Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2023, 15:17   #14326
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurminder_81 View Post
Update from my last evening's travel from BLR -> Kochi

Query: I covered the speed camera laden journey just last night, so when and how should I check if was caught and given an e-challan.

Total toll cost: around 900 INR.
You can check online https://echallan.parivahan.gov.in/index/accused-challan
Old 18th February 2023, 21:24   #14327
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

There is an option to drive to Munnar from Thattekadu through Mamalakandam. keep in mind that it is a narrow forest road, you can search on youtube to view videos about this route[/quote]

Thank you, looks an interesting drive from Thattekad. Seriously considering this route. Still looking for best route from Bangalore to Thattekad. Leaving Blr on 26th morning, hope to get some feed back before this.
Old 19th February 2023, 21:53   #14328
BHPian

Those looking for an alternative and traffic-jam-free route, travelling from Trichur to Muvattupuzha/Idukki/Kottayam can try the route via Angamaly Manjapra Neeliswaram Akanad Keezhillam Moovatupuzha route. Can avoid the notorious Angamaly, Kalady, Perumbavur blocks.
Took this route from Moovatupuzha to Trichur on a buy Saturday evening and landed from Moovatupuzha till Angamaly with almost zero block. Distance is around 7-8km more but if you want to avoid the bumper to bumper traffic, this is a good option.
vinuchel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2023, 16:50   #14329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinuchel View Post
Those looking for an alternative and traffic-jam-free route, travelling from Trichur to Muvattupuzha/Idukki/Kottayam can try the route via Angamaly Manjapra Neeliswaram Akanad Keezhillam Moovatupuzha route. Can avoid the notorious Angamaly, Kalady, Perumbavur blocks.
Took this route from Moovatupuzha to Trichur on a buy Saturday evening and landed from Moovatupuzha till Angamaly with almost zero block. Distance is around 7-8km more but if you want to avoid the bumper to bumper traffic, this is a good option.
For Kochi airport (CIAL), if the block in Kalady is worse, people from Perumbavoor, Muvattupuzha, Kottayam can take Perumbavoor-Marampally-Sri Sankara bridge-Kanjoor to reach CIAL.
Old 20th February 2023, 19:01   #14330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinuchel View Post
Angamaly Manjapra Neeliswaram Akanad Keezhillam Moovatupuzha route. Can avoid the notorious Angamaly, Kalady, Perumbavur blocks.
One should turn off / join NH 544 at Karukutty to take full advantage of this route (so that one can avoid the Manjapra road junction at Angamaly which is the access route to the KSRTC bus station and a perennial bottleneck). Basically take the road leading to FISAT and loop around the St Mary's church at Mookkannur. It joins Manjapra road at Thuravur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
Perumbavoor-Marampally-Sri Sankara bridge-Kanjoor to reach CIAL.
The roads that go along the southern boundary of CIAL have struck me as somewhat lonely / less travelled, so I advise those who plan to take a cab to avoid it. I get the same vibes as the Hennur-Bagalur route to Bangalore airport.

Better could be to reach Mattoor as usual and go straight across instead of turning right to MC Road / Kalady; this connects to the road in the previous para at Neeleswaram. Though the early 1 km or so of this road was in pretty bad shape some time ago.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2023, 21:58   #14331
BHPian

Have an upcoming drive to Kottayam from Bangalore. Previously I have always driven from Bangalore to Ernakulam and the on to Kottayam.

This time want to drive straight to Kottayam. How is the drive via Dindigul and Theni? Anything that I need to be aware of?
Old 8th March 2023, 16:42   #14332
BHPian

Need Advice

Hi Guys,

I am planning a trip down south in 1st week of May, following is the tentative route:

Mumbai - Bangalore - Munnar - Thekkady - Alleppey - Varkala - Kanyakumari - Rameshwaram - Madurai - Kanchipuram - Bangalore - Mumbai

Plan to cover this in 13-14 days.

Need inputs on road and weather conditions in Kerala and if anyone can suggest decent stay options.

We are a family of 3 (Wife - Daughter - Self).

Thanks.
Old 8th March 2023, 17:11   #14333
Senior - BHPian

Re: Need Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikran View Post
I am planning a trip down south in 1st week of May... Plan to cover this in 13-14 days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikran View Post
following is the tentative route:

Mumbai - Bangalore - Munnar - Thekkady - Alleppey - Varkala - Kanyakumari - Rameshwaram - Madurai - Kanchipuram - Bangalore - Mumbai
Most of the places you mention will be unbearably hot during May.

As for route - Kanchipuram does not fall in the route from Madurai-Bangalore. Unless you have a specific reason to be there, this sounds like a mistake.
Old 8th March 2023, 17:47   #14334
BHPian

Re: Need Advice

Kanchipuram is on special demand and with a purpose, sort of detour.
Old 9th March 2023, 16:19   #14335
BHPian

Hi All, I'm planning for a road trip from Manamadurai (near Madurai, TN) to Shenoys, Cochin. Please suggest the better route to proceed with the kids and elders onboard. Im planning to start early morning and reach Cochin by afternoon as the hotel booking done already. Any specific mention about route conditions and eateries would really help. First time entering into Kerala via road.
Old 9th March 2023, 17:15   #14336
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebs View Post
Manamadurai (near Madurai, TN) to Shenoys, Cochin
Manamadurai-Madurai ring road-Kappalur-Kodai Road-Sempatti-Oddanchatram-Dharapuram-Pollachi-Kollengode-Thrissur-Kochi.

This way you'll be on larger roads than on ghats. You'll have distance penalty, but time wise shouldn't be too different.
narayans80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2023, 18:00   #14337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Manamadurai-Madurai ring road-Kappalur-Kodai Road-Sempatti-Oddanchatram-Dharapuram-Pollachi-Kollengode-Thrissur-Kochi.

This way you'll be on larger roads than on ghats. You'll have distance penalty, but time wise shouldn't be too different.
Thanks a lot. Gmaps showing the route via Andipatti, usilampatti, theni and Adimali . That looks to me a deep ghat roads but with multiple scenic places. I heard that it's Cochin madurai highway. Isn't that recommended?
Old 10th March 2023, 13:11   #14338
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Gmaps showing the route via Andipatti, usilampatti, theni and Adimali . That looks to me a deep ghat roads but with multiple scenic places. I heard that it's Cochin madurai highway.
First route is via Munnar and the latter is Kumili-Vandiperiyar-Pala

Quote:
Isn't that recommended?
Depends on what you want to do? If you want to take it slow and stop at multiple places enroute or you are looking to reach your destination on time.
Old 10th March 2023, 21:29   #14339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot. Gmaps showing the route via Andipatti, usilampatti, theni and Adimali . That looks to me a deep ghat roads but with multiple scenic places. I heard that it's Cochin madurai highway. Isn't that recommended?
Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
First route is via Munnar and the latter is Kumili-Vandiperiyar-Pala
I would think Gmaps would be suggesting the route via Rajakkad (i.e Pooppara - Rajakkad - Adimali rather than Pooppara - Munnar - Adimali). Going via Munnar will probably take an extra half an hour since it is about 20 kms longer and you can't expect to average more than 30 to 40 kmph through either route.

The route via Kumily will take much longer when your destination is Cochin. That makes sense only when traveling to some place further south like Kottayam.

As an aside, I don't think traveling via Pollachi will save you time - it might actually take longer because of the extra distance. The Sempatti to Oddanchatram stretch is quite a pain to drive due to the numerous villages you pass through. And the Pollachi-Trichur-Cochin stretch isn't that fast either even if a lot of it is 4 lane NH - Kerala roads are slow regardless of how many lanes that are, so my policy is to minimize the drive through Kerala especially if it is between 8AM to 9PM.
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2023, 10:47   #14340
Senior - BHPian

Folks, I am planning a weekend trip to Taj Bekal from Bangalore this week. Intend to stay at Mysore 1st night from Bangalore and go to Bekal via coorg as per gmap recommendations. Any idea about the road conditions and anything to watch out? Since this is first time towards this side I don't mind returning via Hassan side if that road is better or more scenic? Inputs appreciated. thanks

Most Viewed