Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2022, 06:04   #14146
BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord View Post
The potholes in the ghat sections have been patched up. Taken yesterday:Also, 4-laning work is progressing in the Rajapalayam-Tirumanagalam
Also note that Rajapalayam town roads are a mess. Have been in a dug up state for months.
Thanks for the update! Now thinking I will take the Tenkasi-Tirunelveli route and on to Pondy, so that the whole Rajapalayam-Tirumangalam mess can be avoided.

Last edited by Pequod : 27th September 2022 at 06:07.
Old 28th September 2022, 10:01   #14147
BHPian

What is the speed limit on NHAI roads in Kerala is it 90? I have been trying to keep it around 80, especially between Walayar - Vadakkencherry where there are speed cameras every 2 KM.

I got the 90 number from here https://mvd.kerala.gov.in/en/roadsaf...-limits-kerala. (Motor Car - Four Lane Road)
Old 28th September 2022, 10:41   #14148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodmk View Post
I got the 90 number from here https://mvd.kerala.gov.in/en/roadsaf...-limits-kerala. (Motor Car - Four Lane Road)
That document is the correct one to refer to. But it is a confusing mess - for example, what is the speed limit on a national highway while within a municipality limits? Are the school zone limits applicable even during the nights when you can reasonably assume they aren't teaching?

Anyway as soon as you enter Kerala via Walayar, you are within some municipality/corporation or other all the way till Trivandrum I imagine (there are exceptions for short sections, sure).

I set cruise control at 85 or 90 and have avoided fines so far.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2022, 10:22   #14149
BHPian

Did anyone do Pollachi-Chinnar-Marayoor-Kanthalloor-Eravikulam national park recently? Wonder if the roads are good for sedans. Cheers.
Old 1st October 2022, 11:15   #14150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboGuy View Post
Did anyone do Pollachi-Chinnar-Marayoor-Kanthalloor-Eravikulam national park recently? Wonder if the roads are good for sedans. Cheers.
I did the opposite journey few days back. Overall road conditions are good. Udumalapetai to Chinnar entrance is excellent. Chinnar forest area is well tarred, slightly bumpy. Chinnar - Marayoor - Munnar is again in good shape, smooth well marked. Traffic was sparse.
sansvk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2022, 15:25   #14151

Hi all,

How are the roads from Trivandrum to Kollam ? I am planning a trip in the last week of October, also including Kanyakumari by hiring a Revv Car. I heard the roads from Trivandrum to Kanyakumari side are not great.

But how are the roads from Trivandrum to Kollam via Varkala & back to TVM ? I am planning to visit all these places in around 3-4 days & also a small detour probably to Jatayu statue.

Any help will be really appreciated. I am doing a road trip this side for the first time, I am basically from Vizag.

Thank you.
Old 1st October 2022, 20:25   #14152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartiksk88 View Post
Hi all,

How are the roads from Trivandrum to Kollam ? I am planning a trip in the last week of October, also including Kanyakumari by hiring a Revv Car. I heard the roads from Trivandrum to Kanyakumari side are not great.

But how are the roads from Trivandrum to Kollam via Varkala & back to TVM ? I am planning to visit all these places in around 3-4 days & also a small detour probably to Jatayu statue.

Any help will be really appreciated. I am doing a road trip this side for the first time, I am basically from Vizag.

Thank you.
NH66 from TVM to Kollam - Basically single lane roads with plenty of dense traffic during the day time, be patient and careful while driving as progress will be slow. Road condition is okay with very minimal bad surfaces. Lot of earth works for the 6 laning also happening.

Varkala - You have to take a detour from NH66. If coming from TVM to Kollam, take a left from Kallambalam. If coming from Kollam to TVM, take a right half km after the junction Parippally.

Jatayu Earth Center - It is on the MC road which is another prominent road connecting TVM to the north. Runs parallel to NH 66 (along the eastern side of NH) but many connecting roads are there between the two. But if your aim is Kollam city, then this road will not take you there.

Kanyakumari - NH66 southwards from TVM can be tricky with some bad sections. If you would like to have a bit more relaxed journey, can take the Kovalam - Vizhinjam - Poovar - Thengapattanam - Colachel - Kanyakumari route.
ask_017 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2022, 21:45   #14153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ask_017 View Post
NH66 from TVM to Kollam - Basically single lane roads with plenty of dense traffic during the day time, be patient and careful while driving as progress will be slow.
Couple of years back, as a tourist I drove along a coastal road with magnificent views from Trivandrum to Varkala. Very easy, relaxed drive. OP could try that.

It can be seen in Google Maps, practically defining the coastline.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2022, 06:54   #14154
BHPian

Quote:
Hi all,

But how are the roads from Trivandrum to Kollam via Varkala & back to TVM ?
The roads are decent. Mostly single lane without dividers. If you travel during the day be prepared for traffic throughout. Use Radarbot as speed limits vary between 30 km/h to 80 km/hr on this route. The camera locations are quite accurate.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 2nd October 2022 at 08:26. Reason: Removed reference of speeding.
Bailey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2022, 07:56   #14155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonashes View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. Had a chat with a few friends last night and they suggested the same. Took the Dindigul - Madurai - Nagarcoil - TVM route and it was the best thing to do. Started from CMB at 5:45 AM and reached TVM at 1:30 PM. About 45 mins in between from for breakfast and tea. A satisfying lunch at Mani mess a.
Wise decision!
After a nightmare 10 hour drive from Trivandrum to Palakkad during Onam, we chose the Palakkad- Nadupuni- Pollachi- Dharapuram- Dindigul- Nagercoil- Trivandrum route for the return.
The timing of the journey was the main reason for the onward fiasco.
The return took 9 hours and was much better as expected.
In future, I might take this route unless I can start before dawn.
Old 2nd October 2022, 12:44   #14156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
Wise decision!
After a nightmare 10 hour drive from Trivandrum to Palakkad during Onam, we chose the Palakkad- Nadupuni- Pollachi- Dharapuram- Dindigul- Nagercoil- Trivandrum route for the return.
The timing of the journey was the main reason for the onward fiasco.
The return took 9 hours and was much better as expected.
In future, I might take this route unless I can start before dawn.
Any drive within Kerala IMHO please please start at 4.30 am or 5.00 am. Alternately late at night. Driving during the day (unless avoidable) only adds to your travel time.
Bailey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2022, 17:42   #14157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodmk View Post
What is the speed limit on NHAI roads in Kerala is it 90? I have been trying to keep it around 80, especially between Walayar - Vadakkencherry where there are speed cameras every 2 KM.

Use radarbot. The speed limit varies depending on where you are driving thru, whether the road had one lane or two and whether there is a divider between the lanes etc.
Bailey is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2022, 06:22   #14158
BHPian

Quote:
The coastal road suggested by binand, is not in good shape from Kollam till Varkala, with road washed off at places by high tide and uneven surfaces throughout. Not sure how it is beyond Varkala.

Views are definitely great though.
Pequod is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2022, 08:10   #14159
BHPian

Has anyone travelled along the Nedumangad- Vellarada - Aralvaimozhi route anytime recently ? I had taken this road 4 years ago, which was after the floods and found it in a terrible shape between Kulasekharam and Bhootapandi. Construction activity too was going on. Those days the Parvathipuram / Marthandam constructions and the road conditions made the regular NH even messier and we thought of exploring this route and the Thengapatanam- Poovar roads. Currently, even if the surface is good, it may not result in time savings. But just wishing to know the current status as it is quite scenic.
Old 3rd October 2022, 10:30   #14160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
Use radarbot.
I have never used radarbot will definitely give it a try to get better local speeds.
What I normally use is Waze as soon as I enter Kerala and it has the speed cameras marked and gives an audio warning on approaching speed cameras.
This is for Walayar - Vadakkencherry stretch which has a lot of speed cameras.
vinodmk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed