Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2024, 12:43   #1
BHPian

Tirunelveli Sightseeing

I have a few days at Tinneveli in April. While I understand that it's a dry season and the lush greenery of the ghats of Tirunelveli will be missing, I still want to go around.

Can you please help me plan on how I should divvy up the time for these places ? How much time should I plan for?

Day 0
Bangalore - Salem

Day 1
Salem - Ettayapuram - Tiruchendur

Day 2
Tiruchendur - Manapad - Vattakottai - Kanyakumari

Day 3
Kanyakumari - Kanyakumari local sightseeing, including Padmanabhapuram

Day 4
Kanyakumari
Suchindram
Nagercoil
Pechiparai Dam
Perunchani view point
Kalikesam Eco Camp: Is it suitable for children and families in general?

Day 5
Kalikesam Eco Camp
Tirunelveli (Local sightseeing - temple, Iruttukadai etc)

Day 6
Tirunelveli
Manimutharu Waterfalls
Manimutharu Dam
Manjolai Estate : Any special permissions required to visit?
Upper Kodayar Winch Station
Papanasam : Any good hotel recommendation to stay?

Day 7
Papanasam Movie that last scene : does anyone know the exact spot where it was shot?
Mundanthurai tiger safari: Can someone tell me where exactly is the safari point, timings, whether it is bookable online etc? How many safari points do we have?
Agasthiyar falls
Kariyar Dam
Banatheertham falls
Agasthiyamalai : What parts of Agasthiyamalai can I visit / even if it involves trekking in a day?
Papanasam (Stay)

Day 8
Papanasam-Courtallam-Tenkasi temple-Vettuvankovil Srivilliputhur temple

Day 9
Srivilliputhur
Srivilliputhur Grizzled squirrel sanctuary: Is there any organized walk/trek/sighting arranged by the forest department?
Bangalore.

Request experts if
  1. I can cut down the number of days with this agenda ? Am I overspending time anywhere?
  2. Any other offbeat, nice places I'm missing?
  3. How is the sighting of animals usually at Mundanthurai Tiger reserve?
  4. While I know that I'm cramming in too much, time is not a constraint. Want to find out how many days required to do these ideally.

Last edited by airguitar : 26th March 2024 at 12:58.
Old 26th March 2024, 21:21   #2
BHPian

Re: Tirunelveli Sightseeing

Any specific reasons for doing Bangalore - Salem on Day 0 ( which is 3-4hrs drive) - unless you are starting in the evening on Day 0 or planning to go & see places around Salem, I would suggest going till Madurai, stay there visit temples and see the places around that.
Then Day 1 - Madurai - Ettayapuram - Tiruchendur
Road till Thoothukudi is NH ( Toll Road). Post that roads will get narrow as you move further away from Thoothukudi
Day 2, 3, 4 - Looks fine
Kalikesam - Could be dry at this time ( better to check with any locals there)
Day 5, 6 - Fine
For Manjolai Estate - You will need to get permission from Forest Dept ( Please search for youtube videos on that)
Day 7,8 - The Water falls in these areas could be dry. For other areas, any locals could provide information.
Day 9 - Srivilliputhur - I think this is the Sathuragiri Hill trail ( may need Forest Dept permission and there are specific days on which they allow - better to check the locals)
Krishnan Koil - Thirumangalam - 4 way lane under construction so there will be a few diversions.
Thirumangalam - Bangalore - NH ( Toll Road ) - Could take 7-8 hrs ( if you add breaks it could extend by 30-45 mins). So plan your start time based on what time you want to reach Bangalore.
Overall the plan looks good.
Ananthponraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2024, 22:38   #3
BHPian

https://maps.app.goo.gl/cym9mrFdyGL1dA9L8?g_st=ic
Try to visit this place on the way to Papanasam. It’s a check dam that is away from regular road and it is mostly without any crowd. From this parking spot, you have to walk a bit. I’ve been here 5-6 times and only once there was a group of boys but the place is wide enough to enjoy without any bother.
TorquePull is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2024, 08:47   #4
Senior - BHPian

It is not just dry, it is also hot season to roam around. A colleague who just went this weekend, says it was hotter in Tirunelveli and Kanyakumari than it was in Madras We went in April few years back with a similar experience. Waterfalls are best suited in SW monsoon time. KMTR is beautiful in NE monsoon as well.

Papanasam is a very small town with 2-3 hotels, so please plan and go.

There is no parking around Nellaiappar/ Iruttu Kadai. Its a busy market area.
narayans80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2024, 11:12   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ananthponraj View Post
Any specific reasons for doing Bangalore - Salem on Day 0
I need to start after work that day. So any headstart will be useful for the next day as I expect to spend quite sometime at Ettaiyapuram.

Quote:
Kalikesam - Could be dry at this time ( better to check with any locals there)
I booked myself at Anantya by the lake, on the backwaters for Chittar-2 dam for two nights. That provides me a great opportunity to explore the southern side ( Chittar, Perunchani, Kodayar, Pechiparai, Kalikesam ). THe Kalikesam camp looks basic (as any ecotourism camp should) and may not be the choice for my family. If traveling alone, I would have taken it. But I will still drive to it.

Quote:
For Manjolai Estate - You will need to get permission from Forest Dept
Kalakad, Mundanthurai and Manjolai - all used to have online reservation capabilities from the KMTR website. Right now Manjolai rooms are not shown.

Quote:
Day 9 - Srivilliputhur - I think this is the Sathuragiri Hill trail ( may need Forest Dept permission and there are specific days on which they allow - better to check the locals)
Sathuragiri seems to be the upper reach of this. Meenvetti falls/Nupura gangai/Kattalagar temple via Shenbagathoppu seems a more 'approved' route to get into the sanctuary. Kansapuram - Vallapalam Periyakaruppusami temple seems to be the other regular route into the sanctuary. Nothing listed as activities on their website.

Quote:
Overall the plan looks good.
Thanks so much for patiently reviewing. I need to add/remove a few things and hopefully I can get back to you with a second version for your validation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
It is not just dry, it is also hot season to roam around. KMTR is beautiful in NE monsoon as well.
Agreed, but rather than going to a hillstation and jostle with crowd, I want to explore these peacefully, even though they will not be at their beautiful best. On a related note, Kalakad rooms and dorm and Mundanthurai rooms and dorm are bookable online as far as I see. Rooms are very basic. Do you know if there are Safaris at these places, esp as they are tiger reserves? For all this, I might actually skip exploring Ambasamudram-Papanasam zone this time. Will stick to eastern (Kalakad) and Southern ( Kodayar ) for this trip and do the northern parts after the rains. Though still reworking the itinerary at this point. But they clearly mention that a high GC vehicle is required to get to any accommodation in KMTR.

Quote:
Papanasam is a very small town with 2-3 hotels, so please plan and go.
Sure.

Quote:
There is no parking around Nellaiappar/ Iruttu Kadai. Its a busy market area.
Yep, normally I take an auto from the hotel. To get a parking slot, you have to be extremely lucky; especially in the evenings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorquePull View Post
https://maps.app.goo.gl/cym9mrFdyGL1dA9L8?g_st=ic
Try to visit this place on the way to Papanasam. It’s a check dam that is away from regular road and it is mostly without any crowd.
Thanks so much

I'll post an updated itinerary and with additional items researched later this week.

Last edited by airguitar : 27th March 2024 at 11:18.
Old 28th March 2024, 07:38   #6
Senior - BHPian

Permission to go to Manjolai has been restarted a month or so back. As far as I heard only 10 four wheelers are allowed in a day on first come first served basis. Entry at 8 AM and we have to reach back Manimuthar Checkpost by 5 PM. No overnight stay allowed as of now I think. Also please be aware the roads were damaged extensively during the December floods and they have not been restored completely though they have been repaired so expect the roads to be "bad / very bad" in some of the stretches.

Also last heard one need not take permission at the Wildlife Warden office, Ambasamudram, instead proceed directly to the Manimutharu Checkpost. Please keep multiple photo copies of the Aadhar of yourself and the other occupants in the vehicle along with originals. You can go only up to Kakkachi so going to Upper Kodayar TNEB facility is not possible in my opinion. You could possibly check with @Mselvak44272998 on Twitter. He is a native of Manjolai estate and may have the latest updates.

I dont know when are you planning this trip in April. But please be aware there is a very high chance the plains of South TN may be seeing afternoon temperatures in the region of 39 / 40°C between the period 5th to 10th April. Though some reduction may be there after that but still it is expected to be around 38 / 39°C

Last edited by pypkmsrikanth : 28th March 2024 at 07:40. Reason: Added details
pypkmsrikanth is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th March 2024, 19:57   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
Permission to go to Manjolai has been restarted a month or so back. A... instead proceed directly to the Manimutharu Checkpost. Please keep multiple photo copies of the Aadhar of yourself and the other occupants in the vehicle along with originals. You can go only up to Kakkachi so going to Upper Kodayar TNEB facility is not possible in my opinion. You could possibly check with @Mselvak44272998 on Twitter. He is a native of Manjolai estate and may have the latest updates.
Oh wow, what a solid from-the-ground update! Thanks for the Upper Kodayar update! And yes, totally aware of the road conditions. If I take my Thar, I will certainly go all the way to Kakachi. But if it's my Creta, I will skip.

Do you also know if I can get to Lower Kodayar from the other side ( i.e. from Pechiparai side )?

Re temperature: yes I'm aware, but that's the preferred destination for the family as they have not see K.K and T.Chendur :(

Last edited by airguitar : 28th March 2024 at 19:58.
Old 28th March 2024, 22:10   #8
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar View Post
I have a few days at Tinneveli in April. While I understand that it's a dry season and the lush greenery of the ghats of Tirunelveli will be missing, I still want to go around.

Can you please help me plan on how I should divvy up the time for these places ? How much time should I plan for?
[*]Any other offbeat, nice places I'm missing?
[*]How is the sighting of animals usually at Mundanthurai Tiger reserve?
[*]While I know that I'm cramming in too much, time is not a constraint. Want to find out how many days required to do these ideally.[/list]
Some general tips -
Apart from heat, it is election day on 19 April. So plan accordingly. I would suggest to go after 19 April to avoid issues.

Last year end floods destroyed many roads in the entire belt. So expect roads broken except GQ.

Kanyakumari - Explore Mathur thotti Palam if interested. I don't think there will be water in Thirparappu falls and if it is there it will be crowded. Chitral Jain caves are nearby. Apart from Padmanabapuram palace, this is the usual tourist circuit. For temples, Susindharam Thanumalaya swamy temple, Nagercoil Nagaraja Swamy temple and Thiruvattar temple is good. There is a small river front before Thiruvattar temple which is nice.

Anantya by lake is a nice resort as you booked for stay and is in rubber estate and it will be quite hot. Vaikundham legacy next is same. If you want to stay relatively remote and desolate, Indian hermitage Marungur is decent.

Tirunelveli-Tenkasi: Janakiram is the best place to stay in junction. Try Sodhi meals if on Fridays. After the bus stand is shifted it is relatively less congested.

As others told, Manimutharu and Manjolai estate is open but as per whims of forest office. There is no place to stay in estate. Only kuthirai vetti has a KMTR dorm which can be done only by Jeep or Thar not suitable for family stay. Anyway now nobody is there. Upper estate people vacated it few years ago. You can go beyond Kakkachi and upto Nalu mukku if road is repaired though permission is till Manjolai only. Ensure you order lunch by getting the mobile number of food joint in the higher reach at Manimuthar check post itself. Have pollution control certificate handy to show. Road is very narrow so check bus timing as in some places you cannot even give way. It will be a lot hot in summer. Upper kodaiyar is EB controlled and they have guest house. Unless you have contacts, one cannot go there.

Papanasam has only basic lodges. Vijay lodge is okay. I suggest to stay in Ambasamudram like Ambai grand hotel or home stay in Ambai or Kallidai or Surandai and do day trips to Papanasam, etc. Don't expect any tourism facilities like in Kerala. Karaiyar is controlled by TNEB and cannot be visited without contacts. Banatheertham is also closed. Agasthiyar falls is open.

Paddy crop is just cut, so expect fields to be brown in the district. I am just back from there last week. If interested in Sunflower farms, visit Sundarapandiapuram or Sambavar Vadakarai. Not sure of flower season. If you go near Sengottai border, visit Achan kovil, Kumba urutti falls and Kundaru dam on TN side.

Last edited by thanixravindran : 28th March 2024 at 22:18.
thanixravindran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th March 2024, 14:03   #9
BHPian

Quote:

Re temperature: yes I'm aware, but that's the preferred destination for the family as they have not see K.K and T.Chendur :(
Manjolai is doable with permission from Forest Office in Ambasamudram. They open at 10am and permits are issued First Come First Serve basis. You need to carry copies of aadhaars of all along with RC copy. You have to fill a permission form and produce with the copies and the slip will be issued immediately. But do note that roads aren't in great shape.

If you don't want to go to Manjolai, but only to Manimutharu falls, then this permission can betaken from the entry checkpost to Manimutharu.

Mundanthurai safaris are open now after closing for tiger census last month. There is no advance booking as far as I know.

I have converted our 100 year old house to a homestay in Alwarkurichi in the vicinity of Ambasamudram. https://theagrahara.in.

I can provide more specific details if you need. Like others mentioned, this is typical summer season there. So not the best time to view the natural beauty of the place. But this is the case pretty much across South. There are a lot of unique temples you can visit around, if you are into that.

Last edited by luvurride : 30th March 2024 at 14:10.
luvurride is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th March 2024, 16:13   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
Permission to go to Manjolai has been restarted a month or so back. As far as I heard only 10 four wheelers are allowed in a day on first come first served basis. Entry at 8 AM and we have to reach back Manimuthar Checkpost by 5 PM. No overnight stay allowed as of now I think. Also please be aware the roads were damaged extensively during the December floods and they have not been restored completely though they have been repaired so expect the roads to be "bad / very bad" in some of the stretches.
Recently saw that KMTR site had re-opened stay bookings for Kuthiravetti, with a disclaimer running in homepage that only SUVs will be allowed due to road conditions.
adetour is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2024, 17:12   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adetour View Post
Recently saw that KMTR site had re-opened stay bookings for Kuthiravetti, with a disclaimer running in homepage that only SUVs will be allowed due to road conditions.
In all probability the roads may not be completely redone I think considering the lease with BBTC is going to end in 2028 and already the estates are gradually winding down operations in the higher reaches. SUV may be the only viable option from now on for these places
pypkmsrikanth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2024, 20:07   #12
BHPian

I did the trip successfully and it was enjoyable despite the heat ( which peaked at 43 degrees near Kovilpatti ).

Day 0: Started at 7pm from Whitefield. 11pm Salem.

Day 1: Salem - Ettaiyapuram (Bharatiyar house, Ettappa Palace, Kali temple, Muthuswamy Dikshitar memorial ) - Panchalankurichi ( Veerapandia Kattabomman fort ) - Ottapidaram ( VOC house ) - Arumuganeri ( in search of the famous Kattabomman bells ) - Tiruchendur. The stretch between Peikulam to Ambedkar Nagar and thereabouts is so lush green, thanks to the perennial Tamiraparani.

Day 2: Tiruchendur temple - Theri Kadu Dunes - Kanyakumari.

Day 3 : Kanyakumari - Suchindram - Aralvaimozhi windmill road - Nagercoil temple - Padmanabhapuram - Anantya

Day 4 : Anantya - Neyyar - Anantya - Chittar 1 - Chittar 2 dam - Lower Kodhaiyar Dam ( Denied permission ) - Pechiparai dam ( visited the dam and the backwater which is accessible via the CSI church road : you can actually take a dip in the water and there is quite a bit of water - in fact, nearly full ) - Perunchani dam ( had to request many times before they let us in ) - Anantya.

a) At Pechiparai checkpost, they didn't let us go further to Kodhaiyar. They said that entry was allowed only when the Kodhaiyar falls has water. Despite clear boards that vehicles will be allowed at a charge, I was not allowed. Returned without being able to visit.

b) Likewise, near Pechiparai Police station, the gate was closed. I was hoping to drive up to a village called Thottamalai the road for which would go along the backwater, but the gate was closed. They said that we could walk a bit to get some good views or ask someone to open the gate ( the person was not found and I didn't want to invent excuses to venture into a cordoned off area )

c) The good thing is that there are Govt buses to all these places : Pechiparai, Keeriparai, Kothaiyar and at each place I could see the buses either going to the destination or returning.

Day 5 : Anantya - Thirupparappu falls ( absolutely nothing right now ) - Thadikkarankonam - Kalikesam temple / river ( Kalikesam entry closes by 3pm, opens at 9 am ). There was some greenery and the river still gurgled gently along. Was a good experience; then took the Andithoppu road to Aralvaimozhi ( Boy, what a wonderful scenic road ) and then to Tirunelveli (Iruttukadai Halwa and Temple ). Took an auto from the hotel to temple and on the return leg, the kind auto driver showed us important landmarks in the city ( e.g, the double decker bridge from the 70s, Sulochanamudaliar bridge and the story behind it, Vanchai Vilas eatery etc ).

Kalikesam:

Day 6: Tirunelveli - Kayatar (Kattabomman memorial ) - Bangalore. 580 kms in 8.5 hours driving sedately below the speed limit.

I couldn't visit the following due to the paucity of time
a) Kalakad
b) Mundanthurai
c) Manjolai
d) Banatheertham
e) Navakailayam
f) On the Tiruchendur side ( Vanamamalai, Vana Tirupathi, Punnaikayal, Alwar Thirunagari, Sri Vaikundam )
g) Karaiyar
h) Servalar
i) Upper kodhaiyar
j) Kurukkuthurai Murugan temple

Anantya is a fabulous place, glad we booked there!

Thanks all for the inputs. Tinneveli sure has a lot of places.

Last edited by airguitar : 15th April 2024 at 20:12.
airguitar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th April 2024, 23:17   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Anantya is a fabulous place, glad we booked there!
Anantya is a known good place and has been for a long time since am aware. The only catch like you said is to target the right places and actually being able to make it.

One side is the Ambasamudram side of the geography. This basically means you cant stay at Anantya but need find a place somewhere closer and mostly you will find only basic facilities.

Around Anantya I would rather venture more into the KL side to explore. The dams and wild-life reserves are a tricky affair. Will need some prior planning and co-ordination.

And last but not least, the Tirunelveli-Tuticorin-Tiruchendur triangle is a good belt to explore!

Last edited by ampere : 26th April 2024 at 12:45.
Old 26th April 2024, 11:40   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

Once side is the Ambasamudram side of the geography. This basically means you cant stay at Anantya but need find a place somewhere closer and mostly you will find only basic facilities.
Totally right : Anantya is not for exploring Ambasamudram area. The hotel, Ambai Grand, is the only decent option for exploring Ambasamudram and around. Alternatively, if one is ok with more spartan setups, the KMTR accommodations at Manjolai or Mundanthurai are worth it.
airguitar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks