Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2008, 10:46   #61
BHPian

Yes,bblost.Thats the route.
One correction - the map shows the route via Karempudi and Vipparala .
But in reality ,you dont notice this diversion towards Vipparala at Karempudi.
Dont worry ,actually this route is not good.
Continue straight through Karempudi and you will end up at Piduguralla.Continue straight and reach Addanki (you touch Vipparala enroute)!
You might notice on the second map you attached, a small single line from Piduguralla to Vipparala.In fact this is a big road,smooth with occassional speed bumps at villages!!
So,happy driving.
regards
Old 11th June 2008, 11:25   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Ummm... I do not know why you guys say Miryalguda road is so bad. I travelled on that road just 1.5 months back. I was driving down from Chennai to Hyderabad in an Indigo. That too in the night.

While right after Adinki where you take the left turn the road condition tells you that you left the fabulous NH but it is not so bad either. It is very much driveable unless of course you are one of those F1 drivers. You just have to keep your eyes open for those once in a while potholes which you will have to avert.

And yes, the distance becomes much lower than if you had to take the Vijaywada route. Go for it bblost, its doable.
Good to know that this route is ok now. When I posted a query in Dec, 2007, many responded that there are nasty potholes on that route near Miryalguda. My BIL also travelled on that route in 2006 Dec and almost got his Alto's rim bent on a massive pothole.
Well bblost, since you seem to be the adventurous type, I suggest you go via Addanki and return via Cuddapah. What say?
Old 11th June 2008, 11:45   #63
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Good to know that this route is ok now. When I posted a query in Dec, 2007, many responded that there are nasty potholes on that route near Miryalguda. My BIL also travelled on that route in 2006 Dec and almost got his Alto's rim bent on a massive pothole.
Well bblost, since you seem to be the adventurous type, I suggest you go via Addanki and return via Cuddapah. What say?
I meant, its no carpet, agreed. In fact there are potholes and some of them are bad. But the road is wide enough and the traffic pretty low. So thats give you the chance to spot and avert these potholes. That is to say it is not one of those road laid around potholes kinds. But you will have to drive between 60-80 kmph for sure.
Old 11th June 2008, 11:50   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
I meant, its no carpet, agreed. In fact there are potholes and some of them are bad. But the road is wide enough and the traffic pretty low. So thats give you the chance to spot and avert these potholes. That is to say it is not one of those road laid around potholes kinds. But you will have to drive between 60-80 kmph for sure.
Oh, ok. Then I guess it must be similar to the one we took from Srisailam to Nagarjunasagar. It was sort of ok, with sparse traffic, but it passed through some scenic agricultural fields with hills on one side. I think the route we took was via Dornala and Zangareddygudem, and this route merged with the Adanki-Macherla route somewhere near Macherla.
Old 11th June 2008, 11:51   #65
Team-BHP Support

Actually I agree with Zappo on the road conditions if they have not changed over the last year.
The road was quite good for 80kmph.
anticipating the speed breakers was the key to a good drive here.

I did see a Zen take off and land hard due to a speed breaker.
The zen was about 20 feet behind me.
He saw me slow down, decided to floor it and overtake me.
Old 16th June 2008, 12:14   #66
Team-BHP Support

I had to take the Miryalguda route as I was driving alone.
Rather the known devil than having a delay and facing my Mom's anger.

Anyways. I left Nampally at 5:40 AM in the morning.
Entered Chennai' Moolakadi-Padi cutoff at about 4:30 PM.

Did a fuel top around 350 kms and got a milage reading of 19.20 kmpl.
This is the milage recieved for the State Highway run.

I have not yet topped up after the 300 kms National Highway. But from the looks of the fuel gauge it looks to be better that the earlier reading.

Also topped out on my longest Drive without a break.
Ongole to T-Nagar Chennai. Some 320 odd kms, Non Stop.
Old 16th June 2008, 12:22   #67
Senior - BHPian

bblost, 11 hours is pretty fast. You've got great mileage.I've never got more than 16.5 on my WagonR on long journeys with 100% AC. Perhaps I drive faster (90-110).
Can you give us an update on the roads, and distances from point to point?
Old 16th June 2008, 12:37   #68
BHPian

@bblost: yes pal an update on the Miryalguda route conditions would be great. Am driving down to Chennai on the 18th or the 19th. Have done this route on my Santro before and have found it Ok. Hope it hasn't deteriorated or whatever. Can live with a few potholes but hate traffic on long drives, unless I'm driving alone.
Old 16th June 2008, 13:51   #69
Team-BHP Support

The route I took.
From Nampally I got onto the VIjaywada Highway via Dilsukh Nagar.
this highway has very heavy traffic.
I dont normally drive rash and prefer a gap of atleast 20 feet or more between me and other vehicles. This tends to become very inviting for others to butt in.
I generally let them as I know once the road opens up I can make up any lost time.

Took the Miryalaguda bypass at Narkatpally.
The road is decent but as always mentioned there are a lot of speed breakers. Not all of them are marked. If you see any houses coming be prepared for a speed breaker.
Anticipation is the key to crossing the speed breaker country.
I did miss one but still managed to clear it without much problem as my speeds were low.

About 70 kms ahead of GUntur the road for Adanki cuts off.
The road is still decent but the speed breakers continue to ruin the trip.

This road gets a 60 - 80 kmph speed rating from me.

The NH5 is connected about 30 kms ahead of Ongole.
It was about 346 kms when I stopped at a COCO bunk and had a couple of hot rotis with dal fry and a water botte (Rs 56). Topped up the Petrol and calculated that the milage was 19.20 kmpl. Felt very good about it.

NH5 is a charm. I picked up my speeds to about 90 kmph. A constant move between 80 and 100 brought me to the Moolakadai/ Padi cutoff by 4:30 PM.

Chennai traffic took its toll on my speed as its MAD.

My speeds were not crazy high but still good enough to cover 630 kms in about 11 hours. AC was on for 95% of the time.

Air preasure was checked in the morning at 35 psi.
Made the drive a litle bouncy but settled down when I gave someone a lift from Nellore. It was the manager of the Nellore Toll Booth.
Found a heavy crosswind across the entire route.

If wind resistance at 60 kmph is x. At 80 its x^2 and at 100 its x^2^2.
its keeps moving up. (This is my science and it has no fundamentals backing it, its based on what I feel). More the resistance more the fuel you will burn to overcome it.

Keep a constant speed of about 100 -+ 10 and shorter breaks, your milage will be high.

Great road as of last Saturday.

Addon: a whiff of WD 40 solved my wiper juddering problem.

Last edited by bblost : 16th June 2008 at 13:57.
Old 16th June 2008, 14:47   #70
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the updates, bblost.
What was the distance to the Narketpalli detour? Can we infer that the entire road from that point till you reach NH5 has your 60-80 km rating, or is it only from that point 70 Km ahead of Guntur. Do you have to pass through towns, or are there bypasses?
Old 16th June 2008, 21:35   #71
Team-BHP Support

Roughly.
60 kms on the Hyderabad-Vijayawada Highway. speed rating: 60 ~ 100. its either fly or crawl.

You cannot miss the Narketpally cut off.
Just follow the Guntur sign boards.

about 300 kms on the Narketpally-Miryaguda-Adanki stretch. will not recommend over 80 on this stretch. You leave the Guntur road after crossing Pidugurala.
You will cross thru a lot of villages. Every village will have either 2 or 3 speed breakers.

After Adanki its NH5. This is one of the best highways roads in India. You fly at what you want. Of course the tractor and the bike will make special guest appearance on the wrong side of the road.

I am driving back on 25-June.
Will ask my wife to note down time-location-odo readings. To get a perfect picture.
Old 16th June 2008, 22:17   #72
BHPian

Chennai to Vijaywada - The route is excellent. I had taken this route on 6.6.2008 and the average speeds in a SWIFT can safely go up to 70 - 75.

The roads are really nice and the only thing you must ensure is that you don't doze off because of the smooth roads.
Old 26th June 2008, 12:00   #73
Team-BHP Support

I drove back yesterday.
Route was the same as the earlier drive.

Filled Xtra Premium (regular not available) in Chennai and reset counter to 0.
Topped up with 1000 bucks of Power (regular not available) at 450 kms.
I drove 660 kms in all before the fuel top up today morning.
Milage: 17 kmpl.
Time: 12 Hours. (Adyar till Dil Sukh Nagar)

My wife slept almost the whole way.
So every speed breaker and bump was taken at snails pace.
Also the AC was set at fan 2 and coldest.

I still cannot believe my earlier milage of 19.2.
But I am sure of the reading.
AC was set at fan speed 1 and just about cool.
Non Stop driving and speeds always in the region of 60 and 80.

Got the refill at Chennai messed up because of doubtfull quantity/ quality of fuel,
I will avoid the first HP bunk as soon as you get off the Guindy over bridge in Guindy.
Old 26th June 2008, 16:16   #74
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the update, bblost. It looks like the ant in your profile followed you all the way to Chennai and back
Old 26th June 2008, 16:23   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Thanks for the update, bblost. It looks like the ant in your profile followed you all the way to Chennai and back
That's an avtaar not a profile

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks