Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 6th June 2021, 09:04   #856
BHPian

Default Re: Hyderabad - Chennai : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgo2016 View Post
Since you are a doctor, you can put up a story saying it's a medical emergency and your needed there. Further you can scan your ID card and upload them during E-pass registration. This should certainly get you the pass.
Thank you. I applied yesterday using my medical registration. Should see. This is a bit unfair that people can travel by flight or train without any registration while we need a pass to travel by road.

Aside, this is my first solo trip. Any suggestions/precautions? I've done a Madurai trip with my wife, but we split driving and it's also a shorter distance compared to Hyderabad.
Old 6th June 2021, 09:42   #857

Quote:
Originally Posted by professor.march View Post
Thank you. I applied yesterday using my medical registration. Should see. This is a bit unfair that people can travel by flight or train without any registration while we need a pass to travel by road.

Aside, this is my first solo trip. Any suggestions/precautions? I've done a Madurai trip with my wife, but we split driving and it's also a shorter distance compared to Hyderabad.
Much depends on the start time at Hyd. If your concerned about driving during nights, I would suggest to drive in broad daylight. May be starting at 6 or 7am at Hyd you can easily reach Chennai by 5pm with couple of pit stops. Most of NH16 (Ongole to Chennai) is flawless and triple digit speeds can be maintained constantly.

Keep yourself hydrated a lot during the trip and segment the trip in 3 or 4 milestones to achieve and it would be easily doable. Have sufficient food ready as backup as not much eateries are available enroute except for Tea / Coffee shops.
letsgo2016 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2021, 09:57   #858
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The road is fine but very few food options on the way for large stretches of the road except roadside dhabas. Carry some food with you if you’re a finicky eater. Or prescribe yourself Imodium
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2021, 11:45   #859
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I'm a doctor. So I was wondering if I can show my id card at the borders? The epass website is asking for proof. What proof do I need to show to just travel to be with family, I don't understand.
I always use my Aadhar card as ID proof. I upload a screenshot of the softcopy (pdf) when it needs the id in an Image format.

There is a very good restaurant close to Ongole. Its right on top of a Toll Gate. This is the best place to halt. The food is good and the washrooms are clean.

But given the current Covid situation, my last drive I had packed up food and even tea before starting the trip.
bblost is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2021, 13:12   #860
Team-BHP Support

I applied for the Telangana E-PASS to drive back to Hyderabad from Chennai. But after 24 hours its status was still showing as "Pending".

I tweeted to https://twitter.com/TelanganaCOPs requesting for approval.
Within a couple of minutes they tagged https://twitter.com/hydcitypolice

The approval came within a few minutes from them.

I finally get to return to my wife and kids after more than 2 months.
bblost is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th June 2021, 16:31   #861
BHPian

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I ended up taking train from Chengalpattu to Peddapalli yesterday evening. I was actually starting from Thiruporur and had to go to Karimnagar. So it would have been more than 800 km end to end. And I had night duties all week, so my sleep cycle was shot. I applied twice for epass. First time, I ended up choosing cyberabad while my permanent address comes under rachakonda. The pass was rejected with a message to apply to rachakonda district. I reapplied but I got approved only by noon yesterday. Too late to start by car. It's a very confusing system as compared to the Tamil Nadu e-registration.
Old 10th June 2021, 21:14   #862
Team-BHP Support

Pass Details are here: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ml#post5078441 (Interstate travel with the Covid-19 restrictions)

Route Update.
Not much traffic. But a lot of motorcycles around towns.
NAM Highway is yet to accept FastTag. They do have a QR sticker to accept money from UPI. I did not use that and instead had kept adequate small denomination notes and coins with me.

Food and Coffee was packed. So no halts at any shops or restaurants.

Paid 102.xx for one liter of petrol at Pidugurailla (Reliance).
bblost is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st July 2021, 10:47   #863
BHPian

Drove from Chennai to Hyderabad on 29th. Started from Thiruporur and reached LB Nagar. Total distance of 674km and a driving time of 9:22.

Some points that I noticed.
-Chennai outer ring road is pretty good. But there was no exit from the ORR towards the Chennai Kolkata highway. Took a u turn below the ORR, then came back towards the highway and finally drove the last 100m in opposite direction towards the toll. Very very bad.
- I felt the Chennai to Nellore stretch was very smooth. No road undulations etc.
- stopped for lunch at a dhaba after Nellore. Proper highway style where truckers stop.
- 6 lane highway from Nellore but the road quality wasn't that great. There were lots of roadworks going on with only 1 lane open.
- NAM expressway is decent but lot of traffic in piduguralla. Took me at least 10-15 minutes to cross the town. Some bad stretches in between as well.
- Road was terrible from the moment "toll road ends" sign appeared near pochampally all the way till hayatnagar. Worst piece of stretch on my entire trip.

It was my first solo road trip and I'm extremely satisfied. Looking forward to many more in the future.
professor.march is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st August 2021, 13:30   #864
BHPian

Quote:
Drove from Chennai to Hyderabad on 29th. Started from Thiruporur and reached LB Nagar. Total distance of 674km and a driving time of 9:22.
Thank you for this update.

Is there any e-pass / RT-PCR requirement at the moment to cross TN-AP & AP-TS borders ?
Old 1st August 2021, 16:46   #865
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanksta View Post
Thank you for this update.

Is there any e-pass / RT-PCR requirement at the moment to cross TN-AP & AP-TS borders ?
Nothing at the moment. Police were only stopping truck drivers at the borders. But the road at Andhra to Telangana border near Vishnupuram is very bad.
professor.march is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2021, 21:39   #866
Senior - BHPian

Not exactly Hyderabad, but did a Kurnool-Madras drive this Sunday through a non-regular route.

The route taken: Kurnool-Nandyal-Mydukur-Badvel-Sangam-Nellore-Madras

Kurnool-Nandyal-Mydukur is mostly good 4-lanes with 3 diversions where you have to drive on a single lane. The only place where it is not clear is Nandyal bypass. You have to take the bypass bridge. As a first timer I missed it, then went around and took the bridge.

Mydukur-Badvel-Nellore route is something I've been planning since 2018, but never happened until this Sunday. The route is a wide 2-lane end to end. The section between Mydukur and Sangam is tarmac. From Sangam to Nellore is concrete. Traffic is minimal almost till Buchireddipalem. From there is mild to moderate traffic till Nellore. Road stays straight as an arrow for the most part, but the gradient keeps changing like the good ol' Chittoor-Bangalore 2-lane days. This road joins towards the northern end of Nellore, so took a left and took the bypass around Nellore. There is one small section beyond Badvel that is bad. You can set cruise to 100 and drive most of the stretch. The bad news is there is no decent restaurant end to end. There might be 1-2 in Badvel town, but nothing beyond that.

Nellore-Madras - Nothing to complain on tarmac. The bridge that was taken out by Nivar last year near Audi Shankara college is still under construction. Highly doubt its going to be ready for this NE monsoon season. That diversion is a good 2-3 km long. Absolutely no progress on the bridges on the TN side of NH5. The diversions remain as they were in December 2020.

We entered NH40 around 1100 and crossed Annanagar about 1845, with breaks worth about 45 minutes.

For anyone looking to do Madras-Mantralayam, you have to combine this post plus this (Bangalore - Mantralayam : Route Queries).
Old 8th September 2021, 16:53   #867

Any idea if going via Vijaywada route is a better journey overall, considering that it is 100Km more and may be adds another 1 hr atleast to overall journey but has NH 65 and 16 almost all the way thru ?
Old 8th September 2021, 18:11   #868
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman84 View Post
Any idea if going via Vijaywada route is a better journey overall, considering that it is 100Km more and may be adds another 1 hr atleast to overall journey but has NH 65 and 16 almost all the way thru ?
Nope. Suggest the NAM expressway and then the NH16 route anyday considering the current conditions. The route you suggested was a good option 3-4 years ago, but not any more.

NAM expressway has some diversions, route through villages but nothing that cannot be managed.
racer_ash is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th September 2021, 18:51   #869
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The only pain point in NAM is Pidugurrala that doesn't have a bypass. Even then its a much easier town to pass than Vijayawada. Difference would easily be over 2 hours.
narayans80 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 12:43   #870
BHPian

Quote:
Getting in and out of Vijayawada is a pain. Avoid it at all costs and use the NAM expressway. Apart from Pidugurala town crossing the NAM expressway is good and you will save an hour or two.
hydtraveller is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed