Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2012, 15:17   #361
BHPian

Re: Hyderabad to Chennai - Best route, time, distance & road conditions

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
If I were you, I would take the route via Vijayawada since the 4 laning between Hyderabad and Vijayawada is more or less complete as per posts on various threads on this forum (I do remember reading that it is 98% complete).

This is the only route which will allow you to keep on a 4-lane highway right throughout.
I agree, this is likely to be a time saver f the other roads are not in good condition. If you are uncertain, via Vijayawada could be a good option.
Old 6th August 2012, 17:37   #362
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venki.bala View Post
Bhuvan_prasad: Super timings. How did you manage that? How many breaks did you take? I thought this route will take more time than the regular - Nellore - Ongole route.

This is the second time i've taken this route and have managed similar timings both times. This time i thought i could do it in 9.5 hours but I took it easy on the Anantapur - Hyderabad stretch as my brake pads were due for replacement. There is no real bad stretch in this route and as long as you keep going at a lively pace this timing is quite doable. I stopped 3 times. Once to fill fuel, once for a loo break and once to stretch and eat some of the stuff i was carrying.
bhuvan_prasad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2012, 12:49   #363
Senior - BHPian

The Hyderabad to Vijayawada stretch is complete but for one 4 km stretch and some other small diversions. The diversions are at Choutuppal, Kodad and Nandigama. Someone did Vijayawada to Hyderabad in under 4 hours last night.
Ravveendrra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2012, 15:55   #364
BHPian

Re: Chennai - Hyderabad route

Hey guys,

I will mostly be travelling by car from Chennai to Hyderabad with my wife. So could you suggest me the safest route along with good highways. I generally don't do long distances by car.

Google maps is offering me these 2 options.

OPTION1:
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=C...mra=ls&t=m&z=7

OPTION 2:
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=C...&t=m&via=1&z=7

Any help would be well appreciated. I don't mind the extra distance if the route is better and safer and better to drive on

Last edited by xtremeshock : 11th October 2012 at 15:58. Reason: Wrong Link
Old 11th October 2012, 16:26   #365
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremeshock
Hey guys,

I will mostly be travelling by car from Chennai to Hyderabad with my wife.
Best route is Chennai-RedHills-Naidupeta-Nellore-Ongole-Vijayawada-Suryapet-Hyderabad.

Chennai-VJA NH5 fully 4laned
VJA-Hyd NH9 fully 4 lanes except for some bridge works at Suryapet.You should be able to do the distance in 10hrs.6laning work between Guntur and VJa might slow you down a bit.Restaurants hardly exist in nH5 so carry food with you.Between VJA and HYD stop at 7-Refresh at Suryapet an excellent food court.

Where in Hyd are you headed to?depending on that you could either take the outer ring road or else drive through LB Nagar crossroads
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2012, 17:28   #366
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremeshock View Post
Hey guys,

I will mostly be travelling by car from Chennai to Hyderabad with my wife. So could you suggest me the safest route along with good highways. I generally don't do long distances by car.

Google maps is offering me these 2 options.
I prefer Option #2 - Chennai - Vellore - Chittoor - Madanapalle - Kadiri - Ananthapur - Gooty - Kurnool - Hyderabad
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2012, 17:42   #367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee

I prefer Option #2 - Chennai - Vellore - Chittoor - Madanapalle - Kadiri - Ananthapur - Gooty - Kurnool - Hyderabad
I second this route. Vja - Hyd is very good but chennai - vijayawada lot of construction happening. So better to stick option 2. Safe and good.
venki.bala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2012, 18:00   #368
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Quote:
I second this route. Vja - Hyd is very good but chennai - vijayawada lot of construction happening. So better to stick option 2. Safe and good.
This route shows that it is around 800kms. The route I said was around 670kms via Tada-Srikalahasti-kadapoa to reach NH40

How long did you guys take to cover it?
Old 11th October 2012, 22:18   #369
BHPian

Quote:
This route shows that it is around 800kms. The route I said was around 670kms via Tada-Srikalahasti-kadapoa to reach NH40

I would not suggest this route as Kadapa - Kurnool is being 4 laned and there are a lot of diversions. The best route would be NH5 to VJA and then NH9 to Hyd
Old 12th October 2012, 02:35   #370
Senior - BHPian

I second the opinion of Ranjit. If you are looking for stress free and good road through out, Chennai-Vijayawada-Hyderabad is the option.

You will get very good 4L from Chennai-Vijayawada (6 Laning is on, but nothing to worry about).
Vijayawada-Hyderabad 4L is almost complete.
rameshnanda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2012, 09:42   #371
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No, I haven't taken that route yet; it was Chief's suggestion during Aug 2012 & hence I passed it on to you.
Old 12th October 2012, 11:32   #372
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

This is a long route would add 100+ km, as other suggest if NH5-NH9 route is good its a better option.

I did part of this route took Madras-Nayudupeta-Kalahasti-Rajampeta-Kadapa-Tadipatri-Gooty to Mantralaya. Tada-Kalahasti takes you through the city, Nayudupeta is a wider road and bypasses Kalahasti. Road is pretty good, but speed breakers are omnipresent all through. I did Kadapa in 5-6 hours and additional 3.5 hours to Gooty. You are looking at like 12-13 hour drive this way.

Kadapa-Kurnool is under 4-laning, so is not a suggested route.
Old 12th October 2012, 12:18   #373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Quote:
Quote:

All these other options were being considered during the time when road widening work was in progress on the Vijayawada-Hyderabad NH9.This 4 laning is now complete and this should be the preferred route from Chennai to Hyd.5.5 hrs(Red Hills-Vijayawada) Vijayawada-LB Nagar X Roads:4.5hrs (or faster depending on style of driving).6laning work doesnt eat into your driving style or time as diversions are well marked on nH5 and there is enough space to drive on and its just a small stretch.If you choose to go via Tada route,Chittor route etc you would lose time negotiating state roads and potholes.Dont go by kilometers ground reality sadly is a different story.

You havent mentioned where in Hyd you are headed out to,so assume you know if you would want to take the ORR or go via LB Nagar.
ranjitp1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th October 2012, 13:51   #374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1

All these other options were being considered during the time when road widening work was in progress on the Vijayawada-Hyderabad NH9.This 4 laning is now complete and this should be the preferred route from Chennai to Hyd.5.5 hrs(Red Hills-Vijayawada) Vijayawada-LB Nagar X Roads:4.5hrs (or faster depending on style of driving).6laning work doesnt eat into your driving style or time as diversions are well marked on nH5
Not. Sure about the timing Ranjitp. Last week when I travelled in Volvo it took about 8. 5hrs from vijayawada to chennai koyambedu with no stops. When I asked the driver why it took so Long he said road construction activity as the reason.

Last edited by venki.bala : 12th October 2012 at 13:59. Reason: Spelling mistake
venki.bala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2012, 20:50   #375
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not. Sure about the timing Ranjitp. Last week when I travelled in Volvo it took about 8. 5hrs from vijayawada to chennai koyambedu with no stops. When I asked the driver why it took so Long he said road construction activity as the reason.
8.5 hrs. for a stretch of 460 kms is too much.

6 Laning work is on between Chennai and Krishnagiri too. This stretch is 250 kms and I am able to do this in 3 hrs if driven between 90-110 kmph. For 460 kms, it shouldn't take more than 5.5 to 6 hours.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks