Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2023, 15:12   #376
BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Dharmastala / Kukke / Sringeri / Horanadu : Route Queries

Traveled to Sringeri on 21st. Left home in Bangalore at 6:00 AM, Reached Hassan at 9:15 AM and Chikkamagalur at at 10:45 AM.
Road condition - Nothing new to add, same as last few updates from other BHPens.
Had some snacks in World of Coffee cafe and bought filter coffee powders of Madhu Coffee and Panduranga Coffee.
Took deviation from Belur to Chikkamnagalur as advised, road was good except for a KM road which had few potholes.
Reached Sringeri at 1:45 PM, just in time before the closure of temple for the afternoon.
Road condition was good with some roughed up patches, its 2 lane winding road.
Completed darshana and lunch at temple by 2:30 PM.

Bangalore to Dharmastala / Kukke / Sringeri / Horanadu : Route Queries-1.jpg

Bangalore to Dharmastala / Kukke / Sringeri / Horanadu : Route Queries-2.jpg

Bangalore to Dharmastala / Kukke / Sringeri / Horanadu : Route Queries-3.jpg

Bangalore to Dharmastala / Kukke / Sringeri / Horanadu : Route Queries-4.jpg

Bangalore to Dharmastala / Kukke / Sringeri / Horanadu : Route Queries-5.jpg

This is the banana chips factory from which I have been buying chips for a while now. They only had a factory before this which is behind this shop which has been recently opened.

https://goo.gl/maps/NdoULXrna4Fm1TVx8

Note: I have no financial affiliation to this shop, just sharing as i found fresh & good quality products here.

Bangalore to Dharmastala / Kukke / Sringeri / Horanadu : Route Queries-6.jpg

I found these wooden statues on the road side in few places, can someone tell me, what these are?
thirugata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2023, 17:57   #377
Senior - BHPian

Traveled Last weekend from Sakleshpur to Kukke Subramanya

Sakleshpur to Maranahalli is 15 kms full of potholes and road work is very slow took about 25 mins for that stretch
From Maranahalli is concrete road and good surface till Gundya.
Old 3rd February 2023, 20:37   #378
BHPian

Is the Bengaluru - Srirangapatna - Kushalnagar - Somwarpet - Bisle ghat route the only good option for sedans to Kukke temple?
Going all the way to Dharmasthala is too long and Shiradi is a sedan killer as of now.
Old 3rd February 2023, 20:41   #379
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nma83 View Post
Is the Bengaluru - Srirangapatna - Kushalnagar - Somwarpet - Bisle ghat route the only good option for sedans to Kukke temple?
Going all the way to Dharmasthala is too long and Shiradi is a sedan killer as of now.
Yes, this is the only route suited for sedans. Actually, you can take the Kunigal-CR Patna-HN Pura-Arkalgud-Bisile route to Kukke.

Last edited by deehunk : 3rd February 2023 at 20:43.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2023, 21:02   #380
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
Yes, this is the only route suited for sedans. Actually, you can take the Kunigal-CR Patna-HN Pura-Arkalgud-Bisile route to Kukke.
Thanks, so Bisile ghat is in decent shape then.
nma83 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2023, 12:08   #381
BHPian

Hi Team,

Would anyone know of the latest road condition to Dharmasthala from Bangalore? Planning to drive to the temple in a low ground clearance verna.

Should I go in the usual route through Hassan->Sakleshpur->Dharmasthala?
I read through the posts here and in "The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi" and "Bangalore - Kukke Subramanya : Route Queries" thread, but unable to decide.

Please suggest.
Thank you.

Last edited by deadguy25 : 14th March 2023 at 12:10. Reason: updated.
Old 14th March 2023, 13:36   #382
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadguy25 View Post
Hi Team,

Would anyone know of the latest road condition to Dharmasthala from Bangalore? Planning to drive to the temple in a low ground clearance verna.

Please suggest.
Thank you.
Please take the Hassan - Belur- Chikkamagalur - Mudigere - Charmadi ghat - Ujire route to Dharmasthala.
deehunk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th March 2023, 15:09   #383
BHPian

Quote:
Please take the Hassan - Belur- Chikkamagalur (dt) - Mudigere - Charmadi ghat - Ujire route to Dharmasthala.
Took this route, it was pure pleasure. Thank you very much for suggesting it.

Left Bangalore this morning at 5:15 am and reached Dharmasthala around 11:15, after couple of stops for breakfast and nature scenic spots.

The only thing to be careful or watch out for are the unmarked speed breakers from the point you enter Nelamangala road up to Hassan outskirts. Barring this, the road is very nice and there was hardly any traffic today.
Overall drive experience was awesome. There were no bad spots at all.

There was hardly any crowd at the temple today, i guess it is one of those blessed days when God wants you to take a good look at him.

Have a nice day

Last edited by deadguy25 : 15th March 2023 at 15:11. Reason: updated
deadguy25 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2023, 12:03   #384
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore-Sringeri route update
Date travelled: 15th march
route : Bangalore- Hassan- Chikmaglur-Aldur- Balehonnur- Jayapura- Sringeri

Had driven last in December, then there were patchy and rough stretches around Aldur and some bad stretches around Balehonnur too. Happy to report that all these have been patched up now and is very decent surface now, although a bit bumpy. No or very less potholes. Can be easily done in 6-6.5 hours even with couple of pitstops for lunch/breakfast and coffee.
Old 26th March 2023, 14:14   #385
rbp
BHPian

I came back to Bangalore from Kukke Subramanya via Shiradi Ghat, driving in Shiradi Ghat was a pleasure.

Maranhalli to Sakleshpura it was acceptable, few stretches of road was already relaid and few more stretches of the road was being re-laid, it might have been done by now and I would give it a 6.5 out of 10.

Sakleshpura to Hassan, almost 85% of one side is done and I could maintain good pace.

I don't see any reason why anyone should take the longer route over this one to Kukke or Dharmasthala. I was able to do Kukke to Bangalore in 4 and half hours without even driving too fast.

The roads from Bangalore - Mangalore highway turning to Kukke Subramanya have been relaid and I bet they wont last a few days of monsoon showers for now they are OK.

Till the rains arrive, I would suggest everyone to pick this route, Sedan or SUV doesn't matter, there are a few rough patches here and there but the overall time saved is huge.

By the way, I was driving a C5 Aircross.
Old 26th March 2023, 14:28   #386
Senior - BHPian

Thanks rbp for posting this update, but the problem starts from Gundya, even Mod Samurai posted an update about the bad stretch from Gundya to Uppinangadi. So Charmadi has been the best route for driving to Dharmsthala, Udupi and Mangalore from past 4-5 years.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ml#post5515149 (The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi)

Last edited by deehunk : 26th March 2023 at 14:31.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2023, 14:43   #387
rbp
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks rbp for posting this update, but the problem starts from Gundya, even Mod Samurai posted an update about the bad stretch from Gundya to Uppinangadi. So Charmadi has been the best route for driving to Dharmsthala, Udupi and Mangalore from past 4-5 years.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ml#post5515149 (The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi)
@Deehunk, I see your point, so if anyone who wants to visit Kukke and Dharmasthala, I suggest visit Kukke first and from there go to Dharmasthala, Gundya to Kukke, Kukke to Mangalore BLR highway junction, roads are butter smooth, this way you can avoid the broken stretch totally.
rbp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2023, 22:43   #388
Senior - BHPian

Since I was in Dharmasthala, thought of sharing the update Samurai, Hassan-Sakaleshpur-Maranahalli stretch still has pending works, may take a year for completion. After Maranahalli roads are good till Gundya, again after 2 kms roads are worse till you arrive at the deviation towards Dharmasthala. The diversions/curves are not properly marked, the newly asphalted roads make the turns invisible in the night. Shiradi ghat is not safe for night driving.

Last edited by deehunk : 26th March 2023 at 23:05.
Old 7th June 2023, 11:33   #389
BHPian

Hi all,
I am planning a trip to Hornadu & Sringeri this weekend from Bangalore and I need some suggestions.

Planning to start at 6AM from Bannerghatta Rd; the planned routes are:

Bangalore to Hornadu:
Bangalore -> Hassan -> Belur -> Mudigere -> Kalasa -> Hornadu

Hornadu to Sringer (These are Google Maps suggestions; first one is the recommended route and the other 2 are alternatives):
Hornadu -> Shantigrama -> Sringeri (1hr 20min; 42.4KM)
Hornadu -> Balehole -> Basarikatte -> Shantigrama -> Sringeri (1hr 42min; 53.8KM)
Hornadu -> Balehole -> Basarikatte -> Jayapura -> Sringeri (1hr 44min; 62.4KM)

Sringeri to Bangalore:
Sringeri -> Balehonnur -> Aldur -> Chikkamagaluru -> Belur -> Hasan -> Bangalore

Based on previous posts, the best routes for Bangalore to Hornandu and Sringeri to Bangalore are as above.

I need suggestions for the best route from Hornadu to Sringeri.

Also please suggest good restaurants for lunch on the Sringeri -> Bangalore route.

Thanks.
Old 14th August 2023, 13:16   #390
BHPian

I had been to Dharmasthala and Kukke Subhramanya during the weekened starting 12th Aug Saturday
Started early morning hoping to beat the crowd, but many people had the same exact thoughts already!!!
Started from Basaweshwarnagar at 6:15AM and reached Dharmasthala by 13:00 hrs with Breakfast break at the first Paakshala hotel. The four lane road till Hassan is quite good. Hassan bye-pass is definitely begging for repairs, post Hassan till Sakleshpura is undivided two lane and the roads are not so good, with road construction happening at a lot of places. The first half way through Shiradi ghat is in poor state, the other half till Gundya is good and from Gundya till Dharmasthala junction it is scary, half side of the newly laid six lane is open for traffic on both sides and the road edge it quite tall. Dharmasthala junction till Dharmasthala is again mostly single lane with some bits of good road in between.
The connecting road for the Sowthadaka Ganesha temple is SUPERB. Dharmasthala junction to Kukke subhramanya and kukke subhramanya to Gundya is breathtakingly beautiful and the roads are awesome.
I wanted to come thru Bisile ghat while coming back yesterday (Sunday noon) but my friend who owns the lodge where I stayed, checked with some one and informed me that there had been a landslide earlier and the road was not cleared properly. Started 14:30 hrs and reached home by 20:45 hrs.
Total of 612 km from Bangalore to Dharmasthala to Sowthadaka to Kukke Subhramanya and back. Toll paid Rs.200 from Bangalore and Rs.230 to Bangalore.
The performance of the car was excellent as ever with the mileage on the MID showing 22.3 KMPL.
Sunil@KA25 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed