Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2007, 20:44   #1
BHPian

Chennai - Hampi : Route Queries

Hi,

I am planning on a trip to Hampi as I have 4 days off coming on the Sep -1 to Sep -4 long weekend.

This is my plan:

Day - 1 : Chennai - Bangalore (stay at BLR)
Day - 2 : Bangalore - Hampi (stay at Hampi)
Day - 3 : Hampi - Bangalore (stay at Bangalore)
Day - 4 : Bangalore - Chennai (back Home)

If anyone has driven on this route could you give me more info on the same? Also, info on the road conditions would be really helpful. I'll driving in my Indica Turbo.

Also, in case you see a better travel itinerary than the one mentioned it would be great , things like if I would need more time at Hampi to admire the place better or otherwise.

Info on the staying places at Hampi are also appreciated.

Thanks,
Saurabh
Old 23rd August 2007, 22:01   #2
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore - Tumkur - Sira - Chitradurga (on NH4) --> road is great throughout

Right turn from Chitradurga to Hampi on NH13 (good 2 lane road)..

For more information read the travelogue below of a friend Rahul which he sent in indiahighways group:
===================
Hampi - of stones & legends...

I had read somewhere - "If dreams were made of stone, it would be Hampi". This ride proved how true it was. I had been planning a ride to Hampi for quite some time now and despite everyone telling me that it'd be hot as hell, I decided to ride to Hampi. Well, it sure was hot but the ride was good. Initially, quite a few people were in for the ride but soon people started dropping out and finally it was the Dubey's who hit the road again - Vaibhav (on his RE Machismo) and me/wifey (RE 500).

17th Mar 2007
Route: Bangalore - Tumkur - Chitradurga - (moved from NH-4 to NH-13) - Hospet - Hampi
Distance: 365 kms

As always, we planned to leave as early as possible but could start only by 7:30 am from M.G. Road. After topping up our tanks at the Shell bunk (approx 4 kms before the Nelamangala junction) and bearing the usual agony of riding through the Yeshwantpur - Nelamangala stretch, we were finally onto the open highway (NH-4) thumping away to Tumkur. We halted for breakfast at Kamat's, around 20 kms before Tumkur. After filling up on dose & chai, we moved on. It started to get hotter and the 4-lane highway with the sun beating down, started to appear monotonous. Searching desperately for some shade/tree but in vain, we finally managed to spot a small dhaba with a charpoy laid out... what a relief ! We had a drink of Mazaa and relaxed for sometime in the welcome shade, before moving on. By the time we hit Chiradurga, it was close to noon. Just as one approaches Chitradurga, there is a Reliance A1 Plaza on the right hand side. We had lunch here and asked for directions to NH-13
(towards Hospet). We were asked to proceed further on the NH-4 till we hit a circle, some 5 kms down and take a right there onto NH-13. Well, so long NH-4 ! It's not all that bad actually - the four-laning is almost 95%completed (the Bangalore-Chitradurga section) with a few stretches on the Tumkur and Chitradurga bypass remaining a mess.

Riding on NH-13 was a welcome break after 200 kms of riding on the four-lane road and we were thumping our way past villages and farms. One point to note here is that there are no decent food/acco facilities from Chitradurga to Hospet, a stretch of around 140 kms. So it is advisable to do the needful in Chitradurga itself, the A1 Plaza being ideally located for the same. Another thing that came to my notice is the dense truck traffic on this highway. I have never seen so many trucks on any highway in such a short span of distance - probably because this is a majot arterial highway connecting central India to south/coastal India. After crossing quite a few villages and one town (Kudligi), we finally hit the Tungabhadra Dam circle, 5 kms before Hospet. Here, you get a grand view of the reservoir and you have to take a right for Hospet - straight takes you to the dam. Getting in and out of Hospet was a nightmare - there were no directions and half the streets in the town are
one-ways. I am seriously thinking of writing a mail to the Karnataka TDC regarding this. Finally we were able to find our way out of town and reached the arch announcing that we had arrived. We took the left turn and were greeted by unexpected greenary all around. We had taken the entrace that directly leads to the Hampi Bazar and we were soon riding past huge boulders and monuments. We rolled into Hampi Bazar around 5 pm. We had a reference from a friend for a home run joint - Ranjana Guest House. We checked in & got a room on the 1st floor with a nice balcony overlooking the Virupaksha Temple. After freshening up, we went for a stroll in the market area. The ambience was very similar to that of Goa or Gokarna... firangs roaming around in tatters and slippers, flea-markets, etc. We had some nice home made food at one of the local cafes and returned to the guest house. We sat on the balcony for some time, enjoying the cool breeze and hit the sack around midnight.

18th Mar 2007

We spent most of this day going around the "hot ruins", as they call it ! The day started with some good breakfast at one of the local joints and we started our sight-seeing with the massive monolithic Ganesha statue. We covered most of the "Royal Center" area and by the time we were through, it was almost 1 pm and it was HOT ! We returned to the base camp (Hampi Bazar) and decided to try out the much recommended Mango Tree restaurant. We had to ride through some really narrow lanes and along the river, park our bikes and walk some distance through a banana plantation. There it was - a HUGE mango tree and under it was the dining area - people relaxing on mats well laid out, enjoying the cool breeze and facing the flowing Tungabhadra river. Well, it was worth the effort and much more. We filled ourselves up with some delicious mango lassi before hogging on the Mango Tree special thali. After over-eating to the limit, we relaxed in the shade for a half-hour before moving back
to the room for a nice afternoon nap.

We slept through the sweltering heat of the afternoon and got up around 4:30 pm. After freshening up and a mazaa to cool ourselves, we went to check out the Virupaksha Temple. Another marvel of architecture and culture, this temple had its own elephant - and no ordinary one at that - it used to accept chadhawa (donation), hand (rather trunk) it over to his owner and then bless the devotee with its huge trunk - quite a scene. After spending some time there, we moved on to the Hemakuta group of structures, situated atop the Hemakuta hillock. It was a short climb up the hill and we got wonderful views of the surroundings - Virupaksha Temple, the market area and the structures atop the hill. We sat there, amidst many tourists, to watch the sun set, soaking in the calmness that was creeping in on the town with the cool breeze ruffling our hair. After the sun set, we were again down in the market, roaming around. Soon it was dinner time and we had pancakes for a change. After
some more strolling around, we hit the sack around mid-night.

19th Mar 2007
Route: Hampi - Hospet - Chitradurga - (moved from NH-13 to NH-4) - Tumkur - Bangalore
Distance: 365 kms

By the time we hit the road, after a hearty breakfast of masala-dose's, it was 9:30 am. Negotiating through Hospet was again a terrible experience and we heaved a sigh of relief once on the NH-13. We clicked some more snaps of the T.B. Dam reservoir and were again thumping away amidst the hundreds of trucks crawling on the highway. By the time we hit the A1 Plaza at Chitradurga, it was around 1 pm. We had a stumptuos lunch and relaxed for some time before hitting the road again. The heat was taking a toll on us and we had to stop more frequently for water-breaks. Nearing Tumkur, it started to get cooler and by the time we hit Nelamangala, it was around 6 pm, much to our relief. Traffic was surprisingly low and we were at M.G. Road by 6:45 pm. From there on, it was stop and go and by the time we were home (Marathahalli), it was around 8 pm.

Another wonderful ride and kudos to my Bull, it never missed a beat !!

Till the next ride... happy thumping !!

Rahul

PS - Stay tuned for the pics, coming up soon...
===========================
Old 23rd August 2007, 22:07   #3
Senior - BHPian

BTW, Saurabh, is it necessary for you to go via Bangalore, I think you should also consider the following route:

Chennai - Tirupati - Anantapur (all along NH205)
Anantapur - Gooty (on NH7)
Gooty - Bellary - Hospet - Hampi (on Nh63)

Dont know about the road conditions on NH63 but Chennai to Gooty road is generally good...If you can start early morning from Chennai, you can reach Hampi by evening..

Abhi
Old 23rd August 2007, 22:15   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
BTW, Saurabh, is it necessary for you to go via Bangalore, I think you should also consider the following route:

Chennai - Tirupati - Anantapur (all along NH205)
Anantapur - Gooty (on NH7)
Gooty - Bellary - Hospet - Hampi (on Nh63)

Dont know about the road conditions on NH63 but Chennai to Gooty road is generally good...If you can start early morning from Chennai, you can reach Hampi by evening..

Abhi
But Gooty-Guntakal-Bellary road is perpetually awful, especially at the AP-Karnataka border. Plus, I also heard that Bellary-Tornagallu-Hospet road was also in a bad condition (not sure about the current condition). Facilities are virtually non-existent utside the large towns Bellary and Hospet.
Old 23rd August 2007, 22:33   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
But Gooty-Guntakal-Bellary road is perpetually awful, especially at the AP-Karnataka border. Plus, I also heard that Bellary-Tornagallu-Hospet road was also in a bad condition (not sure about the current condition). Facilities are virtually non-existent utside the large towns Bellary and Hospet.
THanks Kumar Sir,
Well Saurabh, then in that case, it is better to stick via bangalore, roads and facilities are better !

Abhi
Old 23rd August 2007, 22:40   #6
BHPian

Are the road conditions on the route via Bangalore in good conditions till Hospet? I mean due to the rain and everything, also the idea of traveling to Hampi in this season is alright, right?
Old 23rd August 2007, 23:52   #7
Senior - BHPian

Its the GQ till Chitradurga. Except for the Tumkur bypass and small patches near Chitradurga, the road is excellent. Chitradurga to Hospet I'm not very sure of. As you near Hospet the road conditions seem to get worse. I was there last year during the Independence Day timeframe. TB dam was full. The sluice gates were all open and it was a sight to watch. This meant the river was in spate in Hampi. Its the same this year also.

Hampi would be hot and humid now due to the rains. Hampi is surrounded by mountains of rock. Expect low 30's. Nothing that anyone from Chennai can't handle. :-)
Old 24th August 2007, 08:56   #8
Senior - BHPian

Any idea how is NH63 - from Hubli-Dharwad to Hospet via Gadag ? ( Yahoo! India Maps )

I have a feeling that Bellary iron ore trucks would have destroyed that road as well.

PS: akroy, your post should be a seperate travelogue thread !! Post some pics as well, if u have any.

Last edited by spadival : 24th August 2007 at 09:06.
Old 24th August 2007, 12:16   #9
rkg
Senior - BHPian

we have gone to hampi in jan 2005. it requires minimum of two days stay at hampi to visit all the places. three would be nice.
A Forgotten Empire: Vijayanagar By Robert Swell-Book 1 Chapter 3
it is better to go through the history to appreciate hampi ruins better. one can buy the book by robert swell on hampi with photographs.
it is better to stay at hospet( 10Km from hampi) it is cheaper ( more alternatives for food and accomodation) only accomodation availble at hampi if KSTDC guest house.
but form chennai it will be more than 700 km if one goes through bangalore. check the distance vis the route suggested by AKRoy. if it is less better to go through it.
day 1 -chennai -hampi (morning to evening)
day2 -3 - stay at hampi
day 4 hampi - chennai
but hampi is worth seeing.
u need vehicle. it is a total area of 26 Sq KM of ruins created between 1365-1565 AD.

Last edited by rkg : 24th August 2007 at 12:17.
Old 24th August 2007, 12:49   #10
BHPian

I had been to hampi this year during March. Road is good through out. Near chitradurga small stretch was under repair. Chitradurga to Hospet road was in good condition - 2 lane highway - but expect continous flow of trucks from both sides. Some bad roadhumps near small towns on the way (just very few of them, anyway watchout for them). Roads within Hospet/hampi itself were pretty bad though..
Old 24th August 2007, 15:11   #11
KVS
BHPian

I drove from Kadapa to Pune in Jan this year. The route I took is Kadapa-Gooty-Guntakal-Bellary-Hospet-Gadag-Hubli-Kolhapur-Satara-Pune.

Kadapa to Guntakal The road is very good. From Guntakal to Bellary, the road is very very bad. Virtually the road is non existent. My Indica survived the entire ordeal. All your time calculations will go for a toss. I wanted to night halt at Hospet, but by the time I reached Bellary it was too late. My suggestion is to avoid this road.
From Hospet to Gadag, the road is OK. One side of the road is completely bad, because of the heavy mining trucks. Gadag to Hubli road is very good and virtually no traffic.
Old 26th August 2007, 20:14   #12
BHPian

thanks guys. Decided on going to Yercaud this time around. Hampi would have to wait for a while.
Old 27th August 2007, 16:17   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KVS View Post
I drove from Kadapa to Pune in Jan this year. The route I took is Kadapa-Gooty-Guntakal-Bellary-Hospet-Gadag-Hubli-Kolhapur-Satara-Pune.

Kadapa to Guntakal The road is very good. From Guntakal to Bellary, the road is very very bad. Virtually the road is non existent. My Indica survived the entire ordeal. All your time calculations will go for a toss. I wanted to night halt at Hospet, but by the time I reached Bellary it was too late. My suggestion is to avoid this road.
From Hospet to Gadag, the road is OK. One side of the road is completely bad, because of the heavy mining trucks. Gadag to Hubli road is very good and virtually no traffic.
Do u have the time breakup for each leg of the journey? Would be usefull for Pune guys heading out to Hampi.
Old 1st January 2008, 13:07   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-BoleroBoy View Post
Chitradurga to Hospet road was in good condition - 2 lane highway - but expect continous flow of trucks from both sides.
Is it better to take the SH 19 from Hiriyur via Challakere, Molakalmuru to join back to NH 13 at Kudligi?
Old 1st January 2008, 14:34   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindamray View Post
Is it better to take the SH 19 from Hiriyur via Challakere, Molakalmuru to join back to NH 13 at Kudligi?
Better to take the Hiriyur - Challakere - Bellary and then onto NH63 to Hospet...Hiriyur - Bellary is an excellent 2 laned stretch, NH63 stretch from bellary is bad but can be averaged 50km/h...

Abhi

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks