven route by me, I am bit skeptical about the last leg between Mangaluru and Palakkad stretch. I have not driven till Kozhikkode in that route. With oncoming traffic and start of monsoon which option is best suggested?
Don't even think of option 2. Mangalore -Kozhilode itself is a nightmarish drive and Kozhikode Palakad is even worse. Although roads will be good, the single lane and the massive traffic will make it a very bad drive. Stick to option 1
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2022, 10:58   #14037
BHPian

I have an upcoming drive from Bangalore to Thekkady. Will be taking the Salem-Dindigul-Theni route. Could anyone provide an update on the road conditions?

Also planning to visit either Parunthumpara or Panchalimedu during my stay there. How are the road conditions to these spots from Thekkady? I will be travelling in my Verna.
Old 24th May 2022, 11:12   #14038
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by red.devil_19 View Post
I have an upcoming drive from Bangalore to Thekkady. Will be taking the Salem-Dindigul-Theni route. Could anyone provide an update on the road conditions?

Also planning to visit either Parunthumpara or Panchalimedu during my stay there. How are the road conditions to these spots from Thekkady? I will be travelling in my Verna.
Just back from around those places. There is a lot of road widening/construction happening in the Kerala side (this is towards Munnar). I assume it must be same towards Kumili as well, coz of the incessant rains. Dindigul to Theni is good, except for the narrow roads and the rush in Theni town.
jeeva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2022, 09:45   #14039
M35
BHPian

Toll collection has started already at Paniyankara toll plaza between Thrissur and Palakkad even when the Kuthiran isn't ready, and is still a mess. For one way it is Rs.100. Their cameras don't seem to read the card at all = some 5 minutes wasted as swell!
M35 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2022, 10:45   #14040
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35 View Post
Toll collection has started already at Paniyankara toll plaza between Thrissur and Palakkad even when the Kuthiran isn't ready...
Kuthiran tunnel pair has been operational for a while now. Toll collection started only after that (but I believe was stopped for a few weeks due to protests).

Most Viewed