Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2008, 17:06   #91
BHPian

I had been to Kukke during the long weekend. NH-48(Gundya Cross) to Kukke is now a wide, almost smooth road. I would say almost 90 - 95% of the road is good. Earlier the bridges were very narrow but now the bridges are widened and few metres of road before and after the bridges are not laid.

One can cover the distance of Gundya Cross to Kukke in 30 mins (when driven unenthusiastically too).
Old 14th April 2008, 19:14   #92
BHPian

Hi,

I am planning to go to Dharmasthala the coming weekend. My main aim is to drive on the Charmadi Ghats. I have never been through this route. I also plan to go to Hornadu from Dharmasthala.

I need help on two counts:

- What is the route to Dharmasthala via Charmadi? How long would it take to reach Dharmasthala from Blore if I take this route?
- I plan to go to Karkala from Dharmasthala and stay there for the night. Is it better to stay at Karkala or at Moodabidri, if it is on the way. Which has better hotels?

Thanks in advance

S.Suresh
Old 4th August 2008, 18:15   #93
BHPian

Would need help for trip from Mysore

Hi,

I am planning to take my parents to Subramanya, Dharmastala, Udupi in the weekend. Please note that I will be traveling from Mysore. Request you guys help in planning for a route (I drive a Verna and it does not like bad roads) and the order I should visit these places? Subramanya or Dharamastala first?

Regards,
~DWind
Old 4th August 2008, 19:50   #94
Senior - BHPian

Dwind, The route you should take is...

Mysooru - Kushalnagara - Sulya - Puttur - Uppinagadi. here you hit NH48 take right that is towards Blore . need to travel about 15+kms you will find left deviation for Dharmasthala first, from this deviation Dharmasthala is about 20kms...

Its better you visit Subramanya and head towards Dharmasthala as you can take the Ujre - Karkala route to Udupi..

But make sure the Subramanya route is open as due to the heavy rains the the river starts over flowing the bridge which connects...

Also Dharmasthal the options to stay is better compared to Subramanya...

Hope this is helpful..
Old 4th August 2008, 19:58   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
I (I drive a Verna and it does not like bad roads)
Be prepared to go through some bad stretches...
Old 8th August 2008, 10:15   #96
Jay
BHPian

Urgent !!!

Hi, Planning to do Bangalore - Dharmasthala TODAY, planning to leave by 2pm. Just got a call from my cousin informing me about the trip and he wants me to go along with them.

Wanted to know the best route and the road condition. Also what is the Apprx Distance and the travel time ? as i need to make necessary arrangements there.

Last edited by Jay : 8th August 2008 at 10:17.
Old 8th August 2008, 10:30   #97
Senior - BHPian

Roads till sakleshpur town is fine after that the road gets bad... but managable

Note sure of truck traffic during that time but you can easyl go to sakleshpur in about 3-4hrs from nelamangala...shiradi will take some time as the roads are bad and if the truck traffic is there then you will loose some time..

Keep 2 hours from there to Dharmasthala
Old 8th August 2008, 11:36   #98
BHPian

Route - Bangalore / Kukke / Dharmasthala / Sringeri / Udupi / Kollur / Murudeshwara

Dear friends,

I'm planning for a 3 day trip to these places. (Bangalore / Kukke / Dharmasthala / Sringeri / Udupi / Kollur / Murudeshwara) from Aug 15/16
This is the first time I try on long drive (3 days - Tata Sumo Victa)
I will starting from Bangalore and plan to take the route below.
Day 1. Bangalore - Hassan - Sakleshpur - Gundya - Subramanya - Dharmasthala
Day 2. Dharmasthala - Ujire - Guruvayankere - Bajagoli - Kudremukh - Kalasa - Horanadu - Jaipura - Sringeri - Agumbe - Hebri - Hiriyadka - Udupi
Day 3. Udupi - Kollur - Murudeshwara - Back to Bangalore

This is the plan i have on my mind.
a) Is this a feasible plan/ day?
b) Should I start early in the morning / night for ideal visits to the temples?
b) How about the road conditions during this season?
c) My intention is to cover all/most of the pilgrimage places.(Kukke / Dharmasthala / Kalasa / Horanadu / Sringeri / Udupi / Kollur / Murudeshwara)
d) Any websites to find out the distance between these places for a better planning?
e) Any other best practices.

I shall write my travel experience in detail once my trip is finalized.

I have taken many input from this site. Thanks for everyone !!

- Chandra
Old 8th August 2008, 11:48   #99
Jay
BHPian

Hey thanks for the info Lohith,

Well i was woried about the rain, i heard its fine till Sakleshpur and after that is where its raining bad.

We were actually supposed to leave tomorrow morinng, but suddenly my cousin called n told that we'll leave at 2pm :-(

I am thinking of taking the Shiradi ghats as i'm not sure of the Charmadi roads...

By the way, going in a swift... i was thinking 6-7 hours from here to Dharmasthala.
Old 8th August 2008, 11:51   #100
Senior - BHPian

Dont worry about when u will reach, enjoy your drive
Old 8th August 2008, 12:05   #101
Jay
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Dont worry about when u will reach, enjoy your drive
Sure, will do... Just wanted to know the apprx time required with the present road conditions as i need to make arrangements there if required. Thats all.
Anyways thanks.
Old 8th August 2008, 15:56   #102
Senior - BHPian

@chandras
Similar thread exists. you can continue your discussion here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...-horanadu.html
Mods pls lock the thread
Old 8th August 2008, 16:38   #103
Senior - BHPian

Covering these places in 3 days is not possible unless you keep driving night time as well.

Day 1 is just fine If you leave bangalore at 5AM. can reach Dharmastala and visit Temple on 1st day itself - there are some bad roads around Shiradi ghat, Subramanya (check about if road is closed for heavy raining) -- might be around 400km travel.

Day 2: It might be very difficult if there is rush in Temples. Try dharamastala - Ujjire - charmadi - kottigehara - Horanaadu then drive via kalasa - kudremukha - to sringeri. here I feel road around charmadi ghat is quiet ok and there will be bad road of 30km between kottigehara - marasanige - kalasa. I suggest stay in Sringeri itself on Day 2. Because visiting Temples in udupi will be very easy on Day3. Or plan to stay somewhere after Agumbe ghat. Or skip Agumbe and drive directly to Udupi from Sringeri. on day2.

Day3: If you stayed in Sringeri leave before 8AM and drive via Agumbe - Udupi, then you can reach Murdshwara by evening 7PM. You may be interested to take a break near Maravante beech near Kundapur. Visiting Kollur from highway nh17 would take 2 hours extra (1 hour for drive and 1 hour for darshan).

Day 4: Leave Murdeshwara by 8AM and drive via honnavar - Jog Falls - Shimoga - Bangalore by evening 6PM.

If you make it 4 days trip it would be too good!

Regards,

Ravi.

Last edited by ravibhat : 8th August 2008 at 16:39.
Old 8th August 2008, 19:33   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
Covering these places in 3 days is not possible unless you keep driving night time as well.

If you make it 4 days trip it would be too good!
Nicely suggested Ravi, this is the best he can do if he needs to visit all the places or he needs to live for dharmasthala in the night itself so that 3days starts from Dharmasthala
Old 8th August 2008, 19:44   #105
Senior - BHPian

Chandra i think its a too tight schedule, like Ravi suggested if you add a day or two then it would be nice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandras View Post
Dear friends,

I'm planning for a 3 day trip to these places. (Bangalore / Kukke / Dharmasthala / Sringeri / Udupi / Kollur / Murudeshwara) from Aug 15/16
This is the first time I try on long drive (3 days - Tata Sumo Victa)
I will starting from Bangalore and plan to take the route below.
Day 1. Bangalore - Hassan - Sakleshpur - Gundya - Subramanya - Dharmasthala
Day 2. Dharmasthala - Ujire - Guruvayankere - Bajagoli - Kudremukh - Kalasa - Horanadu - Jaipura - Sringeri - Agumbe - Hebri - Hiriyadka - Udupi
Day 3. Udupi - Kollur - Murudeshwara - Back to Bangalore

This is the plan i have on my mind.
a) Is this a feasible plan/ day?
b) Should I start early in the morning / night for ideal visits to the temples?
b) How about the road conditions during this season?
c) My intention is to cover all/most of the pilgrimage places.(Kukke / Dharmasthala / Kalasa / Horanadu / Sringeri / Udupi / Kollur / Murudeshwara)
d) Any websites to find out the distance between these places for a better planning?
e) Any other best practices.

I shall write my travel experience in detail once my trip is finalized.

I have taken many input from this site. Thanks for everyone !!

- Chandra

Most Viewed