Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2008, 11:52   #286
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
You can go direct from Nilambur via Pandikkad to Perinthalmanna and Edappal, saves you going through Manjeri and Malappuram.
I agree. I too take this route and it's much better than the Malappuram route. And, further take Shornur to hit Trichur. I find this one better than the Kunnamkulam leg.

On a side note, I heard somebody who has been living in Malappuram for a long time mentioning that it's the most dangerous district to drive, in Kerala.

Regards
Rex
Old 2nd September 2008, 18:43   #287
BHPian

Quote:
You can go direct from Nilambur via Pandikkad to Perinthalmanna and Edappal, saves you going through Manjeri and Malappuram.
Hey thanks hv and rex.
I will look at yahoo maps and mapmyindia to understand this part better.
How much can I cut down by deviating vai pandikkad?
Old 2nd September 2008, 19:09   #288
BHPian

Even I will be driving down from Bangalore to Kollam Saturday early morning ( 2 AM). The following the route I have in my mind:
Bangalore -> Kanakapura ->Malavalli->Kollegal->Yelandur ->Chamaraja Nagar -> Satyamagalam -> Annur -> Coimbatore -> Palakkad -> Thrissur -> Cochin -> Kollam.

Can anyone tell me about this road? Is it a good and Safe drive? I never been to this route before. Doing this to avoid Bangalore -> Coimbatore stretch, which is really bad due to road widening.

OT: Is there anyone driving from Bangalore to Kerala by Saturday(06-sep-2008) early morning ?

Last edited by HotChillyPepper : 2nd September 2008 at 19:17.
Old 2nd September 2008, 19:19   #289
BHPian

Hi HCP,

I will be driving to Ernakulam on saturday morning (4AM) in my Getz. I am planning to take Blore-Msore-Nilambur-Trichur-EKM route.
Old 2nd September 2008, 20:46   #290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_koova View Post
Hey thanks hv and rex.
I will look at yahoo maps and mapmyindia to understand this part better.
How much can I cut down by deviating vai pandikkad?
Almost the same distance. More of relief from congested roads in and around Manjeri and Malappuram.
Old 2nd September 2008, 20:48   #291
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper View Post
Even I will be driving down from Bangalore to Kollam Saturday early morning ( 2 AM). The following the route I have in my mind:
Bangalore -> Kanakapura ->Malavalli->Kollegal->Yelandur ->Chamaraja Nagar -> Satyamagalam -> Annur -> Coimbatore -> Palakkad -> Thrissur -> Cochin -> Kollam.

Can anyone tell me about this road? Is it a good and Safe drive? I never been to this route before. Doing this to avoid Bangalore -> Coimbatore stretch, which is really bad due to road widening.

OT: Is there anyone driving from Bangalore to Kerala by Saturday(06-sep-2008) early morning ?
I would take pgginish's route. The roads are bad in some places (Kanakapura-Malavalli, Charamajnagar-TN Border, Coimbatore-Palakkad, etc), and you also end up navigating Coimbatore city (unless you take a longer route going from Annur to Avinashi).
Old 2nd September 2008, 21:16   #292
BHPian

[quote=OT: Is there anyone driving from Bangalore to Kerala by Saturday(06-sep-2008) early morning ?[/quote]

Me too planning 6th Sept '08 drive home at around 4am (depending on when I can get out of office)

Route: Bangalore - Mysore - Nilambur - Edappal - Ernakulam - Alleppey
Old 2nd September 2008, 22:47   #293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgginish View Post
Hi HCP,

I will be driving to Ernakulam on saturday morning (4AM) in my Getz. I am planning to take Blore-Msore-Nilambur-Trichur-EKM route.
Quote:
Originally Posted by unni.ak View Post
Me too planning 6th Sept '08 drive home at around 4am (depending on when I can get out of office)

Route: Bangalore - Mysore - Nilambur - Edappal - Ernakulam - Alleppey
Quote:
I would take pgginish's route. The roads are bad in some places (Kanakapura-Malavalli, Charamajnagar-TN Border, Coimbatore-Palakkad, etc), and you also end up navigating Coimbatore city (unless you take a longer route going from Annur to Avinashi).
Thanks for the great info Kumar. So better I will follow pgginish

@pgginish & unni
Shall we join somewhere at outskerts of Bangalore and go together ?
Old 2nd September 2008, 23:53   #294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper View Post
Thanks for the great info Kumar. So better I will follow pgginish

@pgginish & unni
Shall we join somewhere at outskerts of Bangalore and go together ?
Sure we can try to do that. PM'ed you my mob number.
Old 4th September 2008, 11:03   #295
BHPian

Mysore - Thrissur via Nilambur, P.Manna

On 24th Aug, I traveled from Kodungallur to Bangalore via Thrissur P.Manna, Nilambur. Road between Thrissur and Nilambur is good, but narrow with lots of private bus and trucks. Road from Nilambur until TN border is very good, recently done up i think. TN border until Karnataka border is pretty bad and then on its really good. I was surprised to see the quality of roads inside the forest within Karnataka!!
Old 4th September 2008, 13:36   #296
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijayks View Post
TN border until Karnataka border is pretty bad and then on its really good.
The roads in TN is managable?
Old 9th September 2008, 00:26   #297
Senior - BHPian

I just heard that the road from Thekkady to Kottayam , NH220 ( i think so ) is blocked due to heavy rains resulting in landslides, has anybody done this route in the past couple of days ? Any updates ?

@ unni.ak and @ hotchillypepper finally which route did you guys take and what are the route updates?

Last edited by hellstar : 9th September 2008 at 00:28.
Old 9th September 2008, 00:33   #298
Senior - BHPian

Not only in Thekkady-Kottayam but also in various parts of Idukkki district, roads were blocked due to heavy rains in the last 2 days (as per local Malayalam TV channels).

I had a quick word with unni.ak who drove down to Alapuzha/Ambalapuzha via Mysore, Gudalur, Nilambur and Edappal. He reported bad roads from Gudalur to Kerala border. The ghats leading down to Nilambur have some damages on the curves. But the worst experience was reserved for the drive from Nilambur to Edappal, where he lost considerable time and hurt his car (Ford Fiesta). Very surprising, this entire route was in great form even 3 weeks ago when a friend of mine drove down from Bombay to Pattambi on this route.

Let us await a detailed report from unni.ak - he must be busy with his Onam celebrations.
Old 9th September 2008, 00:44   #299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not only in Thekkady-Kottayam but also in various parts of Idukkki district, roads were blocked due to heavy rains in the last 2 days (as per local Malayalam TV channels).

I had a quick word with unni.ak who drove down to Alapuzha/Ambalapuzha via Mysore, Gudalur, Nilambur and Edappal. He reported bad roads from Gudalur to Kerala border. The ghats leading down to Nilambur have some damages on the curves. But the worst experience was reserved for the drive from Nilambur to Edappal, where he lost considerable time and hurt his car (Ford Fiesta). Very surprising, this entire route was in great form even 3 weeks ago when a friend of mine drove down from Bombay to Pattambi on this route.

Let us await a detailed report from unni.ak - he must be busy with his Onam celebrations.
I was considering this route for an overnight drive starting from Blore on 10th sep'08 at 2200 hrs , now i think i will either have to take the normal NH47 route after the mettur - bhavani excursion...or the madurai route and then enter kerala from courtallam .... i dont think there are too much issues on the madurai route other than the odd deviation and the road widening.

I am worried as i too wanna get busy with Onam !
Old 9th September 2008, 00:47   #300
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellstar View Post
I was considering this route for an overnight drive starting from Blore on 10th sep'08 at 2200 hrs , now i think i will either have to take the normal NH47 route after the mettur - bhavani excursion...or the madurai route and then enter kerala from courtallam .... i dont think there are too much issues on the madurai route other than the odd deviation and the road widening.

I am worried as i too wanna get busy with Onam !
The route via Calicut is also still in good shape, and since you are going by night, you can escape all the day traffic of Kerala.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks