Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2019, 11:01   #781
BHPian

Re: Hyderabad - Chennai : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Thanks to the suggestions shared by BHPians, my trip to Chennai and back was smooth! Now, after 4 months, it is time to revisit Chennai (this week or next week). Should I stick to the same route?

Last time, there were a lot of road work going on throughout the route. Is there anything new to look out for this time? Also with the onset the rains, are the road conditions good like earlier?
Sorry, If the reply is too late. Yes, Nalgonda route is in good shape. I just traveled 2 weeks back. I think there is just one or two bad patches while going from CHN-HYD post addanki. All road work is done.
virgovencat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2019, 15:46   #782
Senior - BHPian

A colleague of mine had to drive down to Chennai last Sunday and return on Monday afternoon. Per him, some stretches around Pidugurallu are full of potholes, and the stretch between Sullurpet to Chennai is very bad. He was driving mostly in the dark amid heavy rain, so it took him around 11 hours either way, including breaks.

Looks like heavy rains have taken a toll on the route to Chennai via Nalgonda and Addanki.
vnabhi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2019, 07:29   #783
BHPian

Hi all
I am thinking of travelling from hyd to chennai in my father in law's indica on the 28th of september2019.The vehicle has just completed 3000kms after a complete engine rebuild in last 6months.

All fluids would be changed as a part of service.Planning to drive at max 80-90kmph with a break of 15-20 mins every 3hrs.I ll mostly start in morning at 6:30to reach there max by even6:30or 7:00.This is to leave the vehicle there as its needed.

I would request you to help me with the status of road. Any precautions as i m planning to go with family including a 7year old and a 4yr old.

Also exploring an option of hiring a driver if required,not sure if thats feasable.

Request help and guidance.

Regards
Sushil.
Old 13th October 2019, 17:08   #784
Team-BHP Support

Is there any update on the road conditions for the Addanki route.

Has it become better or gone worse around Piduguralla.
Old 16th October 2019, 14:54   #785
Senior - BHPian

Took NAM both ways. Started onward at 0210 and entered ORR about 1400, with 2 naps and lunch stop hunt around Narketapalli which costed about 2.5-3 hours overall.

Return started from Ameerpet at 1700, took a cool 2.5 hours to the fuel stop at Chottupal. From here it was a breeze. Entered NH5 at 2330. Musunuru toll was unusually crowded, which took 10 min to clear. Reached home at 0425.

Fastag is enabled on all lanes in NH5 and NH9 and every NH toll was a breeze. NAM tolls on the other hand were crap, especially Elchuru was the slowest. These were among the slowest cash lanes I've ever seen. Took 5 min on each toll on the onward in the morning, the return about 2030-2330 was faster.

Torrential rains all the way from Ongole till Karanodai.

The diversions and 2-lane sections on NAM popup with little to no warning.

Inspite of the above, the mild traffic on this route plus ORR makes this instantly my de-facto Madras-Shirdi route Just that it needs more planning for stops.
narayans80 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th October 2019, 20:39   #786
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post

Torrential rains all the way from Ongole till Karanodai.
Thanks for the update. I was all set to drive out to Chennai with my family on 15-October. But a last minute weather check showed heavy clouds all over Nellore.

So I cancelled the plan and decided to go back to sleep.

Since I would have had two young kids in my car, I think it was a good decision to skip the trip.
Old 16th October 2019, 20:58   #787
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I was all set to drive out to Chennai with my family on 15-October.
You could have done it I was doing this drive with 2 kids as well. Only the TN section of NH5 (Tada-Karanodai) was annoying with trucks driving middle of 2 lanes. Standing water in the diversions too were manageable. Was doing 90 and cruise with short bursts till 100 throughout.
Old 12th November 2019, 16:05   #788
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
For a comfortable journey.

Hyderabad, Narketpally, Miryalaguda, Addanki, Ongole.
Did anyone do this stretch in recent past?
Please advise on the road conditions. Planning to start at 2.30 pm noon from hyderabad and reach ongole by 8.30 pm.
Old 12th November 2019, 17:31   #789
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmind View Post
Did anyone do this stretch in recent past?
Please advise on the road conditions. Planning to start at 2.30 pm noon from hyderabad and reach ongole by 8.30 pm.
Did a month back, nothing alarmingly different from what's been written in the recent pages. Few town crossings have average/bad sections, all very much manageable.

Took 4.5 hours from Chottupal to NH5 exit at Medarmetla (1930-0000).
narayans80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 09:41   #790
Senior - BHPian

Are there any stay options on NAM or on NH9 before entering ORR? Beyond Ongole, the only decent place I saw scrolling through Google Maps was one Swagath Grand in Miryalguda.

It is just for an overnight stay, primarily to catch up a few hours sleep and continue the journey. Idea is not to lose time entering/exiting, hence the preference to look outside of Hyderabad.
Old 25th November 2019, 12:09   #791
BHPian

You can check Manorama Inn. Its inside Nalgonda town so you would have to take the route via the town instead of the bypass. However the town itself is pretty small and you shouldnt have any issues with traffic and things like that. Else you can bypass Nalgonda and go back in to town since this hotel is nearer to Narketpalli side than MLG side.

Havent stayed there but Nalgonda is my adopted hometown and I heard good reviews from townsfolk.

Last edited by racer_ash : 25th November 2019 at 12:23.
racer_ash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 13:52   #792
BHPian

There is one VJR Treebo hotel opposite to Ramoji film city. Not sure about the goodness as I have not stayed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Are there any stay options on NAM or on NH9 before entering ORR? Beyond Ongole, the only decent place I saw scrolling through Google Maps was one Swagath Grand in Miryalguda.

It is just for an overnight stay, primarily to catch up a few hours sleep and continue the journey. Idea is not to lose time entering/exiting, hence the preference to look outside of Hyderabad.
Old 7th January 2020, 13:03   #793
Senior - BHPian

Update on the Road conditions.
Onward was Hyderabad- Kurnool- Cuddapah-Renigunta- Chennai

Hyderabad to Cuddapah

Excellent roads throughout completely four laned tolled road .
Kurnool town has a bypass.Never knew when I crossed Nandyal as it has a nice flyover.

Cuddapah - Renigunta.

Good roads throughout small towns inbetween slows down the progress.
It is dual carriage with with good shoulders .
Main issues is with overtaking with underpowered vehicles saw two car being towed due to accidents .

Renigunta - Chennai

Dual Carriage way was raining throughout upto Thiruvallur.

Return.

Chennai - Ongole - Pidugurala- Nalgonda- Hyderabad

Puzal upto Sunnabukulam

Flyover costructions are still continuing abour 5 of them.

Sunnambukulam -Ongole

Till Nellore four laned.Post Nellore 6 laned .Excellent condition two Flyover construction over the villages inbetween is still going on.

Ongole -Addanki -Pidugurala-Nalgonda- Hyderabad

Four laned tolled road after Addanki . Fast tag cannot be used and only cash in NAM expressway.3 tolls in this stretch. Pidugurala town does not have a bypass.
Nalgonda bypass my car touched an epic 2 lakhs kms in the odo.
Nalgonda - Hyderabad four laned good roads
gajadonga is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th January 2020, 13:49   #794
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajadonga View Post
Would love to know the timings you took for the Kurnool-Kadapa route. Is APTDC Kadapa the only place for food between Renigunta and Kurnool bypass, or are there other options?
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2020, 14:09   #795
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajadonga View Post
Onward was Hyderabad- Kurnool- Cuddapah-Renigunta- Chennai

Hi Gajadonga, this would not have come at more appropriate time. I am driving tommorow morning to Hyderabad and planning to take the Hyd - Cuddapah - Chennai in return on weekend. I was discussing this route with Narayan yesterday and specifically my worry was how good restops, restaurants between Kurnool and cudapah/Renigunta. How is the traffic between cudappah and Renigunta? if I need to enter Cudapah for Food, how is the traffic inside the town. I see lots of food options inside the town hence if the traffic is manageable i wouldnt mind going inside for good food/ Clean restrooms as I am travelling with family.

Most Viewed