Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2010, 16:24   #151
BHPian

Thank you Kadri, MCR and gopikb for the timely update - we are leaving tomm morning.

As suggested by gopikb, we would take this route - B'lore - Hassan - Chk'lur - Balehonnur - Sringeri ( darshan ) - SK border - Kudremukha - Kalasa - Horanadu ( Halt ) SUN, 23/5 - Horanadu - Kalasa - Kottigehara ( Via magundi ) - Charmadi Ghat - Ujire - Guruvayankere ( attend a marriage function ) - Uppinangadi - Shiradi ghats - Hassan - Bangalore.

gopikb, surprising that the 30 odd km road connecting sringeri to Kudremukha - Karkala road is better than the basarikatte route. In 2008, it was the other way round ! - then, it took us almost 2 hours from Sringeri to the SK border junction - was like driving on a narrow cliff !

Thanks again, Rgds,
Rao
Old 21st May 2010, 16:46   #152
BHPian

Hi Rao, I am not sure about the road condition from Sringeri to SKBorder as I didnot drive through that route two weeks ago. But SK Border to Horanadu is excellent since I took this route on the way to Dharmasthala. I was hearing the people in the bus that got stuck that the driver should have gone through kudremukh from Sringeri to Horanadu and was guessing that the route is good being an NH
Old 24th May 2010, 15:32   #153
BHPian

Good roads throughout !!

We drove on this route to visit Horanadu, Sringeri, Guruvayankere to attend a function and Dharmasthala ( sat, 22/5 - sun, 23/5 )

Bangalore - Hassan : 4 laning in progress till Bellur cross, Chennarayapatna

Hassan - Belur : excellent, as always

Belur - Mudigere, 37 km ( via gonibedu ) - newly laid aspalt, smooth and broad. Surprised.... when did this happen ? enjoyed.

Mudigere - Kottigehara, 13 km : a few potholes have re emerged for a couple of kms between hand post circle and banakal - not as bad as 2007, 08 though.

Kottigehara - Kalasa : we initially planned to take the longer magundi route ( 50km ), but when we enquired at Ukkada ( 6 kms from kot'hara ), we got a green signal for kelagur estate, hirebail route ( 39 km ). Enjoyed driving on curvy, smooth, newly relaid road all the way to Kalasa.

Kalasa - Horanadu, 13 km : rough as always - dangerous at a couple of hair pin bends - speeding buses and local jeeps.

Horanadu - Basarikatte - Jayapura - Sringeri : narrow till jayapura, but good road. Unfortunate that member gopikb got stuck behind a bus - may happen during the rains.

Sringeri - SK border, 31 km : excellent, relaid, black top road... simply cruise. treat for the eyes with peacock crossings...

SK border - Bajagoli : good, as always.

Bajagoli - Guruvayankere, SH37, 32 kms : good, smooth, scenic road.. all the way.

Guruvayankere - Ujire - Dharmasthala - NH48 junction between Nellyadi and Gundya : patched at some portions, overall good

Gundya - Hassan - Bangalore : Old glory restored !! for how long ?? no mining trucks in shiradi - atleast not on a sunday !

hope this helps..
Old 21st July 2010, 10:29   #154
BHPian

Blr to Kukke help

Hi,

Iam planning a trip to Kukke this weekend via Madikeri. Need to know whether there are heavy rains in this part or it is safe to travel during this time.

Thanks,
Old 21st July 2010, 11:07   #155
Senior - BHPian

KPGB, its been pouring hard last few days and i can there has been continous rains for last 1 month in this part, if you are not comfortable driving in rains then i would suggest to postpone your plans.
Old 21st July 2010, 11:14   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
KPGB, its been pouring hard last few days and i can there has been continous rains for last 1 month in this part, if you are not comfortable driving in rains then i would suggest to postpone your plans.
Thanks for the quick response lohitrao. I'll better postpone the trip to be on the safer side since there are elderly people travelling and i don't want to be stuck in case any thing happens.Thanks again.
Old 21st July 2010, 11:28   #157
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPGB View Post
Thanks for the quick response lohitrao. I'll better postpone the trip to be on the safer side since there are elderly people travelling and i don't want to be stuck in case any thing happens.Thanks again.
I think the best time would be Oct/Nov, when every thing is subsided. Coorg you should be OK I guess, but not Kukke.
Old 19th December 2011, 14:04   #158

Bangalore -> Sringeri -> Hornadu -> Dharmastala Route directions and planning

Hi Guys,
I am planning to go to Bangalore -> Sringeri -> Hornadu -> Dharmastala -> Bangalore trip. Guide me the route direction. Also let me know whether my below plan is good or any changes required?
If any body came across road condition on these route...ur suggestions are most welcome.

Car: Swift VXI ( 2 families with 2 small kids)

1st Day:
My plan is to start from Bangalore at 5AM and reach Belur.
Visit Channakeshava temple and then start to Sringeri. The same evening go to Hornadu and overnight stay.

2nd Day: After temple visit, start to Dhamastala and overnight stay.

3rd Day: After temple visit, start journey back to Bangalore.

Last edited by Jaggu : 19th December 2011 at 14:42. Reason: Please use Search before opening a new thread. Thanks
Old 19th December 2011, 17:05   #159
BHPian

Re: Bangalore -> Sringeri -> Hornadu -> Dharmastala Route directions and planning

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururaj View Post
1st Day:
My plan is to start from Bangalore at 5AM and reach Belur.
Visit Channakeshava temple and then start to Sringeri. The same evening go to Hornadu and overnight stay.

2nd Day: After temple visit, start to Dhamastala and overnight stay.

3rd Day: After temple visit, start journey back to Bangalore.
Recently I did this trip with a bit of modification.
1. Bangalore - Hornadu
2. Hornadu - Sringeri-Dharmasthala
3. Dharmasthala - Belur - Bangalore

I believe in your plan the day 1 will be a little hectic. The road after Belur is not very good. I can say 20% road is not good in this trip. Hornadu - Sringeri one road is closed, so you has to take a round about...
Old 20th December 2011, 09:25   #160

Re: Bangalore -> Sringeri -> Hornadu -> Dharmastala Route directions and planning

I am bit confused here.... From bangalore, hornadu comes first or sringeri?
Old 20th December 2011, 10:07   #161

Quote:
Originally Posted by arin_12 View Post
Recently I did this trip with a bit of modification.
1. Bangalore - Hornadu
2. Hornadu - Sringeri-Dharmasthala
3. Dharmasthala - Belur - Bangalore

I believe in your plan the day 1 will be a little hectic. The road after Belur is not very good. I can say 20% road is not good in this trip. Hornadu - Sringeri one road is closed, so you has to take a round about...

I would like to know anybody went recently on this road? how is the road condition and ghat section?
Old 20th December 2011, 10:45   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururaj View Post
I would like to know anybody went recently on this road? how is the road condition and ghat section?
You are correct. We had different plan but finally we land up to this route.
The road condition is Good in the Ghat section, I can say 10% of road is bad in total ghat section.
Old 15th January 2012, 22:08   #163
BHPian

Re: Blr to Dharmastala/Kukke/Sringeri/Horanadu

I'm planning to go from BLR to Horanad, Sringeri, Dharmastala and back to Bangalore.
I intend to start of 17th Jan 2011 (Tuesday), with the help of google amps i have chosen this route

Day 1 (Start at 6.00am): Bangalore-Channarayyapatna-Hassan-Bellur-Kottigehara, Kalasa, Horanadu (visit temple)-kudremukh-Nemmaru-Sringeri(night halt)

Day 2 (Start at 1.00pm, after darshan and pooja at Sringeri): Sringeri-Nemmaru-Mantrady-Belthangady-Dharmasthala (darshan & night halt)

Day 3 (Start at 8.00am after b'fast): Dharmasthala-Shiradi-Sakleshpur-Hassan-Channarayyapatna-BLR

Im going with my parents, my wife and 2 kids in my Innova.

Can somebody please help me with the following information:
1. Current condition of this route, if the route (road condition is not good) please suggest alternative route/s

2. As I'm going to travelling with my family, please suggest good places for pitstops (veg restaurents and good restrooms)

Cheers
Lottoman
Old 16th January 2012, 05:48   #164
Distinguished - BHPian

@lottoman, I have done a small part of the route you have mentioned. BLR to Belur is good. But between Hassan & Belur, please be careful of the curves. The road looks invitingly smooth, and suddenly you'll find a few curves that are tight for the speeds you would be at. It's 2 lane, un-divided road.

Since I had gone to Sringeri, I took a turn at Aldur to go towards Balehonnur, so I dont know the road towards Kalasa.

Food-stops + rest rooms:
1. Mayura (KSTDC) after BeLLur (not Belur). On the left when going from BLR
2. Kamat Upachar before Hassan.

Sringeri: no advance booking at the temple's lodges. Parking lot is near the temple entrance, but not immediately outside.
Old 16th January 2012, 09:17   #165
BHPian

Thanks condor for your inputs.
Can somebody please tell me the road condition for the following routes.

Bellur-Kottigehara, Kalasa, Horanadu (visit temple)-kudremukh-Nemmaru-Sringeri(night halt)

Sringeri-Nemmaru-Mantrady-Belthangady-Dharmasthala (darshan & night halt)

Dharmasthala-Shiradi-Sakleshpur-Hassan-Channarayyapatna-BLR

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks