Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2008, 13:55   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriturl View Post
It happened with me during my first drive to Tirupati around 4 years ago. You see the sign boards on right side, and its a hard right turn.
In night your headlights donot reach the sign bard, and you easily miss it.
Exactly, It was also my first trip to Tirupati and somehow I forgot after puncture incident that I have to turn right from NH 18, so went straight. There were 3 - 4 people walking on the road at night, I asked them and they told me the direction. Even while asking them direction was also scary as that area of AP is naxalite infested and there was no village nearby atleast I can see at night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya_nars View Post
Oops! It was bad to get tyre punctured in night. This reminds me to take emergency light/torch while taking long trip. Btw is yours tube-one or tube-less tyre?
I always carry a torch and an cigarette lighter lamp in car. Good that It was with me that night. I feel a light/torch is must to carry, if you drive at night.

Mine is Maruti 800 and it has stock JK tyres with tubes.
Old 10th September 2008, 18:07   #32
Senior - BHPian

Very clean and detailed explanation of the route and visit. Thanks.

Quote:
Reached Tirumala at 1pm. Luckily, found the internet counter (to get rooms allocated for e-Accommodation bookings) right there itself - got rooms allocated and headed straight to the room
e-Accomodation - You mean, you booked it when you reached there? Or you just collected the booking details and keys from there?

Quote:
refreshed ourselves and joined the queue by 2:15pm - didn't take lunch. We came out at 4:15pm
That was fast. What dharsan was that? Did you got the e-dharsan booked before?
Old 10th September 2008, 19:05   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Very clean and detailed explanation of the route and visit. Thanks.

e-Accomodation - You mean, you booked it when you reached there? Or you just collected the booking details and keys from there?

That was fast. What dharsan was that? Did you got the e-dharsan booked before?
I reserved it thro online before going and just collected details/keys. Earlier, the collection counter was in other place - too crowded, now, new one makes it very simple.

There is no e-darshan - only e-seva option available, but it was fully booked. So, I booked for regular Rs 50 darshan in malleswaram before I go there and just joined the queue. That day, it wasn't crowded much and hence could come out faster.
Old 17th September 2008, 17:42   #34
BHPian

Hi,

Visited Thirupati on 13th spetember, through APTDC. It was ok except for the careless behaviour of the APTDC staff and the guide. Also, they will really make you run along with them, at the temple premises, if you have aged people with you, they may have a bad time.

Road conditions are really good and never felt any real bad patches of road. Left bangalore by 7.30 pm and reached there by 1.30 am. We were given some time to freshen up at a decent place (APTDC again, just functional) and we were out after Darshan by 6.30. Return trip, it looks like they purposefully make it very slow, and reach bangalore by 5pm. Felt that we could cover the distance easily in 4 hrs in car.

Saw some pretty long ques for private vehicles at the base of tirumala. Is that security check or parking? Any bookings to be done in advance if we take our own vehicle?

Thanks,
Venu.
Old 17th September 2008, 18:49   #35
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrvarier View Post
Saw some pretty long ques for private vehicles at the base of tirumala. Is that security check or parking? Any bookings to be done in advance if we take our own vehicle?
That is the Alipiri checkpost - all vehicles have to undergo the security check before going up the road to Tirumala. There is no special procedure (for security check) if you take your own vehicle - reach Alipiri and join the queue.

If you take the road to the left of the Tirumala road, that road leads to a T junction of NH205 (right takes you to Pileru & Madanapalle)
Old 13th November 2008, 15:03   #36
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore to Tirupati / Tirumala

Last week I went from BLR to Tirumala and below are the directions. Most of the route from BLR to Chittor bypass is straight and one just needs to follow the road...

16 St KR Puram Bridge (distance check)
18 L Fork - keep Left
26.8 St NH 207 (to Sarjapur on RHS - take this turn while return journey)
30.5 St (reached Hoskete)
32 St Tri-Fork - keep in center
68.8 R Fork - Keep Right (reached Kolar)
99.2 St (reached Mulbagal)
131 Slow down - Two speed breakers
141.5 St (reached Palmaner)
149-153 Slow down – Wavy road
161.6 Bharat Petroleum Co owned Petrol Pump – reliable
163.3 & 166.3 Slow down – Cut in the road
177.5 L on Chittoor Bypass
183.5 St intersection
188 L on NH 18
201.8 R towards Tirupati (SH61)
207 Slow down Road Divider with speed breaker
243 St Join NH 205
245.6 L towards Alipiri (reached Tirupati)
252 Arrived at Alipiri

Start from Alipiri
0 Take Alpiri Bypass Road immediately next to Alipiri (marked for Bangalore)
(This is road on left to road which goes to Tirumala)
6.5 R Turn Right (on NH 205)
9.0 L Fork – Keep left (on SH 61)
13.7 R Turn Right
46 Slow down – Road Divider with speed breakers
51.6 St Meet NH 18
65.2 R Chittoor Bypass
69.5 St Intersection
75.6 R on NH 4 (Exiting Chittoor)
86.7 & 89.7 Slow down – Cut in the road
91.5 Bharat Petroleum Co operated Petrol pump for re-fueling
103 Slow down – Wavy Road
111.7 St Intersection with NH 219 (reached Palmaner)
116.6 R Fork – Keep right
122 Slow down two speed breakers
152.5 R Fork – Keep right (Reached Mulbagal)
153.7 L Fork – Keep Left
178.3 L Fork – Keep left (Reached Kolar)
184.3 St Fork – Keep Right
222.7 St Fork – Keep Right (Reached Hoskete)
226.2 L Fork – Turn Left on NH 207 (if you reach a pond, you have missed this turn)
There is another turn at 222.7 km before to old NH 207, this is within Hoskete, skip this. The next one to take is more isolated turn.
234.4 St Intersection (Channasandra Main Rd)
237.4 R Fork – Turn Right on Varthur Road (if you reach a pond on right, you have missed this turn)
242.2 L Turn Left on Outer Ring road
248.2 R Sarjapur Rd
253.3 St Silk Board
257 L Arrived

Notes
• The Chittoor bypass Road is in bad condition.
• Road has very bad bus & truck traffic, saw 5 fresh accidents, 2 were very bad head-ons. Be very careful of overtaking buses and trucks. Many places both lanes are occupied by opposite direction vehicles and there is no shoulder space of the road too. At least 2 times I had to completely get off road to give way to the opposite direction heavy vehicles.
• Reliance A1 plaza between Palmaner & Chittoor has closed down, Use BP instead as marked in the directions. Do not try any petrol pump as I have had very bad experience with adulterated fuel.
• While going you need to take the road on right (then left and left) at Alipiri to get security clearance and come back to the Alpiri entrance
• I have referred Alpiri as the starting point for Tirumala uphill climb, not sure what is it actually called.
• Please keep check of km variation at milestones, I had 3 km variations by end of route each side, yours speedo may vary. This would help you in following these directions accurately.
• Tirupati to Tirumala is about 20 km drive, here while deep turns are marked, hair pin bends are not marked. Road is one-way and a pleasant drive with couple of view points.
• It should take 4-5 hours from Bangalore border (KR Puram Bridge) to Tirumala.

Last edited by ST7677 : 13th November 2008 at 15:11.
Old 13th November 2008, 15:54   #37
BANNED

What is the status of 4 laning upto Mulbagilu? That cut in the road between Chittoor and Palamner is something else, isn't it?
Also, what is the status of the left turn after Hosakote - the one that passes by Brindavan (Sai Baba Ashram)?

Though the A1 has closed down, the restaurant is doing roaring business. All KSRTC buses stop there, I think.

Last edited by hrag : 13th November 2008 at 15:57.
Old 26th February 2009, 11:47   #38
BHPian

I'll be driving to Tirupati next week, anyone went recently and any updates on route condition, etc?

Last time, no bunk could fill air. This time, I'll fill it while starting, but wondering if any bunk on the way or in Tirupati to fill air, you guyz found?
Old 27th February 2009, 16:26   #39

hii..

I had been to Thirupathy last week. But we took the rail route as no one was quiet excited like me on driving from Kochi till Tirupathy.

Regarding the accommodation, BHIMA is a good one in thiripathi and another is Kalyan. But if u are planning for early morning Darshn, its better to stay in Thirumala itself. It was heavy rush when we went there. Luckily we got a room in Kashi madom, a room with 3 cots.

If u can get the arrangements done for AAD from banglore,its better. Or else u gotta stand in the queue in the Vijaya Bank Seva Counter near the Tirumala Bus Stand, to take the tickets. Each person who wants darshan has to be in queue i think, they barcode our photos taken in the web cam in ticket counter. They issue it there between 8 PM and 9PM ( i'm not sure if there are other timings also ).

Last edited by Jomzgf : 27th February 2009 at 16:42.
Old 2nd March 2009, 21:15   #40
BHPian

I anyway have booked for room & seva thro online.
Old 9th March 2009, 12:49   #41

Hi

I'm planning to drive to Tirupati next week - have got lots of info from this thread and others on the directions. Had a quick question though - we plan to walk up the hill from Alipiri. Does anyone know if there's a place to park the car for a day (and night)?

The idea is to drive to a parking lot (hopefully closer to the foot hills), walk up, stay overnight and an early morning darshan, come back down (take a bus) and drive back to Bangalore

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated

Sesha
Old 9th March 2009, 13:32   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sesha View Post
Hi

I'm planning to drive to Tirupati next week - have got lots of info from this thread and others on the directions. Had a quick question though - we plan to walk up the hill from Alipiri. Does anyone know if there's a place to park the car for a day (and night)?

The idea is to drive to a parking lot (hopefully closer to the foot hills), walk up, stay overnight and an early morning darshan, come back down (take a bus) and drive back to Bangalore

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated

Sesha
Since private buses are not allowed up hill, they park them near the Alipiri bus depot, walking distance away from the toll gate where walk way starts. I guess it is allowed to park there, but not sure if they give a parking coupon etc., to atleast make us feel safe.
Old 30th April 2009, 23:17   #43
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I am going to Tirupati on 6th May[I did last year too but in day time] , Can anyone tell me till what time we can go to tirumala[Balkaji temple] from tirupati in night. Also i heard , vehicles are not allowed after 9 PM .

i am expecting to reach tirupati by 7PM in eve. My Darshan timing is 04.30 am.
Old 4th November 2009, 12:22   #44
BHPian

Hey Guys,

Can anyone brief me about the present road condition of route from Bangalore to Tirupathi / Tirumala.
Thanks in advance.
Old 4th November 2009, 19:30   #45
BHPian

I travelled to Tirupathi on 25th Oct. I have taken the route through Mallur whie going to Tirupathi and retun via Hoskote. The details are as below

1. (Blr/HSR Layout-Whitefield HopeFarm Jn-Mallur-Kolar-Mulbagal-Chitoor-Tirupathy)
The road between Whitefield and Mallur is good but has some rough patches. Mallur to KOlar is a two lane with goo surface. 4 laning work in progress on Kolar-Mulbalagal (30 kms ) and we need to change anes frequently. The road is good from Mulbagal

Time taken : 4 hrs ( Starte from HSR Layout at 3.00 PM)

2. Tirupathi-Chitoor-Mulbagal-Kolar-Hoskote-Whitefield-HSR Layout

4 laning work between Bangalore and MUlbagal and its a pain to drive on the road during night

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks