Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2022, 18:47   #14101
BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

We had travelled to Bengaluru from Trivandrum and back in the last week of July (via Nagercoil). As always, this thread provided valuable updates for us to be prepared. I wish to share a few observations / experiences.

1. Some of the speed indicators have started displaying the vehicle speed along the Madurai bypass- Dindigul stretch. They display in red font when the speeds are above 80kph and turn green when decreased. They read continuously while approaching. I do not know how the information is used.

2. The toll plaza camera next to Kappalur on way to Bengaluru (Kodai Road perhaps) was not detecting the fastag for most vehicles during onward and return journeys and they were using the hand held scanner. I also noticed a few vehicles being asked to stop ahead. I remember having an unpleasant experience in the very same plaza last November when the guy told that I had zero balance (blacklisted) so confidently that I had to check the sms of the deduction in the previous plaza and show him the same. It may be better to keep a screenshot of the account balance at the beginning of journey. Or call the NHAI toll free number if one is wrongly branded as blacklisted.

3. The Nagercoil bypass (indicated as 478 in google maps that joins NH 44 south of Kavalkinar), though not inaugurated is more navigable in both directions than it was in March 2022, with very few barriers, except for a short stretch near the toll booth being constructed. The stretch seems to be used regularly for daily commute.
3. As already described, the stretch between Marthandam and Kaliyikavilai is in a terrible mess, and one needs to be careful to avoid harm. I had read the post of a long block at 9 pm at Marthandam flyover. The same thing happened during my return trip at 5 pm.
JayG is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 16:37   #14102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
1. Some of the speed indicators have started displaying the vehicle speed along the Madurai bypass- Dindigul stretch. They display in red font when the speeds are above 80kph and turn green when decreased. They read continuously while approaching. I do not know how the information is used.

2. The Nagercoil bypass (indicated as 478 in google maps that joins NH 44 south of Kavalkinar), though not inaugurated is more navigable in both directions than it was in March 2022, with very few barriers, except for a short stretch near the toll booth being constructed. The stretch seems to be used regularly for daily commute.

3. As already described, the stretch between Marthandam and Kaliyikavilai is in a terrible mess, and one needs to be careful to avoid harm. I had read the post of a long block at 9 pm at Marthandam flyover. The same thing happened during my return trip at 5 pm.
So 80KMPH is the speed limit on those lovely roads? Hope it's just for testing.

Wonder when that bypass will get open for regular travel. Would be a blessing to bypass NGL.

It's just one tiny stretch of bad road and it really irks to me think that the local authorities are least bothered to at least get some make shift pot hole filling done.
Old 18th August 2022, 09:00   #14103
BHPian

Respected members, please guide me the best route from Bangalore to Idukki and between Idukki to Periyar.. Also, please suggest attractions and must visit places nearby Idukki dam.
Old 19th August 2022, 00:26   #14104
BHPian

Hi all,

I am driving down to Guruvayur from Chennai this weekend and wanted to know how the roads are from Coimbatore to Guruvayur.

Also I am doing the drive in my week old new car and am yet to get the physical copy of RC as the RTO takes 30 days here. Is the digital copy in mParivahan good enough ? Do Kerala cops harass out of state vehicles. Kindly let me know.
Old 19th August 2022, 07:58   #14105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanksta View Post
Hi all,

I am driving down to Guruvayur from Chennai this weekend and wanted to know how the roads are from Coimbatore to Guruvayur.

Also I am doing the drive in my week old new car and am yet to get the physical copy of RC as the RTO takes 30 days here. Is the digital copy in mParivahan good enough ? Do Kerala cops harass out of state vehicles. Kindly let me know.
I drove Bangalore to Thrissur up and down last weekend. Roads are very good from Krishnagiri till start of 6 lane at Avinashi except for the flyover construction points. Avinashi -Coimbatore has been a bit bumpy since a year or so. Just before entering Kerala at Walayar, it is a bit broken very small stretch. Rest of the stretch till Thrissur is also good. I started Friday evening around 5PM from Bangalore. Pollachi road tollbooth and signal on CBE bypass took almost 45 min to cross and has been the norm since a last few months when we cross that section around 10-12PM. There was heavy truck traffic towards Kerala probably due to Onam and hence the two checkposts between CBE and Walayar had lot of congestion. Took additional 15-20 min than usual.
SUBRU is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 13:06   #14106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Respected members, please guide me the best route from Bangalore to Idukki and between Idukki to Periyar.. Also, please suggest attractions and must visit places nearby Idukki dam.
Idukki is a district, so where exactly you want to go? I assume you meant Thekady with Periyar. So You can come via Theni to Thekady first and then to the place in Idukki.
JohnnyBoss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2022, 12:02   #14107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Please check with the hotel about road conditions as the recent rains/landslides had caused damages to a few roads in that area.
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 14:28   #14108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUBRU View Post
I drove Bangalore to Thrissur up and down last weekend.
Took additional 15-20 min than usual.
Thank you SUBRU.

I had a nice and quick run to Guruvayur. On Saturday left home around 4:40AM crossed Salem and stopped for a coffee break at Coffee Day ~ 340kms at 9:50AM. Crossed Coimbatore and stopped to refuel at Bharat Petroleum COCO just after the single carriageway stretch got over at 12:50 PM. From there took another 3 hours to reach Guruvayur at 4PM sharp.

Road condition near Walayar border was little patchy and the road from Thrissur to Guruvayur is bad. Apart from that the remaining stretch was butter smooth.

Similarly while returning on Sunday left Guruvayur at 12:46PM and reached coimbatore at 4PM. Crossed Salem by 6:30PM. Stopped for a quick tea break and crossed Tindivanam at 10PM. Was home at exactly 12AM.

Overall it was a relaxed drive, took 22 hrs to cover 1253kms.
Shanksta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2022, 22:20   #14109
Senior - BHPian

Any info on road conditions between Muvatupuzha and Infopark. Is SH41 in good condition? Any alternative routes?
Old 30th August 2022, 08:16   #14110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Any info on road conditions between Muvatupuzha and Infopark. Is SH41 in good condition? Any alternative routes?
Take the NH and turn at Puthencruz. It is in ok condition.
Old 30th August 2022, 10:19   #14111
RRR
BHPian

Hello folks I’m planning to take Bangalore-Salem-Dindigul-kumily-Erumeli-Raani-Adoor route this Sunday , has anyone used this route recently and any update on road condition? Thanks in advance: )
Old 31st August 2022, 10:23   #14112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR View Post
Hello folks I’m planning to take Bangalore-Salem-Dindigul-kumily-Erumeli-Raani-Adoor route this Sunday , has anyone used this route recently and any update on road condition? Thanks in advance: )
I did a Ponkunnam-Ranni-Adoor-Trivandrum drive last week and roads were beautiful. Freshly paved with nice winding curves and bends, perfect for my tjet.

That said, my cousin who regularly travels the kumily route from Kottayam says roads are pretty bad in a few stretches thanks to heavy rainfall. Hope it has been relaid by now.

Meanwhile, i tried taking the NH66 route from Trivandrum to get to Nagercoil yesterday. Managed to cross the border without too much of an issue. There were parts where i had to go off road and many places i had to take service roads but after i crossed the border it was very bad. I followed a recovery vehicle jeep (if i get stuck, well solution is in front of me ).

But then he wandered off into a different direction, diverted back to Kaliakavali and rejoined the usual route.

Google still shows NH66 as the best route to reach Nagercoil .

I really hope it gets opened in the next few years at least.
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 11:24   #14113
RRR
BHPian

Hello folks, I just covered Bangalore to Adoor Via Salem-Dindigul-Theni-Kumily_Ranni-Pathanamttia-Adoor and the road condition is supreme to say the least. Started at 4AM and was in Adoor by 3:30PM. Anyone who wants to vist Adoor/Trivandrum please take this route.
RRR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2022, 08:25   #14114
BHPian

I am guessing quite a lot people headed home to Kerala for Onam. Here is a little update on Coimbatore Palakkad Stretch of road for those taking the road via Walayar.

Road towards Kerala: L&T Bypass is in decent nick. The stretch between L&T Bypass to Walayar is not in the best shape. They have done patch work twice in the last 100 odd days and so it is bearable. The last 4 kilometres before Walayar is the worst. Just beyond the A2B and the checkpost that follows, the road dips a bit. That is possibly going to be worst section for cars. It does not look apparent, but the asphalt has sunk a bit in the lowest section. Even trucks have to slow down at this bit else the jolt literally sends shivers down the spine. I come to standstill in my bike while crossing this. Please be careful especially low slung cars.

Road Towards Tamilnadu. Road from Vadakanchery to Palakkad is decent. The last 10-12 Km before the Walayar toll is still to be relayered. They were doing the work last week and were diverting the traffic for few sections in the lane towards Kerala. However did not see this work in the last 2 days. Maybe stalled anticipating the holiday traffic. Like i have posted earlier. The scraped off layers may have different braking distances. So please anticipate that while driving.The stretch after toll till Walayar is decent as well followed by not so good roads for next 12-15 km.

Update on rains. Has been sunny most parts of the day. But please be wary. Rain bursts just come out of the blue in certain section. It is impossible to see ahead in these stretches. If any riders are there. Riding with rain lining would be recommended even if it looks sunny because it is difficult to anticipate which stretch it will rain. Today morning i started off looking sunny. Got drenched in a 2 km section where it was raining cats and dogs.

Happy holidays everyone! Drive safe.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 6th September 2022 at 18:02. Reason: Edited
rohitoasis is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th September 2022, 08:46   #14115
Senior - BHPian

The stretch between L&T bypass and Walayar is very bumpy, can unsettle your car very easily. At one of the sections i saw a totalled Land Rover, probably lost control while doing high speeds due to the collapsed Asphalt.

Last edited by rakesh_r : 6th September 2022 at 08:49.

Most Viewed