Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2009, 15:04   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
Reviving an old thread.

I have an early morning appointment at Dehra Dun on a Sunday Morning in April. Before people suggest I drive (actually in my case, walk) across to Nizamuddin station and take the 11.00 p.m. train to Dehradun, let me explain the catch: I have to be in Delhi by evening after my appointment, for which timing there are no trains. So because of my return schedule, I have to take my Palio.

Can anyone offer any advice / information about the following programme?

1. Leaving Delhi for Dehradun on Sunday early morning is not really feasible and cutting it too fine. So I intend to drive down on Saturday afternoon and spend the night in Dehradun. Realistically speaking, what time should I leave Delhi in order to cross Roorkee (basically cross infamous U.P. roads) by dusk and reach Dehradun by 8.00 pm or so?

2. I know Delhi-Meerut would take 2-2.5 hours. How long would it take from Meerut to Dehradun? I know its about 170 kms.

3. Any pointers in terms of routes and by-passes? I am taking the Delhi - Mohan Nagar - Ghaziabad - Modinagar - Meerut (by-pass) - Muzaffarnagar - Roorkee - Chhutmalpur - Dehradun route. Is there a by-pass for Muzaffarnagar?

4. How are the roads after Meerut? I am familiar with Delhi-Meerut. I believe it's similar ahead except for being undivided. Is it much worse than that?

Thanks in advance.
There is also a muzaffarnagar byepass/rurkee byepass which was being laid out last time we were there abt an year ago, roads after meerut are better than delhi-meerut, I think they are divided (can't say for sure) - it's best you leave by 2:00 PM to reach there by 8:00
Old 21st March 2009, 15:26   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
what time should I leave Delhi in order to cross Roorkee (basically cross infamous U.P. roads) by dusk and reach Dehradun by 8.00 pm or so?

2. I know Delhi-Meerut would take 2-2.5 hours. How long would it take from Meerut to Dehradun? I know its about 170 kms.

3. Any pointers in terms of routes and by-passes? I am taking the Delhi - Mohan Nagar - Ghaziabad - Modinagar - Meerut (by-pass) - Muzaffarnagar - Roorkee - Chhutmalpur - Dehradun route. Is there a by-pass for Muzaffarnagar?

4. How are the roads after Meerut? I am familiar with Delhi-Meerut. I believe it's similar ahead except for being undivided. Is it much worse than that?
@ architect: Would like to draw your attention to another post by me on another thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1221523-post5.html
describing a route to bypass a lot of HMV traffic in the early afternoon on NH58. Delhi-Dehradun will take at least 6 hours (280 km), so latest time for you to leave Delhi would be 2PM. Roads after Meerut are quite OK surfacewise, and widened in some parts.

Would suggest an alternate route to Dehradun - faster - 5.5 hrs max, but longer distance (325km). Take NH1 to the Kurukshetra crossing, turn right towards Jagadhri, carry on till Paonta Sahib, and finally come to Dehradun from the Vijaynagar side.
Old 22nd March 2009, 19:37   #33
BHPian

I lived in Muzaffarnagar for 15 years. Night Security is suspect mainly on bypass roads. In travelling in night, travel thru Muzaffarnagar and Meerut city and avoid bypass roads. Main roads are heavily travelled so normally no security issues unless your luck is bad. Still it will be prudent to reach your destination before 12 in the night.

Road manners and etiquettes are absent from that belt so dont get into any argument with any body.
Old 15th March 2016, 10:15   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Noida to Mussoorie : Route Queries

Any updates on the road from noida to mussoorie? And the most unimpeded raasta?
I am looking to head out mid april
Old 3rd May 2017, 17:33   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Any updates on the road from noida to mussoorie? And the most unimpeded raasta?
I am looking to head out mid april
Mayankk. Did you make this trip? Which route did you take and how are the road conditions? Planning to drive in the next week.
Old 3rd May 2017, 17:41   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptushar View Post
Mayankk. Did you make this trip? Which route did you take and how are the road conditions? Planning to drive in the next week.
Took the meerut muzaffarnagar route only, the shortest one GMaps. I dont really remember anything about the drive now, which can be a good thing. That means there was nothing untoward on the way.
mayankk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2017, 17:46   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Took the meerut muzaffarnagar route only, the shortest one GMaps. I dont really remember anything about the drive now, which can be a good thing. That means there was nothing untoward on the way.
Thanks Mayankk. Is the road 4 lane all the way? Are you aware of the location of the UP RTO checkpost as soon as you enter UP from Delhi?
Old 25th May 2017, 08:45   #38
BHPian

Went to Rishikesh couple of weeks back with a friend from Noida. The Roads are well laid for almost 80% of the distance. Its just from Rurkee to Rishikesh where lot of road work is going on. We travelled at night. (8PM to 2AM) with a stopover for food and it was a effortless and un-stressful drive.

Last edited by Switch : 25th May 2017 at 08:47.
Old 21st July 2018, 11:14   #39
Team-BHP Support

Re: Noida to Mussoorie : Route Queries

We recently did a trip Gurgaon - Dehradun (halt) - Mussoorie, and Mussoorie - Haridwar (halt) - Gurgaon.

The onward journey:

https://goo.gl/maps/Y3GFJF5BmAv

The Upper Ganga Canal road is pretty impressive; although single lane, it doesn't have a lot of traffic and has good tarmac. Watch out for the crossings every kms (10-15ish). This road helps bypass Sahranpur, Roorkee and Meerut.

The Mussoorie road is in good condition (as of last week) but watch out for landslides (there was a lot of rain last week).

The return journey:

https://goo.gl/maps/3j4WacZexPw

This route was a mistake as around 30kms of it is through narrow, non-descript village roads. We didn't want to take the route through Rishikesh (to avoid being stuck due to landslides). Would advise the longer but better route through Sahranpur.

At a couple of places (from Haridwar - Gurgaon), when there was traffic on Upper Ganga Canal road, Google Maps diverted us through fields and that was a big mistake. Google seems to have tweaked their algorithm to find the fastest way possible, disregarding the capability/condition of the road. I'd suggest you taking established SH/NH than town/village roads.
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks