Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2022, 20:27   #14131
BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

NH-66 widening work in progress, between Parippally and Kadambattukonam in Kollam district:
All Roads to Kerala-s21_00001.jpg

All Roads to Kerala-s21_00002.jpg

All Roads to Kerala-s21_00003.jpg

All Roads to Kerala-s21_00004.jpg

All Roads to Kerala-s21_00005.jpg
darklord is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th September 2022, 21:46   #14132
BHPian

Planning a drive to Pondicherry from Kollam. Google maps suggests the following routes:

Route 1 Kollam>Punalur>Tenkasi>Rajapalayam>Madurai> Pondy

Route 2 Kollam>Pathanamthitta>Erumeli>Kumily>Cumbum>Theni> Trichy>Pondy

Route 1 is shorter but the roads on climb up and down Thenmala ghats was chock full of gigantic potholes when I last traveled this way.

Route 2 would have better roads I assume.

Any updates / suggestions?

Last edited by Pequod : 20th September 2022 at 21:47.
Old 21st September 2022, 07:18   #14133

Hi team,

I am driving down from hyderabad to bangalore with family. We have often taken the hyderabad -kurnool -anantapur - bangalore -krishnagiri - salem - coimbatore - palakkad - thrissur - ernakulam

Two major concerns, water logging in bangalore outskirts, anyway to avoid this? Any parts of kerala in route below which are might be water logged or bad roads. I have been trying to get updates on bharat jodo yatra too so i dont get stranded on the road for long.

Regards,
Akash
Old 21st September 2022, 08:01   #14134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gea1313 View Post
Two major concerns, water logging in bangalore outskirts, anyway to avoid this?

I have been trying to get updates on bharat jodo yatra too so i dont get stranded on the road for long.
I don't think there is any waterlogging issue right now anywhere along the route you have mentioned.

BJY is currently in Kochi and will proceed along the NH 544 for the next few days. It is expected to exit Kerala on 29/9 via Nilambur-Mysore. I don't have any clarity on the route it plans to take beyond Thrissur though.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2022, 11:00   #14135
BHPian

I will be traveling from Bangalore and crossing the CBE on way to Kerala on Saturday (24-Sep) between 4-6 PM. How is traffic around this time ? Is it worth skipping and taking any alternative route? Please suggest.
Old 23rd September 2022, 11:41   #14136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodmk View Post
I will be traveling from Bangalore and crossing the CBE on way to Kerala on Saturday (24-Sep) between 4-6 PM. How is traffic around this time ? Is it worth skipping and taking any alternative route? Please suggest.
Crossing Coimbatore would not be a hassle if through L&T Bypass. Within Kerala, there will be a small stretch around 5-7 Km before Palakkad where traffic will show red. This is due to diversion of traffic due to road works. The stretch of 2 km may take about 10-12 minutes to cross in car. Much lesser on two wheeler.
rohitoasis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2022, 12:12   #14137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequod View Post

Route 1 Kollam>Punalur>Tenkasi>Rajapalayam>Madurai> Pondy
Any recent updates on this route.
Planning to take Madurai - Rajapalayam - Tenkasi - Punalur - Kottarakkara route next week.
Old 23rd September 2022, 12:20   #14138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavu75 View Post
Planning to take Madurai - Rajapalayam - Tenkasi - Punalur - Kottarakkara route next week.
I did Tenkasi-Kollam on 4th Sep - the roads on the TN side are not at their best and the climb up to Thenmala was chock full of man sized potholes.

I am also looking for a more recent update.
Pequod is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2022, 18:40   #14139
BHPian

Driving from Bangalore to TVM with family. Stop over at Coimbatore tonight. Planning to start around 6-7 tomorrow morning. What would be the best route from Coimbatore to Thiruvananthapuram? Google map shows me 3 options thru Thrissur.
1. NH via Ernakulam
2. Pala-Rannni-Pathamthitta
3. MC road- Kottayam - Adoor
Reading this thread, I am thinking 3 is the best option. Any inputs from recent experience would help
Old 25th September 2022, 23:57   #14140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonashes View Post
1. NH via Ernakulam
Reading this thread, I am thinking 3 is the best option. Any inputs from recent experience would help
To Trivandrum none of the 3 routes are good.

But since you mention an overnight stop at Coimbatore (is it mandatory?) you have no other options

Best Route to TVM still is the Selam, Madurai, Nagercoil, Trivandrum one. You reach in about 10 hours to Nagercoil. Another 2 hours to Trivandrum. 90% 0f roads are really good.
r_nairtvm is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th September 2022, 10:38   #14141
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Driving from Bangalore to TVM with family. Stop over at Coimbatore tonight. Planning to start around 6-7 tomorrow morning. What would be the best route from Coimbatore to Thiruvananthapuram? Google map shows me 3 options thru Thrissur.
1. NH via Ernakulam
From the 3 routes you mentioned, option 3 would be better. I recently took TVM-Adoor-Thiruvalla-Changanaserry-EKM. Roads are all good except AC road. I should have taken Kottayam route but had to go to Alleppey.
naveen.raju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2022, 15:22   #14142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
To Trivandrum none of the 3 routes are good.

But since you mention an overnight stop at Coimbatore (is it mandatory?) you have no other options

Best Route to TVM still is the Selam, Madurai, Nagercoil, Trivandrum one. You reach in about 10 hours to Nagercoil. Another 2 hours to Trivandrum. 90% 0f roads are really good.
Thanks for the suggestion. Had a chat with a few friends last night and they suggested the same. Took the Dindigul - Madurai - Nagarcoil - TVM route and it was the best thing to do. Started from CMB at 5:45 AM and reached TVM at 1:30 PM. About 45 mins in between from for breakfast and tea. A satisfying lunch at Mani mess at TVM. It’s my first here and I got in since I am a veggie + it was right beside my homestay. Going by the looks, I think it’s a known name around, but even otherwise I recommend this place for veggies who visit Thiruvananthapuram.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
From the 3 routes you mentioned, option 3 would be better. I recently took TVM-Adoor-Thiruvalla-Changanaserry-EKM. Roads are all good except AC road. I should have taken Kottayam route but had to go to Alleppey.
Going to Kochi tomorrow. This would be useful, thanks.

My last leg would be from Guruvayur towards Udupi. Any recommendations other than the default NH for this would help.
Old 26th September 2022, 16:36   #14143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Going to Kochi tomorrow. This would be useful, thanks.
All the best. Count yourselves lucky if you are able to do the 220 KM in less than 6 hours

Best Regards & Drive Safe
r_nairtvm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th September 2022, 18:16   #14144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
All the best. Count yourselves lucky if you are able to do the 220 KM in less than 6 hours

Best Regards & Drive Safe
Nightmare fuel right there. Did this stretch twice last month. One via MC and one via NH. One left TVM at 7PM, reached EKM at 12.30AM, the next left TVM at 06AM reached EKM at 11AM!

Makes one wonder, if the roads were wider and better, would the dreaded KSRTC buses drive sanely? Imagine doing this stretch on a daily basis. Enough to drive a man insane!
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2022, 18:58   #14145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavu75 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequod View Post
I did Tenkasi-Kollam on 4th Sep - the roads on the TN side are not at their best and the climb up to Thenmala was chock full of man sized potholes.

I am also looking for a more recent update.
The potholes in the ghat sections have been patched up. Taken yesterday:
All Roads to Kerala-s21_00001.jpg

Some terrible sections leading to and leaving Shengottah have also been patched up/relaid. The rest is a mixed bag. Some good sections and some average sections, I felt nowhere it was terrible, mostly manageable.

I drove in the Thenmala to Madurai direction. Vehicle was Safari 2.2 Dicor.

Also, 4-laning work is progressing in the Rajapalayam-Tirumanagalam section. Also read notification for land acquisition for Kollam-Shengottah section of NH-744 will be out by November. Kerala Govt has approved two special offices and necessary staff for land acquisition. So, hoping at least in the next 4 years, Kollam-Thirumangalam will be entirely 4-laned.

Also note that Rajapalayam town roads are a mess. Have been in a dug up state for months.

https://www.thehindu.com/news/cities...le65903126.ece

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 26th September 2022 at 20:39. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Thanks.
darklord is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed