Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2009, 16:20   #166
BHPian

Please advice the best route

Hi Guys, I need your inputs. I am planning for a trip during new year 2010 weekend.
(I am traveling alone and looking for company - if anyone interested, please PM me - I can drive all the way to and fro, but looking for company so that i don't feel bored, dates: 31st morning start from Hyd and return start on Sunday 3rd morning around 10am or something, based on company, I can change my routes)

Vehicle: Swift VXi ABS (2008)

Starting Point: Hyderabad
Destination: Vandavasi, Tamil Nadu (in Kancheepuram Dist.)
Route options: Chennai(via Sagar) or Chittoor/Vellore - please see below.

To reach Vandavasi, what are the best options among the below ones? Or are there any better routes?
(As per the distances this is what I understood from other posts and Google Maps)

Route1: Hyderabad-Sagar-Macherla-Karempudi-Addanki-Chennai-Vandavasi
Distance: Hyderabad to Chennai(via Sagar,karempudi,addanki)->650km + Chennai-Vandavasi->100km = 750kms

Route2: Hyd-N.Sagar-Macherla-karempudi-Nakirikallu-Narsaraopet-chilakuluripet-Chennai-Vandavasi
Not sure if this is a good option

Route3: Hyderabad - Kurnool - Cuddappah(Kadapa) - Chittoor - Vellore - Vandavasi
Distance1: Hyderabad-Chittoor->574km + Chittoor-Vandavasi(via Vellore,Arani)->117km = 691km
Distance2: Hyderabad-Chittoor->574km + Chittoor-Vandavasi(via Ranipet)->108km = 682km (skips Vellore)

Please suggest the best route.
Distance is no issue - driving smooth, less traffic, good experience is what I want.

Please also advice on food stops.
Old 21st December 2009, 17:33   #167
BHPian

I was supposed to goto Vijaywada and Hyderabad on Decemeber 23. But due to political un rest my Family and Friends have adviced me not to go. I am very disappointed. Anyone travelled after December 4 2009? Any problem on the highway? Pls update.
Old 21st December 2009, 17:40   #168
BHPian

Hey Sameer I did travel on Dec 5 night, highways are fine. the issue which we dont know is recently in Macherla there have been issues, but looks like not a problem in highways.
Old 21st December 2009, 17:42   #169
BHPian

Hello Swordfish, I will chose Route 2, because its very smooth and nice except for 2-3 kms.

Route 1 is fine - except that i doubt the Karempudi-Addanki route.
Other team members here can update about this- from Karempudi i saw one route going to Vinukonda, I am assuming this is route to Addanki.
Old 21st December 2009, 17:46   #170
BHPian

thanks sri. But I seriously doubt if I will be doing the trip.
Old 21st December 2009, 17:46   #171
BHPian

Srikanth,

Did you travel by car or did you take the regular volvo service. I have booked my tickets for my father in law in dhanunjaya travels this weekend and I just want to make sure whether the bus services are ok.

Regards,
Venkatesh
Old 21st December 2009, 18:21   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venki.bala View Post
Srikanth,

Did you travel by car or did you take the regular volvo service. I have booked my tickets for my father in law in dhanunjaya travels this weekend and I just want to make sure whether the bus services are ok.

Regards,
Venkatesh

Hi Venkatesh,

If your question is about the Hyderabad-Chennai Route which Dhanunjaya travels or any other travels takes? this is fine. I am just back from Chennai - Took the volvo from hyd-che and back che-hyd this weekend(18th and 20th Nov). These busses take the Sagar route - Not exactly sure on more details on the route (I mean via addanki or chilakaluripet)but things are just fine and don't worry. The volvos are more careful than us the passengers for not getting into trouble. and I believe agitators wont be there to stop anyone in the middle of a cold winter night and when no media is there. They will go home and sleep under a warm quilt. So do not worry about the route and don't make your father-in-law worried.
Old 22nd December 2009, 06:52   #173
BHPian

Hi Swordfish,

Thanks a lot for the information. Yeah, Volvo's are expensive so they get better treatment by their owners than the passengers.

Regards,
Venkatesh
Old 22nd December 2009, 10:09   #174
BHPian

hello venki, i took my car. I hate travelling in buses, dont ask why.

swordfish is right - try to go in the night or atleast half travel in night - for ex from hyd to macherla if you can cover early morning - after that there wont be any issues, in another 2 hours you will reach chilalakaluripet, its NH5 after that - which is absolutely clean and clear from all troubles.

Start very early.
Old 22nd December 2009, 10:12   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordfish View Post
Route3: Hyderabad - Kurnool - Cuddappah(Kadapa) - Chittoor - Vellore - Vandavasi
Distance1: Hyderabad-Chittoor->574km + Chittoor-Vandavasi(via Vellore,Arani)->117km = 691km
Distance2: Hyderabad-Chittoor->574km + Chittoor-Vandavasi(via Ranipet)->108km = 682km (skips Vellore)
These would be better options as compared to coming via Chennai as you would lose a lot of time crossing Chennai, not to forget upto Kurnool anyway its 4 laned so you would not waste much time. I think the Vellore - Arani is better as compared to the Arcot - Arani. You would not have much eating options between Kurnool and Chittoor so suggest you have some thing at Kurnool and then opt to take a break again at Cuddappah. Once you come closer to Chitoor you would have more options as it joins the Chittoor - Tirupathi stretch.
Old 22nd December 2009, 17:12   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
These would be better options as compared to coming via Chennai as you would lose a lot of time crossing Chennai, not to forget upto Kurnool anyway its 4 laned so you would not waste much time. I think the Vellore - Arani is better as compared to the Arcot - Arani. You would not have much eating options between Kurnool and Chittoor so suggest you have some thing at Kurnool and then opt to take a break again at Cuddappah. Once you come closer to Chitoor you would have more options as it joins the Chittoor - Tirupathi stretch.
Hi Srikanth,

Thank you for the inputs.
Any inputs on how the road is between "Kurnool-Cuddappah-Chittoor-Vellore" ?

Any pointers on food spots in Kurnool, Cuddappah, Chittoor?
Any bi-pass roads that I should take?
Old 23rd December 2009, 11:50   #177
BHPian

Hi Swordfish,

Just spoke to my friend who is from Arani. He says the arcot- arani road is not that good lots of potholes and some of them are big enough to break the rims. He says Vellore - Arani is good.
Old 23rd December 2009, 12:42   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venki.bala View Post
Hi Swordfish,

Just spoke to my friend who is from Arani. He says the arcot- arani road is not that good lots of potholes and some of them are big enough to break the rims. He says Vellore - Arani is good.
Hi Venki, thanks much for the info. I appreciate your help by calling someone and findingout. Priceless. thanks you. will take vellore-arani.
Old 26th December 2009, 12:40   #179
BHPian

Kurnool-Panyam-Cuddapah-Chittoor is a nice traditional 2 lane road. Expect very low traffic. But do not travel on nights. As mentioned, there is absolutely no good hotel for eating and to stay in this route.

Again never try this route in the night as there re reported naxel effects...
Old 27th December 2009, 22:49   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhanasekaran View Post
Kurnool-Panyam-Cuddapah-Chittoor is a nice traditional 2 lane road. Expect very low traffic. But do not travel on nights. As mentioned, there is absolutely no good hotel for eating and to stay in this route.

Again never try this route in the night as there re reported naxel effects...
Thanks Dhanasekaran,

Both ways i will be travelling at morning times only.

Thanks a lot for your feedback on the route. Was a little nervous on that part - but not now.

Thanks.

Most Viewed