Team-BHP - Madikeri > Mangalore Or Hassan > Mangalore ??
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   Madikeri > Mangalore Or Hassan > Mangalore ?? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/28103-madikeri-mangalore-hassan-mangalore.html)

Hi,

If anyone has driven down from Bangalore to Mangalore in the last 2-3 weeks i.e. Post monsoon, could you please update me on which is a better route ?

1. Bangalore > Hassan > Mangalore
2. Bangalore > Mysore > Madikeri > Mangalore

Ps: I know the Shaklespur ghat is pathetic, However since all Trucks now ply Mlore > Madekeri. Want to know if the roads on that route also are ruined?

Thanks
-Ches

I had been on Bangalore > Mysore > Madikeri > Mangalore route around a month back and it was far better that Bangalore > Hassan > Mangalore route.

I would suggest you go through Madikeri route if your going on your own vehicle...

Vijay

CDcruz, Welcome to TBhp. Please search next time :)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...tml#post545336

Guess the mods will merge the threads shortly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vijay_k (Post 545160)
I had been on Bangalore > Mysore > Madikeri > Mangalore route around a month back and it was far better that Bangalore > Hassan > Mangalore route.

I would suggest you go through Madikeri route if your going on your own vehicle...

Vijay

Vijay's suggestion seems to be your best option.

I just returned from Mangalore this week.

Mangalore - Sakleshpur is nothing short of hell. If im not mistaken that is the Shiradi ghat and there is NO ROAD. Only loose rubble and craters to choose from. Sakleshpur - Bangalore is a decent drive.

Havent taken the Madikeri route but spoke to someone this afternoon who recommended it as she regularly drives through there to Sulya.

cdcruz try the route done by theMAG recently. Read his travelogue here .

He did the trip exactly a month back.

Another possible route .. A scenic one ... Distance may be an extra 50kms ...
BLR - HASSAN- BELUR- JANNAPURA-MUDIGERE-KOTTIGHERA(the road condition is not that good at Kottigehara) - CHARMADI-BELTHANGADY-GURUVAYANKERE-B.C.ROAD- MANGALORE

You're right to avoid the Sakleshpur section. Look at the Charmadi, Coorg or the Goa route.

Best route would be the overhead one.. i.e. fly to M'lore. I am planning to do the same next month, in about a couple of weeks time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by spadival (Post 545650)
Best route would be the overhead one.. i.e. fly to M'lore.

If he waits for another month, the 12-yr postponed BLR-MLR passenger train should be available, according to our respected Railway Minister

Ooh yes I read that article in the newspaper and was also on TV-9 news the other day.

Lets hope that this time around nothing crops up and the railways do something concrete to make this project happen.

Once done am sure a drive to Mangalore and beyond through Sakleshpur will be bliss. Contemplating on the fact that the traffic in the ghats should reduce with the goods trains plying.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjstyles69 (Post 545692)
Ooh yes I read that article in the newspaper and was also on TV-9 news the other day.

Lets hope that this time around nothing crops up and the railways do something concrete to make this project happen.

Once done am sure a drive to Mangalore and beyond through Sakleshpur will be bliss. Contemplating on the fact that the traffic in the ghats should reduce with the goods trains plying.

Goods trains ply between BLR-MLR already Riju. Where us road freaks will find relief is leaner bus traffic - which incidentally is also the reason why various lobbies with private commercial interests have successfully "influenced" governments abt not allowing passenger trains so far.

Mahesh if goods trains were plying already why so much of havoc with the trucks on the highway ? What was aired on TV-9, clearly mentioned that " the introduction of this railway line would reduce the truck traffic too " .

Just my thought !! I have never seen a link from Hassan to Mangalore(I could be wrong too).

Buses have always been there and they aren't that much of a menace except for the one's after dawn.

Quote:

the reason why various lobbies with private commercial interests have successfully "influenced" governments abt not allowing passenger trains so far.
Exactly what has been happening over the years. Wonder how many politicians got rich by this.

All they have to do, create a hoax saying we are gonna start railway services and next moment you have private operators standing at their doors with suitcases full of , you know what.

I believe the goods trains are plying between M'lore and Hassan, not M'lore and B'lore. Anyway, I don't relish the prospect of traveling by goods train :p

Under the current circumstances, I think the best road condition would be on the route which Sushurtha highlighted - BLR - HASSAN- BELUR- JANNAPURA-MUDIGERE-KOTTIGHERA - CHARMADI-BELTHANGADY-GURUVAYANKERE-B.C.ROAD- MANGALORE

Yep even I too have heard of goods train plying between Mangalore - Hassan & vice versa.

Thanks for the inputs,
And Goods trains are plying between Mlr and Blr since the past 5-6 months on the same Mlr - subramanya - shaklespur - hassan route.
I know this for sure cause my dad retired from the railways at Mangalore, and his colleagues who are still working confirmed it.

Just as an FYI, whenever a new track is laid (In this case converted from meter gauge to broad gauge). First goods trains run on it for a couple of months as it helps the track to set prior to running passenger trains.

One reason the Passenger train is getting delayed is due to the heavy bus, truck, and LPG tanker lobby which I believe is bribing the authorities to delay the project as much as possible.

Couple of days back, my wife travelled by bus from Bangalore to Belthangadi via Shiradi ghat. And she said the route seems to be ok now and the bus arrived almost on time @ 6:30am.. well.. there was an hour's delay, But thats nothing compared to the days when the buses used to reach Belthangadi in the afternoon at 2pm !!